Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He’s being kept alive by sacrificing psykers if I understood the scene correctly

Teatd 2 story

Not contradicting just making sure I understood the story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yah, that's right. They're even doing that in the current timeline as well. It's more of a power boost than anything else.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
An abominable intelligence could be connected to the throne and handle the stresses with enough liquid cooling with blood.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

euphronius posted:

He’s being kept alive by sacrificing psykers if I understood the scene correctly

Teatd 2 story

Not contradicting just making sure I understood the story

Ah, yeah that makes sense. As of the end of EatD2 Malcador is still "alive," in the sense that time doesn't work and the instant of his death is getting stretched to infinity. But he's still an invisible guiding hand, working through his agents.

It'll be interesting to see how and if that changes in book 3!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Have they ever explained where the throne came from? From what I remember they've described it being an alien artifact the Emperor found? Was it on Terra? Somewhere else? Or was it just built?

They could have Trazyn just show up and take it if they want an easy way to move the story along, I guess.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

A dash of war-in-heaven era tech, a splash of eldar craft and a sprinkle of the Emp's and the Mechanicum's own work, right? I can't actually figure out where I might've got the war-in-heaven idea from right now, so it's possible I'm totally misremembering something. It was found on Terra in the first place, according to big E and lil' M, but we know nothing about whether it was crafted there or how it got there.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I've been catching up on Chis Wraight and it has been excellent. Hollow Mountain, Dark City, Sea of Souls then I'm on Regent's Shadow now. For the three of them its been weird going back in time though. For a bit I was like "wow whats happening on Terra" then after a bit I remembered these books helped kick off the current status quo. I think I just have Lords of Silence and 1-2 of his space wolf novels to go.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Black Griffon posted:

A dash of war-in-heaven era tech, a splash of eldar craft and a sprinkle of the Emp's and the Mechanicum's own work, right? I can't actually figure out where I might've got the war-in-heaven idea from right now, so it's possible I'm totally misremembering something. It was found on Terra in the first place, according to big E and lil' M, but we know nothing about whether it was crafted there or how it got there.

It’s a very old piece of archaeotech buried on earth and nobody knows exactly who made it

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

The basics of it. Big E also bolted on xenos tech (specifically Eldar) and a good dose of his own tinkering. Nobody on terra really understands what the Throne is it what it is meant to do and while he had a clear idea of what he wanted it to do, it's highly likely even the Emperor didn't actually really know what it does.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Malcador also describes it in a way that suggests it might be sentient in one form or another, though that could just be hyperbolic metaphor

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Philthy posted:

Have they ever explained where the throne came from? From what I remember they've described it being an alien artifact the Emperor found? Was it on Terra? Somewhere else? Or was it just built?

They could have Trazyn just show up and take it if they want an easy way to move the story along, I guess.

Read the white scars books in the heresy series if you haven’t.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

0konner posted:

Read the white scars books in the heresy series if you haven’t.

Outside of Warhawk, I have not. I'll keep an eye out, though.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Since the throne is directly “above” a webway portal my assumption is that it is a really old Old One artifact that they used to do warp stuff back in the day. Maybe it was even used to seed the Earth with life 4 billion years ago or whatever

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

It's strongly suggested that Alexander the Great was either a puppet of Emps or one of Emps' many identities, and that the Throne was recovered from Persepolis before it was destroyed by fire -- presumably, to erase whatever remained of the secrets there.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

euphronius posted:

Since the throne is directly “above” a webway portal my assumption is that it is a really old Old One artifact that they used to do warp stuff back in the day. Maybe it was even used to seed the Earth with life 4 billion years ago or whatever

That and it's got a whole vacant/abandoned webway zone where they were setting up the staging area for traveling between all the imperial worlds without warp travel.

The bits in Master of Mankind where Eldar were sealing their entrances to the webway because of the huge demonic incursion* was neat.

Thanks, Magnus.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

I was hoping that would take me to a 40K shitposting thread I didn't know about, instead it took me to a Simpsons thread :saddumb:

(Is there a 40K shitposting thread? I'm jonesing for some)

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Has there been any lore put to paper of Guilliman meeting back up with The Lion yet? Any books announced?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Kylaer posted:

I was hoping that would take me to a 40K shitposting thread I didn't know about, instead it took me to a Simpsons thread :saddumb:

(Is there a 40K shitposting thread? I'm jonesing for some)

There's always the SLAM SECTOR

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Philthy posted:

Has there been any lore put to paper of Guilliman meeting back up with The Lion yet? Any books announced?

