Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Death By The Blues posted:

Hey you Gooooooons,

toss me ideas for some of the best lit horror/supernatural movies you know. Bonus points for kooky or colourful lighting and slight mustiness. Trying to scrounge up a list for the DOP.

E: Also, anyone with rad uses of slow push ins.

The Haunting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

noice

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
They Shot Dark Movies Too, Didn't They?

fourth tranche:

Notorious (1946)
One Way Street (1950)
Pickup On South Street (1953)
Pitfall (1948)
Plunder Road (1957)
The Prowler (1951)
Pushover (1954)
Railroaded (1947)
Raw Deal (1948)
The Red House (1947)
Ruthless (1948)
Scarlet Street (1945)
The Second Woman (1950)
Secret Beyond The Door (1947)
Shock (1946)
So Dark The Night (1946)
Somewhere In The Night (1946)
Spellbound (1945)
The Strange Affair Of Uncle Harry (1945)

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Is it the closet scene? I think my favorite lighting moment in any Carpenter film is the part in The Thing where MacReady's underground, planting the explosives. That entire scene is just 👌

It's clearly the part where they bring up a dimmer and he materializes in the doorway

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Caught Park Chan-wook's The Handmaiden last night. I liked it well enough, but part of me wishes that it really was just a straight story about a handmaiden who gets seduced and then locked up in an insane asylum. Don't get me wrong, Park's usual twists-and-turns are entertaining in their own right, and how the story plays out works in the fantastic, "Sade-esque" context of the story, but, ya know, dif' strokes.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

K. Waste posted:

Caught Park Chan-wook's The Handmaiden last night. I liked it well enough, but part of me wishes that it really was just a straight story about a handmaiden who gets seduced and then locked up in an insane asylum. Don't get me wrong, Park's usual twists-and-turns are entertaining in their own right, and how the story plays out works in the fantastic, "Sade-esque" context of the story, but, ya know, dif' strokes.

It does kinda get weaker as it goes, but it's still strong enough throughout that it wasn't a problem for me.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

K. Waste posted:

Though cool on it overall, I was amused that the film's climactic outburst was triggered by an erotic drawing of an octupus wrapping itself around a woman.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Death By The Blues posted:

Hey you Gooooooons,

toss me ideas for some of the best lit horror/supernatural movies you know. Bonus points for kooky or colourful lighting and slight mustiness. Trying to scrounge up a list for the DOP.

E: Also, anyone with rad uses of slow push ins.

All I can offer up is Frailty and American Psycho, both of which barely qualify as horror. I feel like Alien had some neat stuff with lighting to keep the effects looking realistic, too.

But man, like half the most iconic scenes in Frailty are done with lighting.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I nominate The Thing's opening title effect for best use of lighting in a horror film.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Coaaab posted:

Though cool on it overall, I was amused that the film's climactic outburst was triggered by an erotic drawing of an octupus wrapping itself around a woman.

Yeah, that was another inane emotional point for me. Like, I understood its significance narratively and metaphorically, but on a visceral level I just can't abide destroying a library... :[

THEY BELONG IN A MUSEUM!!!!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

K. Waste posted:

Yeah, that was another inane emotional point for me. Like, I understood its significance narratively and metaphorically, but on a visceral level I just can't abide destroying a library... :[

I'm a librarian and I was still totally cool with it.

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot
Libraries more like liberalaries

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Libraries, where homeless people shower.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Dark Archie is weird enough that I honestly can't decide if it's amazing or terrible

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Apparently the WWE is releasing a movie about a telekinetic teen magician that battles drug dealers?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Man, I am sick as hell today, but right now I'm doing my best to make sure it does not prevent me from seeing a movie where an alien pulls a fetus out of a woman by the umbilical cord (accompanied by the MK "get over here!" sfx) and then smokes it in a blunt

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

glam rock hamhock posted:

Man, I am sick as hell today, but right now I'm doing my best to make sure it does not prevent me from seeing a movie where an alien pulls a fetus out of a woman by the umbilical cord (accompanied by the MK "get over here!" sfx) and then smokes it in a blunt

Prometheus sequel is out already?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
So from what I've seen the new Resident Evil is hilarious.
It's somewhere between Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 and Evil Dead 2.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

K. Waste posted:

It was a symbolic destruction of patriarchal ownership of Lady Hideko's body. also the most appropriate revenge against that monster.

and I just generally liked that The Handmaiden had a happy ending, and that a period film about two women falling in love can have a happy ending in these times. :3:

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

[gently, kindly] The show is called Dark Archie

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
or "darchie" for short

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Magic Hate Ball posted:

or "darchie" for short

Nah, I prefer "darkie". But people keep scowling at me when I say that for some reason.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Jenny Angel posted:

[gently, kindly] The show is called Dark Archie

I kindly refuse your assertion.

Especially after you ignored my pig picture

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

K. Waste posted:

Have you seen the 1960 Housemaid by Kim Ki Young? I haven't seen the Park Chan Wook movie yet but it's impossible there's no influence there.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

DeimosRising posted:

Have you seen the 1960 Housemaid by Kim Ki Young? I haven't seen the Park Chan Wook movie yet but it's impossible there's no influence there.

