Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Milo and POTUS posted:

I'm not defending it, shithead.

yeesh dude that wasn't even directed at you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

abigserve posted:

If doing an accent can be considered racist now I guess yeah then its racist as hell

Krusty is just doing an accent here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kx6-NzLpf0

If you can recognize ^^that as a hosed up caricature of asian people you can possibly extend that understanding to why indian people have issue with Apu.

Scudworth fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 12, 2018

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

ugh

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
that nod marks the moment where the simpson's once-thought limitless cache of goodness was finally spent, imo

lol what a fuckin disgrace of a show

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

NiceGuy posted:

that nod marks the moment where the simpson's once-thought limitless cache of goodness was finally spent, imo

lol what a fuckin disgrace of a show

Before I just thought that the new episodes were terrible but still thought it was kinda quaint that the show was still making new episodes.

Now I’m angry and hope it gets canned after season 30.

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Imagine if you made a show where all white people were portrayed as being racist as gently caress, I guarantee that all of the people who are okay with Apu would be mad about it.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I honestly can't tell whether it's this or the reversed dancing gay horse that's the laziest piece of animation.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
apu is racist and survived for so long being racist because for a long time it was okay to mock Indians and other Asians on tv.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!

Improbable Lobster posted:

Apu is voiced by a white guy doing a racist accent

Hank Azaria is Persian Jewish iirc

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
The Apu thing is mostly a symptom of the rest of the show, that it should have died in the late 90s

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

LinYutang posted:

is he indian

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

LinYutang posted:

so...a white guy. hes not indian and the simpsons, instead of realizing apu is an antiquated character, doubled down on their hard 16 and got a 10

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.
who voiced bumblebee man? I wish I could believe the answer won't shake me to my very core

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Dylan McKay posted:

who voiced bumblebee man? I wish I could believe the answer won't shake me to my very core

In slight defense of bumblebee man, he was made as a parody of a popular Spanish television show. He also doesn't have a stereotypical "Mexican" job like a gardener or janitor or something, and he doesn't live in a Spanish Pueblo or some poo poo with tons of kids running around.

Also he's voiced by Hank Azaria, Apu's voice actor.

Fe: oh God imagine if grounds keeper Willie was grounds keeper Juan.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
On the Clerks:TAS DVD commentary tracks, didn't they talk about how they had an actor who was doing an 'Indian' voice for a character and he proceeded to go through different specific regional accents to get them to clarify which one they wanted?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Asian actors playing asian characters are told to sound like the caricature that white people invented to imitate them

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
Simpsons will keep going. Uppity millenials will get shocked and offended by something else and just complain that simpsons hasnt been good since monorail.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

Simpsons will keep going. Uppity millenials will get shocked and offended by something else and just complain that simpsons hasnt been good since monorail.

Simpson's ratings have been steadily falling for more than 10 seasons

Junk
Dec 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Accents aren't racist. They have more to do with where you're from than what color your skin is.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Nobody tell this thread that Samurai Jack is voiced by a black man.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Bart Simpson, a boy, being voiced by a woman is very hosed up. No one can understand the pain it causes.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Bumblebee Man is just working a job and clearly has a normal life outside of it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KYS6xeoBnc

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

Watched The Problem with Apu and it was interesting. If I we're in Azaria's shoes I wouldn't want to appear either.

Then I watched the episode where the Simpsons responded and I didn't quite understand why people were so hard on it. They compared themselves to Rudyard Kipling which is like the epitome of classic works not translating to a modern context. Of course the Fox player broke or something and I didn't finish the episode, so what

The show and the character should have been retired 10+ years ago anyways so whatever

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
They should not show Apu again and tell that hipster idiot to shut up.

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

I liked the part of the doc where he shows his earlier stereotypical standup where's he's playing up his accent and it's getting raucous laughs, then he shows his modern woke standup and it gets tepid chuckles

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

PostNouveau posted:

The longer clip is worse. For context, Marge has edited a beloved book from her childhood because she hasn't read it in decades, realized it was racist and is trying to reshape it into something Lisa will love.

https://twitter.com/LevineJonathan/status/983350019892891648

christ why did I watch this

also lmao marge's voice now, just stop already

Junk
Dec 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
The best laughter comes from good, clean, inoffensive fun.

So this medical caregiver of indeterminate gender - because nurses can be male or female - says to his or her disabled, or should I say differently-abled patient, "why do you have a penguin on your head? They're endangered!"

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
Jesus gently caress, whole lotta white kids defending the turgid bloated corpse of the Simpsons as it gushes up bile. How much do you have to love the freedom to cavilerly make racist tone deaf jokes with no consequences to defend this heap of painfully unfunny dreck?

Seriously, look at the clip. It's so incredibly weak and painful. It's a challenge to endure modern Simpsons already, but you really want to go to bat for some unfunny fucks who can't write a joke to save their lives? Is the ability to make jokes at the expense of other races really worth this?

What the gently caress happened to Lisa?

Basically what I'm saying is that modern Simpsons is a crime worse than any racism and that bitch boys only care because their ability to make low effort jokes without consequences is perceived to be under attack. Being racist is one thing, being this unfunny is other thing entirely. :barf:

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Filthy Haiku posted:

Jesus gently caress, whole lotta white kids defending the turgid bloated corpse of the Simpsons as it gushes up bile. How much do you have to love the freedom to cavilerly make racist tone deaf jokes with no consequences to defend this heap of painfully unfunny dreck?

Seriously, look at the clip. It's so incredibly weak and painful. It's a challenge to endure modern Simpsons already, but you really want to go to bat for some unfunny fucks who can't write a joke to save their lives? Is the ability to make jokes at the expense of other races really worth this?

What the gently caress happened to Lisa?

Basically what I'm saying is that modern Simpsons is a crime worse than any racism and that bitch boys only care because their ability to make low effort jokes without consequences is perceived to be under attack. Being racist is one thing, being this unfunny is other thing entirely. :barf:

I think you're confused: we don't care about that hipster douchebag's issue. The simpsons still suck.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

THE BAR posted:

I honestly can't tell whether it's this or the reversed dancing gay horse that's the laziest piece of animation.

sorry, the what now

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

NiceGuy posted:

yeesh dude that wasn't even directed at you

its a really good gif thank you and i apologize

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

steinrokkan posted:

sorry, the what now

the dancing gay horse

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I googled it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F61wlyjJv1U

It's not good.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Beaten like a horse

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
That animation is lovecraftian

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I hate this. I hate it so much

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

Elderbean posted:

Imagine if you made a show where all white people were portrayed as being racist as gently caress, I guarantee that all of the people who are okay with Apu would be mad about it.

White people love 'Get Out' I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

really queer Christmas posted:

I hate this. I hate it so much