Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

eddiewalker posted:

Checking the oil whenever you get gas is a good habit when youre driving an old car. Theyve even got paper towels to wipe with.

Yeah if you used up enough oil to cause those issues, you need to be checking it more than monthly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Unless you fill up less than once a month :v:

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
If youre losing all your oil sitting still for a month, youve got bigger problems :v:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Is there any concern topping off my oil while the engine is still hot? The reasonable part of my brain says "no", but part of me imagines putting cold water in a hot glass and watching it crack due to thermal shock.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Not if you dont keep your oil in the fridge

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'd bet even if you did it wouldn't be an issue. There's just not enough thermal mass in a quart of oil compared to an engine.

The only times temperature matters when checking/adding a fluid is either when there's enough variation in volume with temperature that "hot" and "cold" levels are significantly different, or when a system can't be safely opened while hot (your pressurized radiator).

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

neogeo0823 posted:

Thankfully, when I went to start the car just now, the check engine light turned off on its own.

I'd still checkout that coolant level. Hopefully it was just the thermostat or something that one time; but the coolant temperature sensor can't get a reading off hot air so if the coolant gets low it can trigger P0128

As always you check the coolant when the car is cold

eddiewalker posted:

If youre losing all your oil sitting still for a month, youve got bigger problems :v:

And yeah watch that oil level. Hopefully the shop was the fuckup on filling back to capacity

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Safety Dance posted:

Is there any concern topping off my oil while the engine is still hot? The reasonable part of my brain says "no", but part of me imagines putting cold water in a hot glass and watching it crack due to thermal shock.

No, and thats how you have to do it on Audis with an electronic dipstick (infotainment displays the level). It updates in real-time and only functions if the engine is fully warm (when dumbed down thermometer is in middle), while you have the cap off and pour some in.

Mine eats a bit so I fill up a bottle when it gets to min, which in the infotainment display is after it eats 1 quart from full.

You can also get a sense of how healthy things are looking in there with a flashlight while everything is nice and steamy. Ive always wanted to open the cap while running to see the engine working but I think it will splatter a ton of oil and throw a vacuum code, and maybe damage it? Idk seen a couple YouTube videos though.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 7, 2023

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

eddiewalker posted:

Checking the oil whenever you get gas is a good habit when youre driving an old car. Theyve even got paper towels to wipe with.
Is it better to do this before or after Chipotle

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Today while I was idling waiting for gas, suddenly some almond smelling white vapor started to seep in from the dashboard. It was coming from where the door opens and not the ac vents. I also noticed that my front passenger window lost power when I tried to open all 4 windows to clear the foul smell. Could it be because of an electrical short connected to that window? What should I do next?

Edit: I had the ac on by the way but the vapor wasnt coming from the vents. This is a 2010 Pontiac Vibe by the way and I have engine code p0505.

I figured out what this was and thought you guys would get a kick out of this. I decided to check under the window switches on my drivers side since one of them felt weird after this problem started and discovered this under the switch where the window stopped working along with that horrible smell:

Have a replacement on the way from eBay for not too much money. Im glad I decided to be curious before taking it to a shop.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
I had a weird part fit problem this afternoon. I was replacing an axle shaft, bearing and seal on my 68 Cutlass. Its a 12 bolt Chevrolet C-clip axle.

Everything went together fine until the very last step, the brake drum wouldnt fit over the hub. I double checked using an old drum, same problem.

That ridge in the hub is what is stopping it. There is no ridge like that on old shaft. Would I be correct in suspecting that this is some sort of machining error? I dont see why there would be a ridge there. Axle shaft is a Dorman, product photos online arent good enough to see if the ridge is supposed to be there.

Ill probably send off an email to Dorman with that photo and see if that gets me anywhere.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I finally got the transmission for my expedition that Ive been waiting for finally. They were never able to give me a Delivery estimate but it just showed up one day. Fine Great. Super happy with the new transmission. Drives likes its brand new.

But.

The TPMS sensors say theyve gone bad on the front wheels. Is this a real thing or just need to be reset ?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Proust Malone posted:

I finally got the transmission for my expedition that Ive been waiting for finally. They were never able to give me a Delivery estimate but it just showed up one day. Fine Great. Super happy with the new transmission. Drives likes its brand new.

But.

The TPMS sensors say theyve gone bad on the front wheels. Is this a real thing or just need to be reset ?

