Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

indigi posted:

what’s the Marxist position on not cleaning the snow off your loving car then driving on the highway? instant execution?

THS posted:

you’re thinking about it wrong. the marxist position is everyone takes the train

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
e:doublepost

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Now THAT's what I call a snow piercer

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Torpor posted:

the Wolff man is big in china, thats mildly amusing.
lol what the gently caress

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Broke: Wolf Warrior diplomacy

Woke: Dick Wolff economics

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Torpor posted:

the Wolff man is big in china, thats mildly amusing.

I wonder how well the righteous indignation translates. Cuz that’s like half his bit.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
https://mobile.twitter.com/barista__morg/status/1339254784503685120

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Mr. Lobe posted:

I wonder how many public intellectuals talk about Marxism as a practical political philosophy in China

I'm sure many talk about it as a state religion, but that's like the difference between trade unionism and academic Marxism

iirc you have the party theoreticians who treat it pretty seriously and are a sort of remnant of maoist thinking? like the ones who think strikes happening in the economic zones are cool and good and they defend it to the rest of the party

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

dead gay comedy forums posted:

iirc you have the party theoreticians who treat it pretty seriously and are a sort of remnant of maoist thinking? like the ones who think strikes happening in the economic zones are cool and good and they defend it to the rest of the party

Do those people have their hands on the levers of power? Or are they just academics?

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Do those people have their hands on the levers of power? Or are they just academics?

They are one of a number of factions, in this case probably mostly affiliated with the youth communist league faction.

If I remember correctly, some of the reason Xi getting elected was seen as a departure from the previous norm is that supposedly he like broke that a little bit, rather than him personally being a compromise choice of them all.

But also that might just be sour grapes from populists and he's just a typical elitist/reformer and his ascendancy is just intentional alternating of power after Hu Jintao's administration (which was populist/youth communist league).

If you want to read about internal factionalism in the modern era, there's a bunch of English material related to the Bo Xilai arrest since it was pretty high profile and reported on internationally.

So leftist theoreticians are around, though the coalition that really pushes their agenda isn't currently in power. But that changes every ten years or so and it's not like they're being purged so there's no reason to think their influence won't continue to ebb and flow back to them at some point.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

comedyblissoption posted:

lol what the gently caress

the article says "some" videos have some multiple of some wolff youtubes, which could mean as little as like 80k views. i don't think he's gonna end up like jerry lewis in france

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

unbutthurtable posted:

They are one of a number of factions, in this case probably mostly affiliated with the youth communist league faction.

If I remember correctly, some of the reason Xi getting elected was seen as a departure from the previous norm is that supposedly he like broke that a little bit, rather than him personally being a compromise choice of them all.

But also that might just be sour grapes from populists and he's just a typical elitist/reformer and his ascendancy is just intentional alternating of power after Hu Jintao's administration (which was populist/youth communist league).

I think Hu's tenure is what really broke traditional assumptions about how the CCP operates. Hu was suppose to be a populist, but his reign is anything was marked by an expansion of cowboy capitalism and improved relations with the West. If anything since Hu has left, Xi moved the party to a more state-centric/anti-Western position.

Xi himself is still a reformer rather than a radical like Bo but I would say a lot of it is about structuring the Chinese economy in a more sustainable demand-driven fashion which is somewhere in-between.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

https://twitter.com/bingus_enjoyer/status/1339568073603489792

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I've often wondered if the story about the Romanovs deflecting gunshots with the jewelry they stashed under their clothes as they fled has any truth to it

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Happy birthday, Uncle Joe.

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

Ardennes posted:

I think Hu's tenure is what really broke traditional assumptions about how the CCP operates. Hu was suppose to be a populist, but his reign is anything was marked by an expansion of cowboy capitalism and improved relations with the West. If anything since Hu has left, Xi moved the party to a more state-centric/anti-Western position.

Xi himself is still a reformer rather than a radical like Bo but I would say a lot of it is about structuring the Chinese economy in a more sustainable demand-driven fashion which is somewhere in-between.

Okay, yeah, that's fair -- I'm coming at it more from an origin-story perspective with Hu, but you're right (as evidenced by what China's economy is like now).

And yeah, I don't think it's part of some master plan of Xi's for the imposition of the next phase of communism or whatever...but it's absolutely the smart move given how fickle and unpredictable American administrations are going to be on trade to develop their own consumer base. One thing is makes me wonder is what the implications of having a, basically, less globalized economy will be. When I was in poli sci classes in college it was like a shibboleth (not 100% sure i'm using that term right) that two countries with a significant economic interdependence would go to war. I think the example that was used was that no two countries with McDonald's ever went to war. The PRC moving in a more consumer-focused direction might reduce that interdependence. Could be bullshit, who knows.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/WSWS_Updates/status/1340274222816522240

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47cf-UgOrkM

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/catalyst_theory/status/1340689608267448320?s=19

Another public intellectual dead of covid

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

This is a good article thank you for sharing it. RIP to the author

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

unbutthurtable posted:

When I was in poli sci classes in college it was like a shibboleth (not 100% sure i'm using that term right) that two countries with a significant economic interdependence would go to war. I think the example that was used was that no two countries with McDonald's ever went to war.

