Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Great Beer posted:

Tell me you secrets, I want to master the ways of the bad weapon.

be really close

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.

Great Beer posted:

Tell me you secrets, I want to master the ways of the bad weapon.
I camped in a house on the edge of the circle and a guy came in and I shot them in the head from like 3 metres away. One shotted them through a lvl 2 helmet. It was super quiet, didn't attract any attention.

i.e.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Ice Fist posted:

Just had my best finish so far. Best of 5.

It gets super intense once it's down to that few. Every move you make is like watching a mini-condensed-action-thriller film

I dunno. I was at 15 left and prone in the grass in the shadow of a tree, because the tree was outside the circle. I'd spent 2 minutes or something crawling over there, seeing people snipe each other, but deciding against giving my position away, and finally repositioning to the grass when the circle closed in. A guy who was late casually ran up to the tree, saw me laying there and one-shot me. That's not action thriller, that's comedy.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Finally got a dinner with thanks to an excellent squad. Didn't do much but support but still felt real good about it.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
I'm loving this game even though I'm terrible at it. Best I've done was 10th in a squad game where I got 2 kills and it was mostly my team. Solo I've done awful because I'm still learning where to drop and usually end up with just a pistol and shotgun/smg before the circle starts. The few times I drop in on a decent loot area, I get skullfucked before I have a chance to get pimped out.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

ugh, I thought I was being so careful. Went into a build pretty quiet, wasn't moving fast, found a guy camping the roof. I know he could hear me walking anyways, but poo poo I was convinced that hardly anyone else came that way.

uuuugh.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Ok I'm gonna let you all in on a little secret... once you're in the top 10 it's all luck on the circle placements. Everyone at that point is geared and a decent shot probably. Hope this helps you make sense of your day to day

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Reloading is so slow with the pump

It would be a little better if you could fire before loading all the shells like other games where you load shells 1 by 1. But it would still be the worst because of the fire rate.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
I got this game last week and thanks to my dayz days had five solo top 10 games so far, and yeah it basically all came down to circle luck (I had bad luck every time so far).

One game I made it to 3rd and one guy did absolutely no fighting the entire time (I had a good idea of everybody's position) because the circle edge just stayed with him the whole time lol.

My strategy is to move with the border until <20 at which point I kill/drive/sneak my way to the center and hunker down at a nice spot since moving with the border when the circle is small is suicidal.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Dyz posted:

It would be a little better if you could fire before loading all the shells like other games where you load shells 1 by 1. But it would still be the worst because of the fire rate.

Press x if you ever start reloading and need to open a door

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Jimbot posted:

I was going to ask this. So they both go off? I've spammed fire on that gun before and it's gone off three times so I can never tell if both shots actually can register or if latency screws everything up. Blasting both off around the same time seems like it'd cause one to miss, no? I'm poo poo at aiming so I can't really experiment with this stuff.

Definitely both rounds are ejected from the gun immediately so I'm guessing at least two are going out.

I also personally think the S686 is the best shotgun, with a choke you'll be one-shotting most people anyway and if you miss you've got a second chance to finish it off with no downtime. The S12K has too much spread to be better in the only situation where it would be (needing more than two shots to hit someone).

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Ok I'm gonna let you all in on a little secret... once you're in the top 10 it's all luck on the circle placements. Everyone at that point is geared and a decent shot probably. Hope this helps you make sense of your day to day

I think there just needs to be more cover in certain areas, as it is the circle works fine in some places and terrible in others and it's all based on the amount of cover left. The endgame should be about pushing in and fighting while trying to stay in cover, not rushing through an empty field and crossing your fingers.

Generally I find it's best when it closes on a really hilly area as the slope acts as natural cover and there are usually a bunch of rocks and poo poo to hide behind. The absolute worst I've seen was when it closed on the eastern edge of the military base, where there is a grand total of a SINGLE FENCE to provide cover and then a bunch of flat ground. We actually won that game because we took the fence as well.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Dyz posted:

Pull the trigger mid reload.

chappey
Jan 21, 2001

uXs posted:

Where do you guys find the most scopes? Anything that isn't a red dot or holo sight is super, super rare for me, I almost never find any.

