Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Pierzak posted:

:xcom:

You do remember that aliens start the first turn with full TU for overwatch and to never fight at night, right?

(also, you haven't played the original UFO until you've had an alien grenade thrown into a packed Skyranger)

I've had some night fights that went OK due to liberal use of flares but yeah I've been either immediately ending my turn or having a tank out front for the first turn and that's worked pretty well so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
Remember, always use smoke grenades!

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Wario Land 3 goes back to a nice world map like Wario Land, and it's much better than the branching path map of Wario Land II. The game introduces treasures that once found give Wario permanent power-ups, or will unlock previously blocked areas of past levels. This adds a bit of a search action aspect to the game. However, it also becomes a bit frustrating because there isn't an easy way to know which levels have accessible treasures (each level has 4 treasures), so you can either guess or go back to the main temple to get guidance towards a single level. It would've been nice to be able to see that via an info popup or something. Two other annoyances: when collecting the 8 musical coins in a level, you have to get them in a single run through a level - it doesn't remember partially collected coins; and knockback from enemies is way too big which results in getting knocked off of platforms after being blind-sided by offscreen enemies. Overall, though, a fun game that is slightly better than WL2.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Joe Chill posted:

Remember, always set everything on fire!

ftfy

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mr E posted:

I've had some night fights that went OK due to liberal use of flares but yeah I've been either immediately ending my turn or having a tank out front for the first turn and that's worked pretty well so far.

One of my strongest memories of X-Com is spending about a million building a hovertank and shipping it over to my secondary base. It had been a lot of time and effort, but it was worth it, since it would finally, finally allow the place to stop being such a death march. I loaded it up, it proudly rolled off the ramp...

And promptly was destroyed in one shot by a random heavy plasma shot.

That base was later destroyed by aliens. I'm pretty sure it qualified as a mercy killing.

(Of course, I can't much complain about my overall luck that run, considering my highest ranked soldier was actually immortal. But bragging about good luck feels much less appropriate to X-Com discussion than joking about the bad.)

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Finally finished Ever Oasis! Ran into a bit of trouble with the final boss gauntlet the first time (probably because I didn't take the time to get max gear, or was under by 2 levels) so I wound up cheesing the fight by sniping fom afar with a ranged character. Typical anime ending too where they attempt to tug on the heart strings with a self sacrifice to heal chaos and the desert from evil. Outside of that it was an alright light and easy game, one of those 7/10 also rans, which is why it's not sky high expensive despite being one of the last games released on 3DS. Even though I'll probably be selling my copy shortly, I'd recommend just booting it on a hacked console if you want a mindless action game.

Also took Metal Slug 7 for a whirl afterwards. I still suck at it but like it, though it seems slightly stiffer than other Metal Slug games. Could just be my imagination. Also is one of the games I'll have to cheat with on my goal, as I am too bad at most arcade style video games to actually beat them.

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
I had to offload my Series X and Switch a while to cover some emergency expenses and have been missing video games. So, I downloaded Pizza Boy on my phone and have been playing some GB/GBC games which has been fun but annoying with the touch controls. Well, I have a Genesis Mini controller and literally just had the revelation that I could just plug it into my phone and wow my life has been changed. I went through the GB Club thread and grabbed a bunch of games and started with Trax which is so much fun. Also grabbed the english patch of Samurai Kid which is a cool action platformer/puzzle game.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Still having a lot of fun with A Link to the Past; I've gotten to the point where I have the Power Glove, the Ice Rod, the magic powder and the mirror - roughly halfway? But now I'm stuck. There is a pendant in the desert area (where you need the translation book to enter) and in the Caves of Death or whatever their names, but I just can't figure out how to proceed. Any hints? I must be missing something obvious since none of the puzzles have been that hard to figure out so far...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Still having a lot of fun with A Link to the Past; I've gotten to the point where I have the Power Glove, the Ice Rod, the magic powder and the mirror - roughly halfway? But now I'm stuck. There is a pendant in the desert area (where you need the translation book to enter) and in the Caves of Death or whatever their names, but I just can't figure out how to proceed. Any hints? I must be missing something obvious since none of the puzzles have been that hard to figure out so far...