This is literally Tom Friedman lol.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I got told that in social studies as a teenager and even then I remember thinking it was such a pointless statement. Just both wrong and saying nothing on so many levels.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
thats just because you didn't have the moustache of understanding

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What about Armenia and Azerbaijan, Tom

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

What about Armenia and Azerbaijan

https://asbarez.com/159933/mcdonald...20in%20Armenia.

quote:

February 7, 2017
YEREVAN (Arka)—Sanjay Mistry, spokesman for McDonald’s chain of restaurants in Europe, denying the rumors going around, told Novosti-Armenia that McDonald’s had “no intention” to open restaurants in Armenia.

Media sources have recently reported that Temur Chkonia, a Georgian businessmen and owner of McDonald’s Georgia franchise and head of Coca Cola Bottlers Georgia, has already received a license for opening restaurants in Armenia and that he will arrivein Yerevan in the next few days for this purpose.

Chkonia said that McDonald’s Georgia, as a branch of McDonald’s, can enter Armenia’s market, if they sign a contract.

Mistry said that before opening a restaurant in any country McDonald’s considers and analyzes appropriate economic and business factors. At the moment, he said, there are no plans to open restaurants in Armenia.

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

Prince Myshkin posted:

This is literally Tom Friedman lol.

lol this is like such a lesson in ideology and hegemony. That it seemed like a truism of an entire field of study, but was just the deranged musings of one dumb prick, is such an indictment

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

what if one of those combination pizza hut and taco bells opened in yerevan and then the war became a mcdonals-yumfoods proxy conflict which ultimately became so significant it was known as the Franchise Wars and culminated in every restaurant in the world being a taco bell and we wiped our buttholes with shells

just something for the marxism thread to think about

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

unbutthurtable posted:

what if one of those combination pizza hut and taco bells opened in yerevan and then the war became a mcdonals-yumfoods proxy conflict which ultimately became so significant it was known as the Franchise Wars and culminated in every restaurant in the world being a taco bell and we wiped our buttholes with shells

just something for the marxism thread to think about

nice cyberpunk games tangent thread

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

while obviously not true to a rule does it not imply that capitalist hegemony is more powerful than nation-states, something i think a lot of us agree with

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ah dang I got owned

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

I'm in Nagorno/I'm in Karabakh/I'm in the combination Nagorno-Karabakh

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i say swears online posted:

while obviously not true to a rule does it not imply that capitalist hegemony is more powerful than nation-states, something i think a lot of us agree with

i dont actually agree with that, certainly not at the level of a multinational corporation, anyway. overall, probably they are, but most of their power is in influencing nations to enact their agenda, like how the united states spends a lot of time beating up Central America for daring to pass minimum wage laws. you could say that means the capitalists as a class are more powerful than nations, but i'd say its more that capitalists also happen to run nations

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

i dont actually agree with that, certainly not at the level of a multinational corporation, anyway. overall, probably they are, but most of their power is in influencing nations to enact their agenda, like how the united states spends a lot of time beating up Central America for daring to pass minimum wage laws. you could say that means the capitalists as a class are more powerful than nations, but i'd say its more that capitalists also happen to run nations

i guess it's all in tandem. you could use the same example with dole banana, just backed up by the marines, but yeah i'm not talking about specific companies

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Algund Eenboom posted:

I'm in Nagorno/I'm in Karabakh/I'm in the combination Nagorno-Karabakh

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
that’s only because multinationals are kept in line by a robust (though shallow) set of laws.

Choosing to obey those laws and outsourcing both protection and governance to the relevant national authority is cheaper for the capitalists at the moment than hiring/training/maintaining their own private McMarines

they have the resources and capabilities, but it has to be interesting to their bottom line

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

LittleBlackCloud posted:

What was the deal with anti-semitism in the USSR? Are there any good books about it?

i read this in the seinfeld voice

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

georgia is gettin' upset!!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i have a suspicion that he's converted to communism purely for the jokes

"and this offends you as a communist?"

no, it offends me as a poster!

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

sometimes I think about the standing armies that Coca-Cola and Nestlé have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

LittleBlackCloud posted:

What was the deal with anti-semitism in the USSR? Are there any good books about it?

there's this chapter of History and Criticism of a Black Legend http://www.readmarxeveryday.org/stalin/losurdo-en-20180311.html#heading51