Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

fuctifino posted:

Yeah, that guy is a prick.

:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
You know, if I ever see someone who wants to know more about Star Citizen, I think I'll give them a link to that Twitter account. It has such an official-looking name, and it would give the perfect first impression of the project

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

lol

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

:gwarlaugh:

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

So that's what the twitter spam report button is for

USSAr
Sep 16, 2007

Your a Commie

rolf

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
They asked for feedback and this citizen did more work than the entire turbulant and community teams

**The website at its core is a complete mess and very confusing if you don't already know what you are doing.

**Remove the comm links from the opening page when you are not signed in. You have to assume its either someone that knows exactly what they are doing, or someone that has not been here before. The splash page should not include all that confusing information from the get go.

**Clean up the links at the top of the page for new comers. Too often someone is going to click the logical "store" button instead of the much less obvious "fly now" button. Which instead of actually trying to convey what it does, gets lost in trying to sound cool instead. You don't want a new person getting put off by seeing $15,000 ship packages. Honestly these big packages should be put in an entirely different section. I also challenge a new person to EVER be able to figure out what Spectrum is and click on it. Instead they will click on the "forums" link and just get confused.... you want to pretend spectrum is a form of forums? Then don't put it under an entirely different grouping!!! Not only do you name something that does not hint at all at its use, but then you hide it.

**Combine both the "Fly Now" button that manages to look like it would take you to the same place as the "Getting Started" video above it.... this is terrible UI design. Just combine them, you want new people to have one place to click that will give them a rundown and the option to purchase.

**The average non backer still thinks "Star Citizen" is the whole game, it needs to be made obvious that you are NOT getting the single player campaign when you buy a package that "includes everything you need to play Star Citizen". While true, if you don't bother to make the distinction to a new person, you are being very misleading. Opening page should be split in half, with half of each side being a giant link. One half for SQ42 one half for Star Citizen. Each leading to descriptions of them. This distinction needs to be made OBVIOUS.

**If you are going to have confusingly titled "sales" with ships that are not regularly offered. You need to COMMUNICATE THIS to new players. People regularly see ships they want, but get confused by not having the option to buy them. Tell people WHY its not available, with maybe an option for an email notification (hey you guys did this to yourself by artificially withholding for effect, you created the problem, stop making new players suffer the confusion because of it).

**Stop trying to sugercoat and avoid the issues we have right now. Include the biggest known issues in your "What can I experience now" category. Be honest so that players getting horrible stuttering in 2.6 know that it is known, it is not their fault, and point to when it will be fixed. Give a popular youtuber a free ship with every major patch to make an "official" getting started video that you include on your official "getting started page". These need to always be up to date, or they hurt more then they help.

**As far as the SQ42 side of things, that whole side of the website is the epitome of visual flash over usefulness. I click "SQ42" (because I am prescient and already knew it was the single payer campaign).... and the first "information" I see is a bio of a fictional character that Gary Oldman is portraying? Seriously?! Its nice that you got real tallent, but it is literally the LAST thing I need to know after I click SQ42. The whole thing plays out like a slide show with useless information, but fancy visuals. When you have more information included as the bio of ONE character, then you have as the DESCRIPTION of the game itself! You have you realize you are doing something wrong. The description is also terrible. You don't even mention how many missions there will be, and barely give any context to the game at all.... and this tiny nectar of information is only obtained after scrolling through FIVE pages. Then you are rewarded by trying to click on "Answer the call 2017"... when nothing happens you finally look down and see a button that is the same highlight color AS THE BACKGROUND AROUND IT. I wish I was making this up. Nothing about that button reads as a button. Then I am brought to the store, and for some absurd reason there is a $275 ship that I CANT EVEN USE IN THE SINGLE PLAYER GAME for sale as a "related product". Why on earth are you confusing people with this. I clicked to "buy SQ42" but now you are trying to sell me a ship that you don't even tell me I can't use in the game I would be buying. Just remove the "related" prodcuts or only include those that are actually.... related. The best part of this, is that is says "game packages".... a new person is going to all of a sudden start being confused and worried when they see these "game packages" for the SAME price but include a ship... now the confused new person is hoping around, and getting lost in the depths of the terribly organized MASSIVE store.... then they come to reddit and make a post. Where we explain that no you should not buy SQ42 like that, you will not get access to the currently available game despite there being very confusing wording included on the SQ42 package (the bit about the game being in Alpha... well maybe SQ42 is in Alpha for CIG, but its certainly not playable by anyone else). Also the biggest images are of "a guy making an important speech" and some sort of broken rubble. I have zero context to understand why this matters, and little way to figure it out! ...wasn't this game about flying space ships?

**I know you are fixing the Aurora, but the Mustang MUST be put in the fast lane to be fixed as well. Its mind boggling that you would have a ship advertised as a first ship, with completely broken EVA mechanics. I'd honestly take it away from the starter packages until you get around to make it work. Heck this should be included in part of the description for "what you can expect right now".... Just say there are issues with EVA transitions, and its getting worked on! Its not that hard.

