Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Anne Whateley posted:

That's pressure frying. Broiling is just the cooking method where you use the broiler (hottest part of your oven cranked to max).

Also with pressure frying you're not really trying to get the hot oil inside the food. You're trying to keep the moisture inside the food, which pressure helps with by raising the boiling point of water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Anne Whateley posted:

That's pressure frying. Broiling is just the cooking method where you use the broiler (hottest part of your oven cranked to max).

Am I correct in understanding that when you use an oven's broiler, the heat only comes from the top down?

My mom always suggests I put things on the top rack and broil for a couple of minutes to get things (like chicken skins) crispy.

edit: American here :patriot:

double edit: all my knowledge of British toasters comes from this very silly Housemartins video from the 1980s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEOzHNXuZLA&t=265s

DasNeonLicht fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 29, 2018

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Squashy Nipples posted:

Even more fun, the commercial broilers that restaurants use are called salamanders.

That's also what we call those kerosene garage heaters!
(do not use for cooking food)

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Since we're talking about kitchen-appliance anatomy now anyways, has anyone run into problems with recipes from approximately between the world wars?

My impression is that modern (anything made after about 1980) appliances are highly standardized. You've got a thing somebody is going to call a stove, or an oven, or (if you're weird) a hob, and it's a large rectangular space (the oven) under a level surface with 4 (sometimes 5 or 6) heating elements (the stove or stovetop). There's usually a drawer underneath that many people (myself included) use to store pots & pans, but some people will be horrified by this because that's the warming drawer and has a specific food-preparation function.

I've used a... I'll call it a "cooker"... from the 1950's (1953 at the latest, possibly earlier). Kinda like this one: http://richtweets.com/hotpoint-stov...t-bake-element/ except the one I used was propane-fired.

There were three rectangular chambers, an oven about 1/2 the size of my oven in my apartment (we roasted a turkey in it, it just barely fit at about 10 pounds), a warming oven that could be set to a maximum temperature of about 250 F, and a tray we used as the toaster, underneat the warming oven that got its heat from the flames directly above it that warmed the warming oven. There were four propane-fired elements on the left half of the top, and the right half was just a nice heat-resistant flat enameled surface. So, not super different from a modern device, but I've seen more interesting designs in museums.

Has anyone adapted a recipe from like the 1930's that was written with one of these old things in mind?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Friends coming round tomorrow, planning on doing some Greek food. Any recommendations for some show-stoppers?

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

DasNeonLicht posted:

Am I correct in understanding that when you use an oven's broiler, the heat only comes from the top down?

My mom always suggests I put things on the top rack and broil for a couple of minutes to get things (like chicken skins) crispy.

double edit: all my knowledge of British toasters comes from this very silly Housemartins video from the 1980s.

Yes it should be the top heating element getting red hot. Using the top rack just helps focus the heat to the top of the dish. It's really good for making lots of toast, open face sandwiches, browning dishes and on and on.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

DasNeonLicht posted:

Yeah, but it varies a little because it depends whether your oven's heating element is at the top or the bottom. My gas oven's heating element is only on the bottom, so when I want to bake in the regular oven, the heat is coming from the bottom, and when I want to broil something, I need to open the door under the heating element (which in some/most cases is a warming drawer) and put the food there. The goal of a broiler, though, is always high heat, quick cooking, and crispiness on top.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Scientastic posted:

Friends coming round tomorrow, planning on doing some Greek food. Any recommendations for some show-stoppers?

Souvlaki! I prefer lamb, but you can find chicken souvlaki recipes also. Very colorful, very tasty. I serve with homemade tzatziki instead of the sauce listed here, and make falafel for veg guests (if needed). Make sure to get the soft pita instead of the pocket kind to serve with.

There's also Greek fries, which everyone loves. Depending on how much time I have I will sometimes make my own fries and sometimes just buy a bunch of fries from my favorite local place and add my own feta + lemon + herbs + more of that tzatziki.

