Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

doverhog posted:

Why? Wouldn't you rather have the beast work for you?

Yes? But the beast will devour the hand that feeds it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Josef bugman posted:

Ultimately, all private industry should be abolished.

:yeah:

Private property also.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Could always join an Amish community. I think they might be one of those communities where everything belongs to everyone else.

Maybe? I could be wrong. Most exposure to them I’ve had is the movie Kingpin.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

This has been covered before, but since it's summer: I've never understood the appeal of watermelon; it doesn't have much taste.

e, twofer: early Eagles is great stuff - Best of My Love; Desperado; Peaceful, Easy Feeling are all good songs. Once you get to the Hotel California and Heartache Tonight era, the Eagles begin to suck. Most people just dislike the Eagles because of that line from Big Lebowski.

Journey of the Sorcerer is the best Eagles song. Very nearly used it as our wedding march.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Elissimpark posted:

Journey of the Sorcerer is the best Eagles song. Very nearly used it as our wedding march.

:yeah:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Robobot posted:

Could always join an Amish community. I think they might be one of those communities where everything belongs to everyone else.

Maybe? I could be wrong. Most exposure to them I’ve had is the movie Kingpin.

The Hutterites have communal property to some extent, I believe. The Amish don't, I think (though they tend to be close knit communities in general)

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Can you really join those groups? Do they accept converts? Because they seem pretty insular and caring about blood and inheritance etc. (i'd never wanna join or try to join such a group)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

doverhog posted:

Can you really join those groups? Do they accept converts? Because they seem pretty insular and caring about blood and inheritance etc. (i'd never wanna join or try to join such a group)

I honestly have no idea. I imagine you could convert if you were really serious about joining the church but I don't know what's involved. Probably convincing the local bishop you were serious about it would be the biggest uphill struggle.

My great grandparents were Amish but left the church in their early 20s. The Mennonite church I grew up a part of wasn't really very different from any other protestant church in the Midwest in most ways.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
If there's any hope for the future, it is the rekindled leftist movements in South America. The greatest threat to those movements is America, which crushed them last time. But it seems like now America is too dysfunctional to successfully do coups anymore. All right-thinking people should cheer any event which further weakens America's ability to project power outside it's borders.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Gripweed posted:

If there's any hope for the future, it is the rekindled leftist movements in South America. The greatest threat to those movements is America, which crushed them last time. But it seems like now America is too dysfunctional to successfully do coups anymore. All right-thinking people should cheer any event which further weakens America's ability to project power outside it's borders.

This seems like wishful thinking, based on 80s movies or something.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

This has been covered before, but since it's summer: I've never understood the appeal of watermelon; it doesn't have much taste.

You have covid, or live somewhere that doesn't get good watermelons. The ones we have around here have lots of taste in season, but can get pretty watery off-season, when we're importing lesser goods i guess.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Watermelon has a like 1:1 weight-to-disappointment ratio going for it. Every single time I look at a watermelon I think it's going to be good, but it's always, at best, okay. Maybe I also only eat bad watermelons, because I sure like watermelon flavored candy and gum and poo poo

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Honestly watermelon is just refreshing. On a hot summer day even if it's not the most flavorful melon it just hits right

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

christmas boots posted:

Honestly watermelon is just refreshing. On a hot summer day even if it's not the most flavorful melon it just hits right

Watermelon, like grapes, is basically a respectable way of devouring sugar water on a hot day.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Watermelon is something like 93% water, hence its name, so it's a good thing to eat if you're dehydrated.
But water (AKA H2O) is even better to consume, and you can eat something better like a burger or even a fuckin kale salad.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Phosphine posted:

You have covid, or live somewhere that doesn't get good watermelons. The ones we have around here have lots of taste in season, but can get pretty watery off-season, when we're importing lesser goods i guess.

I actually do have covid at the moment, coincidentally, but I didn't like watermelon before I caught the plague. Your latter point about eating bad watermelon might be true; I don't know whether my state (a southern midatlantic one) is known for its watermelons.

Someone mentioned grapes, and they're far better and less disappointing than watermelon, imo.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has a new favorite as of 21:22 on Jul 10, 2022

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It feels really good to eat water-laden fruits on a hot day though

It's 31 degrees, I'm sorry, watermelon, grapes, sweet tea, etc etc, just feel good in a way that "ice water and other food" don't.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I actually do have covid at the moment, coincidentally, but I didn't like watermelon before I caught the plague. Your latter point about living in an area that doesn't produce good watermelon could be true; I don't know whether my state (a southern midatlantic one) is known for its watermelons.

Someone mentioned grapes, and they're far better and less disappointing than watermelon, imo.

Even the best watermelon has a pretty subtle taste but there's definitely a difference between it and the absolutely bland stuff it is at its worst.

I practically lived off grapes when I was in the hospital last year after some major surgery because they were the only remotely fresh fruit I could get and I didn't usually want much that was heavy.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I prefer white wine over red wine.
I prefer red grapes over white grapes.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I hate summer. I hate the feeling of melting, I hate the warmth and the too brightness and the feeling of everything being under pressure. I hate and loathe heat.