Edit: At the end of the day, we all eventually decode how the website works and can accomplish whatever we want to. What MUST ABSOLUTELY be addressed is the initial user experience that just wants to figure out whether they should buy it, and what to expect from what is available. THAT is the thing that has to be fixed. The rest of the website can stay knotted and layered for now.... before eventually just rebuilding the entire site from scratch, from its very basic structure.

Edit2: I meant to include this as well, we also need a basic explanation of all the terminology that is included in the "getting started" screen. It can be simple, where everything basically has a hover over mini explanation. Like "insurance", a new player is not going to have any idea what that really means. Just add an explanation saying "replaces your ship in case of it being destroyed/stolen for free, and will be a cheap reoccurring cost after the insurance expires". There are so many layers of confusion in just this one small example. Another being "what is 6 months", is it in game time? is it only when I'm using the ship? is it real time... and the funny part is, despite being here since kickstarter. I honestly CANT REMEMBER exactly how the free insurance time works!!

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

He is now in the lion's Zone of Death and will die if he takes another action.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

TrustmeImLegit posted:

I know this has been categorized as a kind of ‘cash grab,’ and I want to add that I don’t think that’s the spirit of the thing at all. Why? Because we aren’t buying rocket cars and moon boots... we’re putting all that money back into your game. The more backers we bring in, the more staff we hire and the more we can do with the game. And that’s the dream we’ve been chasing, the one you’ve made possible: a game ruled by ideas that fights as hard as it can to always do better instead of being good enough. We try hard to make our marketing fun and immersive and part of the experience... so sometimes the sheer necessity gets lost. Every time we sell the game, development gets better. And there’s nothing else like that in the world.

:derp:

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

TrustmeImLegit posted:

They asked for feedback and this citizen did more work than the entire turbulant and community teams

:words:

So after being badgered by their soon-to-be-ex friend until they finally agree "Fine, I'll look at Star Citizen, just to get you to shut up", this is what the potential new player will experience. Those referrals must just be rolling in

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/GhandiSardiner/status/859873045036638214

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Amazing that even an idiot like Ben thinks he can boast about how they spend backers' cash

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
So much for PM's. Didn't take you for a grass.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

You got hit by the userid=0 trick and self owned, just let it go and the thread will forget it by tomorrow.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
We're not buying rocket cars and moon boots, though we certainly could if we felt the need or the inclination. In fact, we're more about- what's that? Oh that's real cool Chris. Like I was saying we're not buying moon boots,

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Dooguk posted:

So much for PM's. Didn't take you for a grass.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

:rolleyes:

These dudes. Wow

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Hey everybody,
I wanted to stop in and talk about some of the referral program feedback we’ve been seeing. I apologize for resurrecting your thread, but it seemed like a good place to share all of this. We wanted to take a few days to think things through and make sure we understand your feelings, and I think we’ve made some good progress.

The most important feedback to me is the concern over the new player experience. There’s a strong feeling that we should not be pushing new players into the game without a support network. Frankly, hearing that issue come up so much makes us very happy... because it reminds us that you care about Star Citizen in exactly the same way we do. It was heartening to see that so much of the reaction wasn’t about winning prizes or the space cat but about making sure everything is right before you share the world you helped build with your friends.

And that feedback is 100% correct. We often forget that the Citizens who make up the community today are a hardy bunch who have been through the fire of game development the same way we have. So we are on it! As you’ve already heard, we’re moving around some resources to support a new player initiative. That will take the form of additional video tutorials and beginner content to help bring people who haven’t been following us for so long into the ‘verse, and we’ve also passed your feedback on to the development side for their consideration.

Another big issue we’ve found is what has come across as the... I’d say urgency of the contest. Why such a push right now? That question has a few answers, and I’d like to talk about them. First of all, you are absolutely correct that we want new Citizens to join the game. But I know this has been categorized as a kind of ‘cash grab,’ and I want to add that I don’t think that’s the spirit of the thing at all. Why? Because we aren’t buying rocket cars and moon boots... we’re putting all that money back into your game. The more backers we bring in, the more staff we hire and the more we can do with the game. And that’s the dream we’ve been chasing, the one you’ve made possible: a game ruled by ideas that fights as hard as it can to always do better instead of being good enough. We try hard to make our marketing fun and immersive and part of the experience... so sometimes the sheer necessity gets lost. Every time we sell the game, development gets better. And there’s nothing else like that in the world.

That said, we agree with you that it does feel too TOO urgent. There are people who want the space bike who can’t imagine earning it in three months, there are people who want to wait until 3.0 to introduce their friends so they’ll see Star Citizen really shine... and we very much respect that. As a result, we’re going to be making some changes to the ladder, especially to add some more lower tier rewards for longtime supporters but also to give you more of a chance to get the unique items from the contest. Stay tuned for an announcement, and just don’t worry that you need to beg everyone to earn you a Dragonfly today!

