Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Steve Yun posted:

What caused the sudden jump in sales?

They were offering a $30 gift box for the price of shipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lawnie posted:

To everyone who bought Penzeys spices a week ago: they did 5.5 months worth of sales in 3 days and ran out of jars, so the final shipment of the free stuff wont go out for another week or two, apparently. Good for them. Most has already shipped, reportedly.

Good.
I should have gone to the one near me in person. Still haven't gotten mine. But hell fuckin yeah for them.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

legendof posted:

Honestly at this point I kinda just go by taste and what I'm serving it with. You'll see recipes with any of subset of mint, cumin, cilantro, green onion, lemon, coriander, and ginger. It's important to get a cucumber in there (I grate mine and then salt it, let it sit, and squeeze out some liquid in a cheesecloth), but after that your seasonings can vary. I like garlic salt + mint + lemon + green onion, but I've also done other combinations with great success.

Awesome, thanks! Can't wait to make it.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Those look like a great idea for a catering gig I've got coming up where ideally all the food is ball shaped. I've been struggling to think up good options for the gluten free and vegan crowd, so those look perfect!

Do you have to keep them refrigerated? The recipe says to freeze for 30 min or fridge for a couple hours, but nothing about storage.

Edit: also, how about many balls does it make, if they were say about ping pong ball sized? "Serves 6" is a pretty lame metric of quantity in this case, especially since they don't tell you what size ball to make. (Jeez, what a neat idea but horribly written recipe)
We stuck them in the refrigerator after shaping them and left them there until they were gone, but when packing them for lunch we didn't refrigerate them and they were :discourse:

Ping-pong sized balls I'd say we maybe got... 15-20? My partner did most(see: 95%) of the shaping for these so that's an approximation. We threw in a decent-sized glob of peanut butter as well, since it seemed a bit dry.

Doom Rooster posted:

Chipotle lime yogurt is a crazy good taco topping. We make it instead of normal crema for tacos when we are doing low cal. Just blend the poo poo out of it until it is smooth. Lime zest and juice, and salt.

Ooh I completely spaced on chipotle, that sounds amazing.

So follow-up question: yogurt doesn't freeze too well, does it? Like if I made a sauce, freezing it would wonk up the texture, yeah?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
/\/\/\ I would guess freezing would mess with yogurt, yeah. I haven't tried, though.

Scientastic posted:

I don’t think this is accurate: modern frost-free freezers have an evaporator, which removes water vapour (the principle cause of frost build-up) from the air, and the thaw cycle warms up the evaporator, not the main freezer chamber, removing the frost that has built up in it, allowing it to continue drawing water from the air inside the freezer.

If the freezer is not very full, this could cause a slight warming of the inside, but if you have your freezer stocked up (which you should do, because it makes it much more efficient), it really shouldn’t be a problem.

Source: I work for a scientific supplier, and I talk to the freezer guy a lot because he’s alright.
I'm sure you're right. My information was based on slightly-panicky discussions during my M.Sc. in a genetics lab, where we went to great lengths to ensure our samples NEVER warmed up. At the time (15 years ago), there was much current discussion among people I knew about useless DNA and ruined samples that had been through a couple of freeze-thaw cycles, and much attention was paid to things like storage concentrations and additives for long-term storage.

We used this assumed difference in function - frost-free vs. fuckyougetfrosty - to explain (part of) the giant price difference between consumer-grade and scientific-grade appliances. Is it only the more expensive freezers that do the evaporator thing, or is it essentially all frost-free freezers?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Johnny Truant posted:

Ooh I completely spaced on chipotle, that sounds amazing.

So follow-up question: yogurt doesn't freeze too well, does it? Like if I made a sauce, freezing it would wonk up the texture, yeah?

Yeah, it seems to separate out the whey in a way that even when you stir it back in thoroughly, it still just... Feels off. I manage to get it 90% back to normal by adding some Ultratex 8 (modified tapioca starch thickener). It thickens it up a little, but made the texture much closer to being consistent like it was pre-freeze.

Or, you could not be a weird food sperg, and just not bother freezing it.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

ExecuDork posted:

I'm sure you're right. My information was based on slightly-panicky discussions during my M.Sc. in a genetics lab, where we went to great lengths to ensure our samples NEVER warmed up. At the time (15 years ago), there was much current discussion among people I knew about useless DNA and ruined samples that had been through a couple of freeze-thaw cycles, and much attention was paid to things like storage concentrations and additives for long-term storage.

We used this assumed difference in function - frost-free vs. fuckyougetfrosty - to explain (part of) the giant price difference between consumer-grade and scientific-grade appliances. Is it only the more expensive freezers that do the evaporator thing, or is it essentially all frost-free freezers?