Might just be confirmation bias but I feel like I find them most often at shacks and the two-story octagonal buildings. And warehouses....

You know what, it probably IS random.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Dyz posted:

You can

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Nothing kills a posters credibility like when they imagine up some fake bullshit in a video game.

Seems random guys, were gonna need a good source to believe otherwise

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I had a lot of luck finding and kitting up SCAR-L's today and I have a quick overview for you all:

• the vertical fore grip seems to work better than the angled fire grip since most of its recoil seems to be vertical. Also the VF is significantly easier to find
  • having a silencer or a compensator makes the SCAR a goddamn laser and I absolutely should not have gotten some of the kills that I managed to get
  • two clips dumped into a vehicle will blow it up and kill everyone onboard, much to their disappointment

Also I think I've find my dream setup: kitted red dot SCAR and 4x/8x Kar98. I used to prefer a shotty or an ump but the scar is just way too versatile. The next best loadout is a SCAR with the M16 with 4x/8x although honestly I was able to switch to semi auto and toss an 8x on the SCAR in a pinch and slaughtered a four man team quickly and easily because the recoil is very light.

All in all everyone should be aiming to have a SCAR on hand for best user experience

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 07:47 on May 17, 2017

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
IIRC the 416 stock doesn't actually do anything as yet so that shouldn't be a deciding factor when choosing between the two.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Both the SCAR and M4 without a grip have a bunch of horizontal sway, making the M16 my top pick. But I would choose the SCAR over the M4, for sure.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

VulgarandStupid posted:

Both the SCAR and M4 without a grip have a bunch of horizontal sway, making the M16 my top pick. But I would choose the SCAR over the M4, for sure.

You literally can't go two feet without tripping over grips and lovely sights. I had a match yesterday where I had 6 red dog/holo and 5 grips before I chucked them all.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
I want to spend a match collecting just absolute garbage and then make it into the final circle coward style, die to someone desperate for supplies, and then cackle as they loot my body and find dozens of grips, holo sights, and crossbow quivers.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Edit: ^^^^ hahaha

Why the hell did you keep picking them up? I hate killing players, thinking I did well and then see the poo poo they've been looting lol

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Party Plane Jones posted:

IIRC the 416 stock doesn't actually do anything as yet so that shouldn't be a deciding factor when choosing between the two.

The M4's spread is significantly higher than the SCAR's, not even accounting for its horizontal recoil

VulgarandStupid posted:

I like to spray and pray while ADS'd and it's very good at that compared to the AKM. I have had awful luck with the M16 at close range due to the burst setting being kind of inconsistent for me and my clicky finger not being able to do as much work as I'd like it to

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!
reload canceling shotgun https://gfycat.com/HappySeparateBaldeagle

Also to the one who mentioned the first aid kit bait, thanks! I just used it to great effect (and the guy was carrying 6 kits already!?!?): https://gfycat.com/VibrantGraveBlackfootedferret

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

How long did you sit there for that to happen? Why bait Med kits instead of taking said kit and killing dudes

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

How long did you sit there for that to happen? Why bait Med kits instead of taking said kit and killing dudes

I switch up my play-styles depending on my mood, I am currently sick with a disrupting cough and getting into surprise firefights does not do me well, so I have chosen to do a slower paced wait and bait (hence the excessive shooting).
The guy who took the bait ended up making a ton of noise with a car before entering though, so I could have set it up before hand.

I also enjoy setting up ambushes because it lowers the chance that I will die, even when actively hunting.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

I feel you. I could do that 100 times and the guy would never go into the room I was in

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
I've come to the realization that camping buildings in the final 4 circles is a bad idea.

People just camp the hell out of the entrances waiting for you to run out when the circle encroaches on your building and forces you out.

