Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H A T T A M
Apr 21, 2016

I only watched ~5 episodes of Night In The Woods and I have never played it myself, but seeing that picture I just hear Matt's voice.

EDIT: Since I sniped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

also not once in all the praise of the game I've seen did it actually come up that Gregg is gay

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Gregg and Angus both :3:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

H A T T A M posted:

I only watched ~5 episodes of Night In The Woods and I have never played it myself, but seeing that picture I just hear Matt's voice.

Rodyle posted:

I'm finally giving Night In the Woods a proper go and while after a brief go on my own I determined I didn't really have the time/attention span for playing it myself I've been working my way through the LP.

Gregg is perfect and my friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WexGlXNPoqE&t=4550s

Rodyle posted:

also not once in all the praise of the game I've seen did it actually come up that Gregg is gay

You've really forgotten how on average most people don't beat the games they play.

Many don't even stick around beyond the tutorial!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
according to scott benson a man in this video is the inspiration for gregg/what his voice sounds like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fVwXs6-38g

you'll know him when you see him

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Night in the Woods is excruciatingly boring.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Blockhouse posted:

according to scott benson a man in this video is the inspiration for gregg/what his voice sounds like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fVwXs6-38g

you'll know him when you see him

Hah, I heard that bit on the Beastcast, that's pretty much my mental voice for Gregg too.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
-

HGH fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 29, 2018

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

HGH posted:

I can't see how the game is enjoyable unless you're an American fuckup or have daddy issues. People praise the writing and all I can think of is their probably massive entitlement issues.

"I don't understand how people like a thing I don't so they're probably lovely and stupid" is an astonishingly bad take

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I mean, me and a lot of people know or are the kind of kids pictured in NitW or grew up in a town like that, a lot of stuff on that game is stuff I've seen happen around me and I'm at most a SOUTH American fuckup! The entitlement poo poo is missing the point of a lot of stuff, considering the only character that refuses to grow up and wants poo poo to get magically fixed is Mae and it's a plot point that she NEEDS to fix her issues and mature. Bea has to work her parents' old store to make ends meet and knows she's kinda stuck in Possum Springs barring a miracle. Gregg is a fuckup but he's working...hard-ish so he and his abused boyfriend can go live the dream in San Francisco (and probably get hosed over there too, but hey, think good thoughts). I guess if you correlate criticism of late-capitalism to entitlement, it's entitled.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yess, yess tear each other apart! Metal Gear Solid is for pretentious idiots and fighting games are for spergs! No allowance for the enjoyment of different genres, only venom!

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I don't understand how game is popular unless you're one of [like a million people]

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

No allowance for the enjoyment of different genres, only venom!

you only get venom as DLC, tho

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Phantasium posted:

you only get venom as DLC, tho

Not if you play a good fighting game.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

:drat:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

HGH posted:

Blalblalblalbla

"Daddy issues" is a super douchebag thing to get on about regardless, like sweet yeah, do continue to trivialize or rag on people for having psychological/trust issues or even PTSD.

Also game's good.

Dias posted:

I mean, me and a lot of people know or are the kind of kids pictured in NitW or grew up in a town like that, a lot of stuff on that game is stuff I've seen happen around me and I'm at most a SOUTH American fuckup! The entitlement poo poo is missing the point of a lot of stuff, considering the only character that refuses to grow up and wants poo poo to get magically fixed is Mae and it's a plot point that she NEEDS to fix her issues and mature. Bea has to work her parents' old store to make ends meet and knows she's kinda stuck in Possum Springs barring a miracle. Gregg is a fuckup but he's working...hard-ish so he and his abused boyfriend can go live the dream in San Francisco (and probably get hosed over there too, but hey, think good thoughts). I guess if you correlate criticism of late-capitalism to entitlement, it's entitled.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
-

HGH fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 29, 2018

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

HGH posted:

I do understand how people like a thing, I just think those are comparatively really petty issues. Where I live, we all think the Americas are lovely and stupid. It doesn't resonate with me because it sounds privileged as hell. The "plight of the American millenial" is about the most insufferable thing my expat friends find about those places.
I'd give up poo poo to have a life as "bad" and deadended as most of those characters, it'd be an improvement for me!
And I'm no bougie defender either so don't try and saddle me with that label.

Maybe family issues is a better term, cause yet again Americans seem really petty and are all too eager to cut them off forever over minor disagreements because they refuse to grow up. Your parents not funding your entire life for you past your 20s isn't a psychological or medical issue.

