Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

terrified of my bathroom posted:

iirc drone bandwidth was added to stop people from flying 5 heavy drone ishkurs in like, 2006. bandwidth wasn't the limiting factor on drones in carriers either, you were capped at a theoretical 15

I was too poor to fly a Ishtar back then. The only thing I noticed was one day I could use 5 heavy drones in my Myrm, they next day I could only use 4. Its funny, because now you can use 5 heavy drones in an Ishtar just fine or a cheap Vexor Navy Issue, but the poor Myrmidon is still nerfed :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Rutibex posted:

I was too poor to fly a Ishtar back then. The only thing I noticed was one day I could use 5 heavy drones in my Myrm, they next day I could only use 4. Its funny, because now you can use 5 heavy drones in an Ishtar just fine or a cheap Vexor Navy Issue, but the poor Myrmidon is still nerfed :(

ishkur, as in the assault frigate

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ishkur, as in the assault frigate

Oh lol you could use 5 heavy drone in a frigate? Yeah that's a bit much.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Rutibex posted:

Oh lol you could use 5 heavy drone in a frigate? Yeah that's a bit much.

my understanding was that early in the game, you could launch as many drones as you were capable of carrying in your drone bay. that was well before my time though

edit: https://www.eveonline.com/article/these-are-not-the-drones....-havent-we-done-this-title-already here's a 2005 dev blog where they talk about capping drones at 5 (and how a perfect skilled domi could have 15 heavies out before that), and https://www.eveonline.com/article/attribute-reassignment-modifier-scripts-and-bandwidth here is a 2007 one about adding bandwidth

terrified of my bathroom fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 5, 2018

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

my understanding was that early in the game, you could launch as many drones as you were capable of carrying in your drone bay. that was well before my time though

You could only launch up to 5. The "Drones" skill was a hard cap on how many you could launch.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Rutibex posted:

You could only launch up to 5. The "Drones" skill was a hard cap on how many you could launch.

check the edits i just made, the drones skill was changed in 2005, 2 years before bandwidth

AGGGGH BEES
Apr 28, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Wasn't the myrm nerfed because it made the domi largely obsolete?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

check the edits i just made, the drones skill was changed in 2005, 2 years before bandwidth

Well that is before my time, I am not so ancient as to remember Dominix with 15 drones. What a time to be alive!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rutibex posted:

but the poor Myrmidon is still nerfed :(

It's stupid how much you go on about this when the ship is actually really good. Dual rep myrms are a staple pvp ship in terms of price / performance. There are a bunch of usable fits. Plus it's a staple cheap PVE ship for people who aren't botting VNIs.

Like back in the days you are talking about I remember people generally avoiding drones for pvp, because drone targeting was buggy and actually applying damage in pvp was often pretty iffy. There were memes drones doing random poo poo while your ship was being blown up. Drone bandwidth may have been a nerf, but drones didn't really take off as a primary weapon until after a) CCP improved their responsiveness to manual commands and b) the change to drone interfacing so a level 5 skill with 1m SP wasn't required to make drones decent.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

https://www.fuzzwork.co.uk/lpstore/sell/10000002/1000051/withblueprints

personally i would do republic fleet shield extenders, ab's/mwd's, scrams/disruptors, and webs since those probably move the fastest

when using that site also check the buy order prices, because if you want isk quick the answer is actually ammo.

RF webs do seem tasty right now though, there are only 17 (!) of them on the entire market

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
I'm playing for the first time in a lon, long time, not really seeing any good PVE or PVP armor fits for my Ishtar. Did shield tanking get a big boost even in Gallente ships?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Rutibex posted:

Well that is before my time, I am not so ancient as to remember Dominix with 15 drones. What a time to be alive!

Guardian-Vexors still allow for this, but I think there are maybe 5 or 6 on TQ. I saw one once in 2007.

Edit

As I recall roughly 5 x 10 run bpcs were awarded to some tournament winners. So theoretically there were once 50, but many have been killed and I am sure there are some on some long dead accounts.

So only like 5 or 6 are known. Again, old information from my old brain.

Double edit

I miss the drone bonuses on my Moros that let me nearly out DPS my Thanatos’s fighters on subcaps.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 5, 2018

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Grevlek posted:

I'm playing for the first time in a lon, long time, not really seeing any good PVE or PVP armor fits for my Ishtar. Did shield tanking get a big boost even in Gallente ships?

Not exactly. Ishtars are just not as good as they once were. For PVE a VNI makes more sense from a return on investment perspective. Goonfleet dot com has a good breakdown of the benefits of the various Gal drone boats for PVE. You don't really see Ishtars used in a PVP context either since they buffed the other HACs. Big fleet comps right now revolve around Munnins and Cerberi.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Saul Kain posted:

Not exactly. Ishtars are just not as good as they once were. For PVE a VNI makes more sense from a return on investment perspective. Goonfleet dot com has a good breakdown of the benefits of the various Gal drone boats for PVE. You don't really see Ishtars used in a PVP context either since they buffed the other HACs. Big fleet comps right now revolve around Munnins and Cerberi.

People use Munnins? Back in my day people fit these with artillery, which made their tanks super anemic and their alpha still wasn’t even as good.

Now keep in mind I ran in mostly small rr gangs, so the distance alpha strike thing was not really good meta for the type of pvp I saw most of, so we never flew them and rarely saw them outside of null sec gate camps.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Saul Kain posted:

You don't really see Ishtars used in a PVP context either since they buffed the other HACs. Big fleet comps right now revolve around Munnins and Cerberi.