You're supposed to go to the palace on the east side of the map as your first dungeon. If you've done that, then make sure you returned to talk to the sage who lives right next to it so he can fill you in on how the quest is supposed to proceed.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Random Stranger posted:

You're supposed to go to the palace on the east side of the map as your first dungeon. If you've done that, then make sure you returned to talk to the sage who lives right next to it so he can fill you in on how the quest is supposed to proceed.

I think I already did that. I'm guessing there must be more to the Desert Temple than simply finding the Power Glove. Next time I play I'll go back there and check it out. Pretty sure I'm not yet equipped for Death Mountain aside from having the mirror.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I think I already did that. I'm guessing there must be more to the Desert Temple than simply finding the Power Glove. Next time I play I'll go back there and check it out. Pretty sure I'm not yet equipped for Death Mountain aside from having the mirror.

Okay, yeah, you've already done that. Then the next thing is to finish the Desert Palace, so, yes, you haven't fully explored it until you reach the boss and get the pendent. You have to go back outside of the palace, and then you can find another entrance you couldn't reach before.

You're also able to get to the top of the mountain now, but to save you from the run around, you'll want to finish the desert first.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Dusting off the old, yellowing SNES and it turns out X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse still works. I'd forgotten how intense the soundtrack was.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvCarZ2ybtA

And the reason I don't trust water in any game.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

At least it's Cyclops getting shanked.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Wario Land 4 was a disappointment coming from WL3. With the GBA hardware, it's definitely prettier and the sound is better, but the actual gameplay is worse. In each of the levels, you need to find 4 pieces of a jewel and the key to the next level - otherwise, you cannot progress properly in the game. You also need to find a switch to re-open the exit to the level, which starts a timer to get back to the beginning of the level. They also brought back hearts, so you can die in levels, which is a reversal from the previous games. The main game is pretty short and is padded out by arcadey time trial and score rankings. Overall, I thought this was a big step down in the series.

I also played Virtual Boy Wario Land which came out between WL and WL2. It's a very linear game with no ability to easily back track and replay levels if you want. I didn't play on an actual VirtualBoy, so I didn't fully experience the 3D aspects. Overall, it was quick and fine.

I'm probably done with Wario games for now.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Been playing a translated version of Holy Umbrella for the Super Famicom. It's fun but it is not remotely challenging at all.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

i slapped retroarch on my appletv and loaded up Jumping Flash! for the first time. this game kicks piles of rear end, it really has the feel of a 2d platformer that was pretty slickly given a third dimension to run and jump around in

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

EightFlyingCars posted:

i slapped retroarch on my appletv and loaded up Jumping Flash! for the first time. this game kicks piles of rear end, it really has the feel of a 2d platformer that was pretty slickly given a third dimension to run and jump around in

I tell folks about this game all the time and they call it old and bad. They don’t know what they are missing!!

PuttyKnife fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 19, 2024

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

PuttyKnife posted:

I tell folks about this game all the time and they call it old and bad. They don’t know what it is missing!!

well i call them dumb and wrong!

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Suikoden I has been super neat, especially after getting past the slow beginning and building up the army. I just wish it would stop forcing me to take along the characters it wants and actually let me mix around the dozens of party members I’ve recruited.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Ufouria: The Saga - I saw that a sequel for this game was released recently. I'd never heard of it, so I decided to try out the original. It is a competent, early search action game where you have to rescue your friends and escape the odd world you've found yourself in. As you rescue your friends, you are able to switch between the characters who each have their own abilities (e.g. long jump, swimming, etc.). There are also powerups throughout, and a primitive map to keep track of where you need to go. It is relatively short, and the niceties of modern gaming are sorely missed. But it was bizarre and fun.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

emSparkly posted:

Suikoden I has been super neat, especially after getting past the slow beginning and building up the army. I just wish it would stop forcing me to take along the characters it wants and actually let me mix around the dozens of party members I’ve recruited.
The game does eventually let you have more freedom over whom you take with you. Suikoden 2 is much better about that as well, where they force party comp less and also have a "convoy" slot you can stick a plot-mandated character in and they're not in the actual party, but they're "present" for the purposes of cutscenes and such. You can also rearrange your party when someone joins, so there's no Lepant situations where someone joins for a climactic battle with great personal importance to them... and can't participate at all because they're an S-range character who got stuck in the back row with no runes or items.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Darkwing Duck - what a solid Mega Man clone (not a surprise, since it was made by Capcom).