I'm always afraid of being attacked from behind when I'm not in a building though. I need to pay more attention to where the plane flies so that I can track where people are likely to come from. Not that it helps much in the end game, but it might help me to choose the better side of the circle to stay on.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

Hamelekim posted:

I've come to the realization that camping buildings in the final 4 circles is a bad idea.

People just camp the hell out of the entrances waiting for you to run out when the circle encroaches on your building and forces you out.

I'm always afraid of being attacked from behind when I'm not in a building though. I need to pay more attention to where the plane flies so that I can track where people are likely to come from. Not that it helps much in the end game, but it might help me to choose the better side of the circle to stay on.

Use that alt key. Keep your head on a swivel.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I've always had good luck during end-game where I dive out of my car and into whatever house is left inside the white circle. I'm usually the first one there, though. Once it gets down to <20 people it definitely pays to be hugging the blue circle, you're guaranteed to have nobody behind you.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Picked this up a few days ago and can't stop playing, really should have grabbed it earlier.

Won my first squad game with 2 friends after a bunch of top 5s, and then after they left I did this in my 2nd solo game ever.

Those last couple circles are so tense, I shot a two guys in the back as the blue was closing in and then had to bob and weave as a guy was sniping at me, the moment I got in the circle I pulled out that M249 and dropped him in 2 shots. The last guy was behind that tree, I tagged him with the SKS and forced him to heal and then charged him with the M249 the moment he went prone behind the tree. The SKS did some serious work for me this game with a 4x scope, my aim is still a bit lovely to make good use of the KAR.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Something feels so off with the SKS. It's the only gun where I can't get to grips with aiming it, especially with a 4x/8x. All the others I've got a pretty good feel for how to lead my shots etc, but the SKS just never seems to shoot where I aim it.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Commoners posted:

I want to spend a match collecting just absolute garbage and then make it into the final circle coward style, die to someone desperate for supplies, and then cackle as they loot my body and find dozens of grips, holo sights, and crossbow quivers.

Even better: Travel light the entire match, when you enter the final circle and you start getting hit, immediately dump all your weapons and armour except for a pistol and try to take them out that way. YOU GET NOTHING

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/144498746

Supressive fire with the M249 is awesome, but sometimes your teammates have no sense of urgency and give bad info.

One (out of two) enemy =/= they.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
So I'm kind of interested in doing some silenced pistol + crosbow runs. I was thinking of using either the Beretta or the 1911 since the reloading of the revolver can be a pain. Am I to assume that the .45 does more damage in this game? However the 9mm should have more effective range though right?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The pistols are not worth using because the sights are outright bugged for them, if I remember correctly. The only one I'd keep is the 1911 since it's a three shot unarmored kill and doesn't have the revolver's hideous reload time.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Party Plane Jones posted:

The pistols are not worth using because the sights are outright bugged for them, if I remember correctly. The only one I'd keep is the 1911 since it's a three shot unarmored kill and doesn't have the revolver's hideous reload time.

I know they are a little bugged. I'll just have to work around that. It's not supposed to be a good setup, just fun. .45 it is i guess :)

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

third in a squad game by myself lol

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

So I'm kind of interested in doing some silenced pistol + crosbow runs. I was thinking of using either the Beretta or the 1911 since the reloading of the revolver can be a pain. Am I to assume that the .45 does more damage in this game? However the 9mm should have more effective range though right?

There are damage charts in the OP, but pistol accuracy is bugged right now, so uhhh good luck. You'd probably be more successful doing frying pan runs.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Pistol accuracy is fine as long as you don't bring up the sights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Bardeh posted:

Something feels so off with the SKS. It's the only gun where I can't get to grips with aiming it, especially with a 4x/8x. All the others I've got a pretty good feel for how to lead my shots etc, but the SKS just never seems to shoot where I aim it.

Custom games can't come soon enough. I want a firing range mode where everyone bros out shooting targets together at the gun range in the north with unlimited ammo spawning behind them on the benches. Wanna work on my pairings in this game. :clint:

• Locked thread