Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

e X posted:

Aren't a many of the Overwatch characters very obviously inspired by a TF2 character/a specific load out? I mean, you have things like Medic/Mercy or Demoman/Junkrat, but even Phara is basically a soldier with rocket jump being turned into a dedicated ability and Reinhard feels very much inspired by the Demoknight loadout. There are a coupe of other similarities, but those are the ones I had to immediately think of when I first saw the Overwatch cast.

There's a couple of similarities but a lot of them play really differently. Pharah's radically different to a Soldier, even if they both have a weapon called a rocket launcher and good vertical mobility. Widowmaker's got insane maneuverability compared to most snipers. Rein's got a charge and wide melee attack, but he's way more about covering the team with his shield and sometimes punishing people who overextend. I haven't really seen anything analogous to the Tanks aside from Heavy dudes in Tribes, and even then there's no real shared ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think people are forgetting that tf2's community was just as into fan art as overwatch's is now, I remember tons and tons of deviant art crap posted on the old threads and people getting horney over sniper and spy and stuff.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I mean, without TF2 there is no Overwatch. But for me, I prefer the gameplay of OW over TF2 quite a lot. I didn't stick around to play TF2 much even when it was vanilla, and all the additional bullshit just made the game worse.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Without The Lost Vikings there's no Overwatch.

🤔 makes u think

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So the ability to save settings for custom games in the server browser is an option that......... isn't coming with launch?? It'll be added later on?? They're still gonna release the server browser though anyway even though it's not done??

They did this with saving highlights and we're still like over half a year into the game and it's still not an option. Something that should've been in on launch. I'd rather they just hold on to the server browser until they get everything working instead of half-rear end releasing it to get it out sooner and then adding in something that should be a basic feature later on. Blizzard tends to do this all the time and it drives me crazy (except with WoW expansions, those tend to take forever to come out :v:). Like Nintendo releases their games at a glacial pace but at least I know when the game is out more often than not it's an amazing polished experience. I wish Blizzard would do the same when it comes to adding in certain features for their games.

I complained on reddit and got shouted down for whining and I mean I guess I am whining but even still. A basic feature of a mode or game should be in from the beginning, not "still being worked on, will be released TBD"

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah server browser saving settings is important, along with remembering my filter options between games. Having to toggle off seeing full servers every time is quick but dumb.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

FAUXTON posted:

🤔 makes u think

Reaper should just have been Blackthorne

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Reaper should just have been Blackthorne

~*the blackest roses have black thornes...*~

:cripes: that would be his default voice line wouldn't it

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

~*the blackest roses have black thornes...*~

:cripes: that would be his default voice line wouldn't it

Can that be a real Reaper voice line please. I would use it all the time

edit: speaking of Reaper I'm kind of glad that Roadhog is now showing up way more because it means I can pull out Reaper to shoot Roadhog in his stupid fat face

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I bet theyre gonna announce Doomfist at PAX East next month. Doomfist related files are starting to pop up in PTR and Blizz always announces stuff around that time. Plus it'll have been about 4 months since Sombra's release

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Looking forward to Doomfist having a gapcloser and some kind of Reinhardt style slam on a 13 second cooldown. I hope he's a tank.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

tank seems more likely than defensive hero and I doubt that they'd double up on something before they've done a new hero per classification

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
C'mon, let's have a defense or tank hero designed for breaking Reinhardt shields.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I hope Doomfist has something like a hit Shift to do a charging uppercut.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

They're not gonna design a big motherfucker like that and not have him be a tank. D.Va is the only weird exception and that's only when she's out of her mech. I don't think they'll ever make an offense/defense/support character as large/bulky as the tanks. I think they want to make it very obvious when you're dealing with a tank as opposed to a DPS

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Slime posted:

C'mon, let's have a defense or tank hero designed for breaking Reinhardt shields.

that's what bastion is for, especially with the ptr buff that gives him 100 extra bullets to work with in sentry form and damage reduction to tank hits longer before having to heal/escape

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
They're buffing bastion for the incoming new tank. It all makes sense now

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Bastion sounds so much fun to play and I can't wait for the changes to come to the main game : )

bastion main btw

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I didn't care about the bastion changes at all until I got his new year's skin in a box

now I look forward to them because it's a nice skin

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Hoping Doomfist gets Falcon Punch so I can camp corners and blindly smash anyone coming around them.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
We need to focus on what really matters, which is whether Doomfist will be voiced by Terry Crews.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

FAUXTON posted:

🤔 makes u think

Olaf the Stout, Erik the Swift, Baleog the Fierce, and Torbjorn the Clever.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

junan_paalla posted:

We need to focus on what really matters, which is whether Doomfist will be voiced by Terry Crews.