If you're feeling ambitious there's always baklava - definitely buy your filo, don't make your own, but plan on rather a bit of time for prep. A pretty impressive thing to make, even with store bought filo.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Q8ee posted:

Americans absolutely butcher words.
In this case it's precisely the opposite: `broiling' in British English usage was similar to the current American usage (that is, to cook by direct radiant heat) until the 19th Century, about the same time Americans were resolutely refusing to adopt `Phidomageireion' to refer to the then-new-fangled gas stove (which device the OED tells us was not a `cooker' in British English until decades later).

`Griddle' is arrives via Norman English ca the 12th Century, and originally referred to a small gridiron, and is from whence we get `grill', the two being used more or less interchangeably through the 17th Century. Which was about the time a `salamander' was coming to mean an overhead broiler instead of a long-handled cast iron implement placed in a fire until red-hot and then pressed onto the top surface of grilling food...itself a reference to an earlier usage in which any red-hot iron implement used for searing anything, e.g. the apostate, was a `salamander'.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

SubG posted:

History of cooking
This is really interesting to me. Can you recommend a book or something about the history of ways to cook food?

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

SubG posted:

In this case it's precisely the opposite: `broiling' in British English usage was similar to the current American usage (that is, to cook by direct radiant heat) until the 19th Century, about the same time Americans were resolutely refusing to adopt `Phidomageireion' to refer to the then-new-fangled gas stove (which device the OED tells us was not a `cooker' in British English until decades later).

`Griddle' is arrives via Norman English ca the 12th Century, and originally referred to a small gridiron, and is from whence we get `grill', the two being used more or less interchangeably through the 17th Century. Which was about the time a `salamander' was coming to mean an overhead broiler instead of a long-handled cast iron implement placed in a fire until red-hot and then pressed onto the top surface of grilling food...itself a reference to an earlier usage in which any red-hot iron implement used for searing anything, e.g. the apostate, was a `salamander'.

I've found a useful rule of thumb, though possibly utterly incorrect, that when there's an American term vs a British term, the American term is likely to be the older.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

SubG posted:

I like this. I like you. Thank you for dropping a wisdom poo poo on my head. I genuinely find this interesting.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

If you are interested in this sort of thing I recommend The Language Of Food by Jurafsky - it talks extensively about how English got its food words (why do we say beef for the food and cow for the animal when few other languages make that distinction, why do we say entrée for main course when it actually means appetizer in French, what's the deal with lunch/dinner/supper, etc) and it's super fascinating.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Food etymology in general fascinates me, especially with the parallels and contrasts I see between the different languages I know.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
I got one of those little wok rings for my gas stove. It's not gonna gently caress up the finish too bad is it?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Assuming it's an enamel stove, enamel is pretty sturdy and I've only been able to scratch it with tons of rubbing with steel wool.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I’m doing Kenji’s pork belly buns and after Sous Viding, it calls for 3 min in the broiler on high. (On foil).

My question: should I broil it laying on the fat side or the meat side? Never done pork belly before...

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Skin side up, definitely.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

ExecuDork posted:

This is really interesting to me. Can you recommend a book or something about the history of ways to cook food?
If you want something serious/scholarly and only want a single recommendation, then The Cambridge World History of Food. It's a couple thousand pages in two volumes. It's not a narrative history, which is what most non-history wonks think of when they think of history books. It's a collection of essays by many authors on various subjects related to food history rather than a single continuous story. It's also a little over-dense if you just want to browse for cool food facts or whatever.