If they were fine before this feels a lot more like you need to repair those sensors. I don't know much about TPMS!

e: Sorry I meant specifically re-pair them. Like google the pairing procedure! Sorry my idiot brain didn't get that repair and re-pair are yeah

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Aug 8, 2023

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Fornax Disaster posted:

I had a weird part fit problem this afternoon. I was replacing an axle shaft, bearing and seal on my 68 Cutlass. Its a 12 bolt Chevrolet C-clip axle.

Everything went together fine until the very last step, the brake drum wouldnt fit over the hub. I double checked using an old drum, same problem.

That ridge in the hub is what is stopping it. There is no ridge like that on old shaft. Would I be correct in suspecting that this is some sort of machining error? I dont see why there would be a ridge there. Axle shaft is a Dorman, product photos online arent good enough to see if the ridge is supposed to be there.

Ill probably send off an email to Dorman with that photo and see if that gets me anywhere.

12 bolts come in 2.780(later) and 2.810(earlier) brake pilot. some after-market axles do both with a step, but that step is usually closer to the flange.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Took my 99 Camry on the interstate for the first time in 5+ years. I notice when braking at high speeds there's a loud sound, but it doesn't have the pulsing that feels like a warped rotor. This doesn't happen when braking hard below 40 mph either. Just take it to the shop and let them figure it out? Or could I be getting lucky and it's something about breaking the brakes back in and it's ok

115k mile car, been driving it regularly for 4 months after it sitting for a few years. Just got replacement tires so I think it isn't that. Alignment feels fine.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

trevorreznik posted:

Took my 99 Camry on the interstate for the first time in 5+ years. I notice when braking at high speeds there's a loud sound, but it doesn't have the pulsing that feels like a warped rotor. This doesn't happen when braking hard below 40 mph either. Just take it to the shop and let them figure it out? Or could I be getting lucky and it's something about breaking the brakes back in and it's ok

115k mile car, been driving it regularly for 4 months after it sitting for a few years. Just got replacement tires so I think it isn't that. Alignment feels fine.

It's hard to diagnose with that description, but dear god there are other people on the road, please figure out what's wrong with your brakes before taking it onto the highway again. If they fail, you are not the only one at risk of getting hurt. Take it to the mechanic and have them diagnose it, brakes can fail spectacularly and at highways speeds it is a real danger to your life.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Powershift posted:

12 bolts come in 2.780(later) and 2.810(earlier) brake pilot. some after-market axles do both with a step, but that step is usually closer to the flange.

Thanks, I wasnt aware of that. Ordering rear end parts for this thing is a pain in the rear end, Canadian built Oldsmobiles didnt use the same differentials as US ones which adds another layer of confusion to it.

I put it back together with the old axle for now, it has some damage but isnt deeply grooved, hopefully itll be good enough for the short term.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Hell yeah, I found the trunk rattle in my WRX. One of the muffler hanger bars was rattling against the hitch I installed like 6 years ago. There were clear marks of something hitting it too. Super glued a small piece of Shamwow to the hitch and bam, no more rattle.

My long nightmare is over.

If the hitch wasnt a colossal pain in the dick to install, Id just take the drat thing off. Ive never used it once

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

My long nightmare is over.

If the hitch wasnt a colossal pain in the dick to install, Id just take the drat thing off. Ive never used it once

It looks like it might be easier to get it off than it was to install it?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

trevorreznik posted:

You should be able to see how much brake pad material you have left, although I'd expect you'd hear that at lower speeds too, it's the first thing to rule out.

Brad Logan
Jan 20, 2009

opengl posted:

Assuming it'll work on your vehicle, these make getting the air out dead simple, since they sit well above your coolant level https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-24680-Spill-Free-Funnel/dp/B00A6AS6LY/
I tried this out today, and it didn't pull any coolant in - if anything, it probably ended up a bit higher in the funnel by the time I shut off. The other two things I noticed were that the upper radiator hose when squeezed doesn't really feel like it's full of coolant, and it doesn't seem like it's moving much coolant at idle. If I rev the engine to about 2000-2500 as in the factory bleed procedure, I get bubbles and it would suck coolant out of the surge tank when I wasn't using the funnel, but at idle, there's no visible movement of coolant in the tank, even once it warms up.

Am I being paranoid or could this indicate a water pump or thermostat problem?