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Fartin' around with all my Playstation Underground discs tonight.

It was awesome while it lasted.

Quiet Feet fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 25, 2024

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

I’ve played some Oubliette on PLATO systems but never made the leap to Wizardry.

For reference: https://mattbarton.net/?p=990

So now here I am booting up Wizardry on Switch. The one thing I’m excited about is that it doesn’t have the friendly orange glow but I’m also excited to dig in to a series I haven’t really given a chance.

Edit: First party died to a gaggle of werebears.
Edit 2: Ohhhhh, that's what you all mean about Murphy's Ghosts.

PuttyKnife fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 25, 2024

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Played Jumping Flash on PS1.
A first person platformer with tank controls sounds like a terrible idea yet it worked great

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
I finished Tiberian Sun, and now have Firestorm next.

The GDI campaign was pretty meh and the Nod one was slightly better. But the game does feel kinda half-baked. I learned it's development was full of problems, so that's probably why.

TuxedoOrca fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 26, 2024

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fired up Mario 64 to help a younger family memeber. God this game sucks still.

freelop posted:

Played Jumping Flash on PS1.
A first person platformer with tank controls sounds like a terrible idea yet it worked great

Unironically one of the best playstation 1 games

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Found cheap copies of Fable 2+3 and so have ended up playing the original Fable since I haven't played any of them. I don't understand why everyone calls my character Chicken Chaser but this game sure does feel a mile wide and an inch deep in true Peter Molyneux fashion.

Zarikov
Jun 20, 2004

Metal Gear? Metal Gear? Metal Gear!
Dinosaur Gum
I just beat Megaman Legends 2 and now I too get to be salty about the cancelled sequel :,(

Great games though. The art style is incredible... feels like with gaming the way it is lately, Capcom could remake the first two and add a sequel chapter and make a killing on the cheap. Love the early 3d-ness of moving around, and the mouth animation in 1 is inspirational.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zarikov posted:

I just beat Megaman Legends 2 and now I too get to be salty about the cancelled sequel :,(

Great games though. The art style is incredible... feels like with gaming the way it is lately, Capcom could remake the first two and add a sequel chapter and make a killing on the cheap. Love the early 3d-ness of moving around, and the mouth animation in 1 is inspirational.

They sold not very good and Tiesels voice actor is a mandatory no option recast so I dont think Capcom is gonna invest.

You still have Adventures of Tronn Bonne to play though, so there is a trilogy!

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Playing 007: Everything or Nothing on Xbox

The intro was cool and it really does have a Pierce Brosnan bond feel to it but unless I'm missing something the game is really let down by the controls.

Standard 3rd person controls with the right stick controlling the camera and then you use the left trigger to lock into the enemy closest to the center of the view to shoot at them.

When it works it's fine but I'm getting killed over and over because it decides it doesn't want to lock into the enemy slowly walking around your cover and shooting you point blank in the face.

I'll admit I haven't checked to see if there's an alternate control scheme in the settings.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Now on to Suikoden II. Right from the jump this game is a million times more polished than the first one. I started all this wanting to play Suikoden III, and deciding to start on the first because I'm a sucker for games that carry over saves. I do not regret this, these games are super neat and charming. I might just play IV and V too.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Started Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance for the PS2.

Please somebody have a talk with the kobolds. My little dudes I am murdering you by the dozens this is not good for your species or culture.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

emSparkly posted:

Now on to Suikoden II. Right from the jump this game is a million times more polished than the first one. I started all this wanting to play Suikoden III, and deciding to start on the first because I'm a sucker for games that carry over saves. I do not regret this, these games are super neat and charming. I might just play IV and V too.

