Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

So what are the chances that EA will release anything for SteamOS? Or Ubisoft? It seems like both companies spent a lot of time and money on their proprietary engines that only support DirectX and won't be willing to release Linux versions of their games. And those are the two biggest developers of cross-platform games right now. I think if Valve somehow managed to get both of them on board, this SteamOS thing might work out somehow in the long run. But if they don't, it will be a much more difficult uphill battle for them.

A for-real-no-joke Metal Gear Solid game will be coming to PC in this, 2015. I'm not willing to make definitive statements about that kind of poo poo.

But it won't happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ubisoft has traditionally released games on every new platform. I highly doubt EA will touch SteamOS for so long as they refuse to put games on Steam.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

More Shovel Knight news from GDC

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Quest For Glory II posted:

Battletoads?!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Yess YESS YEEESSSSSSSSS
Battle Toads!

XCOM The Bureau is a pretty solid and pretty-looking third person strategy shootgame. You have to manage the entire team all the time, though, so if you want to play it like Doom or Mass Effect something, it's not going to be the game for you.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
Don't get too excited, the toads will likely only be in the XBONE version.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Uhh holy poo poo.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

So strike suit infinity is like two bucks right now. Would I be doing myself a disservice if I just pick that up and ignore zero?

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
Why is some Assetto Corsa DLC right at the top of the Top Sellers list?

quote:

Nurburgring-Nordschleife
McLaren P1 and F1 GTR
Oh, right. :shepspends:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Battletoads was bad you idiots!

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Orv posted:

The arcade version was fun. :colbert:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

RIP Maxis.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Orv posted:

its a good thing its not a battletoads game and you dont have to play as them

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Battletoads Double Dragon was kinda fun in a "Just bang your head against it with a friend to see how far you can get"-kind of way.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Accordion Man posted:

The arcade version was fun. :colbert:

If your definition of fun was having the last level be a 40 minute spaceship slog, sure.

Although judging by your post I'm sure you never got that far. :shepface:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I beat the arcade version with a friend and don't remember it being that sloggy.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Battletoad was great fun!

Short game though. Ends with that rappelling level and doesn't go anywhere afterwards.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

Ubisoft has traditionally released games on every new platform. I highly doubt EA will touch SteamOS for so long as they refuse to put games on Steam.

They just shut down Maxis, and simultaneously announced Sims 4 didn't sell very well. On top of that while Inquisition sold well, it didn't sell anywhere near what EA wanted it to ( they were promising free Dragon Age 1/2 on Origin if Inquisition could hit their base milestones, still hasn't happened. ). This is on top of DA2/ME2/ME3 apparently not being considered much of successes either ( the secret is that while you'd think those games sold well with how much fanfiction they got, they generally got stuck around the 1 millionish mark. Origins has still outsold all the Mass Effect games combined last I checked. )

They cancelled two new Bioware games entirely off of the fact the studio hasn't met expectations, although to be fair it was the multiplayer only thing and the Failbetter collab, so it's not quite a huge loss.

I wonder what happens when Hardline flops. Because gently caress if anyone seems excited for that game/series anymore after how thoroughly EA drove 3/4 into the ground. Hell, Activision can't even keep people excited in Call of Duty anymore according to the numbers of people still playing Advanced Warfare multiplayer.

I wouldn't place any bets on EA sticking to the Origin guns forever. Because so far it hasn't been doing much good for them, and they could probably use some good PR.

Grimby
Sep 12, 2002
EA just likes to kill the things we love. They buy them, make them bad then wonder why people don't want them anymore.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Orv posted:

Shut your mouth.

