Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Bootcha posted:

Would you recommend doing that with hot'n'sour soup? That's my next new recipe attempt.

I probably wouldn't do it for hot and sour soup, which has a very distinct flavor that may be overshadowed by the smokiness of the hock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Feenix posted:

How hot is too hot? I let it cool to like, I guess, body temperature because it felt neither hot nor cold to the touch...

Hmm I suppose that if you're cooling it down that far, you might just want to find a different recipe. I of course haven't made the recipe in question but in the past I've found some flan recipes so unbearably eggy in flavor and just switched recipes to one one using fewer yolks. When you're working with such a simple recipe, an egg yolk or two less can make a huge difference. Or a big splash of vanilla or amaretto or citrus.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

al-azad posted:

Unless the package explicitly says sweet it's likely the sour variety. Sweet tamarind is grown in a specific province making it more expensive and generally eaten as a snack while sour pods are used for cooking.

awesome, thanks! i should try making some phad thai too if i'm going through the trouble of making tamarind paste

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

al-azad posted:

There is a different flavor profile. Cumin seeds are a little astringent while the powder has a muskiness to it. I've never added them simultaneously so maybe that lady just really loves cumin.

That lady has the right idea.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Pretty basic Molecular Gastronomy question - not sure if there is a better thread for this!

I have to do a little 'fun' presentation of my choice for a work teambuilding event and thought that a minor food science demo might be fun. I was looking at spherification - making popable boba-type balls.

I'm looking at this kit here: https://www.amazon.com/Spherification-Molecular-Gastronomy-Certified-Ingredients/dp/B008657GS0/ (I know I could just buy the chemicals but this seems easier and I can get it right away, and this has to be done next week).

Is the science behind this as easy as it seems? I'd order it now, test on the weekend, and present on Wednesday. I was thinking I'd like to try fruit juice, wine, and coffee, but lack the science know-how to tell which, if any, of these ingredients might be too acidic for the "magic" to work?

Also - do I really need a custom Spherification straining spoon (https://www.amazon.com/Albert-y-Ferran-Adria-Spherification/dp/B00HLM2TW2/) or can I just use a tea strainer?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Do you want spherification or reverse spherification? The former makes jelly balls, which can be any size up to bigger than normal boba. The latter either makes a delightful "boba popper" style with liquid inside, or fails disappointingly.

I've only tried them with this kit which is horribly overpriced but it was fun. Spherification worked flawlessly using a syringe to make small balls, about the size of dippn dots, for everything I tried. I tried reverse twice and it failed both times in different ways - once the walls were too thin so they leaked and didn't have the gushers effect, and the second time they jelled all the way through so not really reverse anymore. Both edible but disappointing.

Spherification doesn't make anything with as strong a consistency as boba, by the way. They'll be more like jello. I personally prefer the small size using a syringe. As far as other equipment goes, I'd say any strainer would work as long as it doesn't have sharp wires that might cut up the spheres.

This chef steps site seems to go into pH considerations for different liquids: https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/the-science-of-spherification?context=spherification

The best thing I can say to you is that the whole process doesn't take very long so you can test, adjust, and test again fairly quickly.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yoooo so garlic powder vs minced garlic etc...? Any difference?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Yoooo so garlic powder vs minced garlic etc...? Any difference?

Very different flavor. Also, the powder has already been "cooked", whereas the minced can be used at various levels of raw.

If I want to make something really garlic-y, like garlic bread, I use both.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Minced garlic generally means fresh garlic that you chopped. Fresh garlic will always taste stronger and better than preserved or dried garlic. I think garlic powder/granules and other forms of dried garlic have a sort of garlicky undertone like you'd get in a soup broth but none of the strong bite I expect from real garlic. I think the minced garlic from a jar tastes more like cheap garlic bread from bad pizza places - it is kinda garlicky but really unsatisfying.

If you really want to understand the difference, taste them side by side - toss the same amount of fresh / dry / canned in three different pats of butter, heat up for a couple of minutes, spread on toast. Drink or eat something fatty in between toasts for palate cleansing, ideally.

For bonus points compare minced garlic against garlic crushed in a garlic press (which I think tastes worse).

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah that all makes perfect sense. I guess now that I’m diving head first into cooking/being creative like a big boy and enjoying nice things I gotta stop being a pleb

I assumed garlic pressing was what the cool kids were doing though

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Pontius Pilate posted:

That lady has the right idea.

