Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The consensus being that my idea is fully insane, I think I will avoid it. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Flying in the morning can also be a good way to help reduce the chances of airsickness, as it's much smoother early in the day.

I wish my first private instructor would have figured that out early in the going.

Unfortunately gliding and smooth weather are at odds with each other. When you're searching for thermals you are basically hunting for turbulence. And then there is all the circling in gliding. When you do twenty 360° turns in a row with a hundred meter radius you can feel it if you haven't built up the endurance. Many glider pilots may feel nausea early in the season.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Have we done headset chat in a while? Thinking about picking up Lightspeed Zulus. I don't want to out bougie my instructors too much "with $100 shoes and a 10-cent squat" if you will.

edit: but also don't want to buy something I'll want to replace in a year or two

Mao Zedong Thot fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 2, 2019

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Have we done headset chat in a while? Thinking about picking up Lightspeed Zulus. I don't want to out bougie my instructors too much "with $100 shoes and a 10-cent squat" if you will.

edit: but also don't want to buy something I'll want to replace in a year or two

How far are you trying to get with this aviation thing? If you are gonna pursue it professionally or will be flying a lot, do yourself a favour and invest in high quality noise cancelling headphones. $1,200 is nothing compared with having to deal with hearing loss. I have permanent tinnitus thanks to sticking to cheap headsets for years and also walking around the ramps without ear plugs.

Oh and don’t be afraid to buy used. A lot of people buy really expensive headsets and then barely end up using them.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

David Clark Pro X or One X

Animal posted:

How far are you trying to get with this aviation thing? If you are gonna pursue it professionally or will be flying a lot, do yourself a favour and invest in high quality noise cancelling headphones. $1,200 is nothing compared with having to deal with hearing loss. I have permanent tinnitus thanks to sticking to cheap headsets for years and also walking around the ramps without ear plugs.

Oh and don’t be afraid to buy used. A lot of people buy really expensive headsets and then barely end up using them.

“Hey we’re at cruise it’s a quiet plane let’s go headsets off with the radio on the speaker loud as absolute gently caress”

Not doing this is my biggest motivation to upgrade. :colbert:

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 2, 2019

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
A nice headset isn’t bougie. I bought A20’s as soon as I realized flying is what I wanted to do. They were very expensive for me at the time and I had to use Bose’s payment plan but it’s been 9 years and they’ve worked flawlessly for thousands of hours.

If you embarrass your instructor by shelling out for a quality headset then the good news is they’ll outlast you knowing him by a decade.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
If you can afford a noise-cancelling headset, absolutely buy a good noise-cancelling headset. If an instructor looks down on you or gives you any grief for making that choice at any point in your training, they are poo poo and you should find a new instructor.

Almost every instructor I know flies with noise cancelling and god knows it’s not because instructors have huge amounts of extra money to spend. Flying is expensive and $1000 or whatever to be comfortable and hear things better is money well spent at any stage.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I always tell students this as well:
The noise cancelling will make it easier to understand me, ATC, and will cut down on fatigue, all of which will help you learn faster and likely make the headset pay for itself by the time training is complete, doubly so if they go on to future ratings.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
And it’ll smell like a new car if it’s nice enough.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Animal posted:

No chance I'll fly professionally, but I would like to eventually buy a plane and fly as much as possible.

PT6A posted:

If you can afford a noise-cancelling headset, absolutely buy a good noise-cancelling headset. If an instructor looks down on you or gives you any grief for making that choice at any point in your training, they are poo poo and you should find a new instructor.

Almost every instructor I know flies with noise cancelling and god knows it’s not because instructors have huge amounts of extra money to spend. Flying is expensive and $1000 or whatever to be comfortable and hear things better is money well spent at any stage.

Yeah, I don't think any of them would give me grief. Just, you know, I'm the one that sucks at flying (relatively -- obviously I am an incredibly skilled 4 hour student pilot) with the fancy gear.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

You can also use a regular Bose or Sony noise cancelling headset with a mic adapter. I used the Bose QC15 + UFlyMike for years without issues until I lost them in a hotel. Now I'm the process of building a Sony 1000XM3 + CrystalMic Pro kit. The advantages of doing this is that its much cheaper than buying a dedicated aviation headset, and you can also use the headset portion for personal use. I travel a lot as an airline pilot, and its great carrying just one headset with me on trips that I can use to listen to music/podcasts and watch movies while I deadhead, and then attach the mic when its time to work.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
I love my A20. Comms are super clear and easy and the Bluetooth has come in handy a few times placing a call to get a clearance at an untowered field with lovely radio reception.

