Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

And a lot of those matches were pretty bad due to the politics. That tag match almost killed the entire show.

I get people being disappointed but I'm baffled at people seeing matches like the 4 way and thinking the show will be unwatchable.

NZO and Cass run in killing Tanahashi/ZSJ is unforgiveable

And than the rest of the ROH booking was also crazy and not the way you want to present the promotion going into fighting against AEW (Although with today's knowledge putting the title on Taven makes total sense given that Marty is scum)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

i do not want any show to be like that show in any way, shape, or form

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the build to Forbidden Door was always going to be somewhat rushed being these guys are coming from halfway across the loving world in an era with pandemic policy and their own shows to finish. Okada practically skipped his pregnant wife's birthday to barely make it lol. Sure they are limping to the finish line but at the end of the day you're still getting Tanahashi, Okada, White, Ospreay, Hiromu, Suzuki, and Shingo. It's a BONUS PPV that isn't even in the 4-ppv rotation, literally a gift and it's going to own

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Chris Regal memorial thread for dumb wrestlers

https://twitter.com/IndieArchivist/status/1540031467958505474?s=20&t=0HJ_FoFnEsclc0_uEPy1Lw

Don't retweet and not the whole match

Dumb dumb dumb dumb

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Those people are fuckking idiots

Dick Swiveller
Mar 2, 2011

the build, whether number good, the intricacies of the booking? None of my business. Going to watch the interesting experiment show and see if it's good.

e: more like crazy moron vs moron storm.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The economics being something you're not interested in I totally understand, but the issue with the bad build is it's actively hurt the interest a lot of us had in the show. Like I had enough Fite credit to get the show for free but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have paid for it. (And that's with a 20% discount for being an AEW Plus subscriber)

That's the actual problem with the last PPV and this one having crap builds: We're not complaining to be dicks for no reason, we're sad because we want to be super hyped for the shows and the builds are doing the opposite.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 24, 2022

Dick Swiveller
Mar 2, 2011

I hope we both end up liking it regardless.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

the build to Forbidden Door was always going to be somewhat rushed being these guys are coming from halfway across the loving world in an era with pandemic policy and their own shows to finish. Okada practically skipped his pregnant wife's birthday to barely make it lol. Sure they are limping to the finish line but at the end of the day you're still getting Tanahashi, Okada, White, Ospreay, Hiromu, Suzuki, and Shingo. It's a BONUS PPV that isn't even in the 4-ppv rotation, literally a gift and it's going to own

Feel the same

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Unless every match is going to feature Okada vs Dream AEW Opponent why even book the drat show

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

History Comes Inside! posted:

Unless every match is going to feature Okada vs Dream AEW Opponent why even book the drat show

this but unironically

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

gently caress it, Okada should run the Manami Toyota Gauntlet against everyone in AEW

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
Who the gently caress looks at the forbidden door card and thinks 'I'm disappointed'. The only thing in not getting that makes me real hopping mad is no Taichi.

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

cagliostr0 posted:

Who the gently caress looks at the forbidden door card and thinks 'I'm disappointed'. The only thing in not getting that makes me real hopping mad is no Taichi.

You're right, Taichi should be over here :hai:

So he can lose a million times over like the dork-rear end nerd he is.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lethrom posted:

You're right, Taichi should be over here :hai:

So he can lose a million times over like the dork-rear end nerd he is.

The gently caress is this post?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

cagliostr0 posted:

Who the gently caress looks at the forbidden door card and thinks 'I'm disappointed'.

People who, when the event was announced, fantasy booked all their biggest dream matches and expected all of them to happen

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

DLC Inc posted:

Yeah there's a ton of talent on the show, but it's like they put together some of the worst possible matches given the talent and they built it like poo poo.

AEW and NJPW can throw together 15 4* matches on a card with everyone they have, but that doesn't mean they can skip actually making people interested in the matches.

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

Rarity posted:

Just taking the opportunity to call Taichi a nerd who should be given swirlies in all of his matches.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Lethrom posted:

Just taking the opportunity to call Taichi a nerd who should be given swirlies in all of his matches.

I will not abide this slander of ZSJ's husband!

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

Rarity posted:

The wrongest post in human history

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

People who, when the event was announced, fantasy booked all their biggest dream matches and expected all of them to happen

Nope. Most of the matches I'm fairly cool with on paper. I do think the Bullet Club 8 man is a bit lame and that the 4 way IWGP title match would be better as 2 singles but otherwise, sure, it's decent. It's just been built very poorly and a poor build can take something that looks cool in theory and make it seem lame.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Elephant Ambush posted:

Sigh. No, it's not this. It's just not very interesting. This isn't even saying it'll be bad, but do you know how much great wrestling is out there? It's a fuckload. You want me paying $20 for it then you better have a more well built & exciting card than the other PPV that same week I'm wanting to get.