The Oxford Companion to Food is a single volume and is written in a much more conversational style---there's a whole series of Oxford Companions to various subjects, and the whole schtick is that the author's personal opinions and prejudices come through---it's like asking an irascible Oxford don about their favourite subject rather than a neutral reference work. Which can have its ups and downs. On the subject we were just discussing the Oxford Companion to Food doesn't have a separate entry for broiling or broilers, and the index just instructs us to refer to grilling, itself more or less a single paragraph. Griddles, on the other hand, get about half a page, much of which is devoted to Scottish griddles---apparently known as girdles---and Welsh griddle cooking. Which is, you know, cool, but may not constitute an adequate discussion of the subject if you're looking for more general history. This is not to be confused with The Oxford Handbook of Food History, which is more like The Cambridge World History of Food---a collection of scholarly articles---but is substantially shorter.

Somewhere between The Cambridge World History of Food and The Oxford Companion to Food are things like Flandrin's Food: A Culinary History and Laudan's Cuisine and Empire, both of which are more focused on the development of individual food cultures throughout history. They are also not narrative histories and are scholarly works, but they're not as dense as the Cambridge. Still not exactly aimed at a lay audience, though.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
SubG are you actually Dave Arnold?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Dave Arnold is a lot less of an rear end in a top hat.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

SubG posted:

Cambridge vs. Oxford: Food Fight
Awesome! Thank you very much!

The way I read for fun these days is well aligned with a big collection of essays (non-fiction) or short stories (fiction), I tend to pick up my current book at irregular intervals and read for less than an hour at a time. On-topic: sometimes I read while cooking (that's what "stirring occassionally" means, right?).

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to make shepherds pie for 8 people using shredded beef. The recipes all seem to call for tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce. Would there be any suitable alternatives to using tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce?

I'll still use them if I have to, I'm just not too big a fan of either.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

RandomPauI posted:

I'm going to make shepherds pie for 8 people using shredded beef. The recipes all seem to call for tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce. Would there be any suitable alternatives to using tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce?

I made shepherds pie (ground beef) last week and the recipe didn't call for any tomato products at all. There was Worcestershire sauce, but if you don't like it I don't think it's going to ruin the pie if you leave it out.

Shepherds pie is basically a throw-what-you-like-in stew topped with mashed potatoes, go hog wild with it.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

RandomPauI posted:

Use anchovy paste and add/or some gelatin packets to a couple cups of the liquid you use for gravy for a similar umami effect.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

They both provide umami and I can't imagine a shepherds pie without either

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'll try the gelatine route, thanks for the tip.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
For the first time, I'm looking to make a meat sauce for pasta from scratch. I tried looking up some ideas, but they all seem to involve mixing meats, while I've always liked a beef-only sauce. (Honestly I would ask my mom for the recipe from my childhood, but she's currently out of the country, so a little hard to contact)
Anyone have any recommendations for a simple meat sauce that can be made with just beef as the meat?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

For the first time, I'm looking to make a meat sauce for pasta from scratch. I tried looking up some ideas, but they all seem to involve mixing meats, while I've always liked a beef-only sauce. (Honestly I would ask my mom for the recipe from my childhood, but she's currently out of the country, so a little hard to contact)
Anyone have any recommendations for a simple meat sauce that can be made with just beef as the meat?

Just take a multi meat sauce recipe and use beef, it should work fine. My preferred method is to cook the beef while breaking it up into small pieces, add some tomato paste and cook until you start to get a fond on the bottom of the pot and then add some chicken stock to deglaze, next add some tomato sauce and cook it until it gets really thick and starts to build up a fond again, deglaze with more stock and keep repeating this about three times in total. This method takes a long time but gets you a really nice sauce with very tender meat. Other optional ingredients are Italian herbs, grated parmesan, red chili flakes and red or white wine in place of the stock during the first deglazing. Salt and pepper to your taste.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

RandomPauI posted:

A Shepherds pie is made from lamb. The clue is in the name.
What you are making is a Cottage pie.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Helith posted:

A Shepherds pie is made from lamb. The clue is in the name.
What you are making is a Cottage pie.

In today’s parlance, no.

Shepherd's pie or cottage pie is a meat pie with a crust of mashed potato. The recipe can vary widely. Wikipedia

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Feenix posted:

In today’s parlance, no.