Cumin is the Best Spice, but I was mainly thinking why use powder and seeds, instead of just more seeds which are way tastier.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The quality of the source also matters a lot. McCormick's garlic powder is just vaguely garlicish, but I really like Penzey's. They also have a totally different roasted garlic powder that's A++++.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Now I’m conflicted

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

In my experience garlic pressing is what people do because they think it'll be faster than chopping the garlic but then it takes a month to clean the press and they are wrong.

The pro move is a slap chop equivalent.

And yes, there's an infinitely deep subculture of spice snobbery. If you're just getting started with cooking then don't worry too much about it as long as your spices are newish (the decade old spices at my parents house all taste like absolutely nothing at all). Become a snob later once you get overconfident like the rest of us.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Penzey's has an unbelievable amount of samples. Are you near one? Sign up for their newsletter, which is almost Dr. Bronner's-ish but will keep you updated on samples, and then when you see something interesting, you can go by and replace one of your old spices and get the free samples. Repeat for a year or so and your cabinet will be overflowing.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Do I need to boil potatoes before I bake them?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

obi_ant posted:

No

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I assumed garlic pressing was what the cool kids were doing though

Smash the garlic clove using the flat side of your knife, pick the skin out, and then chop. Takes like two seconds once you have it down.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

obi_ant posted:

No, but if you're super lazy you can nuke em first and toss em in the oven quick to get a crispy skin

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Casu Marzu posted:

No, but if you're super lazy you can nuke em first and toss em in the oven quick to get a crispy skin

This seems like more work and you still have to heat up your oven

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

camoseven posted:

It's somewhat faster.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Anne Whateley posted:

Penzey's has an unbelievable amount of samples. Are you near one? Sign up for their newsletter, which is almost Dr. Bronner's-ish but will keep you updated on samples, and then when you see something interesting, you can go by and replace one of your old spices and get the free samples. Repeat for a year or so and your cabinet will be overflowing.

Penzey's is the best spice company in the US. I've used them for over as decade now and have never gotten a bad batch. Once or twice a year, I need a spice right now and grab a jar of McCormick's or Spice Islands from my local grocery store. I'm always disappointed. Nostalgia, you absolutely should check out their site on penzeys.com.

They're especially great for new cooks because their spice mixes are outstanding. It takes a long time to learn what spices--and what proportion of spices--go together. Their spices mixes, like Lemon Pepper, BBQ 3000, and Chili 3000, are spot on and easy to use.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Best brand of harissa? I've never had it. There are a million recipes for making your own, but I want to try the real thing (and a good brand of the real thing) so I know what mine should taste like.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

legendof posted:

In my experience garlic pressing is what people do because they think it'll be faster than chopping the garlic but then it takes a month to clean the press and they are wrong.

It's what lots of celebrity chefs do in their videos because it makes things look quick and easy and they don't have to clean it themselves afterwards. In reality I think it's a pretty pointless device for the exact reason that you said. It's way easier to chop something quickly and then clean a flat knife than it is to clean some devil designed piece of poo poo with a million holes and corners. And you're going to be using a knife anyway so just keep using it

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
I don't have any problem cleaning a garlic press. I give it a quick rinse after I'm done using it, then throw it in the dishwasher at the end of the night.

I use this garlic press.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Chopsticks aren't just for eating, they're also a handy cleaning device.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

al-azad posted:

Chopsticks aren't just for eating, they're also a handy cleaning device.

I use them instead of toothpicks for testing baked goods for doneness.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Hello thread. I'm looking for a recipe suggestion and this seems like the right place.

I'd like to make a chocolate-based dessert for my wife's birthday. This would technically need to serve only 2, but leftovers are a-OK by us. Ideally, it would be a frosted chocolate cake (her favourite) although it doesn't have to be some monstrous multi-layer affair. Individual serving desserts would be just fine too.

Few things to keep in mind:

1) I've made desserts before, but they've been of the cookie/pie/cobbler/crumble variety which usually don't require a lot of... structure
2) I do not have a stand mixer (but I do have a handheld one)
3) She haaaates coconut

So far I've found this one from Serious Eats (I made a lot of good stuff from there) as well as this and this from OP's link. I'm totally open to your suggestions, so please fire away with any favourites that come to mind. Thanks!