If he wasn't originally he sure as gently caress is now. The original Doomfist is going the way of the original Mercy VA

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

junan_paalla posted:

The recent 'mock audition' bit he did makes me think not, TBH. If the character is coming soon then he'd already have been cast for a while, and if he's already been cast then why would he do that bit.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Supercar Gautier posted:

The recent 'mock audition' bit he did makes me think not, TBH. If the character is coming soon then he'd already have been cast for a while, and if he's already been cast then why would he do that bit.

Drum up more hype?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Much as I love him to be voiced by Terry Crews, it might be better if he not. Otherwise it might be a problem like TF2 had with the Medic's VA being unavailable most of the time so he had a severe lack of voice dialog compare to the rest for the longest time.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Jeza posted:

I mean, without TF2 there is no Overwatch. But for me, I prefer the gameplay of OW over TF2 quite a lot. I didn't stick around to play TF2 much even when it was vanilla, and all the additional bullshit just made the game worse.

At the end of the day TF2 and OW are really different outside of "FPS game with classes that have unique loadouts," there's space for both. Sadly TF2 is past it's prime; there was a solid stretch between "vanilla" and "way too many gimmick weapons jesus christ" where each class had a good niche in public (if not comp) play. Sadly those days are long gone, and I wish there was a modern TF2-inspired game where each class has unique weapons for its role but no special abilities/ultimates.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Big Mad Drongo posted:

At the end of the day TF2 and OW are really different outside of "FPS game with classes that have unique loadouts," there's space for both. Sadly TF2 is past it's prime; there was a solid stretch between "vanilla" and "way too many gimmick weapons jesus christ" where each class had a good niche in public (if not comp) play. Sadly those days are long gone, and I wish there was a modern TF2-inspired game where each class has unique weapons for its role but no special abilities/ultimates.

It ended sometime around the axtinguisher nerf

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Rirse posted:

Much as I love him to be voiced by Terry Crews, it might be better if he not. Otherwise it might be a problem like TF2 had with the Medic's VA being unavailable most of the time so he had a severe lack of voice dialog compare to the rest for the longest time.

I like reddit's idea to have terry crews voice the gauntlet and some nerd is the actual Doomfist.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

It ended sometime around the axtinguisher nerf

Puff'n'shoot with the Flare Gun just ain't the same. :(

Fred Dawes
May 10, 2009

e: Wrong thread. I miss the P2W Milkman set bonus with a shortstop that could out-dps Soldier.

Fred Dawes fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 9, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
they're basing balance decisions re: DPS based on the already overtuned Soldier: 76? ugh

or alternatively not ugh, but i hope that reasoning doesn't only apply to Bastion

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

3 Roadhogs, 2 Mercys, and a Lucio is somehow incredibly effective in No Limits koth.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Rirse posted:

i mean have you SEEN medic's VA? of course he's busy:

:syoon:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

May be more of a tryhard thread question but w/e.

In Overwatch I've noticed that my mouse movements aren't "smooth" as other games. I've raised and lowered my sensitivity and DPI, but no matter what I do I still get the cursor "jumping" a few pixels when I move the mouse. In addition to this, the mouse in game feels sluggish somehow. It makes aiming pretty difficult for hitscan characters. Any idea on how to address this?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Kerrrrrrr posted:

i mean have you SEEN medic's VA? of course he's busy:

:syoon:

Man he looks a lot like his character from Uncharted 3.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

Warbird posted:

In Overwatch I've noticed that my mouse movements aren't "smooth" as other games. I've raised and lowered my sensitivity and DPI, but no matter what I do I still get the cursor "jumping" a few pixels when I move the mouse. In addition to this, the mouse in game feels sluggish somehow. It makes aiming pretty difficult for hitscan characters. Any idea on how to address this?
My first troubleshooting step would be to stick windows' mouse sensitivity slider right in the middle, increase the mouse DPI to a comfortable level then fiddle with the in-game sens

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I'll mess with it some more, but why is Overwatch the only game that has this issue? My aim is terrible in Titanfall 2, but that feels like a lack of skill. In this instance, it distinctly feels like something's off in the aiming itself.

To be clear, this isn't intended as "you beat me because my controller is broken". The game just feels bad for some reason and I don't remember it being like this back when I first started playing.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Warbird posted:

I have a similar problem minus the sluggishness ingame. I have noticed that changing the surface I have the mouse on makes a significant difference, but none of my available options completely eliminate the problem. This is the first decent mouse I have owned so I don't even know if mice can be completely smooth down to a pixel to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I've got some razor pad to go with my deathadder (I enjoy making poor purchasing decisions. Ask me about my Vive!) that you can tell the firmware that you're using. I'll see if there's something there I can mess with.