Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

DeadButDelicious posted:

How are we feeling about Elarra's USB2? I uh, thought the fest banner with her USB2 on it was actually her USB1 and ended up with this. Yeah...

Her usb1 is better, but quick cast and regenga means she could comfortably juggle both. You want a critfix to go with it though - preferably Tyro usb4, but should also do fine with ok pusb or someone like Cloud/Orlandu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Avalerion posted:

Her usb1 is better, but quick cast and regenga means she could comfortably juggle both. You want a critfix to go with it though - preferably Tyro usb4, but should also do fine with ok pusb or someone like Cloud/Orlandu.

Yeah I was thinking of making her my go-to healer for melee teams where I don't need a gimmick like Penelo's pblink, since I usually pack OK pUSB for those teams anyway. Gonna be odd losing Last Stand from my regular, Selphie, but I'll see how it goes.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

DeadButDelicious posted:

Yeah I was thinking of making her my go-to healer for melee teams where I don't need a gimmick like Penelo's pblink, since I usually pack OK pUSB for those teams anyway. Gonna be odd losing Last Stand from my regular, Selphie, but I'll see how it goes.

Since physical characters typically have more HP you probably won't notice the lack of LS since they will have higher survivability with regenga and QC, plus poo poo will die faster.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
I've been kind of coasting with FFRK for a bit, not even bothering to complete all of the events. I've had pretty crap luck pulling CSBs, which has kind of drained my motivation. Decided to pull on all of the RoP banners and got lucky enough to pull two CSBs (Strago and Vincent), along with a couple of nifty USBs too. Feeling a bit better about grinding out content and mythril in preperation for the next big power creep next fest. Just hope the lack of pulling until then doesn't make that fade.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Thanks guys, I'll definitely give Mel a try in my Ixion run then. She's competing with a ridiculously stacked Bartz and Dorgan with his USB, so it's gonna be close, but I forgot breaks are actually slightly useful on Ixion.

Also, I'm slowly chipping away at the first-tier Torment fights, and I'll probably be able to buy at least one or maybe two skills when I'm done with the ones I can actually complete. Are any of them particularly recommended to get right away? If it makes a difference, my toughest Magicite fights at the 4* level were definitely Tiamat and Isgebind, though the latter was more due to the gimmick and all of my good fire stuff being physical. My sub-30 clears were Marilis, Midgardsormir, and Ixion so far, with Kraken and Isgebind getting close.

For torment abilities, I think the only truly no-brainer is Voltech since it covers 3 elements and is extremely widely usable. Burnt Offering and Healing Smite are also very good in that they offer utility above their 5* counterparts (higher imperil chance and healing, respectively). The rest are pretty much just 5*s with more hits and/or higher multipliers, so they will heavily depend on what relics you have and what you're trying to do. Like if you have Bartz or Celes stuff, the dual-element spellblades are nice, but if you don't there's tons of other ways to do physical damage that might be better supported by your relics. Since you're just chipping away at the 240s, see if there's any abilities that would let you take on/sub30 the next step up; a sub30 on one of those is basically enough rubies to get another ability, so you can keep repeating the process and in the process build up a stable of abilities that will be very handy for 5* magicite.

eelmonger fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 4, 2019

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Worth noting that the 6* single element spellblades are a massive upgrade over their 5* equivalents - 4.5 potency vs 3.2, or 40% more damage. Not to mention the extra hit which is 25% more potential damage, and of course 20% more SB generation. The 6* thief abilities are also extremely good for self sustain, they can potentially full heal the user.

I'm still not too sure about the 6* offering abilities. They're slightly less potency than the 5* snipe abilities (3.4 vs 3.42) and only do 4 hits vs 6, so you're still giving something up. And the tradeoff is still marginal and unreliable. I definitely wouldn't spend rubies on them. I think they'd have to be 100% imperil chance to get me to do that.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

You absolutely want those offerings unless you have like laguna usb1/lmr, but maybe even then. Imperiling for Mateus and Syldra is not optional.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008
The spellblades are certainly a big improvement over the 5*s, but I'd still have a hard time recommending them if you don't have any good spellbladers. Even in the D280s, pure ability spam doesn't usually cut it for sub30. I might just be bitter about not having any spellblade tech besides Paine USB though.