Not yet but that's not surprising, Guilliman is mostly operating in Imperium Sanctus and has a fuckton on his plate while the Lion is ping ponging around Imperium Nihilus trying to put out every fire he comes across in a sea of fire.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
The Lion book ends with him receiving an envoy from the Blood Angels headed up by Dante himself, who was sent by Guilliman to acknowledge and support the Lion and his dark angels/fallen/risen/whatever force, so they're definitely aware of each other and to some degree working towards the same goal (Saving humanity).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbj_bR0VONw

Chris is back with part 3 of the best Black Library quotes.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

von Metternich posted:

Angron's is quite good in my opinion. The main characters are KHARN, and a group of old World Eaters/War Hounds who don't like the way the Legion has been going, and are trying to stop the experiments with the Butcher's Nails, with some flashbacks to Angron's time in the gladiator pits.

This brings me to my point-I've written here before about how I want to see more atheists, heretics who aren't genestealers, and traitors-who-aren't-Chaos in BL books. After rereading the Dark Imperium trilogy, I have another character type to add: Unhappy Space Marines.

There's s plot thread in books 2 and 3 of that series about a Primaris who really wanted to be an Ultramarine but ended up being assigned to the Novamarines instead. Maybe he didn't get enough extracurriculars or his Space Marine SAT wasn't high enough, they don't say.

I think in Modern 40k, that Marine basically wouldn't exist without the Unnumbered Sons. Most Chapters have their own rites and practices that work to ensure that the Marine is a part of the Chapter as a whole. I think one thing that we forget as fans is that most of the Aspirants have only ever seen their own chapter as Marines. If you grow up on Rynn's World, you'll only ever have a chance to join the Crimson Fists, and those who don't become part of the Chapter proper, are still dedicated to it as servants. The fact that character was A) one of the Unnumbered Sons and B) was held in cold storage for 10000 years meant that he didn't have that original indoctrination that made him want to be a Novamarine in the first place.

Also RE: Emperor on the Throne. There was that interview a few years ago with Abnett by Ars Technica(?) Where he brought up the idea that the Emp might be trying to regenerate but the throne keeps damaging him so he can't fully heal. It was also the interview where Abnett stated that the Emperor had made the decision to undergo apotheosis and become the God-Emperor of ManKind rather than stick to the Imperial Truth because he felt that was the only way to properly fight against Chaos.

Finally, Guymer was the person who (to me) really got that Stormcast Eternals are not "Space Marines of Sigmar". Hamilcar: Champion of the Gods is written with the main character as a boastful, prideful warrior who is having fun running around and fighting people. Most other Stormcast novels have the Stormcasts effectively be written in the Marine mold, where they're a bunch of sullen warrior Monks who take no pleasure in anything but bringing about the death of their enemies. Hamilcar's introduction is that he literally jumps over a river, just so that he can say he was the first of Sigmar's Chosen to enter enemy territory... meanwhile his underlings roll their collective eyes at his antics and he's stuck solo for a few hours because they don't have bridges set up yet.

I know a few of you are wondering why I'm talking about Age of Sigmar, and the answer is that the author of Hamilcar is the one who wrote Angron. I need to read more of his stuff but he seems like a good author to watch.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I need to read more AoS books I'm very interested in where they're taking the setting and the Soul bound RPG makes me wish I could find a group to try it

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

hopterque posted:

The Lion book ends with him receiving an envoy from the Blood Angels headed up by Dante himself, who was sent by Guilliman to acknowledge and support the Lion and his dark angels/fallen/risen/whatever force, so they're definitely aware of each other and to some degree working towards the same goal (Saving humanity).

I don't think Guilliman had specifically sent him at that point, he'd just appointed Dante to watch over Nihilihus & went back to Sanctus and then Dante heard about the Lion's return and went to investigate personally. I'm sure that word has reached Gulliman by the end of Arks of Omen, at least.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Abnetts opinion on the throne you mentioned is maybe foreshadowed in teatd2 when the one psyker perpetual is crushed under rocks and keeps coming back to life and dying again

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

euphronius posted:

Abnetts opinion on the throne you mentioned is maybe foreshadowed in teatd2 when the one psyker perpetual is crushed under rocks and keeps coming back to life and dying again

That’s such a great scene. Really captures the horror of being able to be hurt, and to suffer, even killed, but being unable to stay dead. Immortality can absolutely be a horrific curse, too.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
So I'm working through Echoes of Eternity and man ADB can write some grimy-feeling hopeless poo poo. 40k novels aren't the type to evoke anything more than the metaphorical manly tear from me, but the chapter with Arkhan Land retreating towards the Sanctum and the final bit of the chapter got me good.
Keeble sells it big time too. Had to pause my listen after that poo poo.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

The best bit of EoE is checking in on what's up with the best Titan Legion, Legio Audax.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

euphronius posted:

Yeah, it works out something like "I should be able to dig myself out in 10 years or so, but the world is going to end before then."

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

wiegieman posted:

Yeah, it works out something like "I should be able to dig myself out in 10 years or so, but the world is going to end before then."