I believe it’s all modern freezers, but it’s possible some of the cheaper mass market ones made may warm the whole chamber.

There are two things that make the big difference in price between consumer grade and lab grade freezers. Firstly, the chambers of the really good lab ones are made of single pieces of plastic or metal, pressed into shape, which avoids having any hard edges where bacteria can grow. Secondly, the controllers have much tighter temperature sensitivity, so where a domestic freezer might be out by up to ten degrees, a lab version shouldn’t fluctuate by anything more than about half a degree. I’m guessing that commercial food freezers are similarly high end...

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

I think they'd have to be, or it'd be really difficult to stay in compliance with food storage regulations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Why do you use cold shredded butter in biscuits instead of melting it?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Why do you use cold shredded butter in biscuits instead of melting it?
the butter has to be cold in order to form layers when you're folding the dough. you can't make layers effectively if the butter isn't solid, as it wouldn't stay where you put it, and also wouldn't release steam in such a way as to create the layers to begin with.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
https://ourbestbites.com/cutting-in-butter/
https://blog.kingarthurflour.com/2015/08/15/tips-better-biscuits/
https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/08/the-food-lab-super-flaky-buttermilk-biscuits-excerpt.html

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Elizabethan Error posted:

the butter has to be cold in order to form layers when you're folding the dough. you can't make layers effectively if the butter isn't solid, as it wouldn't stay where you put it, and also wouldn't release steam in such a way as to create the layers to begin with.

Huh. Thanks.

Do you have any recipes for biscuits without a circular cutter?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
It's exactly the same but you cut them into squares.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Huh. Thanks.

Do you have any recipes for biscuits without a circular cutter?

You just use two big spoons and do drop biscuits if you're doing cut butter biscuts (where you cut in a dang ton of cold butter). Get a big ol glop with one spoon, use the second to scrape it out on to your parchment paper / greased baking sheet / whatever. Try to make all the glops evenly sized.

Pro Tip: Mix in some cheddar cheese and Old Bay spice, BAM Red Lobster biscuits.

I gotta make some biscuits....

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Does anyone know what gray, non-dyed farmed salmon looks like? I can't seem to find any photos of farmed salmon that isn't dyed.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Steve Yun posted:

Does anyone know what gray, non-dyed farmed salmon looks like? I can't seem to find any photos of farmed salmon that isn't dyed.

According to this
http://firstwefeast.com/eat/2015/03/farmed-salmon-is-naturally-gray-has-color-added-to-it

They add the coloring agent to the fish's food.

E: maybe you already knew that but I guess it explains why there aren't any gray meat pics

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 27, 2018

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I know that, I'm just looking for a photo of what non-dyed salmon looks like

edit: apparently there are species of salmon called White King or Ivory that have an enzyme that breaks down beta-carotene so they get colorless flesh:
https://www.google.com/search?q=ivo...w=1026&bih=1410

might not be the exact same thing, but if farmed salmon naturally looks something similar to this I think I'd be fine without dyes:
http://myemail.constantcontact.com/Wild-White-King-Salmon.html?soid=1103123744257&aid=27apIFXsbqI

Caption: "white, marbled, red ~ all three are wild Alaskan king salmon caught in the same area from the same boat"

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 27, 2018

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
One thing I learned while looking for gray salmon pics is that farmed salmon are fed chicken poo poo.

I guess that's not as bad as tilapia, which, if I understand correctly, are raised on human waste.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

eating nothing but Tilapia is cool because it's like you're living in the second Blade Runner movie

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Eating poo poo isn't too bad if the animal converts it into delicious meat like pigs do

Tilapia for a long time had the problem of sometimes tasting like poo poo because they built up methylisoborneol and geosmin, compounds that literally taste like mold and dirt. I think that they might've found some solutions to the problem but I haven't tried tilapia in a while to see for myself. Technically these compounds aren't coming from the feed itself but from bacteria in their farm water that grow in the poo poo feed and aren't cleaned often enough but you get the idea

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Yandat posted:

eating nothing but Tilapia is cool because it's like you're living in the second Blade Runner movie

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

theres a will theres moe posted:

I guess that's not as bad as tilapia, which, if I understand correctly, are raised on human waste.

Only in sketchy Asian/South American farms, and it's hog manure, not human. Tilapia do not eat poop unless starved into it; they are omnivores that eat smaller fish and algae, given the chance. US-raised tilapia are given feed, which mighty be lovely compared to their diet in the wild, but is not actual poo poo. Same for catfish.

Now the Scatophagus argus, well...

