Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Would you get bionic implants or limb replacements? Discuss.

I use glasses and a phone. The nice thing about these kinds of technological augmentations is that I can replace them easily e.g. if they break or get suborned by a cyberattack. Imagine your bio-eye augments getting owned and showing you advertisements 24/7 even when your eyes are closed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I use glasses and a phone. The nice thing about these kinds of technological augmentations is that I can replace them easily e.g. if they break or get suborned by a cyberattack. Imagine your bio-eye augments getting owned and showing you advertisements 24/7 even when your eyes are closed.

The whole Cyber anything sounds terrifying, You ever see the Ghost in the Shell movie. Opening scene shows what happens when someone can take over your eyes and access your brain

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

your pacemaker has been turned into a bitcoin miner

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Stexils posted:

your pacemaker has been turned into a bitcoin miner

Crank But Crypto

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Your pacemaker is hardwired to be a bitcoin miner and it was a quarter the price of one that isn't.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Your pacemaker wasn't hardwired to be a cryptominer, but the manufacturer got bought out and the new owners released updated firmware. So now it is.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Your cyberarm suddenly twitches and rips open your belly with a force designed to carry quarter-ton loads. You feel your own blood and poo poo drain from your body but your cybereyes automatically pixelate it. A Filipino gig worker will suffer PTSD from having to scrub the footage, ostensibly for offensive visuals but of course also destroying any evidence for a lawsuit. The last thing you see in this world is a superimposed "Oops! Something went wrong."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Cybercompany sues your widow for financial damages through loss of one of their bitcoin miners

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

Your cyberarm suddenly twitches and rips open your belly with a force designed to carry quarter-ton loads. You feel your own blood and poo poo drain from your body but your cybereyes automatically pixelate it. A Filipino gig worker will suffer PTSD from having to scrub the footage, ostensibly for offensive visuals but of course also destroying any evidence for a lawsuit. The last thing you see in this world is a superimposed "Oops! Something went wrong."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-3BelzM0YM

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

The last thing you see in this world is a superimposed "Oops! Something went wrong."

Now that is cyberpunk :eyepop:

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
We regret to inform you that as your account balance is in defecit, your eyes have been switched to an ad-supported model.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Whybird posted:

We regret to inform you that as your account balance is in defecit, your eyes have been switched to an ad-supported model.

The company that makes your eyes has been purchased, the new firmware version requires an always-on connection to send data back home for... purposes. Your eyes will now automatically shut down when they lose connection.

They also now have a tiered subscription plan, and "free" just gets you 480p resolution and no depth perception.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Wait a minute, this isn't the cyberpunk dystopia thread!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Kitfox88 posted:

Every thread is cyberpunk dystopia thread in hell world.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Kitfox88 posted:

"You best start believing in cyberpunk dystopia threads, Kitfox88...." *walks into the neon light, revealing that I am a cool chrome skeleton* "you're in one!"

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

ElBrak posted:

"You best start believing in cyberpunk dystopia threads, Kitfox88...." *walks into the neon light, revealing that I am a cool chrome skeleton* "you're in one!"

This would be a favorite little thing in a game, ngl

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
People willingly replacing their functioning limbs with robot parts was the dumbest thing about the new DeusExii and modern cyberpunk in general.

The original Deus Ex takes place AFTER and only spec ops military have any kind of augs. Makes sense. But for 99.9 percent of population it makes no sense from any practical standpoint. The whole genre was overtaken by this specific look and it's become cargo culty.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Vic posted:

People willingly replacing their functioning limbs with robot parts was the dumbest thing about the new DeusExii and modern cyberpunk in general.

The original Deus Ex takes place AFTER and only spec ops military have any kind of augs. Makes sense. But for 99.9 percent of population it makes no sense from any practical standpoint. The whole genre was overtaken by this specific look and it's become cargo culty.

Actually I think Human Revolution did really well at both setting up how augs become so 'willingly' widespread, and it's because 'willingly' actually has MASSIVE goddamn air-quotes around it.

Imagine that you're a manual laborer, and limb augmentations that increase strength become a consumer-available thing. Suddenly, your regular old human body is being outclassed; someone can literally buy their way into being stronger than you, and then you have to compete against that. And that's happening all over the place; IT workers competing against people that can interface directly with computers, cab drivers now have to grapple with the fact their bosses prefer people with the Google Maps eye upgrade, the CASIE social augmentation becomes near-mandatory for anybody in an occupation that requires face-to-face communication. You know all those job applications that demand 3+ years experience in a similar role? They now also demand a related augment. In that environment? Negative consequences of augments be damned, anyone with the money to throw down for them (or the contacts to get cheap ones) are gonna have to face that question, and a lot of them are going to say 'yes', because their livelihoods depend on it.