What? Ishtars are still pretty popular. Space Violence and Reavers both run them as does NCdot. Horde just unveiled a new Ishtar doctrine too (which promptly got bombed and then denied reimbursement :laffo:)

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Rutibex posted:

drone interfacing used to give you access to more drones. You used to be able to fly a thorax with 8 ogres in it. This was years and years ago, of course.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

What? Ishtars are still pretty popular. Space Violence and Reavers both run them as does NCdot. Horde just unveiled a new Ishtar doctrine too (which promptly got bombed and then denied reimbursement :laffo:)

I'm gonna assume they got denied because they didn't to turn off meds, because otherwise that sounds like a good way to discourage line members from showing up

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
P sure goons would burn down 1dq if you denied a whole fleet reimbursement for something that wasn't their fault

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

I am bad at Eve.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

BL uses Muninns pretty well. The Alpha they can chunk out is pretty terrifying.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

hello, Angelique

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
It begins, again.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Pomp posted:

I'm gonna assume they got denied because they didn't to turn off meds, because otherwise that sounds like a good way to discourage line members from showing up

srp isn't automatic in horde and is super sporadic https://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/a356ls/pandemic_horde_tests_the_ishtars_tank/eb4cemn

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Pomp posted:

Or they just got denied because someone borrowed from the wallet and there wasn't enough money.

brakanjan
May 26, 2014

orange juche posted:

It's a lot of work, and generally not going to happen. Best bet work your way up and steal all the poo poo.

Thanks.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ZombieLenin posted:

People use Munnins? Back in my day people fit these with artillery, which made their tanks super anemic and their alpha still wasn’t even as good.

Now keep in mind I ran in mostly small rr gangs, so the distance alpha strike thing was not really good meta for the type of pvp I saw most of, so we never flew them and rarely saw them outside of null sec gate camps.

they buffed the munnin a tiny bit by moving the (useless) utility high slot to an extra mid. so now they can have a good-enough shield tank.

Pomp posted:

P sure goons would burn down 1dq if you denied a whole fleet reimbursement for something that wasn't their fault

PH is full of the most pathetic bootlickers when it comes to SRP. They don't even go with the old "SRP makes people bad at the game" thing, they seem to flat out believe their SRP is as good as everyone else. They go into deep, deep denial when you tell them that goonfleet was doing full SRP even back when we weren't fuckoff rich.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Pomp posted:

To be fair we might also do it by accident.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Klyith posted:

PH is full of the most pathetic bootlickers when it comes to SRP. They don't even go with the old "SRP makes people bad at the game" thing, they seem to flat out believe their SRP is as good as everyone else. They go into deep, deep denial when you tell them that goonfleet was doing full SRP even back when we weren't fuckoff rich.

Yeah, we were still SRPing strategic op poo poo all through 2016 when we had zero loving income. We did cut peacetime, though. The trick is to have a lot of money, instead of almost none.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The trick is to have a lot of money, instead of almost none.
:frogon:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Yeah, we were still SRPing strategic op poo poo all through 2016 when we had zero loving income. We did cut peacetime, though. The trick is to have a lot of money, instead of almost none.

This reminds me in 2011 or 2012 when Zagdul emptied FA's coffers right before a major war despite having been told that the CFC was about t go to war. FA's SRP didn't fare well that time.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Klyith posted:

Like back in the days you are talking about I remember people generally avoiding drones for pvp, because drone targeting was buggy and actually applying damage in pvp was often pretty iffy. There were memes drones doing random poo poo while your ship was being blown up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnKk2ysyNrA&t=181s

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Dalael posted:

This reminds me in 2011 or 2012 when Zagdul emptied FA's coffers right before a major war despite having been told that the CFC was about t go to war. FA's SRP didn't fare well that time.

What did he buy? I don't even remember...

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Ynglaur posted:

What did he buy? I don't even remember...

I'm not entirely sure how he spent most of it, but one of the ways was afree carrier & dread skillbook program not long before that war. I got mine just before I left :smug:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Hmm, maybe that happened after I left.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Hi thread. I went to the Victoria and Albert museum in London to see their videogames exhibition. On the poster, they mentioned creators and players, specifically, amazing things players have done.

I started to get a tingle.

When I got to the second movie room, they were showing four movies showcasing amazing things players have done with games. One of them was EVE.

I smiled a bit wider.

I was not surprised to see this logo flash onscreen in the description of the largest online space battle ever.

And I laughed and got a scolding look from the curator.

So congratulations. You guys are in a loving museum.

P.s. was $300,000 of real money actually destroyed, or was it game currency?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

In-game assets, that if purchased with in-game money (called ISK) and then converted to USD at that time, would have been worth about that much.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair
I want very badly, like to the point where I already have an alt named and training for it, a FAX that would cost around $600 USD. Whenever I have extra money, I buy carriers and shelve them on the off chance I get my assets high enough to liquidate to buy one. Then I do dumb things like run the monthly events in 1dq in a thanatos designed for scanning down anomalies and generate a 5bn lossmail. Replacing the carrier (and suitcased Rattlesnake :v:) would cost roughly $50 if I were to buy plex to sell for isk.

What I am saying is I am absolutely ready to welp whatever the gently caress I have handy when the $1,000,000 USD battle happens and give nearly no shits about it.

The only things we don't mine in Delve is fucks.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Micromancer posted:

a FAX that would cost around $600 USD.

post fit please

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

CCP posted war dec changes. Summary: in order to be eligible for a wardec, you need to have a structure in space somewhere. Citadels/etc, POCOs, POS, and ihub/tcu all count.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

CCP posted war dec changes. Summary: in order to be eligible for a wardec, you need to have a structure in space somewhere. Citadels/etc, POCOs, POS, and ihub/tcu all count.

These look pretty well done. CCP actually made sure the entire thing wouldn't be pointless, by giving you a way to automatically decline structures (so that you can't be made war-eligible against your will).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I hope there's an epidemic of war deccers using spies to set up structures