Josef bugman has a new favorite as of 23:07 on Jul 10, 2022

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

they say tomorrow's gonna be hotter

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Josef bugman posted:

I hate summer. I hate the feeling of melting, I hate the warmth and the too brightness and the feeling of everything being under pressure. I hate and loathe heat.

This isn't the correct opinion thread!!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The Mighty Moltres posted:

I prefer white wine over red wine.
I prefer red grapes over white grapes.

I'm not really a wine person, but yeah, I love me some red grapes.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

hawowanlawow posted:

they say tomorrow's gonna be hotter

I'll call tomorrow

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The grapes they sell at supermarkets are garbage. They've traded almost all of their flavour for size and seedlessness. I often hear people complain about tomatoes, but you can get decent tomatoes from the supermarket if you're picky. It's impossible to get good grapes because they just don't sell the varieties that are worth eating.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Gaius Marius posted:

I'll call tomorrow

You’ll call now.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Josef bugman posted:

Ultimately, all private industry should be abolished.

all property too

its unnatural

return to the state of nature

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

doverhog posted:

You can definitely become a mennonite which is a bit like being amish in dress at least

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

FishBulbia posted:

You can definitely become a mennonite which is a bit like being amish in dress at least

Eh, some Mennonites certainly, but again, many are just like being a member of any other Protestant church. (E. Aside from us being pacifists.)

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I work at the Mall of America and we’ll get what I assume are Mennonites. They typically just check out our Bible selection and don’t buy anything

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
You have to convert to orthodox judaism or Israel doesn't recognize you as a jew.

I suggest converting to reform and not going to Israel. It is a bad place.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Tiggum posted:

The grapes they sell at supermarkets are garbage. They've traded almost all of their flavour for size and seedlessness. I often hear people complain about tomatoes, but you can get decent tomatoes from the supermarket if you're picky. It's impossible to get good grapes because they just don't sell the varieties that are worth eating.

My neighbour grows both grapes and tomatoes, as well as a myriad of other things. And he is very generous with it all.
Dude is cool as heck.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

My neighbour grows both grapes and tomatoes, as well as a myriad of other things. And he is very generous with it all.
Dude is cool as heck.

People lavishing fresh veggies on us is the one thing I miss up growing up in a rural armpit

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

People lavishing fresh veggies on us is the one thing I miss up growing up in a rural armpit

He also has the largest marijuana plants I have ever seen.
O Canada!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Steak is weird.
"Here, have a slab of meat. It's not even cooked. Eat it with a potato."

It's only uncooked in the US. Real people cook their steaks.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

FishBulbia posted:

all property too

its unnatural

return to the state of nature

A state of nature does not exist. But industry directed by its workers or towards the common good in opposition to private profit is always a good thing to aim for.

Anything that is described as "natural" needs additional scrutiny, its one of those signs of something being a scam to me.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Medium rare is pretty much the standard everywhere, except maybe places where the quality of beef is poor. Or places people don't really eat steaks, it's a pretty western thing to do.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Indeed.
There's a difference between well-done and burned.
Our ancestors knew how to use fire, learn from them.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Indeed.
There's a difference between well-done and burned.
Our ancestors knew how to use fire, learn from them.

Counterpoint: nowhere I've been in the US can do a well-cooked medium. And this isn't something where I don't know what medium is, I do, the problem is with medium the steak is actually well done and with medium rare it is rare. Give me a good medium anytime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Someone is going to say the US doesn't eat raw beef/pork because the quality is terrible, so I'm just dropping my knowledge in advance because this derail happens at least twice a year:

After seeing this many times, I started to wonder why it is that europeans who visit the US don't get sick like both euros and north americans often do when visiting poorer countries. I compared to France because that's the other country I've spent most of my life in. It's true France has way less food poisoning than the US, on paper.

The actual reason for this is that France only tracks food-borne illness that seriously affects or kills people. The US tracks "three hours of tummy ache."

One shouldn't eat raw beef or especially pork of the shelf in North America because the culture just doesn't like raw meat, so it's not handled by most distributors or restaurants in a way that keeps the raw meat food-quality. Steak tartare is commonplace, mett is also around in specialty places. You can also go to a local butcher if you want it from home. It's not hard to find, but nobody wants it.

Chicken slaughter in North America actually is a lot grosser than european, but nobody eats raw chicken regardless. If you want to though, go euro.

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Counterpoint: nowhere I've been in the US can do a well-cooked medium. And this isn't something where I don't know what medium is, I do, the problem is with medium the steak is actually well done and with medium rare it is rare. Give me a good medium anytime.

My experience in the restaurant industry (but never at a steakhouse, just sports bars n poo poo) is we poo poo out either rare or well-done because self-proclaimed steak connoisseurs will loudly complain that it's either overdone or too raw. Bad news for anyone who actually wants a medium.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 13:09 on Jul 11, 2022