Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

anglachel posted:

I fully expect we will see the Shocklands return as a rare cycle.

nah, they'll hold onto those to sell return to return to ravnica or some other set

quote:

The biggest part of this story is that they've established that planar travel by non planeswalkers is possible again. So long as it's not "organic matter". So artifact creatures could travel using Kaladesh tech, or weird oil........

all they established is that teleportation is possible on kaladesh, actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

C-Euro posted:

Just reprint Cavern period TIA

Shocks would be cool but if they get reprinted I want to see them "located" on planes other than Ravnica. Give me a Hallowed Fountain on Bant, or a Stomping Ground on Zendikar, or whatever.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

anglachel posted:

Cavern of Souls at Rare or Mythic is the real question? Snapcaster the Blue mythic, Lilly the Black one, Goyf as the Green One (again, maybe they will not reprint Goyf again), Goblin Guide as the Red Mythic, and Thalia as the White mythic?

They've never upgraded a card to mythic from the mythic era that wasn't mythic before. Anything from Alara onward has either stayed its same rarity or been downgraded. I wouldn't be surprised to see Snapcaster and Thalia as normal rares, but something like Damnation would be mythic.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

ThePeavstenator posted:

Other than ensuring that the prices on these cards barely move, what does the limited print run do for WotC? People buy these boxes from stores and distributors way above MSRP so there's got to be money being left on the table for all the boxes not printed.

For me, there's a lot that'd have to happen for me to go hard on MM3: multiple good reprints (Lili, Goyf, Snapcaster, Goblin Guide, lands some good staples like Thoughtseize, Path, etc), a MSRP on par with a normal set, and plenty to go around. I might buy up 3-4 boxes just for drafts and cracking.

As it'll apparently be just another EMA. I'll buy one playset of Snapcaster and maybe a few lands and maybe draft it twice?

WOTC probably assumes they'll make more on the latter strategy rather than the former of a more usual set.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Soul Glo posted:

For me, there's a lot that'd have to happen for me to go hard on MM3: multiple good reprints (Lili, Goyf, Snapcaster, Goblin Guide, lands some good staples like Thoughtseize, Path, etc), a MSRP on par with a normal set, and plenty to go around. I might buy up 3-4 boxes just for drafts and cracking.

As it'll apparently be just another EMA. I'll buy one playset of Snapcaster and maybe a few lands and maybe draft it twice?

WOTC probably assumes they'll make more on the latter strategy rather than the former of a more usual set.

MSRP already listed at $9.99.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Angry Grimace posted:

MSRP already listed at $9.99.

:thumbsup:

Yay for $35 Snapcasters and two draft nights at my LGS! :argh:

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

anglachel posted:

Cavern of Souls at Rare or Mythic is the real question? Snapcaster the Blue mythic, Lilly the Black one, Goyf as the Green One (again, maybe they will not reprint Goyf again), Goblin Guide as the Red Mythic, and Thalia as the White mythic?

Lol if Thalia gets printed as a mythic. I can see the shocks getting printed or hopefully stuff like Horizon Canopy and Groove of the Burnwillows gets a reprint as well. Although Ink Moth Nexus is still on my won't reprint because it's too good for limited.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I would rather have a Comet Storm than an Inkmoth Nexus in my limited deck by a fairly massive margin

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Fish Of Doom posted:

They've never upgraded a card to mythic from the mythic era that wasn't mythic before. Anything from Alara onward has either stayed its same rarity or been downgraded. I wouldn't be surprised to see Snapcaster and Thalia as normal rares, but something like Damnation would be mythic.

Lol if you believe this means anything.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Fish Of Doom posted:

Knight of the Reliquary

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Elyv posted:

Except that they established it does so by sending matter through the place planewalkers go.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

cheetah7071 posted:

Knight of the Reliquary

Knight of the Reliquary was a rare in Conflux and also a rare in Modern Masters 1.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Angry Grimace posted:

Knight of the Reliquary was a rare in Conflux and also a rare in Modern Masters 1.

It was a mythic in Knights vs Dragons

anglachel
May 28, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

What exactly is the point of a mythic in a product like that?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Rarity designation in pre-constructed products is meaningless.

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Thisuck posted:

Groove of the Burnwillows

Make it happen WOTC

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
If I have an ezuri and a bunch of elves out on my upkeep while my opponent has an elesh norn in play (let's say I activated ezuri last turn in response), can I pump them before they die? I'm thinking no but not 100% sure. I was playing elves vs. gifts ungiven at my last FNM, the situation didn't come up but it got me thinking.

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

They would already have died at the end of the previous turn when Ezuri's until end of turn ability wears off.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
My dream cycle of rare land reprints is the Future Sight cycle of rare lands and the Zendikar fetchlands. Add Cavern of Souls, Inkmoth Nexus, and Mana Confluence and I'm set.

The only one I actually expect them to reprint is Mana Confluence.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Star Man posted:

My dream cycle of rare land reprints is the Future Sight cycle of rare lands and the Zendikar fetchlands. Add Cavern of Souls, Inkmoth Nexus, and Mana Confluence and I'm set.

The filter lands could use a reprint...

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Angry Grimace posted:

Rarity designation in pre-constructed products is meaningless.

Pauper enthusiasts disagree.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Star Man posted:

The reprint window for MM17 only goes up to M14/RTR block, so Theros isn't included.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Elyv posted:

I skimmed the story. The Planeswalker notices her friend's invention messes with the aether just like actual planeswalking and has a panic attack over it, so it's not just the usual teleportation.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Hellsau posted:

Is there a mythic-only version of pauper? What sort of decks could you make in it?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Dr. Stab posted:

Is there a mythic-only version of pauper? What sort of decks could you make in it?

