Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Jithendra posted:

This was definitely not the case in SM, I can confirm. The male parent has a 50% chance of passing down the pokeball, provided that you're breeding with the same species, so you can breed the ball down from the father if you want. I did that plenty of times myself.

But since the Nidorans are not the same species... yeah, probably not.
I know pokeballs are 50/50. What I said is that Hidden Abilities are not. If it's not with ditto, males have no chance of passing down HAs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
No,I think males can pass down with a non ha female.... But since nidoM and nidoF are differing species we can't use those methods.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Kurieg posted:

No,I think males can pass down with a non ha female.... But since nidoM and nidoF are differing species we can't use those methods.
if they can, then the chance of it happening is a lot smaller.
I was breeding HA male mareanie with a non-HA female one, and I got 2 boxes worth of non-HA eggs. When I bred the HA male with a ditto, it took 3 eggs for one with the correct ability to appear.

Jithendra
May 23, 2009

Blaziken386 posted:

I know pokeballs are 50/50. What I said is that Hidden Abilities are not. If it's not with ditto, males have no chance of passing down HAs.

Oh no, you're right then, I misread the post because of the larger discussion about pokeballs. There is no chance for the male to pass on the HA unless it's bred with a Ditto, unless they just changed that mechanic for USUM. I haven't tested that yet or heard anything about changes.

What I was trying to say is: with most gendered pokemon, it should be possible to breed a female with the HA with a male with the desired pokeball to get the combination you want. But that won't work with Nidorans because of the species requirement.

...Of course even when you get the right combination down, there's no way to guarantee the HA will pass on, so you can still end up with a shiny with the wrong ability, like poor Snowblind the shiny Vulpix, who has been languishing in my box until now. But at least I can take him through story mode.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

There's a neat callback/reference to Mystery Dungeon in the Aether House! also the Aether House in general is a lot bigger and more impressive now

Oceanic Operetta being a giant Spirit Bomb is excellent though

Carlosologist fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Nov 22, 2017

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Pokemon_cojp/status/933168170075959296

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

... the gently caress?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
its called a commercial

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Yes but a commercial for what? is this like, a gba game data retrieval or something?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

don't leave your old pals trapped in their games, move them up if you have the means I guess is the message there

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I think the idea is

'hey, remember when you played Pokemon? You can bring those pokemon to the new games your kids love and connect with them.'

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

this commercial is great

i found my old gb carts the other day and tried to fire them up on my old gba... no dice. my original pokemon are now ghosts in lavender tower...

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Zore posted:

I think the idea is

'hey, remember when you played Pokemon? You can bring those pokemon to the new games your kids love and connect with them.'
Yeah, and if you follow the link, it's telling you how to transfer poo poo up through all the generations.

Which is nice except for how horribly limited the pre-Pokebank transfer methods were. Hope you like moving stuff 6 at a time and wasting time with minigames! :shepface:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Gen 4-5-6 is actually relatively painless (besides the part where you need 2 consoles...) I know because i made a mass exodus of Pokémon from platinum to ORAS a while back and it really did not take forever at all.

Now moving from GBA to DS though, that is the poo poo. There's where you will have to engage with the horrors of pal park.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
which is the one where you have to hit the pokemon with pokeball arrows in the shittiest minigame imaginable

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

which is the one where you have to hit the pokemon with pokeball arrows in the shittiest minigame imaginable

4-5.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Hey look at this! It's your best friend for the past 3 years?

HE DOESN'T REMEMBER YOU! CHAIN HIM AGAIN TO YOUR WILL!

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I’ve been considering doing a big dumb transfer chain starting with gen 3 because I really want a softboiled clefable

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

ROFL Octopus posted:

I’ve been considering doing a big dumb transfer chain starting with gen 3 because I really want a softboiled clefable

With or without Magic Guard?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Star Man posted:

With or without Magic Guard?

With

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

glhf

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

USUM sold pretty well in Japan, coming in second for third versions behind B2W2.

A solid debut, especially in such a fallow year for the 3DS.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

On a whim I fired up my copy of Fire Red on the off chance that I had a magic guard Clef*.

I'm not sure precisely what happened to it but the game save is now "roflcopt" with a SEEN of 2 and a sole owned pokemon of a level 2 rattata.

So yeah you're on your own.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Just like Vikavolt, Crabominable can be obtained earlier in USUM than in SM as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWa4usqoOAg

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

should change its evo location, to a trash can

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

He doesn't mention the other new evolution method of getting Kanto Raichu, Marowak and Exeggutor by evolving them in Ultra Space.

DanZX
May 5, 2015

It’s been a long time since I actually played a pokemon game and I want to explore everything.

Can you goons give me some advice about events that are kind of hidden, be it because of day or night cycles, or pokemons in your party or whatever?

I don’t want to spoil everyone or anything like that, I just want to be able to experience everything in Alola, but with my job and family sometimes playing at specific hours is kind of hard.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

DanZX posted:

It’s been a long time since I actually played a pokemon game and I want to explore everything.

Can you goons give me some advice about events that are kind of hidden, be it because of day or night cycles, or pokemons in your party or whatever?

I don’t want to spoil everyone or anything like that, I just want to be able to experience everything in Alola, but with my job and family sometimes playing at specific hours is kind of hard.