We had an airplane that liked to emit this amazing ear-splitting high-pitched squeal intermittently with Bose Headsets (and we never figured out why) so I had to use the school's loaner blue poo poo whatever headset for an IFR training flight and it was a miserable experience. A good headset is an amazing tool.

Animal posted:

You can also use a regular Bose or Sony noise cancelling headset with a mic adapter. I used the Bose QC15 + UFlyMike for years without issues until I lost them in a hotel. Now I'm the process of building a Sony 1000XM3 + CrystalMic Pro kit. The advantages of doing this is that its much cheaper than buying a dedicated aviation headset, and you can also use the headset portion for personal use. I travel a lot as an airline pilot, and its great carrying just one headset with me on trips that I can use to listen to music/podcasts and watch movies while I deadhead, and then attach the mic when its time to work.
A few people at my location use the Bose+mic combo as well and seem to like it!

I was however under the impression that it's not FAA TSO approved and as such can't be used at the airlines.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

The oldest model was TSO approved with a modification and the newer ones are all approved.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
I have a slightly newer setup with the Bose QC25 and avmike1. It works pretty well with the newer headphones and then hey, extra headphones for normal stuff.

Also got a QT Halo which is great tech, but support can be limited as it appears to be almost a one man shop. The no weight aspect is fantastic, though no ANR of course

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

cigaw posted:

I was however under the impression that it's not FAA TSO approved and as such can't be used at the airlines.

Only if the plane doesn’t have built in TSO’d comms of some sort. Like the CRJ and 767 have speakers and hand mics that are the certified comms, you can use whatever you want for a headset.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Yeah, I don't think any of them would give me grief. Just, you know, I'm the one that sucks at flying (relatively -- obviously I am an incredibly skilled 4 hour student pilot) with the fancy gear.

Fancy gear is not all alike. If I saw someone show up on day one with an ANR headset, I'd think "hey, here's a guy who's committed to training, has done his research, and put money towards a good thing." A good headset is always useful, and will help with your instruction and flying in general. If, on the other hand, you show up on day one with an iPad with ForeFlight and a CX3 I'd think "oh gently caress me, this is going to be a headache," because you don't need that poo poo and if you rely on it during training you're going to end up being a worse pilot for it.

I let my PPL/CPL students fly with ForeFlight if they really want to, but I make it clear that I expect it to be used in an emergency only.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
It’s me. I’m the guy that got a ForeFlight subscription and passed the time waiting to start lessons by looking at charts and stuff.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Went up in a Jabiru and felt absolutely fine. No barfiness. :woop:

Going to get up in a glider again today to see how I go.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

My instructors told me to rank headsets first on comfort, second on noise-cancellation, third on price, and that was the right idea. I tried on a bunch of models at the pilot shop, found that the plain old fashioned David Clark shape fits my head and ears the best, and found a used one of that design with noise-cancellation for about $475 and it's been great. As a bonus, the older around-the-ears designs have the best passive noise isolation should your ENC stop working -- that was important to me because I do enough noisy stuff in the rest of my life (motorcycling, machine shop). No fancy new features like bluetooth, but I actually kinda saw that as a plus while training because I figured I didn't want the distraction.

It seems like a lot of money up front but in the scope of the whole thing it's not. The difference between a $250 basic model and a $600 one with noise cancellation and better materials is like two hours of dual training.

e: ENC = ANR = ANC = XYZ. idk why every company has to come up with their own acronym for what is fundamentally the exact same feature

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 3, 2019

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Can this pilot claim he was pulled over by a cop?

https://twitter.com/wspd1pio/statuses/1157388549773115392

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

unknown posted:

Can this pilot claim he was pulled over by a cop?

https://twitter.com/wspd1pio/statuses/1157388549773115392

Only if he got tazed because he failed to comply with instructions.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Nice work avoiding all those lines and power poles.

He also didn’t get shot or tased by American cops, also a win.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

That slip he was doing to bleed speed was inches from going awry though :stare:

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Flew a Cherokee today. What an odd little plane: manual flaps on the floor and trim spinner on the roof, wtf? Comfortable cockpit, and fun to fly, but it had gently caress-all climb power, and gently caress that single-door setup.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

There's a barnswallow nest right above the door to the flight school and for the last several weeks it's had five baby beaks pointing out and cheeping every time you walk by, and today the babies were all out sitting on the rails learning to fly.