Suikoden II has one of my absolute favorite true endings ever. I've been meaning to play it again for years but I don't want to follow a recruitment guide like I did last time, which is at total odds with my desire to be a completionist and do everything, and thus I do not play. Still love the game though.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
There's a lot of games you tried as a kid that you never got far in. You loved them but they were definitely asking a lot from even a dedicated gamer to learn blind.

I've been clawing my way through Super Punch-out after a lifetime of taking the free five at the start and then getting bodied. I got Hoy Qarlow today! Classic feeling of clearing that one merciless bugbear. Hell, every fight since Masked Muscle I've had a good shout when I finally got that win. I can see why I was walled as a kiddo. :kiddo: I'd say each fight has been 10-45 minutes of muscle memory learning and lining up a clean down 1 followed by not fumbling down 2 when they activate the back half of their tricks.

I also woke up sick and getting that excited agitated my headache after it started to fade so only a few exploratory swings at Rick for the day.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Doomykins posted:

There's a lot of games you tried as a kid that you never got far in. You loved them but they were definitely asking a lot from even a dedicated gamer to learn blind.

I've been clawing my way through Super Punch-out after a lifetime of taking the free five at the start and then getting bodied. I got Hoy Qarlow today! Classic feeling of clearing that one merciless bugbear. Hell, every fight since Masked Muscle I've had a good shout when I finally got that win. I can see why I was walled as a kiddo. :kiddo: I'd say each fight has been 10-45 minutes of muscle memory learning and lining up a clean down 1 followed by not fumbling down 2 when they activate the back half of their tricks.

I also woke up sick and getting that excited agitated my headache after it started to fade so only a few exploratory swings at Rick for the day.

I always bounced off Super Punch Out and had non interest until Summoning Salt’s video.

Still won’t play it but at least it’s interesting?

https://youtu.be/RRF6LTEYLBA?si=2hmFa_9i8rqWVTOt

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
It's a series you can get a good feel for and quickly emulate most of within 20 minutes and it's fun as hell. I'm on Switch myself. Committing to your first beaten game is like learning a doggedly cruel Dark Souls boss for the first time.

The speedrunner content is great though how they manipulate the boxers to take punches they guard for me is sorcery beyond my understanding, something about reading your inputs to force certain moves or attacking them "from a neutral position" so their guard is down. Or getting such good muscle memory you can get every frame perfect counter as they begin an attack.

The RNG guys are definitely the hardest, my current worst fights are Hoy, Macho Man and Mad Clown in that order. Seeing people put Hoy down without eating multiple blocks and shoves is magic.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I'm currently playing a game I never thought I would get to play: Fear Effect Inferno! It would have been the third game in the cyberpunk/supernatural horror Fear Effect series (instead we much later got the thoroughly underwhelming Fear Effect Sedna), but was cancelled by Eidos circa 2003. It was finally recovered recently, along with its entire script and storyboards, so even though the build that's been made available is only about 50% complete you can still see how the story would have played out.

Inferno makes a jump from the PS1 originals to PS2, gaining full-3D environments in some areas (though the rest keep the traditional survival horror fixed angles) and replaces tank controls with full analog. The first two levels, the Mansion and the Hospital, are more or less fully playable, though with bugs and glitches that can supposedly be fixed using Cheat Engine (didn't work for me, though) and some parts that are unfinished. The other two levels, Shan Xi and City of the Dead, are a lot less developed; some parts can be played, but not for long before you hit some obstacle that hasn't been coded yet. Far fewer cutscenes have been completed in the latter parts of the game as well, only getting placeholder text in the cutscene viewer, so you'll need the script to figure out what's going on.

Anyway, what is going on? Short version: series antiheroine Hana has had enough of her life being controlled by the debt she owes to the Triads, and when boss Frank Minkz refuses to let her buy it off, she decides to bring in her friends to help kill him. This does not go well. She dies and goes to Hell.

Hana Tsu-Vachel: French-Chinese mercenary for hire/Triad assassin. Permanently pissed off and sarcastic, the only person she has time for is her "best friend" (they're lovers :gay: ) Rain.