On the AC side of things, I bought a gauge/manifold set from HF and tried it, but the gauges were stuck at weird readings, so I'll have to exchange that before I can check the refrigerant.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Why do you put a black jumper cable on a metal part of the dead car instead of the corresponding terminal?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

NotNut posted:

Why do you put a black jumper cable on a metal part of the dead car instead of the corresponding terminal?

when you complete a circuit, any circuit, there is a small arc as the electricity jumps the small gap at the end. usually it's tiny and doesn't matter. dead batteries can emit hydrogen, which is explosively flammable. so, it's wise to make the last connection farther away from the battery, if possible. the other connections don't make an arc because there's no complete circuit, so you only have to worry with the last one (unless you accidentally touch the cables together or something like that)

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Brad Logan posted:

Am I being paranoid or could this indicate a water pump or thermostat problem?
Are you actually having overheating issues? Part of the bleeding instructions you are giving includes getting up to operating temperature. Is the vehicle getting up to normal operating temperature and not going over it? If so, why do you think your coolant system has issues? If not, what are your coolant system issue symptoms?

As for A/C if it cools when you are at speed but not normally, check fans to see if they are moving air over the condenser at idle when it's warm. It sounds like the only air flow is when at motion, so check condenser / fans.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Is there any effective way to remove a roast infestation from a car? There's a decent IS300 for sale near me that has been for sale for a while, in part because it appears there are roaches living in it. I have a legitimate phobia of the drat things (especially the german ones, which are apparently indestructible) but my desire for a cheap, manual IS300 may be stronger.
Mods?

Brad Logan
Jan 20, 2009

Sub Rosa posted:

Are you actually having overheating issues? Part of the bleeding instructions you are giving includes getting up to operating temperature. Is the vehicle getting up to normal operating temperature and not going over it? If so, why do you think your coolant system has issues? If not, what are your coolant system issue symptoms?

As for A/C if it cools when you are at speed but not normally, check fans to see if they are moving air over the condenser at idle when it's warm. It sounds like the only air flow is when at motion, so check condenser / fans.
The gauge isn't indicating any cooling system issues, but I'm not certain how conclusive that is. Would air in the cooling system definitely show up as increased temperature on the gauge?

I'm looking for advice / experience with these vehicles or cooling systems because:
  • It's a new to me, but used vehicle - so I don't know what's normal.
  • I've previously worked with the older style (metal pressure cap on radiator) cooling systems, but have little experience with this style.
  • The cooling system does not seem to move much (any?) fluid at idle. (Possible symptom, but I'm not sure)
  • The upper radiator hose does not feel like it has fluid in it, especially when the system is cold. (Possible symptom, but I'm not sure)
  • A new issue (the AC) popped up with no obvious cause. (It's certainly not impossible that this is totally unrelated, but "it worked great until the exact moment I worked on something else" is enough to think about it for me.)
I do understand that AC is separate from the cooling system, but I'm confident that nothing I touched could have directly caused the problem, which makes the timing very suspect to me. These posts in the AC thread, where someone had a very similar issue (cooling system woes, AC warm unless moving) and resolved it by burping the cooling system suggests to me that it's not totally out of left field. (They also had to add refrigerant, which, pressures are on my list to check too.)

I attempted to visualize the condenser last night, but I'm not certain I was looking at the right one, so I'll take a closer look today. There were no obvious bent fins or obstructions on any of what I was looking at, though, and the fans appeared to be running.

Brad Logan fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 9, 2023

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

DildenAnders posted:

Is there any effective way to remove a roast infestation from a car? There's a decent IS300 for sale near me that has been for sale for a while, in part because it appears there are roaches living in it. I have a legitimate phobia of the drat things (especially the german ones, which are apparently indestructible) but my desire for a cheap, manual IS300 may be stronger.
Mods?

I.. don't think you'll really ever reach the kind of extermination here that someone who doesn't like roaches would be comfortable with. There's the other issues that go along with this as well, like a secondary infestation of disgusting awful poo poo that eats roaches. The last thing you need would be to get into your car one morning and have a sweaty joe rogan podcasting from it. I'd pass on this one.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

I.. don't think you'll really ever reach the kind of extermination here that someone who doesn't like roaches would be comfortable with. There's the other issues that go along with this as well, like a secondary infestation of disgusting awful poo poo that eats roaches. The last thing you need would be to get into your car one morning and have a sweaty joe rogan podcasting from it. I'd pass on this one.

If you were planning to rip out the whole interior and build a racecar, it might be doable.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

DildenAnders posted:

Mods?