:kimchi::kimchi::kimchi::kimchi::kimchi:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Flew a Cherokee today. What an odd little plane: manual flaps on the floor and trim spinner on the roof, wtf? Comfortable cockpit, and fun to fly, but it had gently caress-all climb power, and gently caress that single-door setup.

If it didn’t have a handbrake you got off lucky.

I liked flying pipers with the giant flap lever. We’re comin in! *CHACHUNK*

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Re: Headset chat

I used a David Clark 13.4 passive noise cancelling headset from my second flight lesson until about a month after I upgraded to captain. That works out to about 5,000+ hours in planes ranging from piston singles to jet airliners and they worked just fine. Shortly after I upgraded I bought a pair of Bose A20's which I've been using for the past 1,000 hours or so of flying, all in jets. They're the bees knees and are better in pretty much every way to my old David Clarks. The ANR really cuts down on fatigue, way more than I thought it would, and the bluetooth is nice when you're trying to talk to Maintance, ATC, the FO, all while reading the MEL and trying to write in the maintenance log. Just don't forget your phone is paired to the headset and freak out when you get an amber alert warning noise piped into your headset 200' above touchdown.

Rolo posted:

I liked flying pipers with the giant flap lever. We’re comin in! *CHACHUNK*

Did you ever try to raise the flaps on the ground without the engine(s) running and a tailwind? The force of the wind would keep the flaps in the down position until the wind dropped and the flaps would suddenly snap from full extension to zero in about a quarter of a second and make a *CHAKTWAAAAaaaang...* noise as they slammed into the up position and the spring vibrated.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Cherokees are literally bulletproof. Go back to lovely high wings if you want an electrically powered flap motor that can overrun and catch on fire.

The only pilots who make the cachung sound are those who don’t fly with any finesse.

Also - no climb power and an overhead trim? You were flying a Cherokee 140 or something similar. Aka a two seater and half tanks for 2 180lb adults.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Captain Apollo posted:

Cherokees are literally bulletproof. Go back to lovely high wings if you want an electrically powered flap motor that can overrun and catch on fire.

My first instructing job was teaching foreign students in Warriors, and those drat things were indeed bulletproof. The only way I ever saw someone damage one was when they lost directional control and smacked a wing on a snowbank, but those things absorbed some serious abuse on landing without complaint.

After about a year, the school went to brand new Cessna 172's that were constantly getting damaged. I think the record was 5 or 7 accidents (per the NTSB definition) in a 10 day stretch, when foreign students on solo flights were hell-bent on landing on a specific spot, and landed nosewheel-first trying to do so.

Since Cessna just bolts the nose strut to the firewall, that impact buckles the firewall (which can also warp the floorboards), so repairs require removing the engine, drilling out the rivets attaching the firewall, possibly replacing warped floor sections, and then putting it all back together.

From what we were told, that was a $40-50k repair, and is probably why that school went back to Pipers once the Cessnas had been around a few years.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Got bored and looked up YT videos about Tower Air earlier and got sucked into watching this landing recorded from the jumpseat. The amount of F-bombs dropped by the captain throughout is entertaining:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvNGOf5TC3Y

e.pilot posted:

Only if the plane doesn’t have built in TSO’d comms of some sort. Like the CRJ and 767 have speakers and hand mics that are the certified comms, you can use whatever you want for a headset.

What's the reasoning behind the hand mics being required over the headset mic? I noticed this as well when I got to sit in the Samaritan's Purse DC-8 last year (placarded as hand mic ops only below 10,000 feet).

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Sagebrush posted:

There's a barnswallow nest right above the door to the flight school and for the last several weeks it's had five baby beaks pointing out and cheeping every time you walk by, and today the babies were all out sitting on the rails learning to fly.

:kimchi::kimchi::kimchi::kimchi::kimchi:

They usually come back year after year, if you don't block it off after getting tired of the bird poop.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

CBJSprague24 posted:

Got bored and looked up YT videos about Tower Air earlier and got sucked into watching this landing recorded from the jumpseat. The amount of F-bombs dropped by the captain throughout is entertaining:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvNGOf5TC3Y

What's the reasoning behind the hand mics being required over the headset mic? I noticed this as well when I got to sit in the Samaritan's Purse DC-8 last year (placarded as hand mic ops only below 10,000 feet).