Also it's honestly really telling that you can't imagine someone else having bigger fish to fry in life to the point you have to project your country's ills on them. Ooh boy capitalism! Yeah totally defending that here, just ignoring the wars and completely destabilization of the region it's causing! I'm really grateful for the infinite political/religious turmoil, really!
You seriously need to get over yourself. Game's dumb, Americans are lovely and stupid.

Good news, you are also lovely and stupid

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

HGH posted:

Maybe family issues is a better term, cause yet again Americans seem really petty and are all too eager to cut them off forever over minor disagreements because they refuse to grow up.

Hot tip fucker, most often this is because your family are cutting you off because they're bigots or you're a minority and cut them off because you're sick of them being bigots. :ssh:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

If we had a functional dyson sphere that take could fuel the world for untold millenia.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

HGH posted:

I do understand how people like a thing, I just think those are comparatively really petty issues. Where I live, we all think the Americas are lovely and stupid. It doesn't resonate with me because it sounds privileged as hell. The "plight of the American millenial" is about the most insufferable thing my expat friends find about those places.
I'd give up poo poo to have a life as "bad" and deadended as most of those characters, it'd be an improvement for me!

Maybe family issues is a better term, cause yet again Americans seem really petty and are all too eager to cut them off forever over minor disagreements because they refuse to grow up. Your parents not funding your entire life for you past your 20s isn't a psychological or medical issue.

Also it's honestly really telling that you can't imagine someone else having bigger fish to fry in life to the point you have to project your country's ills on them. Ooh boy capitalism! Yeah totally defending that here, just ignoring the wars and completely destabilization of the region it's causing! I'm really grateful for the infinite political/religious turmoil, really!
You seriously need to get over yourself. Game's dumb, Americans are lovely and stupid.

I mean, I could say the same when our crime/murder rates literally beat out Syria, but it's still an issue that I notice here and I'm SURE exists in Lebanon. Maybe it's a cultural thing and people discussing that seems futile to you, maybe it's a "harden up" thing because of literal war going around?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Dealing with mental illness, familial abuse because of homosexuality, and impending poverty with no way out are not petty issues. Maybe not as bad living in a warzone, but being that dismissive about it is really lovely.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I am loving this!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

RareAcumen posted:

I am loving this!

I mean this isn't the anarchy you want it's just people dunking on HGH because he's a shithead

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

I mean this isn't the anarchy you want it's just people dunking on HGH because he's a shithead

It's people arguing and that's all I wanted. I don't need multiple groups shouting, just a single argument would've been enough to satisfy me.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

HGH posted:

maybe you're actually the huge pussy here have you considered that though

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

RareAcumen posted:

It's people arguing and that's all I wanted. I don't need multiple groups shouting, just a single argument would've been enough to satisfy me.

It's incredibly sad and cringey that you need to declare "dance puppets dance!" this badly.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
-

HGH fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 29, 2018

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I mean, I don't wanna assume stuff and I don't wanna dunk on HGH. Well, maybe on his extreme take of "everyone in the Americas is an entitled baby that wants their parents to pay for their lives forever or else they break up" when talking about a game where 2/3rds of the main cast are literally fighting on their own to gently caress off anywhere else. I don't really begrudge thinking Americans suck because you kinda do, dudes, and there's something to be said about having LITERAL WAR at your doorsteps - I'unno if he's lost people, if he lives near the border, what's his socioeconomic BG, etc. I can see NitW not ressonating with someone from a completely different culture, it's a very American game dealing with contemporary American issues.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

HGH posted:

I can't see how the game is enjoyable unless you're an American fuckup or have daddy issues. People praise the writing and all I can think of is their probably massive entitlement issues.

"I dont understand how to empathize with this game about the sheer dread of youth in this era of massive inequality and the crushing collapse of late capitalism being brought down on their heads. How could anyone like this story about 4 people whose lives were nothing like the world promised and are struggle to get by both emotionally and materially because there are no real opportunities for them outside of things that are absolutely soul crushing over the long term. I really don't understand how any of this game where a established older class routinely sacrifice the futures of the younger generation to something that will ultimately destroy them all just to keep the status quo going a few more years could be relevant to anyone in the modern era who isn't a massive failure."

It's the realest video game out there atm an if you don't get it you're either very very dense or very very well off.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

HGH posted:

Maybe. We always "get over it", even after losing our house in 2006 bombings, getting kicked out of countries over souring relations, or getting into debt. Even the current insanity with KSA has hosed us over massively, in jobs, money and health, when we just thought things were getting better.
To me stability of any kind, even stagnation, would be a dream come true, at least beats religious political turmoil that I've had to suffer so long.