The consumer market for augmentations collapses due to the events of Human Revolution; I haven't played Mankind Divided, but by the original Deus Ex they're only in military hands because at that point the military are the only sector willing to invest. It's also why all of the original Deus Ex's augmentations are way uglier than HR's; it stopped being something you sell to individual private consumers, and started being something you sell to big, practicality-minded organizations. Basically, the difference between an iPhone and a rugged Android tablet you sell at enterprise scale.

I won't argue that things have become cargo culted pretty hard here, and there's a lot of media that does it because Thing Cool rather than for a specific point (see: Cyberpunk 2077). But I feel like rather than being one of that wave of cargo cultists, Human Revolution was one of the guys with an actual point that everyone else in the industry missed because 'wow cool robot limbs'.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 10:57 on Jul 9, 2021

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Whybird posted:

There's that Jude Law movie, Repo Men, where they've perfected artificial organ replacement but if you fall behind on payments guys come and rip the organs from your body.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Cleretic posted:

Actually I think Human Revolution did really well at both setting up how augs become so 'willingly' widespread, and it's because 'willingly' actually has MASSIVE goddamn air-quotes around it.

Imagine that you're a manual laborer, and limb augmentations that increase strength become a consumer-available thing. Suddenly, your regular old human body is being outclassed; someone can literally buy their way into being stronger than you, and then you have to compete against that. And that's happening all over the place; IT workers competing against people that can interface directly with computers, cab drivers now have to grapple with the fact their bosses prefer people with the Google Maps eye upgrade, the CASIE social augmentation becomes near-mandatory for anybody in an occupation that requires face-to-face communication. You know all those job applications that demand 3+ years experience in a similar role? They now also demand a related augment. In that environment? Negative consequences of augments be damned, anyone with the money to throw down for them (or the contacts to get cheap ones) are gonna have to face that question, and a lot of them are going to say 'yes', because their livelihoods depend on it.
Manual laborers - How does a limb aug tech not translate to just a simple exoskeleton that exists today? Aug legs are all downsides for this use. Also manual labor jobs being highly sought after in the future? Why not just straight up drones?
IT workers - Allowing for the proposed 80s sci-fi magic here, interfacing with the computer via brain directly doesn't require any mod on your part. You already have a brain, the computer needs a brainwave interface.
CASIE social mod - put it into google glasses? The whole concept is funny because you need social skills in the first place to use the info in anyway, and you can put pheromones in a spray bottle.

The point is all this tech would work perfectly fine outside your body UNLESS the point is to conceal it in your body like secret agent JC Denton. Or for people who lost their limbs in the first place.

Not to mention superstrong limbs attached to your meatbody is a silly concept. Hit something real hard and the opposite force tears your arms off.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Vic posted:

Per the storyline DXHR was the golden age of cybernetics as fashion and everyone getting bits chopped off, then someone hacks everyone that has cybernetics and people say "you know what, this was a stupid idea" and stop getting implants unless they really need it. Then someone says "what if... nanomachines? Cybernetics-as-a-service!" and we get original-DX.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vic posted:

CASIE social mod - put it into google glasses? The whole concept is funny because you need social skills in the first place to use the info in anyway, and you can put pheromones in a spray bottle.

The point is all this tech would work perfectly fine outside your body UNLESS the point is to conceal it in your body like secret agent JC Denton. Or for people who lost their limbs in the first place.

Because a social manipulator shouldn't show they're manipulating the person they're talking to.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

There's that Jude Law movie, Repo Men, where they've perfected artificial organ replacement but if you fall behind on payments guys come and rip the organs from your body.

There's also Repo A Genetic Opera, where they even have multiple songs about Organ Reposession.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A later part in Digimon Cyber Sleuth once the plot kicks in has various interesting arcs for NPCs and sometime enemies, with the hackers and those connected to the main plot having their obvious and sometimes cliched roles. But probably the most interesting to me is the goofy comic relief friend, who actually remains relevant and useful throughout the game. And she doesn't pull out any sudden talents or become an expert in hacking or Digimon overnight, but she simply ends up getting powerful and useful friends, and even being a leader, simply because she's likeable, friendly, passionate and caring, and she's able to get people to want to help her and follow her while she helps the protagonist and others.

I suppose it might stand out because that's usually a protagonist trait, though Cyber Sleuth has a near-non-entity protagonist even moreso than most JRPGs.

Ghost Leviathan has a new favorite as of 12:02 on Jul 9, 2021

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

People getting artificial limbs doesn't need to be socially and economically plausible in the strictest sense, because at its core it's a metaphor for humans becoming commodities secondary to the technology. In fiction companies need heavy lifter machines and it's more profitable to install them as a limb on a worker bio-platform than build a whole robot. In reality amazon et al need executive drones for the AIs' optimal routes and steps and it's more profitable to make a human execute the steps than build a drone army. Not just profitable in terms of pure cost of robots vs. wages paid but also being able to present your company as an essential job creator, probably taxes etc.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Because a social manipulator shouldn't show they're manipulating the person they're talking to.