What happens if they just pave and build over the area without clearing everything and they’re still under there?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

MariusLecter posted:

What happens if they just pave and build over the area without clearing everything and they’re still under there?

Add another hundred years then, give or take

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

wiegieman posted:

My memory is goddawful considering I only reay the book a few weeks ago, but didn't Dorn find her while he was escaping through the wall?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

End 2 was alright. A lot of the stuff in the beginning, detailing how loyalists are getting owned and the palace is falling felt pretty repetitive. Been reading about the unending traitor hordes killing everybody for years like I get it, especially since a lot of it was basically the same as End 1. Once the space-time folding gets going it gets more interesting. Does a good job of showing just how bad things on Terra are. Too many perspectives though imo, even if a lot of them only last a chapter or two.

The Dark King being the Emperor was neat but honestly he didn't do anything and then Oll called him a punk and he was like 'oh yeah, fair point' and gave up. Maybe it will come back again in book three but felt like a fairly weak arc all in all.

I did really enjoy Ahriman showing up to get a peek at all the cool books before everything went to poo poo

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

LegionAreI posted:

So I'm working through Echoes of Eternity and man ADB can write some grimy-feeling hopeless poo poo. 40k novels aren't the type to evoke anything more than the metaphorical manly tear from me, but the chapter with Arkhan Land retreating towards the Sanctum and the final bit of the chapter got me good.
Keeble sells it big time too. Had to pause my listen after that poo poo.

I recall that ADB was (or still is? Hopefully he's getting better) dealing with severe depression of his own, so I have to think that's likely an influence on his writing style :smith:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

DaysBefore posted:

End 2 was alright. A lot of the stuff in the beginning, detailing how loyalists are getting owned and the palace is falling felt pretty repetitive. Been reading about the unending traitor hordes killing everybody for years like I get it, especially since a lot of it was basically the same as End 1. Once the space-time folding gets going it gets more interesting. Does a good job of showing just how bad things on Terra are. Too many perspectives though imo, even if a lot of them only last a chapter or two.

The Dark King being the Emperor was neat but honestly he didn't do anything and then Oll called him a punk and he was like 'oh yeah, fair point' and gave up. Maybe it will come back again in book three but felt like a fairly weak arc all in all.

I did really enjoy Ahriman showing up to get a peek at all the cool books before everything went to poo poo

I think the purpose of the Dark King is basically this: The Emperor is a dumbass who's always taking the shortest path to whatever goal he's set out for, and it constantly bites him in the rear end which is what Oli is calling him on. There's a lot of character growth for the Emperor in both volumes so far in that it's acknowledged by Malcador that the primarchs were only ever meant to die for him if necessary and were just tools, but Sanguinius in particular is robbing him of that notion and he's starting to see all his sons in this new light and as potential equals.

Him shedding the Dark King aspect is as much about the Emperor's own growth and his switch to a much longer term plan which I think is what we've seen across the 10 millennia of awful lovely history. I think it's also likely that the Star Child is actively engaged in the galaxy at large and I think Abnett has used this with Saint Sabbat who is a very compassionate person and I think the reason for this is that it's the Star Child aspect of the Emperor that she's channeling. Compare this to say, the Martyrs Tomb, where every religious fanatic is mega Hitler and I think that's the guy on the throne right now.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Dog_Meat posted:

My memory is goddawful considering I only reay the book a few weeks ago, but didn't Dorn find her while he was escaping through the wall?

Yes.

Crab Battle
Jan 16, 2010

Haha! Yeah!
TEATD 2:

I would be surprised (and a bit disappointed) if that was the last we heard of the Dark King stuff. I know Abnett has a reputation for abrupt endings, but so far that whole storyline seems to be a bit pointless. Just gotta be a few more twists in that story before we get to the 10k years on the Throne.
I'm also hoping that there's literally anything in store for Oll and the 'long companions'. They all seemed to die without really doing anything - Katt was built up as a mystery, but just acted as a check for Actae/Cyrene? I did get a laugh out of the servitor hitting Erebus with a storage container.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Crab Battle posted:

TEATD 2:

I would be surprised (and a bit disappointed) if that was the last we heard of the Dark King stuff. I know Abnett has a reputation for abrupt endings, but so far that whole storyline seems to be a bit pointless. Just gotta be a few more twists in that story before we get to the 10k years on the Throne.
I'm also hoping that there's literally anything in store for Oll and the 'long companions'. They all seemed to die without really doing anything - Katt was built up as a mystery, but just acted as a check for Actae/Cyrene? I did get a laugh out of the servitor hitting Erebus with a storage container.

I'm still annoyed that ruled out my own personal theory about who really kills Horus.

'Leave. Him. To. Me. Trooper Perrson' :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Turns out that servitor was also a Perpetual, he's going to turn up, kill Horus, kill the Emperor, then be enshrined on the golden throne