Sorry I got mad and disrespected issues over there. I was stupid and frustrated.

Yeah, sorry this is still kinda unimaginable. I have a gay uncle and my father's family is full of Muslim hardliners, he'd probably line right up with these people, but we're all still on good terms. They all still get together and are pleasant to each other. Same with massive political disagreements.
Maybe we just value family more here. Sorry my lived experiences don't line up with those over there.
I apologize. I'll be mindful in the future.

I'm glad you had fun at least.

I'm so genuinely into you being all 'yea I'm in such a hard life I just can't understand your petty issues like 'your family kicked you out for being gay and you don't want to talk to them'' to justify you getting mad online that a cartoon animal game wasn't fun for you. You're the most hardcore screaming baby on the net, congrats.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

It's incredibly sad and cringey that you need to declare "dance puppets dance!" this badly.

Hey, all I'm saying is that this certainly beats watching people reply to BOtL or Misterbibs for the umpteenth time.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

RareAcumen posted:

Hey, all I'm saying is that this certainly beats watching people reply to BOtL or Misterbibs for the umpteenth time.

I'm very proud of us for getting in an argument AROUND BotL this time around.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

...does MisterBibs even post in here?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

HGH posted:

Yeah, sorry this is still kinda unimaginable. I have a gay uncle and my father's family is full of Muslim hardliners, he'd probably line right up with these people, but we're all still on good terms. They all still get together and are pleasant to each other. Same with massive political disagreements.
Maybe we just value family more here. Sorry my lived experiences don't line up with those over there.
I apologize. I'll be mindful in the future.

Lmao you just pulled the loving classic internet "Well I don't have that problem, bye!" gently caress off HGH, I'm sorry you can't understand the suffering of people who don't have the exact circumstances you do.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
It's really cool because literally just turning it around and going 'well, I've never had my family home bombed out so I don't know why you're crying so much about it it's probably not that big a deal' is enough to realize what a poo poo statement it is. Like, what's it like to lack empathy, self reflection, and loving reading ability all at once?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

It's really cool because literally just turning it around and going 'well, I've never had my family home bombed out so I don't know why you're crying so much about it it's probably not that big a deal' is enough to realize what a poo poo statement it is. Like, what's it like to lack empathy, self reflection, and loving reading ability all at once?

I mean, I could understand not likeing NitW if you lacked all those things since it's explicitly a game about understanding the suffering and emotions of the world around you.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

HGH posted:

Good news, you're spending your time posting on the Internet to whine about about "entitled millennials" because "it could be worse", you're acting like all your worst stereotypes of Americans. Everyone's poo poo is everyone's poo poo, and just because someone's life is not literally the worst life possible on Earth doesn't mean we can't empathize with them or acknowledge they have problems, too. Complaining about Americans talking about our crushing debts, lifetime poverty, mental illness and social isolation is colossally petty.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

"All these millennials whining about how their lives have no hope and the have literally no chance for a better tomorrow because of the decisions made by men in power they have no chance to dispute or that their entire identity is attacked and vilified by those in power are just so privileged and childish"- I say, posting in the SA thread for discussing a group of youtube super stars who make a living farting over video game footage that I watch semi-religiously.

Behind me Death strides away, taking with him the last vestiges of my ability to not sniff my own farts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

HGH posted:

Maybe we just value family more here.

This is more bullshit high horsing and you know it. And I don't care if I'm assuming a big thing here, but your gay uncle might not ever say it at the risk of a multitude of things happening to them, but no, they're likely not on true "good terms" past grinning and bearing it. Being LGBT and having to put up with fundie family or similar close, almost inescapable bigotry is one of the most heart wrenching things people will ever have to deal with, it's one of those times where there's truly no knowing it if you haven't lived it. You're the queer one, you're expected to be the political, emotional or if you're unlucky enough physical punching bag and god help you if you don't smile and ask for more, if you ever drop your "Everything's totally fine no it's okay I'm one of the good ones" mask you're the cause for everything bad, it's all on you, it's your fault, why do you have to be like this, so instead you just fake being content and die a little more inside every time, knowing your "family" would probably love to change you or worse if the choice ever presented itself. That's the very real life of a whole lot of, maybe even most LGBT people to some extent or another, you can get your "WELL MAYBE WE'RE JUST BETTER ABOUT IT" out of my face.