Finally, I want to say a few words about the idea of recognizing referral program members. Another critique—a less common one, for sure, but still important—is that the contest rollout unfairly highlighted folks who have been referring since earlier days. Our feeling on this is twofold: one, yes we can absolutely see how that is the case... but two, we feel very strongly that backers who have been with us since the beginning and who have put so much effort into supporting the game, introducing new players and making the experience better for everyone SHOULD get a moment in the sun. If I could put every single person who has been part of the community all this time on AtV I would... but to my mind, it only makes sense that people who have given their blood, sweat and time to our dream should be honored. After all, one of the most wonderful things about Star Citizen is that every one of these people is just like you. Anyone can pick up an Aurora, anyone can stream the game, anyone can share the adventure... and we want the people that to do know how much we appreciate them.

I will close by thanking you for the feedback and also encouraging you to continue. What have I missed? What else do you need to know? I would also personally be very interested to know what you would like to see in a ladder update and what you’d like to see with regards to new player orientation. Anyone who tells you that this kind of criticism is bad or trouble or should be stifled is wrong; hearing from you in this (and everything) works exactly like supporting the game: it makes everything better. I’ll be reading!

Ben

Haha

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
Is star citizen good yet? Have all the filthy goon leavers bought back in?

And furthermore...

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Krycek posted:

Is star citizen good yet? Have all the filthy goon leavers bought back in?

And furthermore...

Well, depending on when you last checked in, this has happened:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Anyone who believes a word Ben says deserves to get scammed.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Ah I see they've managed to drag Ben out as the scapegoat again after so long

They used to only have him effort post when things were reaching critical mass on the forums

Feels good man

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

:rolleyes:

These dudes. Wow

I finally understand the mind of the shitizen. They mistook the give money >>> get product transaction for "a personal relationship."

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

We're not buying rocket cars and moon boots, though we certainly could if we felt the need or the inclination. In fact, we're more about- what's that? Oh that's real cool Chris. Like I was saying we're not buying moon boots,

*camera accidently pans over to view Chris trying to tape some hobby rockets to his limited edition porsche*

*audio cuts out abruptly and the video free goes dark*

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Wise Learned Man posted:

I finally understand the mind of the shitizen. They mistook the give money >>> get product transaction for "a personal relationship."

I bet there's a German word for this

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Thoatse posted:

How do you say "girlfriend experience" in German?

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.

big nipples big life posted:

You got hit by the userid=0 trick and self owned, just let it go and the thread will forget it by tomorrow.

I cannot believe anyone clicks on links without checking where the link actually points in this day and age. It's like an "are you too dumb to use the interweb" test.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sillybones posted:

Proof that dude actually did have his young mind broken when Derek Smart owned him on some ancient BBS. I can only dream that my shitposts can harm someone for even a few minutes, let alone a few decades.

Friend, your posting has scarred me for life, rest assured! :)

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Wise Learned Man posted:

Makes sense. Same thing with prostitues. They really love me, right?

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I'm sure a lot of you don't know anything about or care about Runescape but I like to watch development and relive a bit of nostalgia every now and then. They recently posted a blog about a new area of content they're making and it's kind of funny to compare it to Star Citizen in terms of open development.
http://services.runescape.com/m=news/progress-report-the-inferno?oldschool=1
Every week they poll the community to see if they should make changes to the game or make new content and then they'll go out and make it. Then after they design it they'll poll that stuff and so on until they finally put it in the game. Even though Runescape is a very "simple" game the team is only like 20 people and I doubt that very many of them are over 30. They also sit on a couch together on Twitch and actually do Q&A about the game every week too and I can guarantee each one is infinitely more useful than any AtV has ever been.

It's a shame that Star Citizen could have been something like this but Chris had to go and skullfuck every last detail until the game was an unstable unworkable disaster.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Thoatse posted:

Dergettenfuken.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Derek is it safe to say the ELE is close now that Ben is back to posting on the spectrum ?

A sign of the end times

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Kellanved posted:

Ain't that a Tenno?

Chris Roberts wholesale steal?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6923ug/bens_answer_regarding_your_referal_program/dh3dd8i/

"RiSC1911 [score hidden] 8 minutes ago
That is oddly specific...so tell us which fat gently caress with raptor arms has hosed your sister? You can tell us, we are all friends here. Trust me, it'll make you feel better."

Lol. Subtle.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Apologies commando. I got a PM too.

Hopefully our Warlord got the joke.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Colostomy Bag posted:

Apologies commando. I got a PM too.

Hopefully our Warlord got the joke.

I was tricked for a minute, too. I sure am glad I noticed the userid=0 before I said anything

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

MinorInconvenience posted:

Makes sense. Same thing with prostitues. They really love me, right?
That stripper was really into me. Also, that bartender was very sympathetic. And the car salesman worked very hard to make sure I got the best possible deal. He even threw in the undercoating for free! What a guy.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Foo Diddley posted:

I was tricked for a minute, too. I sure am glad I noticed the userid=0 before I said anything

Whenever someone does this on the iracing forums it generates a 30 page thread full of confused forumdads getting all :argh: about it and it's glorious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

peter gabriel posted:

Whenever someone does this on the iracing forums it generates a 30 page thread full of confused forumdads getting all :argh: about it and it's glorious

And now the class knows why phishing attacks work.