And yeah, I feel like the offerings are close to mandatory unless you already have really strong imperiling tech. Even ignoring magicites casting bar-elements, I feel like the trade-off of 2 hits for 50% chance to increase everyone's damage by 10% is worth it. But again, this might be based on my current situation of having no fire or ice chains.

edit: I also forgot about flash disaster which is awesome for building SB gauge. But, again, your really need a good wind/lightning celerity character (or Edge SSB or OK) to make it work.

eelmonger fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 4, 2019

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oh yeah, if you literally have no other option for imperiling then yeah they're necessary. But they're really more of a stopgap measure than actually good.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

For spellbladers, I've got a stacked Bartz (USB, AOSB, OSB, LMR, and 5 BSBs holy poo poo lol), Celes with 2 BSBs and her LMR, and Squall with his fire USB, BSB2, and Glint, so those 6* spellblade skills are definitely enticing.

I'll have to try some of the next-tier Torment bosses - the only ones I think I really have a shot at off the top of my head are FFT and FFVII, since I have some insanely good relics that work well together in those realms. Sounds like Voltech, the Offerings, and Spellblade skills right now. I have Edge's SSB and OK's pUSB, so Flash Disaster looks great as well. drat I need a lot of rubies.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

eelmonger posted:

The spellblades are certainly a big improvement over the 5*s, but I'd still have a hard time recommending them if you don't have any good spellbladers. Even in the D280s, pure ability spam doesn't usually cut it for sub30. I might just be bitter about not having any spellblade tech besides Paine USB though.

And yeah, I feel like the offerings are close to mandatory unless you already have really strong imperiling tech. Even ignoring magicites casting bar-elements, I feel like the trade-off of 2 hits for 50% chance to increase everyone's damage by 10% is worth it. But again, this might be based on my current situation of having no fire or ice chains.

edit: I also forgot about flash disaster which is awesome for building SB gauge. But, again, your really need a good wind/lightning celerity character (or Edge SSB or OK) to make it work.

The good news is there's a banner RIGHT NOW where you can trick out your butts.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008

For spellbladers, I've got a stacked Bartz (USB, AOSB, OSB, LMR, and 5 BSBs holy poo poo lol), Celes with 2 BSBs and her LMR, and Squall with his fire USB, BSB2, and Glint, so those 6* spellblade skills are definitely enticing.

I'll have to try some of the next-tier Torment bosses - the only ones I think I really have a shot at off the top of my head are FFT and FFVII, since I have some insanely good relics that work well together in those realms. Sounds like Voltech, the Offerings, and Spellblade skills right now. I have Edge's SSB and OK's pUSB, so Flash Disaster looks great as well. drat I need a lot of rubies.

As with everything else in this game my advice is to wait until you need something or at least have a specific use in mind for it before dumping resources into it. Also, the next tier of torments aren't that bad, especially since the penalty for 1 or 2 out of realm characters isn't as brutal as the D???. It's totally viable to take your OK pUSB to all of the realms with physically oriented teams.

NinjaDebugger posted:

The good news is there's a banner RIGHT NOW where you can trick out your butts.

That would just be chasing his USB1 though right? No one is bringing Bartz with just BSBs to 5* magicite, are they?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

eelmonger posted:

As with everything else in this game my advice is to wait until you need something or at least have a specific use in mind for it before dumping resources into it. Also, the next tier of torments aren't that bad, especially since the penalty for 1 or 2 out of realm characters isn't as brutal as the D???. It's totally viable to take your OK pUSB to all of the realms with physically oriented teams.

That would just be chasing his USB1 though right? No one is bringing Bartz with just BSBs to 5* magicite, are they?