As I understand it, Park's film is actually an adaptation of a 2002 British novel, with the setting changed to Korea under colonial Japan. I hadn't even heard of The Housemaid, but I'll have to check it out somehow. (The only YT upload is 'stabilized' to shittyness, and the only Western print available is that choice Martin Scorcese World Cinema Project box set Criterion put out. It's apparently on iTunes, though.)

Interestingly, The Housemaid was remade in 2010, and that is currently streaming on Netflix, and doubtless other platforms.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

K. Waste posted:

As I understand it, Park's film is actually an adaptation of a 2002 British novel, with the setting changed to Korea under colonial Japan. I hadn't even heard of The Housemaid, but I'll have to check it out somehow. (The only YT upload is 'stabilized' to shittyness, and the only Western print available is that choice Martin Scorcese World Cinema Project box set Criterion put out. It's apparently on iTunes, though.)

Interestingly, The Housemaid was remade in 2010, and that is currently streaming on Netflix, and doubtless other platforms.

I know it's not a remake or readaptation but The Housemaid is one of the all time major Korean horror classics. It definitely had an influence on Stoker.

Edit: you missed it on TCM recently, I have it recorded from November I think.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
people who put up movies on youtube & then apply motion stabilization r morally incorrect

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hat Thoughts posted:

people who put up movies on youtube & then apply motion stabilization r morally incorrect

I upload movie to youtube but autotune everything to C like that one Smashmouth soundcloud.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
300 but every time a spartan dies it's Richard Spencer getting punched in slow motion

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Jenny Angel posted:

Who's all gonna watch Dark Archie with me

https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/824754438137139202

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Hat Thoughts posted:

I've been watching a lot of movie trailers on youtube lately and it kinda blows my mind how the official movie studio Youtube accounts will sometimes have the worst compressed garbage uploaded. Fox not keeping HD trailers up for the 2005 Fantastic Four movie is one thing, but WB and New Line not having an HD trailer for Blade is pretty lame.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Does this mean he's gonna gently caress a burger?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

ruddiger posted:

I've been watching a lot of movie trailers on youtube lately and it kinda blows my mind how the official movie studio Youtube accounts will sometimes have the worst compressed garbage uploaded. Fox not keeping HD trailers up for the 2005 Fantastic Four movie is one thing, but WB and New Line not having an HD trailer for Blade is pretty lame.

The ones that bug me the most are music videos, like the official channel only has it in 240p but i can find at least a 480p version on some random channel?? rly??

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Are we talking about The Haunting where Owen Wilson gets decapitated by a stone lions head? Then yes.

But thank you for the Argento and Carpenter suggestions. Those will be helpful.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

The new Resident Evil movie wasn't bad but it did suffer from three problems. First, definitely feels like there should've been another movie in between the last one and this one that focused on President Wesker and the White House Throwdown. Second, little too much of a retread of 4 with the whole tower defense thing, didn't add a hell of a lot to the plot and feels like someone jammed a sidequest into the movie. Third and most importantly, not really as dumb as it could've been. Still generally enjoyable.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I'm gonna be in LA next week and probably spend most of my time looking at cool movie-related poo poo. What should I go see? I'm staying at a hotel in Hollywood not far from the Chinese Theater, but I'm willing to hike/uber a bit.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jughead's not been asexual since at least the late 80s.

loving casuals.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Did he ever gently caress Ethel?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

DC Murderverse posted:

I'm gonna be in LA next week and probably spend most of my time looking at cool movie-related poo poo. What should I go see? I'm staying at a hotel in Hollywood not far from the Chinese Theater, but I'm willing to hike/uber a bit.

The Egyptian Theater's right down the block from Mann's Chinese Theater, here's a link to their schedule

http://aerotheatre.com

The New Beverly Cinema and the Silent Movie Theater are two other art house theaters close to the Hollywood area.

http://thenewbev.com

http://cinefamily.org

The diner from Pulp Fiction and the restaurant where DeNiro and Pacino have their sit down in Heat are both out of business (and they just shut down the Formosa, the dive bar from Swingers), but the diner from the opening of Reservoir Dogs is still open and located in Eagle Rock. It's called Pat & Lorraine's and I recommend their breakfast if you decide to check it out. Cash only tho. Here's the Yelp page.

Pat & Lorraine's - https://www.yelp.com/biz/pat-and-lorraines-coffee-shop-los-angeles

The Dresden was the other bar they go to in Swingers, I'm pretty sure that one's still open, it's located on Vermont, east of Hollywood. The area the Dresden's in is pretty trendy too, with a couple little theaters nearby (the Los Feliz 3 and the Vista) and some other bars and restaurants that make up the Vermont/Los Feliz area.

If you're looking for a little more seedier experience, Cheetah's and Jumbo's are two go-go dancing bars that attract big crowds. Jumbo's is a clown-themed bar, but it's crazy popular for whatever reason, and there's usually a line to get in.

If you're looking to catch any live music, The Echo/Echoplex, The Satellite, The Roxy, Troubadour, and the Fonda are all really good venues, and the Echo does themed dance nights which are usually pretty cool.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Hat Thoughts posted:

Every time someone uploads a video to Youtube in portrait mode, Jesus weeps.

Seriously.

Though, it almost makes Demolition Man prophetic.

• Locked thread