Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Darke GBF posted:

Thinking about how Sigrdrifa can no longer rez Gremist, so she's literally a 2 points better Priestess of Freya or at best a second Skjall +3 points is infuriating. Like, what in the gently caress were they thinking?
Yeah she's no longer by far the best card in the game, that really stings.

EDIT: She was probably the second best silver after restore now that I think about it. Sort of makes you wonder what they were thinking before.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Feb 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

No Wave posted:

Yeah she's no longer by far the best card in the game, that really stings.

EDIT: She was probably the second best silver after restore now that I think about it. Sort of makes you wonder what they were thinking before.

At no point in the game's history was she even top 5

She's never even been the best silver. Has she ever even been one of the three best silvers? Let's see. Joachim, Commander's Horn, Bekker's, Merigold's, Restore, Dorregarray, Stennis, Iris, eh you get the point

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
i think there's an argument to be made that all the silver spies are the best silver units.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Darke GBF posted:

At no point in the game's history was she even top 5

She's never even been the best silver. Has she ever even been one of the three best silvers? Let's see. Joachim, Commander's Horn, Bekker's, Merigold's, Restore, Dorregarray, Stennis, Iris, eh you get the point

well if shes not top 5 shes obviously not #1 or top three

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

Up Circle posted:

well if shes not top 5 shes obviously not #1 or top three

Top 5 cards =/= top 3 silvers

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber
Today in gwent hot-takes

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret
I'd say the best silver is Harald houndsnout as it has the most skulls.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I rank cards according to voice lines and premium animation :colbert:

Also I had no idea why Prize Winning Cow spawned a Chort since I never tried to kill cows in White Orchard. :allears:

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

If it's Premium animation the best Silver is Roach.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Arena mode is out today and it's fun fyi

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I've only had one game but I'm paranoid about getting shilarded now (apparently he's glitched and only draws you a card sometimes).

Other reported glitches:
Sile apparently does nothing
Lots of disconnects but I seem disconnect-proof
Some wins aren't counted

So if you want to guarantee value out of your tickets, you might want to wait a day or two.

Also roche is the only avatar reward for this season (the same roche as in January) and it's for rank 15.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I just had a game where my opponent played shilard and only he drew a card and I've seen the effect work normally on streams as well, so yeah it's megafucked. Also don't play Sarah, she's bugged in the same way as Sile.

That said you can still go 9-0 if you're a master drafter like me :smugdog:

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 1, 2018

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Ge'els is broken in ranked right now - often you won't draw the card he puts on top of the deck. I don't know what the exact conditions are.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009

No Wave posted:

Ge'els is broken in ranked right now - often you won't draw the card he puts on top of the deck. I don't know what the exact conditions are.

I noticed this last night, I drew a Bronze before the Gold. In fairness, Ge'els looks at the next Gold and Silver in your deck: It could be a fix to work as intended.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

He's put cards on the top of your deck since open beta started (and the text is fairly unambigiuous - "move the other to the top of your deck"). This is certainly just a bug.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009

Arena is fun, though less so when you get three Golds and play someone with at least 11.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Some golds in this format are worse than some bronzes and silvers, though. This last run I was actually mulliganing away golds.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The best of 4 golds will be better than the best of 4 bronzes at least 90% of the time... thats just reality

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

rydiafan posted:

Some golds in this format are worse than some bronzes and silvers, though. This last run I was actually mulliganing away golds.

yeah that's a super cool anecdote but on average golds are worth more points than silvers or bronzes

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I haven't tried the Arena yet, but do you think a format where you'd choose between all-Golds four times, then all-Silvers six times, etc, would work better?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It would reward skill more and would make wins feel more rewarding imo (note: i am not a skillful player).

But the design goal was the opposite - they want all of their players to be able to get a big break. I'm ok with that and don't mind some variance in deck power level but 12 golds vs 5 is too big a gap to happen as often as it does. Imo there should always be 4 golds, 6 silvers, 8 bronzes, then like a 15/25/60 percent chance of getting a gold/silver/bronze in the other eight picks (completely invented numbers). 33/33/33 makes the outcomes too divergent imo.

Even guaranteeing 6/6/6 then making the other 9 picks 33% each would be a big improvement.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 1, 2018

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

botany posted:

yeah that's a super cool anecdote but on average golds are worth more points than silvers or bronzes

Except in a format like Arena, where synergy cards like Brewess: Ritual and Letho are literal garbage.

Like I know you were all excited to be a snarky piece of poo poo, but maybe actually read my point. I never said "golds are normally worse than bronzes". I said some are. Even if you get 10 golds 2-3 of them might only be worth 10-15 points.

rydiafan fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 1, 2018

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Even assuming 20% of all golds in the game are worse than your average bronze pick (a massive overestimate) you have a 0.16% percent of being offered four of them at once.

"So you're saying there's a chance?"

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 1, 2018

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

So I'm trying to get back into the game after not having played it since near the end of the closed beta. Is there a tutorial to play though all the new changes, or are those the challenges?

Also what so far has been the best method for arena drafting for people? My initial draft is mostly opponet damaging cards with only some cards that sync together like stuff with the crew keyword. It seems to be working ok.

Edit: Wait, the drafting decks aren't the same number of golds/silvers for all players? My current is 8/10/8. That seems poorly thought out.