I'm glad you are happy and hope you enjoy it but it's really boring being told the only reason I'm not excited for it is that I somehow expected nothing but dream matches. I just expected more than 2 4 ways & a 3 way Tag. I thought we'd get I dunno LIJ vs someone instead of part of LIJ being thrown in randomly to a team with Sting & son.

Obviously I am sad we aren't getting Bad Luck Fale & Chase Owens for the AEW Tag belts though

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Rarity posted:

someone who's never seen the pants come off

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

forkboy84 posted:

I just expected more than 2 4 ways & a 3 way Tag.

I mean for me the singles matches are ones I'm looking forward to with respect to in ring content (well also the 3way tag because I'm vibing with FTR and rooting for them), so I don't align with this feeling.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The 3 way tag is actually the one I'm most interested in too, because at least it feels like there's a direction: FTR win and now have 3 titles, and the only thing left is for them to go after the Bucks to prove they're the greatest team ever. Sucks that they haven't told that story on camera, though.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

forkboy84 posted:

Sigh. No, it's not this. It's just not very interesting. This isn't even saying it'll be bad, but do you know how much great wrestling is out there? It's a fuckload. You want me paying $20 for it then you better have a more well built & exciting card than the other PPV that same week I'm wanting to get.

I'm glad you are happy and hope you enjoy it but it's really boring being told the only reason I'm not excited for it is that I somehow expected nothing but dream matches. I just expected more than 2 4 ways & a 3 way Tag. I thought we'd get I dunno LIJ vs someone instead of part of LIJ being thrown in randomly to a team with Sting & son.

Obviously I am sad we aren't getting Bad Luck Fale & Chase Owens for the AEW Tag belts though

I kind of agree with you, I should be enthralled but NJPW v AEW in configurations but my mind is "I want this to be over so we can go back to things that matter" which is not good because mentally in my dumb brain the pape should matter but it really really doesn't.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

I think that's the reason some people are trying to book the world titles swapping companies. Because it would sort of retroactively add excitement or something. I'm definitely just looking at it as the price of 2 movies to spend 2 movies worth of time on my sunday evening.

bartok
May 10, 2006

I also figured Forbidden Door was going to be NJPW testing the waters with mostly tag and multiman matches because they're still rightfully gunshy after Wrestle Kingdom V, the Enzo and Big Cass situation at G1 Supercard, the treatment of Okada in TNA, etc. Still going to be a fun show and I'm excited but I kept my expectations grounded.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Lid posted:

https://twitter.com/IndieArchivist/status/1540031467958505474?s=20&t=0HJ_FoFnEsclc0_uEPy1Lw

Dumb dumb dumb dumb

This is legit crazy.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
People are allowed to be mad if a show they bought tickets for months ago didn't deliver what they expected/wanted. And that includes TK himself, who came out today and all but admitted that he's not happy with the card.

I'm sure the show will still be good because there's too much talent for it not to be, but we don't have to pretend things are Okay Actually. If the build felt weird and rushed it's because it was.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
on the other hand, it'd be nice if people didn't keep insisting that anyone still excited for the ppv is lying or fooling themselves

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Stop being mad at each other for being excited for the show or not being excited by the show and be mad at the guy who called Taichi a nerd.

Lethrom, you are my enemy.

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 25, 2022

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

The 3 way tag is actually the one I'm most interested in too, because at least it feels like there's a direction: FTR win and now have 3 titles, and the only thing left is for them to go after the Bucks to prove they're the greatest team ever. Sucks that they haven't told that story on camera, though.

tbf Dax looked directly into the camera like a week or two before UE showed up and said explicitly this is what they were going to do

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Stop being mad at each other for being excited for the ajpw pen not being excited by the show and be mad at the guy who called Taichi a nerd.

If being a pariah for my correct opinions is what it takes to unite this Pagoda, I'll gladly carry the burden.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Lid posted:

Dumb dumb dumb dumb

Jesus gently caress those were absolutely moronic bumps.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Stop being mad at each other for being excited for the show or not being excited by the show and be mad at the guy who called Taichi a nerd.

You have my posts

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

flatluigi posted:

on the other hand, it'd be nice if people didn't keep insisting that anyone still excited for the ppv is lying or fooling themselves

Who’s doing that

E: apart from the one weirdo post above you

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

E: probably the wrong thread

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Rarity posted:

You have my posts

and my tweets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

Lid posted:

I kind of agree with you, I should be enthralled but NJPW v AEW in configurations but my mind is "I want this to be over so we can go back to things that matter" which is not good because mentally in my dumb brain the pape should matter but it really really doesn't.