It's just a gameplay mechanic.

In real world no amount of augs will make a sweaty neckbeard more charming, a better liar or more intimidating because they can see a person's pulse and horoscope in a popup. You cannot aug social skills.

But I 100% believe people would put PUA apps into their eyeballs IRL

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

My Lovely Horse posted:

People getting artificial limbs doesn't need to be socially and economically plausible in the strictest sense, because at its core it's a metaphor for humans becoming commodities secondary to the technology. In fiction companies need heavy lifter machines and it's more profitable to install them as a limb on a worker bio-platform than build a whole robot. In reality amazon et al need executive drones for the AIs' optimal routes and steps and it's more profitable to make a human execute the steps than build a drone army. Not just profitable in terms of pure cost of robots vs. wages paid but also being able to present your company as an essential job creator, probably taxes etc.

Yeah, Horse is getting the idea here. The idea isn't them saying 'this could literally happen', it's setting up a metaphor that feels believable and relatable. And they do, unless you get caught up in pedantries.

It doesn't matter that augmented limbs to lift better has some 'well actually' arguments about it. It matters that they seem plausible. And given what we know about modern corporations? We don't even need to answer every single problem with some perfect technobabble answer; they'll accept a guy with super-arms being unable to use them to their fullest without a similarly augmented spine, because if the guy rips his body apart on the job, they can blame the guy.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Augmentation is a powerful metaphor for exploring how bullshit it is that retail jobs make you pay for your uniform shirt even though it has no purpose to you outside of the context of that job.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Plausibility is the whole point. It's implausible to use the tech in that way unless there was a good reason to do so.

Like if there was an epidemic that made people lose their limbs and the greedy corps made them dependent on the augs, bam, done I buy it.

People cutting their legs off so they can lift boxes is dumb.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

But it's not actually about missing limbs or lifting boxes, or about solving an external problem like the limb disease. It's about technology and corporate structure subjecting human beings.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vic posted:

Plausibility is the whole point. It's implausible to use the tech in that way unless there was a good reason to do so.

Like if there was an epidemic that made people lose their limbs and the greedy corps made them dependent on the augs, bam, done I buy it.

People cutting their legs off so they can lift boxes is dumb.

Dumber than sending people back to work in a shared office in a pandemic when they can comfortably work at home with no net loss to productivity?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Dumber than sending people back to work in a shared office in a pandemic when they can comfortably work at home with no net loss to productivity?

It would be as if the people wanted to go work in shared office during the pandemic for no reason. Or not want to get vaccinated...

Oh

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Tehan posted:

Augmentation is a powerful metaphor for exploring how bullshit it is that retail jobs make you pay for your uniform shirt even though it has no purpose to you outside of the context of that job.

They also make you give them back

And no gently caress you there's no refund

Neddy Seagoon posted:

my shared office didn't even try and go wfh. They just sent out a letter saying we're essential keep coming to work

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IIRC there's a whole thing in DEHR where a lot of people with cybernetic parts were former soldiers. There was a thing where if you were a soldier injured before augments became commonplace you could reenlist and get free augs.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Playing Night in the Woods and the game does a fun thing with the dialogue options when the main character gets drunk:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
On a related note, I appreciate that Bea is drawn in profile even when she's driving.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Tehan posted:

Wtf is this poo poo? Is this something that's actually common in the US? Because it's loving awful.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Hel posted:

Wtf is this poo poo? Is this something that's actually common in the US? Because it's loving awful.

Yes unfortunately.

You can deduct it as a "work uniform expense" on your taxes, but only if it is "unsuitable" for everyday wear. ie: nurse scrubs or prominently displayed employer logo. If your company enforces a policy of bright orange polo shirts with no logo, you're poo poo out of luck it's not deductible.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Hel posted:

One thousand years ago when I was working in the pizza mines, we were required to wear non-slip shoes. I was a college freshman and could barely afford to feed myself $1 value meals, let alone afford $40 shoes. Out of kindness, my manager bought the shoes for me. She was let go by the end of the month because someone had caught wind of it and now everyone was demanding to get compensated for their shoes. And then they deducted the cost of the shoes from my next paycheck, even though I'm fairly certain she had paid for them out of her own pocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

PremiumSupport posted:

Yes unfortunately.

You can deduct it as a "work uniform expense" on your taxes, but only if it is "unsuitable" for everyday wear. ie: nurse scrubs or prominently displayed employer logo. If your company enforces a policy of bright orange polo shirts with no logo, you're poo poo out of luck it's not deductible.

It also doesn't matter for dick since the standard deduction got upped to the point that anyone working a job with that sort of uniform isn't going to be able to do enough to make that deduction "count" more than the standard one.