The BSBs help, but yeah, it's about USB1 + the LMR. If you get those two, plus a dive, he's basically just a giant house of spellswording pain.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

NinjaDebugger posted:

The BSBs help, but yeah, it's about USB1 + the LMR. If you get those two, plus a dive, he's basically just a giant house of spellswording pain.

Is his LMR actually worth using? I have it but it seems so inconsistent that I can't imagine it outperforming his native RMs unless you get insanely lucky with procs.

Also, how the hell do you guys manage all of your items? Even keeping only weapons and armor that have en-element boosts + accessories for both physical and magical teams in each elemental resist, I am constantly hitting the cap. Buying 5 slots with mythril seems awful, but it also sucks constantly digging around in my vault and switching items back and forth.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Is his LMR actually worth using? I have it but it seems so inconsistent that I can't imagine it outperforming his native RMs unless you get insanely lucky with procs.

Also, how the hell do you guys manage all of your items? Even keeping only weapons and armor that have en-element boosts + accessories for both physical and magical teams in each elemental resist, I am constantly hitting the cap. Buying 5 slots with mythril seems awful, but it also sucks constantly digging around in my vault and switching items back and forth.

You can use his dualcast and his triplecast together, and it will, over time, 100% outperform his LM1, even without a chain, even if you're not capping. A 10% chance of triple damage is approximately +20% damage, over time, while LM1 is a flat +15 always.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I wouldn't chase it, but man is that rare moment when all 3 RMs go off beautiful.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

eelmonger posted:

I did Quetz with just his earth BSB and LMR. Oh, and his old rear end OSB for breaking enrage.

Kumog
Dec 28, 2006
Am I your god?
Trust in stupid decisions to lead to good pulls.

BSB Select pull:
5/11- Wakka USB, Yuffie BSB2, Garland Glint, Montblanc Super, Greg LMR

Did the pull for Kimahri BSB to reset my luck back to being good instead of crappy. It worked. Only dupe was Yuffie tech.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

NinjaDebugger posted:

You can use his dualcast and his triplecast together, and it will, over time, 100% outperform his LM1, even without a chain, even if you're not capping. A 10% chance of triple damage is approximately +20% damage, over time, while LM1 is a flat +15 always.

The LM1 is +0% when you hit the damage cap, which is where the LMR really shines.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

The LM1 is +0% when you hit the damage cap, which is where the LMR really shines.

Oh sure, it's a no-brainer if you're capping. The important part is that even if you're not capping, it is guaranteed better in any case where you don't need absolute dependability.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008

NinjaDebugger posted:

Oh sure, it's a no-brainer if you're capping. The important part is that even if you're not capping, it is guaranteed better in any case where you don't need absolute dependability.

It's true in an infinitely long fight the LMR is better, but the proc rate is low enough that there's a decent chance (~40% over 8 spellblades) it will never trigger in a given fight so it can end up doing exactly nothing for you. All it takes is one proc to pull way ahead though, so I feel like it depends on the fight. If it's only something you have to beat once like a torment or a superboss, it's worth it to roll those dice. But if it's a magicite I need to farm a decent amount, I don't think I'd have the patience for that much RNG, but I know others do. The LM1 also boosts his chases and finisher from his USBs, which might be enough to even out a single LMR proc depending on how soon you get the USB off, so that's something else to consider.

Fister Roboto posted:

I did Quetz with just his earth BSB and LMR. Oh, and his old rear end OSB for breaking enrage.

Well, the OSB is kind of important in that fight and isn't on that banner. My real point was just that if you have nothing for Bartz, walking away from that banner with any combination of his things that doesn't include his USB is probably going to leave you disappointed. I mean, you can use two AA picks to get some of his BSBs for free if you just want Butz for Butz sake.

eelmonger fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jan 5, 2019

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Hey, is it generally better to go for a physical or magical team against Kraken? I have both gen 1 lightning chains and a decent mix of offensive usbs either side (Lightning and Queen for physical and Matoya and Ashe for magical) and both OK buffing USBs. I just don't know the fight so I'm not sure what is the safer option is. I see he has blind and stop so I'm leaning towards magical.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I'm at a really annoying juncture where I can almost down Geosgaeno, except that he Stone Punches and then finishes off my last two characters with 1-5% HP left.