I picked up literally thousands of fleas while inspecting a basement in South Philadelphia a few years back. I only became aware of the issue after I was back in my company car, writing an estimate, etc on my laptop and started itching, looked down, and my jeans looked like moving houndstooth.

They were in my laptop, up my nose, in the console, behind the gauge lens. They were everywhere.

I managed to drive home after calling my boss & then cancelling my subsequent appointments.

I left everything in my car when I got home, including every stitch of clothing I had on, and used a Raid Fumigator to clear out the car. These are water-activated, and release a very dense smoke. Added the water, set it on the armrest, and closed it up tight for three hours. After 20-minutes, you wont be able to see into the car. Itll look like its on fire.

It will kill everything*, wont damage anything in the car, and will leave a springtime-fresh odor.

Just open all of the doors for a bit afterwards, and run the HVAC on the fresh-air setting while doing so.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Raid-Max-1-27-oz-Fresh-Scent-Dry-Fogger-3-Pack-306733/307322253

I used to use these when I lived in an apartment. Whenever I saw a roach, Id pop one off before I left for work. Would keep them away for about 3-months.

*The only caveat I have is that it probably wont kill egg cases, so if there are any, you may start to see them, in which case, do it again. Id read up on the life-cycle of the little fucks to be sure you kill them after they hatch but before they reproduce. May take 2-3 treatments to eliminate them entirely.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 9, 2023

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
That sounds like the kind of practical advice you really wish you didn't have the knowledge to give.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Yeah, well, welcome to property insurance claims.

They dont really cover the hazards in training.

I mean, I do, when I train people, but Im one of those OJT weirdos.`

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

PainterofCrap posted:

I picked up literally thousands of fleas while inspecting a basement in South Philadelphia a few years back. I only became aware of the issue after I was back in my company car, writing an estimate, etc on my laptop and started itching, looked down, and my jeans looked like moving houndstooth.

They were in my laptop, up my nose, in the console, behind the gauge lens. They were everywhere.

I managed to drive home after calling my boss & then cancelling my subsequent appointments.

I left everything in my car when I got home, including every stitch of clothing I had on, and used a Raid Fumigator to clear out the car. These are water-activated, and release a very dense smoke. Added the water, set it on the armrest, and closed it up tight for three hours. After 20-minutes, you won’t be able to see into the car. It’ll look like it’s on fire.

It will kill everything*, won’t damage anything in the car, and will leave a springtime-fresh odor.

Just open all of the doors for a bit afterwards, and run the HVAC on the fresh-air setting while doing so.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Raid-Max-1-27-oz-Fresh-Scent-Dry-Fogger-3-Pack-306733/307322253

I used to use these when I lived in an apartment. Whenever I saw a roach, I’d pop one off before I left for work. Would keep them away for about 3-months.

*The only caveat I have is that it probably won’t kill egg cases, so if there are any, you may start to see them, in which case, do it again. I’d read up on the life-cycle of the little fucks to be sure you kill them after they hatch but before they reproduce. May take 2-3 treatments to eliminate them entirely.

The unplesantness of that may be stronger than the desire for a cheap IS300. Thank you and dear god I'm sorry.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

If that stuff seems bad to you please drop off some donuts and coffee and your local ambulance station where they go into those homes almost weekly!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

DildenAnders posted:

Mods?

German roaches are badge snobs anyway, you wouldn't get them in a Lexus.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Park it in Alaska for a winter?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Shrieking Muppet posted:

I recently became a higher class of rear end in a top hat and got a BMW convertible, this is my first car with leather interior. Is there a goon recommended guide to automotive leather care?

Check out either Gyeon or Colorlock as both are good.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

DildenAnders posted:

The unplesantness of that may be stronger than the desire for a cheap IS300. Thank you and dear god I'm sorry.

I posted that to encourage you to buy it!

I didn't even mention showering under a quart of isopropyl alcohol whilst standing naked in my driveway.

Seriously: never had any issue after that. Drove the car another two-years.

edit: the worst part was driving home without speeding or hitting anything.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 10, 2023

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

Park it in Alaska for a winter?

A few weeks in Death Valley should take care of them

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If I rent a mini van or SUV that has 1600 lbs cargo capacity to haul 1400 lbs auto parts + me (just shy of 200 lbs) that's fine for a couple (6) hours on the highway right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

hell yeah get on it