The question about hidden events might be hard, because USUM added a ton of little flavor-building sidequests. I'm still discovering a lot of them.

DanZX
May 5, 2015

BearDrivingTruck posted:

The question about hidden events might be hard, because USUM added a ton of little flavor-building sidequests. I'm still discovering a lot of them.

Yeah, every time I move the plot I try to talk with everyone in the island.
I’m still in Melemele and there’s lots of cool things to see like at the pokemon school

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I don't understand why they didn't make Bank work for the 4th gen games the way they did for 5th gen

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

There was probably some stuff under the hood in Gen 5 that made it possible that wasn't in gen 4 because Bank wasn't even being planned at that point.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
I miss Gunk Shot's old animation of throwing a trash can.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Same. So much

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

There was probably some stuff under the hood in Gen 5 that made it possible that wasn't in gen 4 because Bank wasn't even being planned at that point.

There is some method to get pokemon out of the gen 4 games that they would be able to tech into, otherwise you couldn't transfer to B/W

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Kurieg posted:

There is some method to get pokemon out of the gen 4 games that they would be able to tech into, otherwise you couldn't transfer to B/W

Gen 4's transfer to 5th required two systems and the source system to have a DS-native download play app to access the 4th gen cart data. It's quite possible that there was no way for a 3DS app (like PokeTransfer) to access the data directly. I believe 5th gen as a whole had a special memory space on the cart just for same-system 3DS access. It's how Dream Radar worked for BW2.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Entered the Hall of Fame in Sun! Here's my team:

Wolliam Tell, Lv. 51 Decidueye Because I wanted to go on similar lines to Robin Hoot, but with a different archer, and a reference to how Winnie the Pooh's Owl signs his name "WOL". A good borb. Amusingly, had the highest special attack on the team despite being primarily a physical attacker, which led to him having both Leaf Blade and Energy Ball (having a nature that dumped Attack was irritating, but this made up for it a bit). As well as Spirit Shackle and a bit of coverage with Pluck.

Dis Guy, Lv. 51 Mimikyu Dis guy's in disguise. The first of the team's "ringers", brought in as an egg from Sun because screw having to try and get a 5% chance to proc in the Thrifty Megamart. Bred from Ghost Trick, my competitive Mimikyu, to have a Jolly nature and a maxed Speed IV. Ironically also full of egg moves, which meant he didn't learn a proper attack until Shadow Sneak at Level 14. But it worked out. And Disguise is an amazing ability for tanking stuff, holy poo poo. Lost count of the number of times the AI Z-Moved straight into it.

Bug Bertha, Lv. 51 Golisopod A second ringer, because there's so few Wimpod capture opportunities in the game. This time bred with Adamant and maxed attack (also with Aqua Jet as an egg move), and holy poo poo does she hit like the proverbial freight train. First Impression was very much my go-to problem solving move. Won a number of fun duels with Guzma's Golisopod.

Goldilocks, Lv. 52 Dugtrio-A Dugtrio is my all time favourite pokemon, so when I couldn't fit Dugtrio-A into my Moon team (sorry, but Boxer the Mudsdale had tied down that spot), I had to get one in here. Very much a glass cannon, but whenever she got knocked down she got right back up again. Played a huge role in taking out Kukui for the title, she must've eliminated half his team.

Collier, Lv. 51 Lycanroc-Midday Wanted one ever since I fought Kukui in Moon. A good pupper, and Accelerock is a very nice move to have up your sleeve. Being the only mon on my team to actually resist fire was very useful at times, too.

Aurora, Lv. 51 Ninetales-A A late arrival to the team, and the final ringer. I felt bad for leaving out Plug Life the Charjabug before heading off to Po Town, but while Charjabug is a great design I just wasn't feeling evolving him at Vast Poni Canyon, and I kind of wanted to mix things up a little having had the same team since leaving Melemele. Catching a Vulpix-A, trading back to moon for Freeze Dry and Timid/maxed Speed IV breeding shenanigans gave me Aurora, and she's been a very cute and cool fox as the team's only dedicated special attacker (even though Wolliam Tell has better special attack!).

Honourable mention for Plug Life the aforementioned Charjabug, a hard worker with a varied movepool.

Good times, good times. I was hilariously underlevelled for Kukui, it turned into a hell of a fight.

For reference, here's a chart of all my Hall of Fame teams so far:

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 22, 2017

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Ziddar posted:

Gen 4's transfer to 5th required two systems and the source system to have a DS-native download play app to access the 4th gen cart data. It's quite possible that there was no way for a 3DS app (like PokeTransfer) to access the data directly. I believe 5th gen as a whole had a special memory space on the cart just for same-system 3DS access. It's how Dream Radar worked for BW2.

It couldn't have been that hard to figure out how to pull it out of Box 1 or whatever the way it does for RBYGS, or like one of those save editing programs do

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
But then what would be the main selling point for Diamond and Pearl Switch?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Dehry posted:

But then what would be the main selling point for Diamond and Pearl Switch?

It was the best gen - it's the only selling point you need. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!
Out of curiosity, how does Roto-Friendship work exactly? The others are fairly self explanatory, but that one just says it boosts friendship. Does it just give a flat boost to that score, or increase gains, or what? I've tried googling and have found nothing concrete, and I wanted to know before I used the ones I nabbed on my friendship evos to maximize it.