Lol'd at "there's too many fuckin' Harriers around here."

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Re: Piper chat, I did 10h in a Seminole for my Comm training and the flap lever is a ton of fun. The cockpit does get ridiculously hot though and getting in and out with that single door design is a pain compared to the 172s I'm used to.

Animal posted:

The oldest model was TSO approved with a modification and the newer ones are all approved.

e.pilot posted:

Neato! I had no idea, thanks!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

cigaw posted:

Neato! I had no idea, thanks!

I didn’t either until I started flying them.

I still highly recommend the David Clark pro x and one x

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

overdesigned posted:

Lol'd at "there's too many fuckin' Harriers around here."

"I got him, he's at 10 o'clock low in the haze, see him? We won't say nothin'. gently caress 'em." is an interesting response to being asked to report traffic in sight.

Also "I'm gettin' a hard-on to go up north on a float plane." :lol:

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
CVR if this guy ever crashes:

quote:

[HOT-1] fuckin*
[CAM] (sound similar to seat adjustment motor)
[CAM] (sound similar to terrain impact)

vessbot fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 4, 2019

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

vessbot posted:

CVR if this guy ever crashes:

:lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouBEPGoLkKM

"Those uh...Aeroflot Ilyushins must really be a pieces of poo poo. They have to stop in Gander and then they have to stop in Shannon before they get to Moscow."

e- I'd love to hear this guy brief an approach: (Source material: https://aeronav.faa.gov/d-tpp/1908/00471ILD23R.PDF )

"This is...uh...the fuckin' ILS 23R to Cherry Point, and we have to fly it because :lol: if we have GPS or RNAV in this heap. Localizer frequency is 108.9, blah blah who gives a gently caress, decision height is 223, most of this poo poo don't matter because it's VFR but we have to do it, so gently caress it. If one of those god drat Harriers screws this up for us or god forbid you find a way to gently caress this up, we're goin' straight ahead to 500, then a climbing right turn to 2600..."

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 5, 2019

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Got no-showed twice this weekend, by the same guy, for a discovery flight!

Saturday, he showed up three hours late, and drunk, and paid the no-show fee in cash and rebooked for the next day. Sunday, he didn't show up at all, and -- to no one's surprise -- the credit card he'd put on file was declined. Apparently he has also let slip that he was driving a rental because he rolled his truck a few days ago, and I have some strong suspicions about how that happened.

What the hell is wrong with some people? Frankly, it's so sketchy that I think I dodged a major bullet not flying with him (not that I would've if he'd shown up drunk but on time, of course).

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

PT6A posted:

Got no-showed twice this weekend, by the same guy, for a discovery flight!

Saturday, he showed up three hours late, and drunk, and paid the no-show fee in cash and rebooked for the next day. Sunday, he didn't show up at all, and -- to no one's surprise -- the credit card he'd put on file was declined. Apparently he has also let slip that he was driving a rental because he rolled his truck a few days ago, and I have some strong suspicions about how that happened.

What the hell is wrong with some people? Frankly, it's so sketchy that I think I dodged a major bullet not flying with him (not that I would've if he'd shown up drunk but on time, of course).

I think it’s just someone trying to live life with addiction. Obviously don’t fly with him but still, seems more sad than crazy to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Rolo posted:

I think it’s just someone trying to live life with addiction. Obviously don’t fly with him but still, seems more sad than crazy to me.

Obviously I hope that's all it is, but honestly, with a credit card maxed out or disabled, a freshly-wrecked truck, and showing up really obviously intoxicated after backing out the first time, paying the large no-show fee and then rebooking, and then no-showing a second time, there's a nagging feeling -- and I really hope it's just my mind coming up with a ridiculous worst-case scenario -- it could've been some sort of weird suicide attempt. I mean, on any given day, we don't know that much about new students or people who've booked discovery flights, or even established students, and we put them in a position in which they are at the controls of an airplane. It has happened before both in terms of flight training, commercial flights on small aircraft, and private pilots in their own aircraft, so it's not the craziest thing to think about what something seems definitively "off." Maybe I'm being a bit paranoid, but in the interests of aviation safety and our own personal safety, I think it's right to err on the side of caution with things like that.

In any event, I hope he gets help to deal with either addiction or whatever else is going on.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 6, 2019