Shepherd's pie or cottage pie is a meat pie with a crust of mashed potato. The recipe can vary widely. Wikipedia

Yes, and Shepherds pie is made with lamb and cottage pie is made from beef. Also in the wiki article on Shepherds pie.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Just take a multi meat sauce recipe and use beef, it should work fine. My preferred method is to cook the beef while breaking it up into small pieces, add some tomato paste and cook until you start to get a fond on the bottom of the pot and then add some chicken stock to deglaze, next add some tomato sauce and cook it until it gets really thick and starts to build up a fond again, deglaze with more stock and keep repeating this about three times in total. This method takes a long time but gets you a really nice sauce with very tender meat. Other optional ingredients are Italian herbs, grated parmesan, red chili flakes and red or white wine in place of the stock during the first deglazing. Salt and pepper to your taste.

Ooh, I like this idea. Plus, I already have everything in my kitchen, so no shopping.
Thanks! :D

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

I'm trying to figure out some recipes that would work well for two other people. One is eating vegetarian, but does not like most vegetables and the other is doing a low carb diet, and usually likes to have meat at dinner. I've made ratatouille with pork chops and pasta, an eggplant ragout with polenta and sausages, stir fried vegetables and tofu with meat and rice on the side, and those went over well, and I'm looking for some similar vegetable main dishes that can pair well with a meat or a starch depending on who is eating it. Any ideas?

We've also been doing stuff that can be easily made separately or divided into sections (quesadillas, pizza, omelettes, wraps, lasagna divided into three sections, etc) and if anyone has something like that that I might not have thought of, I'd be glad to hear those too.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

razorscooter posted:

One is eating vegetarian, but does not like most vegetables

lmfao just give up being vegetarian at that pount

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

razorscooter posted:

One is eating vegetarian, but does not like most vegetables

What exactly do they eat then?

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

spankmeister posted:

lmfao just give up being vegetarian at that pount

yes i know exactly how that looks when you read it

Down With People posted:

What exactly do they eat then?

Probably should have started with that. It's like a fifty fifty split, she's okay with some vegetables, like zucchini, yellow squash, canned tomatoes, eggplant, fresh spinach, fairly plain salads etc but other stuff, like fresh tomatoes, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, peas, collard greens, brussel sprouts it's a hard no, will not eat them. Also, she's not doing low carb things so she's cool with lentils and grains and potatoes and whatnot.

razorscooter fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Mar 31, 2018

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
I'm trying to make pastrami without a smoker. I bought a 4 pound cut of brisket, the point I think. It's thin and long with a thick layer of fat on one side and a thin layer on the other.

I'll use a brine from a Serious Eats recipe (Salt, brown sugar, pepper, coriander, garlic, allspice for four days). And a cooking method from Food Wishes (wrap in many layers of foil and slow roast in the oven). As long as it's tastier than cheap deli pastrami, I'm happy.

A few questions:

The brine recipe calls for "Morton Tender Quick." Can I just use kosher salt instead?
Will an pressure cooker, slow cooker, or Dutch oven (instead of foil) give me better results?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Bagheera posted:

The brine recipe calls for "Morton Tender Quick." Can I just use kosher salt instead?

No, Morton Tender Quick contains sodium chloride, sugar, sodium nitrate and sodium nitrite to give the pastrami its texture and pink hue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
I'm supposed to be cooking lentils with sausages at a friend's. They got the lentils, but got me brown lentils instead of puy (French) lentils.

From past experience brown lentils don't hold their shape as puy lentils do. Is there anything I can do differently to make them hold?

In a Dutch oven put:
1.5 cups lentils, rinsed (not soaked)
3 cups water
Bouquet garni (thyme, laurel, rosemary)
Onion with 3 cloves
Garlic
Salt
Peppercorns
Sausages

Bring to a simmer, cover and cook ~45 min for French lentils, the brown lentil bag says 30min.

rgocs fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 31, 2018