Lava Lamp Goddess fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 1, 2018

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

So I'm trying to get back into the game after not having played it since near the end of the closed beta. Is there a tutorial to play though all the new changes, or are those the challenges?

Also what so far has been the best method for arena drafting for people? My initial draft is mostly opponet damaging cards with only some cards that sync together like stuff with the crew keyword. It seems to be working ok.

You can do pretty well just drafting by tier list in this game a la this one as long as you have some awareness of synergies as your draft emerges, in general it's much easier to draft "correctly" in gwent than in games like Hearthstone

edit: It's a straight 1/3 chance for gold/silver/bronze per pick, so yeah it ends up being highly variable. It's questionable for sure

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 1, 2018

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I had a run with 10-12 golds, IIRC.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

There's a 15% chance of getting 12 or more golds which imo is too high given that the chance of getting 6 or fewer golds is 15% as well.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Is there a website to keep track of your card collection for easier deck building, similar to this site for SW: Destiny?

https://swdestinydb.com

Gwentify does this, but it's out of date and it looks like it won't be updated again (and actually doesn't seem to be working). GwentDB has all the info, but seems to lack a collection tracker unless I'm missing it.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Speaking of GwentDB, is searching for decks with multiple cards just broken? If I put both Restore and Sigrdrifa in "Contains Card(s)" it shows zero results, even though there are tons of decks that run those together.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Is there a website to keep track of your card collection for easier deck building, similar to this site for SW: Destiny?

https://swdestinydb.com

Gwentify does this, but it's out of date and it looks like it won't be updated again (and actually doesn't seem to be working). GwentDB has all the info, but seems to lack a collection tracker unless I'm missing it.

yeah if you go playgwent.com there's an app you can download

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

rydiafan posted:

Except in a format like Arena, where synergy cards like Brewess: Ritual and Letho are literal garbage.

Like I know you were all excited to be a snarky piece of poo poo, but maybe actually read my point. I never said "golds are normally worse than bronzes". I said some are. Even if you get 10 golds 2-3 of them might only be worth 10-15 points.

there are synergy silvers and bronzes as well. on average, golds are worth more points than silvers and bronzes.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

botany posted:

there are synergy silvers and bronzes as well. on average, golds are worth more points than silvers and bronzes.
Wow. wow. u snarky piece of poo poo.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009

https://youtu.be/rmCaJfoS5WM

The 11 Gold opponent is at 36:40. I play badly r1 and end up down two cards, but even had I card advantage I wasn't winning R3 with that onslaught.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

botany posted:

on average, golds are worth more points than silvers and bronzes.

And I continue to have never said otherwise. But that's fine. Don't let facts get in the way of being insufferable.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Seedge posted:

Arena is fun, though less so when you get three Golds and play someone with at least 11.

rydiafan posted:

Do you really think your reply was helpful, or was it completely missing the point? Maybe it was a bit insufferable?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I can't tell if you're trolling or just unbelievably stupid, so I'm just going to assume that it's both it's stop replying to you after this post.

In Arena the color of the cards matters less than the synergy between the cards. This is true in constructed as well, except in constructed you can guarantee that you have synergy between your cards, so the golds and silvers are inherently stronger than bronzes. A player with 11 gold cards, 7 silver, and 7 bronze could have a worse-performing deck than somebody with three gold cards, 8 silvers, and 14 bronzes if the person with three gold has better synergy between their cards.

No poo poo a gold is better than a bronze in a vacuum, but the true luck in draft isn't "who got more golds", it's "who got more cards that work together".

rydiafan fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 2, 2018

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Yes, and some percentage of the time an unarmed guy will beat a guy with a knife. Was it a fair fight?

quote:

No poo poo a gold is better than a bronze in a vacuum, but the true luck in draft isn't "who got more golds", it's "who got more cards that work together".
That's not entirely luck...

You're also continuing to be very aggressive and very weird - far ruder than anyone else in this thread.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Mar 2, 2018

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

Hearthstone Mode starring Gaunter O'Dimm is mildly amusing when you're the guy that drafted all the good poo poo. I really don't think it's what the game needed right now, though.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009

rydiafan posted:

I can't tell if you're trolling or just unbelievably stupid, so I'm just going to assume that it's both it's stop replying to you after this post.

In Arena the color of the cards matters less than the synergy between the cards. This is true in constructed as well, except in constructed you can guarantee that you have synergy between your cards, so the golds and silvers are inherently stronger than bronzes. A player with 11 gold cards, 7 silver, and 7 bronze could have a worse-performing deck than somebody with three gold cards, 8 silvers, and 14 bronzes if the person with three gold has better synergy between their cards.

Go watch the match I had and tell me about the synergy needed when you get two Corals and Djikstras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber

Darke GBF posted:

Hearthstone Mode starring Gaunter O'Dimm is mildly amusing when you're the guy that drafted all the good poo poo. I really don't think it's what the game needed right now, though.

Depends on who you are I suppose. Some people are sick of stale metas (see alchemy ng and ST elves) and just enjoy playing the randomness that is arena. Consider that it's not as if they devoted their entire dev team to arena, they're still working on whatever for the rest of the game (and Thronebreaker I guess lmao)