Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

slidebite posted:

Off topic, but black sockets suck. They look all neato and fancy until you drop it when you're working on something and it doesn't hit the floor. Commence search for an hour... looking for something jet black in all the shadows, nooks and crannies.

They should all be lime green or hot pink :colbert:

I have fluorescent pink and yellow paint pens I mark all my tools with.
It helps me find them, but I also work with other people at stage rallies and whatnot, makes it a lot easier to sort out who owns which tools at the end of a job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Midjack posted:

Back with another one of those block rockn’ beats.

Man this brings back memories of the Wipeout games on PS1

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Figured this fits here too:

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Krakkles posted:

Also what was it? I got as far as V8 with a cam in the valley and got lost.

Looks a bit like a Windsor from the timing/water pump flanges, though it would have to be a custom block if it was (no stock Windsor was ever aluminum 4 bolt main that I know of). Not that aftermarket blocks are uncommon in high end marine stuff anyway.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Krakkles posted:

Also what was it? I got as far as V8 with a cam in the valley and got lost.

Almost certainly an aluminum "racing" engine of some sort, given the threaded freeze plugs and such, though it appears to be cast rather than billet.

Elviscat posted:

Holy poo poo, I remember finding this song in my dad's MP3 folder almost twenty years ago.

Hi, I'm your dad. Though the only Chemical Brothers I have actually on my phone at the moment is "Bug Powder Dust". Buncha others in my "MP3z" folder on the server.

antimatt posted:

And now with this post I feel VERY old.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I had Star Guitar on Stepmania in 2003.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Man the video to star guitar is so good, too.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

You sign on Michel Gondry to direct your poo poo in the early 2000s, you know all you're getting is excellence.

Let Forever Be, Around The World, Star Guitar as noted. I'm not really a Bjork fan but Hyperballad had a great video as well.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Chemical Brothers? Exit Planet Dust is still one of my favourite albums:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0_pU7F5E3U&list=PLjIuADMrDKIbZr0t44J1GKr1-wDCL2ZBU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Memento posted:

You sign on Michel Gondry to direct your poo poo in the early 2000s, you know all you're getting is excellence.

Let Forever Be, Around The World, Star Guitar as noted. I'm not really a Bjork fan but Hyperballad had a great video as well.

Am I the only one that bought that Gondry dvd collection of all his music videos and short videos like Jim Carrey driving around on a bed singing about pecan pie?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Spaceship go boom.

https://i.imgur.com/hKGlfnJ.mp4

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

It was a firm landing.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Really struck the landing!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Wrong thread. The entire launch / belly flop and Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly was absolutly AWESOME

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
it looks like a scene out of thunderbirds

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I remember thinking those rockets from Gattaca looking dumb, and I still do.

Wait now I don't know what loving movie they remind me of because a screenshot search is turning up nothing.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 10, 2020

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
My buddy shared with me the plan to do a bellyflop approach with a last minute rotation and landing earlier today, and I got really excited at the possibility of a big boom.

It did not disappoint.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

stone soup posted:

I thought that too, the old firework out the back of the wire model

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

stone soup posted:

Lol that's spot on.

Is there more video of this launch and landing anywhere? I have no idea what it's even about, was it a space X thing?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

https://youtu.be/egHxiX40eJY

Entity from a few cameras

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Wrong thread. The entire launch / belly flop and Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly was absolutly AWESOME

I'm told that the green flame indicates and Engine Rich Exhaust, as well.
One of the engines banged into another one on the way up, and didn't reignite for the landing. You can see it the engines wiggle around T +1:40, and one engine go out, then the all of them wobble and the second go out @ ~T +3:15.Point is, though, that it lifted successfully and made its altitude.

SpaceX had a live feed that I watched slightly behind actually live, since YT decided to pause for some reason just before the launch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap-BkkrRg-o

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The engine shut downs on the way up were planned. The extreme gymballing was to orient the rocket so that the remaining engines would thrust through the center of mass. The only thing that did not work was the propulsive landing. It was even dead center on target.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Yeah I'm no expert but that black smoke and puff of flame looked like some kind of "not quite right" combustion.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

LloydDobler posted:

Yeah I'm no expert but that black smoke and puff of flame looked like some kind of "not quite right" combustion.

I think it was eating the engine on the way down and the other one flamed out. They'll just have to work on getting the fuel to them for next time.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

The rotation makes it look like something out of an old bond film (Was it you only life twice?)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Darchangel posted:

I'm told that the green flame indicates and Engine Rich Exhaust, as well.