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Smitten Kitchen's red wine chocolate cake is incredible. It doesn't actually taste like red wine once cooked, just a moist cake with a super deep chocolate flavor.

https://smittenkitchen.com/2011/09/red-wine-chocolate-cake/

It's super easy, will make enough for leftovers, and is one of the best chocolate cakes I have ever had.

Edit: Same day is great, but it is actually even better the next day. The first day you can kinda tell that there is/was alcohol in it, by the second day, that is totally gone. Either make it a day ahead, or love it the fist day, and be pleasantly surprised when having leftovers.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 12, 2018

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
For a regular cake, you don't need a stand mixer or even really a hand mixer. You want to avoid overbeating. A regular chocolate cake is extremely doable, but if you want to be a lil fancy and you don't care about being #basic when it's delicious, you can do chocolate lava cakes. ATK recipe on a random blog. You can break out the hand mixer for this one. Serve with ice cream and/or real whipped cream.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
This is a simple chocolate fudge cake that I really like:

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/6652/naughty-chocolate-fudge-cake

The cake itself is light, fluffy, very easy to make, and makes a good base for other types of cake too. I like making two layers, then putting banana and pastry cream in the middle, and ganache over the top.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

camoseven posted:

really curious how you would get a baked potato without heating your oven up

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Elizabethan Error posted:

Microwave.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Thank you all for the dessert recommendations! One of those will definitely work.

And since baked potatoes came up:

Mitch Hedberg posted:

I like baked potatoes, man. I don't have a microwave oven; it takes forever to cook a baked potato in a conventional oven. Sometimes I'll just throw one in there, even if I don't want one, because by the time it's done....who knows? I'll throw a potato in and go on vacation.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

LOL, great description, I immediately knew exactly what you meant.

Bagheera posted:

Best brand of harissa? I've never had it. There are a million recipes for making your own, but I want to try the real thing (and a good brand of the real thing) so I know what mine should taste like.

I couldn't tell you, the place I go has almost no English on the labels.

I've seen Bobby Flay use this stuff that comes in a toothpaste tube, but all the ones available to me are in a jar or a can. I've always been a little disappointed in the actual amount of pepper flavor in these, I think they are mostly used for thickening and color, sort of like tomato paste. Oh, and salt, they are usually super salty.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Elizabethan Error posted:

I was replying to a suggestion that you put them in the microwave first and then put them in the conventional over for just a few minutes

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Trabant posted:

Thank you all for the dessert recommendations! One of those will definitely work.

No matter what you do, zest a touch of orange on top or do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Bf7MW0C5lg

I don't do fancy poo poo or garnishes every day, but it's nice to make it feel special :)

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Chipotle Adobo sauce on brisket?

2 weeks ago, I posted about homemade pastrami. I bought a 5 pound cut of brisket and brined it (Salt, brown sugar, pepper, coriander, garlic, allspice) for four days. Following a Chef John recipe, I rubbed it with a spice rub, triple wrapped it in aluminum foil, and baked it at 225 for 6 hours.

It was amazing. I've never been to NYC, so I probably have no idea what "real" pastrami tastes like. But my pastrami was a million times better than the pound of Boar's Head* I bought for comparison.

Brisket's on sale again this week. I'm going to make another dish with chipotles. I'll have leftover chipotles and adobo sauce. Would using adobo sauce in place of the pastrami rub work well? I know it won't taste like pastrami, but I imagine it would taste good. What would you mix with the adobo to enrich the flavor?

*Side note: Boar's Head sucks. It's better than the generic Kroger/Publix/Albertson's brand deli meat, but it's nothing like going to a good, quality deli. People talk about it like it's haute cuisine, when it's really just a step above the basic poo poo.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Bagheera posted:

*Side note: Boar's Head sucks. It's better than the generic Kroger/Publix/Albertson's brand deli meat, but it's nothing like going to a good, quality deli. People talk about it like it's haute cuisine, when it's really just a step above the basic poo poo.

This is true for almost all of the "gourmet" brands. The sooner you realize that, the more you make yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
If I buy a rotisserie chicken today (Saturday), bring it home, and break it down into breasts, thighs, etc, will it last through Wednesday in sealed containers?