Naw sometimes the supplemental products will reduce a rarity, like Forked Bolt is printed as a common in Zendikar vs. Eldrazi. Mythic-Only would be basically mono-red and nothing else, because Goblin Guide is real good.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Hellsau posted:

Naw sometimes the supplemental products will reduce a rarity, like Forked Bolt is printed as a common in Zendikar vs. Eldrazi. Mythic-Only would be basically mono-red and nothing else, because Goblin Guide is real good.

I don't think mythic-only has the critical mass to make mono-red good. I think some sort of super friends will inevitably be best, because such a large percentage of the cardpool is planeswalkers.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/OwenTweetenwald/status/771096335059517441

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I don't think mythic-only has the critical mass to make mono-red good. I think some sort of super friends will inevitably be best, because such a large percentage of the cardpool is planeswalkers.

There are some great red 2-mana creatures at mythic, in addition to Goblin Guide and Dragonmaster Outcast. I guess it depends on what you're counting as "mythic". If you count expeditions, you get mana fixing lands, but you also include Strip Mine and Wasteland which, if available, would make mono-Red way too good. Do you count From the Vaults? Vintage Masters or other online-only sets? If you do, you can make a mono-black Planeswalkers deck with both 3-mana Lilianas, Sorin, Bitterblossom, Demonic Tutor, and (hilariously) Chainer's Edict, all of this accelerated by Chrome Mox and/or Mox Diamond.

This sounds way less good than Pauper, to be honest. Ban Drake, ban Delver.

drat, Owen's already making preparations to help LSV celebrate a Worlds win.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I'm confused. When was Goblin Guide at mythic?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Hellsau posted:

There are some great red 2-mana creatures at mythic, in addition to Goblin Guide and Dragonmaster Outcast. I guess it depends on what you're counting as "mythic". If you count expeditions, you get mana fixing lands, but you also include Strip Mine and Wasteland which, if available, would make mono-Red way too good. Do you count From the Vaults? Vintage Masters or other online-only sets? If you do, you can make a mono-black Planeswalkers deck with both 3-mana Lilianas, Sorin, Bitterblossom, Demonic Tutor, and (hilariously) Chainer's Edict, all of this accelerated by Chrome Mox and/or Mox Diamond.

This sounds way less good than Pauper, to be honest. Ban Drake, ban Delver.

I'd personally allow anything that has had an orange expansion symbol in any printing, so expeditions and from the vaults are fine. Vintage Masters is fine if you're playing online, but power nine got a special expansion symbol indicating their higher rarity, unlike expeditions.

It's almost certainly an extremely bad format of course.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Is it better or worse than edh

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Hellsau posted:

Where's the format that you can only play cards printed at mythic rarity

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I'd personally allow anything that has had an orange expansion symbol in any printing, so expeditions and from the vaults are fine. Vintage Masters is fine if you're playing online, but power nine got a special expansion symbol indicating their higher rarity, unlike expeditions.

It's almost certainly an extremely bad format of course.

okay nevermind, almost the entirety of the classic Necro deck is printed at Mythic - Dark/Cabal Rituals, Necro, Ivory Tower and Zuran Orb, Demonic Tutor, Vampiric Tutor, Strip Mine/Wasteland, Hymn, plus Yawgmoth's Will and Bargain, Planeswalkers, Chrome Mox and Mox Diamond, Unmask, Chainer's Edicts, etc. The only thing missing is Drain Life - you'd have to use Kalitas, or go deep with Kokusho + Recurring Nightmare, or Demonic Pact + Descent into Madness.

actually wait Time Vault is a mythic, let's just do Time Vault + Tezzeret fueled by Moxen and Sol Ring and Mana Crypt. Okay this thought experiment is boring now.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Regarding Damnation, at this point surely they just have to reprint it in a silver-bordered product.

The reaction would be amazing to behold.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

dragon enthusiast posted:

Where's the format that you can only play cards printed at mythic rarity

Standard.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Hellsau posted:

okay nevermind, almost the entirety of the classic Necro deck is printed at Mythic - Dark/Cabal Rituals, Necro, Ivory Tower and Zuran Orb, Demonic Tutor, Vampiric Tutor, Strip Mine/Wasteland, Hymn, plus Yawgmoth's Will and Bargain, Planeswalkers, Chrome Mox and Mox Diamond, Unmask, Chainer's Edicts, etc. The only thing missing is Drain Life - you'd have to use Kalitas, or go deep with Kokusho + Recurring Nightmare, or Demonic Pact + Descent into Madness.

actually wait Time Vault is a mythic, let's just do Time Vault + Tezzeret fueled by Moxen and Sol Ring and Mana Crypt. Okay this thought experiment is boring now.

I think to make this "legit" you would have to discount promos and non-set supplements like ftvs... idk if that would include commander sets or not. Probably online printings too because of power? Idk

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Death Bot posted:

I think to make this "legit" you would have to discount promos and non-set supplements like ftvs... idk if that would include commander sets or not. Probably online printings too because of power? Idk

Probably best to just stick with all the main expansions since Shards of Alara, plus the Core Sets. FTVs, Expeditions, the online-only sets, all of them have ludicrous cards, and if you're discounting Vintage Masters, probably have to throw out the Modern and Eternal Masters sets too to be consistent.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Fish Of Doom posted:

Various Expeditions were rares before becoming mythics.

Living Death, Survival of the Fittest, and Recurring Nightmare were rare in Vintage Masters and mythic rare in Tempest Remastered.

Both of those sets have mythics before someone notices I named Tempest block cards.

A couple of cards were rare in (post-Shards) precons and became mythics in normal sets. Hydra Omnivore and Mirari's Wake, for example.

Move your goalposts accordingly.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

They have yet to reprint a desired land cycle in anything other than Standard, so I don't know why they'd start now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
A good set symbol:

• Locked thread