And I really, really don't want to have to spend my very limited Rubies on Chain Thundaja when I'm so drat close.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Got Shadow USB and dove him, he’s real fun now. Stomped a couple levels of the FFVI torment

private message
Aug 22, 2004
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]
Squall can do 420k damage in 1 turn with AASB + BSB2: https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/acszmu/squalls_bsb2_is_great_again_in_jp/

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

DeadButDelicious posted:

Hey, is it generally better to go for a physical or magical team against Kraken? I have both gen 1 lightning chains and a decent mix of offensive usbs either side (Lightning and Queen for physical and Matoya and Ashe for magical) and both OK buffing USBs. I just don't know the fight so I'm not sure what is the safer option is. I see he has blind and stop so I'm leaning towards magical.

Magical is slightly safer because of the blind, but if you can slot Affliction Break onto your team either is fine. The stop is pretty rare in my experience so I wouldn't worry about it.

I run Kain (CSB,OSB)/Lightning (USB1,ASB,dived)/Prompto (USB, LMR)/Ramza (BSB2,LMR, dived)/Elarra (USB, dived) and unless I eat a lot of counters before wall gets up/Blind happens on Lightning early it's a fairly easy ~22s fight.

edit: if you do use Affliction Break, hit the appropriate tentacle with it, I'm pretty sure the counter originates from it and not Kraken itself.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nooo the counters come from Kraken. The tentacles don't actually do anything during the fight.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Nooo the counters come from Kraken. The tentacles don't actually do anything during the fight.

really? holy drat then, I'd been breaking the tentacle and not getting blinded most of the time for enough time to farm two copies of each magicite without a drop checker

think of how much luck I burnt there instead of on the gacha!

Ayndin fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jan 6, 2019

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

hosed him up good and proper:

Everyone except Ovelia here is legend dived, she's 4* dived. At first I had Matoya instead of Rapha, but when I remembered that I had Rapha's USB to buff the team more I made the switch and went from wiping after 40s to, well, this. I think it's actually one of my best 4* Magicite times, hahahaha.

E: Just noticed it looks like Rapha is throwing up the horns or flipping the bird or something. Sorry for overlooking you :(

DeadButDelicious fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jan 6, 2019

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Big thanks to everyone who's given me help. Started playing 20 days ago and I've finished up mastering the Nightmare. Not sure if I'm ready for Magicite but I can confidently clear around 220 content.

Just have to finish the orb dungeons and mote dungeons to finish off the current book.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jan 6, 2019

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Wow got Tyro’s USB wall from the daily draw. Going to have to think about how to integrate this into my teams, I’m so used to just using it as a RW.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

Tyro is mostly useful as a support or bard character. So basically wrath/entrust, dances/breaks, or bard buffs are the way to go with him. It does allow you to use the other RW's instead of wall which can be nice for normal content and for magicites as well. He goes really well on teams that have a chain 2.0 because those already give beefy stat buffs without hastega.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Onmi posted:

Big thanks to everyone who's given me help. Started playing 20 days ago and I've finished up mastering the Nightmare. Not sure if I'm ready for Magicite but I can confidently clear around 220 content.

Just have to finish the orb dungeons and mote dungeons to finish off the current book.

I've been playing on and off since launch and only have 3 of these done :v:, good job!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Onmi posted:

Well you need magicite to clear 160 battles, so you'd better get working on that.

:v:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Got Edgar's OSB on the daily draw, seeing a disco from that is so fuckin weird after playing like a year and a half without ever getting anything better than a 3*.