Arcade version was awesome. :colbert:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The Old Republic flopped, too. EA doesn't really know how to react to success when they see it. DA: Origins was very successful and did better than expectations, and look what they followed that up with. It unsurprisingly tanked. SimCity 4 is very much beloved, and the long awaited followup was something that none of the many, many fans of the previous games wanted. I mean poo poo, it's not like SimCity was some niche series or anything, it was very much mainstream and super popular, I'm not sure why they thought they had to reinvent the wheel and dumb it down for it to continue having mainstream success. To the surprise of no one but the EA execs, it bombed. It's just really frustrating when you see it coming and everyone says ahead of time it's a bad idea, but it gets done anyways and such a long-standing and prestigious studio has to close because of it. gently caress man, RIP Maxis.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Grimby posted:

EA just likes to kill the things we love. They buy them, make them bad then wonder why people don't want them anymore.

They bought Command and Conquer, made some good games, killed it, and then brought it back and did it right, then nuked it before most people even got to discover that they were making Generals 2 correctly. They're crazy people.

E: Speaking of things being killed and resurrected, on the day Maxis dies, Bruce Shelly (Ensemble, Age Of games) shows back up?

Orv fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 4, 2015

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
So i completely missed Borderlands and got a chunk of a wallet card left, which is the version to get?
1 is censored to hell so leaning towards BL2 GOTY, do you need any more important DLCs on top of that?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Rookersh posted:

I wouldn't place any bets on EA sticking to the Origin guns forever. Because so far it hasn't been doing much good for them, and they could probably use some good PR.

They might backpedal on Origin, but until they do I'd be pretty surprised to find EA stuff on SteamOS.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Trick Question posted:

So strike suit infinity is like two bucks right now. Would I be doing myself a disservice if I just pick that up and ignore zero?

Infinity is like an arena/arcade score attack game. It's fun in its own right, and it's just a distilled gameplay experience with no story whatsoever.

Zero has an actual storyline, but the checkpoint system and mission types get really annoying IIRC. I preferred Infinity for whatever's worth.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Grimby posted:

This is what I'm imaging it as, a futuristic Dying Light without zombies and more running. Also, gently caress the night missions in Dying Light.

Out of curiosity, what was wrong with the night missions?

Honestly, after a couple of hours in the game, I had enough skills and weapons and medpacks that the daytime never threatened me at all unless I hosed up or put started putting a bunch of personal limits to make it interesting. Night-time was actually somewhat threatening. The game was a lot more fun to me when night rolled around and I had to start actually using more of my resources, picking my fights, and being a lot more careful about where I ran. The zombie apocalypse setting worked a lot better at night, when I had to pay proper attention to all the mechanics and it actually felt as dangerous as the NPCs jabbered about it being. I hated the forced night stuff at first, but once I got into it, I ended up waiting until night-time because doing stuff was a whole bunch more fun when I was planning escape routes and actually getting into danger.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

sauer kraut posted:

So i completely missed Borderlands and got a chunk of a wallet card left, which is the version to get?
1 is censored to hell so leaning towards BL2 GOTY, do you need any more important DLCs on top of that?

Not everyone likes it. I got the second one at some holiday sale and it's one of the only steam purchases I really regret. If you don't mind terrible grindfest MMO droprates in your single player FPS game though go nuts! Also bazillions of guns! You can carry 5!

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Orv posted:

They bought Command and Conquer, made some good games, killed it, and then brought it back and did it right, then nuked it before most people even got to discover that they were making Generals 2 correctly. They're crazy people.

E: Speaking of things being killed and resurrected, on the day Maxis dies, Bruce Shelly (Ensemble, Age Of games) shows back up?

Making the series into a P2W F2P shitfest isn't doing it correctly.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Rookersh posted:

They cancelled two new Bioware games entirely off of the fact the studio hasn't met expectations, although to be fair it was the multiplayer only thing and the Failbetter collab, so it's not quite a huge loss.

the failbetter collab was the DA3 facebook game.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

sauer kraut posted:

If you play the games with friends, it's a much better experience, and that goes for all of them.

I loved the first game when it first came out, but the second is just better all around. Remember though, a Bazillion guns actually means a lot of the same guns with just one small difference, which to me is fine depending on how you play the game. I'd get GOTY for 11 bucks (in fact I just did). The Pre-Sequel is great too, except for the fact that it's really buggy since the last update.