That would make sense, as green flames are characteristic of copper compounds, and many rocket engines contain copper parts for their thermal qualities

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Sagebrush posted:

That would make sense, as green flames are characteristic of copper compounds, and many rocket engines contain copper parts for their thermal qualities

According to Scott Manley, the engine rich exhaust was probably caused by low fuel system pressure at the very end, which lead to a very lean, oxygen-rich, engine-rich combustion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egHxiX40eJY

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Safety Dance posted:

According to Scott Manley, the engine rich exhaust was probably caused by low fuel system pressure at the very end, which lead to a very lean, oxygen-rich, engine-rich combustion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egHxiX40eJY

Yeah. Super lean conditions get crazy hot and burn up engine parts. Makes sense.

It was amazing to watch. Musk is a Grade-A rear end in a top hat, but he's managed to accomplish an incredible amount. I'm conflicted. SpaceX is accomplishing tasks in months or years that would take NASA decades. Reuse has gone from a pipe dream (and no the shuttle and SRBs don't count) to a non-news story. Full flow staged combustion has gone from a "never-left-the-ground" idea to a flying rocket with multiple engine ignitions, crazy gimbal control, deep-throttling reality.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

sharkytm posted:

Yeah. Super lean conditions get crazy hot and burn up engine parts. Makes sense.

It was amazing to watch. Musk is a Grade-A rear end in a top hat, but he's managed to accomplish an incredible amount. I'm conflicted. SpaceX is accomplishing tasks in months or years that would take NASA decades. Reuse has gone from a pipe dream (and no the shuttle and SRBs don't count) to a non-news story. Full flow staged combustion has gone from a "never-left-the-ground" idea to a flying rocket with multiple engine ignitions, crazy gimbal control, deep-throttling reality.

SpaceX should get a lot of credit for pushing forward space travel as a whole, it's forced ULA to try and actually compete instead of lobbing satellites into space for $Texas on ancient ICBM technology, and companies like Blue Origin are coming up fast in the race.

The NASA thing is really sad, and a lot of it seems to boil down to every new administration taking whatever they're working on, chucking it in the trash and telling them to develop something new.

Some content:

E:
VVV I also meant to post pretty much this.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 11, 2020

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
musk is a grade-a rear end in a top hat and also a colossal dipshit; spacex's successes aren't due to him, they're due to the actually competent people who are desperately trying to keep elon "no cases by april or whatever dumb poo poo he said" musk from meddling

tesla doesn't do that and it's why they have cars that accelerate into firetrucks so they can transform into fire elementals

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Momma Shotwell runs SpaceX and it shows. Tesla would be an actually cool company if they could get musk away from it. It runs purely on hype.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I thought the flying water tower was how they distract Musk and keep him from loving with the real rockets that take people into space.

Although I remember seeing something recently about how the SpaceX flights are a lot more expensive than previously planned upon so maybe reusable rockets that land doesn't get you anything. Don't quote me on the details on that, I'll have to find it later.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I'm an aerospace guy and have a bunch of close friends who work there. The LA facility is super nice and the folks that work there are serious and do amazing work on tight time-frames. Texas is a career death sentence unless you are in engine development. I think that all stems from https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gwynne_Shotwell

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I went to a zoom presentation by a guy who works at SpaceX. He said he want from graduating from college this year to now being like a pad supervisor or something at Boca Chica.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

bird cooch posted:

I'm an aerospace guy and have a bunch of close friends who work there. The LA facility is super nice and the folks that work there are serious and do amazing work on tight time-frames. Texas is a career death sentence unless you are in engine development. I think that all stems from https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gwynne_Shotwell

yeah gwynne shotwell and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Mueller (and all the other engineers ofc) are the people who deserve all the credit for SpaceX's successes, not Elon.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

yeah gwynne shotwell and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Mueller (and all the other engineers ofc) are the people who deserve all the credit for SpaceX's successes, not Elon.

He just retired. Great guy.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

Sagebrush posted:

I would almost guarantee the green flame was caused by triethylborane and not copper.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

:emptyquote:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

antimatt posted:

I would almost guarantee the green flame was caused by triethylborane and not copper.

Is there any triethylborane in the engine?

Elon suggests no:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1092280273599979520?lang=en

I can't find a picture of the Raptor engine chamber, but this is the Merlin one, so assuming they use similar technology, uh

ima go with green flame = burning engine parts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

Sagebrush posted:

Is there any triethylborane in the engine?

Elon suggests no:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1092280273599979520?lang=en

I can't find a picture of the Raptor engine chamber, but this is the Merlin one, so assuming they use similar technology, uh

ima go with green flame = burning engine parts

Fair enough. I'd swear the previous info I'd read said they were using TEB/TEA for restarts.