Not sure when this thing will ever be useful, but maybe someday there will be a use for poison.

edit: Unrelated, but how do you guys deal with the slow on the Tactics Torment? I tried using Unicorn to astra it but that didn't seem to work? I've had to just wait until he uses the first slow before casting my hastega, but then he uses another one near the end right before he starts dropping the heavy AoE and it completely wrecks me. Slow accessories don't seem to help, and I need the elemental resistance too much to give that up anyway (also should I be running dark res or poison? Hard to tell which is more dangerous).

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 6, 2019

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I'm at a really annoying juncture where I can almost down Geosgaeno, except that he Stone Punches and then finishes off my last two characters with 1-5% HP left.

And I really, really don't want to have to spend my very limited Rubies on Chain Thundaja when I'm so drat close.

Obvious answer is to use an astra, but you may not have one or incorporating one would probably require relearning the whole fight. So alternatives that you may already be doing:

The phase transition is super scripted, basically as soon as you cross the 40% threshold he does the hone draining move, then an AoE poison, then the stone punch. So make sure 2, 3, and 4 are used up by the time that poison has gone off and that 1 and 5 are as healed as possible and are your main DPS. If you had a single really strong DPS you could consider DPS in 1 and healer in 5 to sustain longer, but that probably won't last much longer than just having 2 DPS nuking him as fast as possible.

You can also try delaying the phase transition as long as possible, since that's what starts the "countdown." So if you can slow play phase 2 to build up gauge for a bunch of giant gently caress-off SBs in phase 3, that might be worthwhile. Also, since the transition happens at 40%, it's better to do a big attack that knocks him well past 40% instead of just limping over the border, since then you have less work to do in the last phase.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

eelmonger posted:

Obvious answer is to use an astra, but you may not have one or incorporating one would probably require relearning the whole fight. So alternatives that you may already be doing:

The phase transition is super scripted, basically as soon as you cross the 40% threshold he does the hone draining move, then an AoE poison, then the stone punch. So make sure 2, 3, and 4 are used up by the time that poison has gone off and that 1 and 5 are as healed as possible and are your main DPS. If you had a single really strong DPS you could consider DPS in 1 and healer in 5 to sustain longer, but that probably won't last much longer than just having 2 DPS nuking him as fast as possible.

You can also try delaying the phase transition as long as possible, since that's what starts the "countdown." So if you can slow play phase 2 to build up gauge for a bunch of giant gently caress-off SBs in phase 3, that might be worthwhile. Also, since the transition happens at 40%, it's better to do a big attack that knocks him well past 40% instead of just limping over the border, since then you have less work to do in the last phase.

Yeah I use Elarra USB as soon as the poison goes off, and 1 and 5 are USB Shantotto and USB Maria. Garnet's chain is in progress too (she's slot 2, Elarra 3, Tyro 4). Both are almost out of hones at this point, Shantotto running double R4 5* witch thunder, and Maria running R4 Chain Thundaga and Voltech. We are well into the doublecast-athon by the time he hits 40%, and while Shantotto AOSB would be an easy win, I don't have it. I did just pick up her triplecast LMR, that might be the edge I need?

I think the only other change I can really make at this point is to try and throw some extra Entrust at Garnet so she can use BSB2 faster since it tends to outdamage Vali at high chain because it's 4-hit. ...Or buy and hone Chain Thundaja for Maria.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Onmi posted:

Even if the Nightmare dungeons have been power crept a bit by the current state of relics, clearing all of those within 3 weeks of starting is pretty drat impressive.

(Realizing now that I never did go back to attempt to get Mastery on Kaiser Dragon but ehhhh gently caress it)

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Shock Trooper posted:

(Realizing now that I never did go back to attempt to get Mastery on Kaiser Dragon but ehhhh gently caress it)

If anything, getting Mastery on Kaiser Dragon is even harder now since you have to intentionally pull your punches in order to let the RNG run its course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Looking through 2nd III banner is Aria the only to have this elemental barrier gimmick? I don't remember anyone else having barriers or boosting resist for the other elements.