MooCowlian posted:

Out of curiosity, what was wrong with the night missions?

Honestly, after a couple of hours in the game, I had enough skills and weapons and medpacks that the daytime never threatened me at all unless I hosed up or put started putting a bunch of personal limits to make it interesting. Night-time was actually somewhat threatening. The game was a lot more fun to me when night rolled around and I had to start actually using more of my resources, picking my fights, and being a lot more careful about where I ran. The zombie apocalypse setting worked a lot better at night, when I had to pay proper attention to all the mechanics and it actually felt as dangerous as the NPCs jabbered about it being. I hated the forced night stuff at first, but once I got into it, I ended up waiting until night-time because doing stuff was a whole bunch more fun when I was planning escape routes and actually getting into danger.

When I started Dying Light, the first few nights I wouldn't venture far from safe zones, and wouldn't dare go for the night drops. I then decided the game would be much more tense trying to stay out all night, every night, and pretty soon I would stay out, collect the drop, get chased on purpose a few times, and go back to the safe house during the day. Playing at night really shows off the greatness of the game.

ScentOfAnOtaku fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 4, 2015

Orv
May 4, 2011

Deakul posted:

Making the series into a P2W F2P shitfest isn't doing it correctly.

Eh, I don't know about that, but it moved and played like Generals and I will never forgive them for that.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

If you're playing BL2 on PC, the first thing to do is head over to the thread and grab the drop rate CE thing and crank it way up. Once you've got over that, it's a fun game. The humour doesn't work for some people, but by far the biggest problem is how difficult it is to get fun guns at appropriate levels. Between drop rate tweaks and the save editor, you can skip all the grindy bits and go straight to the bazillions of guns bits.

It's more fun than the pre-sequel, which has less stuff, more sitting around and not shooting your guns, much the same drop rate issues and the (imo) largely misguided floaty movement and oxygen management.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Rookersh posted:

This is on top of DA2/ME2/ME3 apparently not being considered much of successes either ( the secret is that while you'd think those games sold well with how much fanfiction they got, they generally got stuck around the 1 millionish mark. Origins has still outsold all the Mass Effect games combined last I checked. )

The failure of bioware games just came up in the inquisition thread too. Where are you getting sales information from?

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

I've had Enemy Unknown for a while but never played it. Is the complete bundle still worth it for the other DLCs or should I just get Enemy Within?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I thought it was pretty good to get the skins pack. Like, one of the few times I'd say it's worth it to spend a buck and make your guys look unique-ish. The other one with teh Asian dude and mission pack was prety loving lame, I'd not waste my money unless it was included in a pack as a free add on.

Thingyman posted:

The failure of bioware games just came up in the inquisition thread too. Where are you getting sales information from?

Games' journalists.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

The Pre-Sequel is great too

please keep this sentence in mind as you consider this poster's advice

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Grimby posted:

Pirates, gotta be all those pirates.

Light Gun Man posted:

Not everyone likes it. I got the second one at some holiday sale and it's one of the only steam purchases I really regret. If you don't mind terrible grindfest MMO droprates in your single player FPS game though go nuts! Also bazillions of guns! You can carry 5!

Yeah, your problem there is that you didn't play it with friends. Play it with friends and it's a fun game. I'm playing as a psycho and I barely even use my guns except briefly in-between times I'm going buzz-axe bugnuts.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Please do not give Gearbox money.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

More GDC game announcements, on the indie side

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAzTKDslDDM

This looks interesting. I'm not big on survival games, but the survival elements in this one look to be built-into the concept. I'll keep an eye on it, but my purchase will depend mostly on whether there's actually a victory state you can reach. If it's just a matter of "survive as long as possible but you will die eventually", I probably won't be interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Awesome! posted:

please keep this sentence in mind as you consider this poster's advice

It's the simple things that reveal the nature of monsters.

• Locked thread