Rain Qin: British(?)-Chinese hacker and techno-geek, and also a demigod who is the daughter of the ancient Chinese emperor Qin Zheng (it's complicated). In Fear Effect 2 she was new to the mercenary game and needed constant coaching by Hana, but here she's clearly had rear end-kicking lessons.

Royce Glas: American ex-soldier who deep down is a true do-gooder, but just keeps getting crapped on by life and as a result is cynical in the extreme. His bewildered expression here is his standard response to... well, most things.

Jacob 'Deke' DeCourt: Australian psychopath and killer who enjoys nothing more than sadistic ultraviolence, as long as he's the one inflicting it.

The big thing in pre-publicity was that the story ostensibly sets up a love triangle between Hana, Rain and Glas, but it amounts to Hana telling Rain she loves her in her 'if you see this I'm dead' message, while in Glas's version it's more "eh, you're okay, I suppose. Take care." and Glas having the option to sleep with Rain while she's lonely and grieving after Hana's death, or be a gentleman and don't. If there's anything more to it, I haven't seen it.

How does it play, then? Kind of weirdly, and not just because it's unfinished. You start the game not as one of the main characters, but a random guard at Minkz's mansion, who wanders around for a while before eventually getting into a fight with Deke, at which point the POV shifts to him. It's a very odd choice, because you could easily get lost in the mansion and spend 10 or 15 minutes checking each door before finding where you need to be to advance the plot. Similarly, the hospital level begins not with you as Hana, but a nurse who has to find and revive her. Both these decisions arguably mean that you get a chance to explore the locations in peace before having to fight your way through them, but it drags the pace right down at the start of each section.

This is Biff. You start the game as him. He doesn't live long.

Combat is also unfinished; it works in some ways, but not the ones you'd expect. On PS1, getting into melee combat was a last resort with a good chance of getting you killed unless you managed to ambush someone. Here, it's actually more effective than using guns, although probably only because the gunfight system isn't finalized. I've seen the combat described as Devil May Cry-style, and when you're punching and kicking you turn into a whirlwind that sends enemies flying. (Hana also has a brutal finishing move where she leaps on a downed enemy and stabs them in the throat.) Using guns, on the other hand, feels completely random as your character tumbles about spraying bullets in all directions.

This being a Fear Effect game, there are also, of course, bullshit puzzles every so often to slow things down and annoy you on a second playthrough. I haven't seen anything as infuriating to work out as 1's flower vases or 2's fuses, but then there's plenty of the game that wasn't accessible, and the scripts frequently include the dread phrase "Cut to puzzle gameplay."

Also since this is a Fear Effect game, you get the female characters being overtly sexualized in that turn-of-the-century Maxim magazine way. Cleavage! Dead Or Alive-sized boobs! Very short skirts! Butt cheeks! Upskirt angles at inappropriate moments!

And the thing that got Eidos's publicity department in a frenzy with FE2, lesbians!

Lesbians!

Lesbi- GAH! Witness the power of the PS2's Emotion Engine! (The emotion being horror.)

So, yeah, there's a lot there that's of its time (although the number of online comments I've seen in the vein of "they wouldn't make a game like this today, everything's gone woke" makes me just :negative: out) and it's hard to judge if they could have tuned the combat system to make it work fluidly rather than just be desperate button-mashing. But I'm a fan of the series as a whole despite its flaws and would have loved to see the 'proper' continuation, and the combination of Chinese mythology, cyberpunk, horror and cel-shading gives it a unique feeling, with some gorgeously designed locations, even if I had to brighten them up in the screenshots to show the detail. So it was great to see at least part of what could have been.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 4, 2024

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
8lesbians2hairstyles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Barudak posted:

They sold not very good and Tiesels voice actor is a mandatory no option recast so I dont think Capcom is gonna invest.

You still have Adventures of Tronn Bonne to play though, so there is a trilogy!

You mean the English dub actor who died in 2020? Yeah I guess he can't do that voice anymore. I doubt that would be what stops Capcom from making more games in the series, but yeah if they sold poorly, that's a very good reason.