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
If I have a cake batter that's risen with both Bicarb and Baking Powder, how much harm will it do to leave the batter sitting for 30m before I bake it? I need to make 2 cakes, and I just discovered my oven is only big enough to bake one at a time.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gerblyn posted:

If I have a cake batter that's risen with both Bicarb and Baking Powder, how much harm will it do to leave the batter sitting for 30m before I bake it? I need to make 2 cakes, and I just discovered my oven is only big enough to bake one at a time.

Probably be ok, but it wouldn't surprise if the second cake has a slightly different texture than the first. Flour getting more hydrated (though probably low protein cake flour, so maybe not a big deal), and could conceivably be lighter because of the extra time it's had for the chemical leavening to work. I would also be careful moving it to the oven, taking care not to jostle it lest it fall.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
I've been given a jar of Bee Pollen. Aside from sprinkling on ice cream, bananas or on a banana split, what else can I do with the contents?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Rail it

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sprinkle it on your weed.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Feed it to someone you don't like, who's allergic to bees. (Don't do this.)

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Manuel Calavera posted:

Feed it to someone you don't like, who's allergic to bees. (Don't do this.)

What, so they can have their allergy treated?

Nefarious.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
This is one of those could-go-either-way questions I ask on here...

I have like 5lbs of chicken quarters I got on sale and I'm too engaged in papers to do anything other than plop them in the slow cooker and walk away.

I know shredded chicken breast is great out of the slow cook....will quarters suck? Darker meat or whatever?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
They won't suck, but they are pretty greasy. Do you have the energy to plop them on a rack on a cooking sheet and pop them in the oven?

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Peetown Manning posted:

This is one of those could-go-either-way questions I ask on here...

I have like 5lbs of chicken quarters I got on sale and I'm too engaged in papers to do anything other than plop them in the slow cooker and walk away.

I know shredded chicken breast is great out of the slow cook....will quarters suck? Darker meat or whatever?

Anne Whateley posted:

They won't suck, but they are pretty greasy. Do you have the energy to plop them on a rack on a cooking sheet and pop them in the oven?

This is honestly what you should do. It's easier than you think. Chicken quarters are one of my mom's favorite hasty meals. Preheat the oven, season the chicken as much as you want, and maybe turn them skin side up halfway through cooking, listen for the timer. Here's a super basic recipe.

Each leg makes a pretty good meal. Freeze what you won't eat in a week and cook them later. I think you can cook from frozen by adding 50% to the cooking time.

Edit: I mean, for a slightly decadent, but really complete meal, do the rack thing like Anne Whateley suggested, and throw some chopped onions, carrots, and potatoes under the chicken. They should cook through and will have captured a lot of the chicken's juices.

DasNeonLicht fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 28, 2018

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
I usually do em' on a wire rack and flip them multiple times after giving them a good yogurt, citrus and white pepper bath (other spices too).

I've decided I'm incapable of giving work the TLC it requires and also cook chicken quarters using my own fairly obsessive oven-baked method, and as a result will just have to go hungry.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
It doesn't have to be obsessive. I put them skin-side-up on a rack on a foil-covered pan, I throw on some seasonings, I throw them in at 450° for 45ish. That's it. I come back, the skin is crispy, and the grease is mostly drained. You can marinate, brine, dry-brine, flip every five minutes, baste, take covers on and off, whatever you want, but you really don't need to do any of that for it to be delicious.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Anyone have an easyish to make spicy butter chicken recipe they'd recommend?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I found a baked sweet potato recipe online so I could try something new with my homemade fries that said to toss with cornstarch before oil, but that seems backwards? 🤔

I have flour, which I’m thinking will work just about the same? Should I seek some cornstarch out?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Yeah I salt and pepper, throw chicken quarters on a roasting pan for an hour at 400f, rest for 10 min. Eat. It's really that simple. But they will be okay in a slow cooker too. I make chicken thighs in a pressure cooker all the time.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Oxyclean posted:

http://ekantcookcurry.com/murgh-makhani/

If that's too involved, https://www.vahrehvah.com/murgh-makhani-indian-butter-chicken

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I’m brining a chicken for tomorrow, but I don’t have enough space in my fridge to fit it in overnight. Is there a good reason to refrigerate things while they brine, or will it be fine without?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I’m brining a chicken for tomorrow, but I don’t have enough space in my fridge to fit it in overnight. Is there a good reason to refrigerate things while they brine?

Brining does not stop the meat from going bad or preserve it, so yes, you do need to refrigerate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Oxyclean posted:

This makes the best one I've ever had:

Chicken:

1.75 lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite size pieces
3.5 oz. Greek yogurt
1 t. ginger paste
1 t. garlic paste
1.5 t. salt
1.5 t. Kashmiri chili powder
.25 t. garam masala
juice of .5 lemon

Combine all ingredients and marinate at least 20 minutes. Place on foil lined baking sheet under a hot broiler until the outside is charred. Flip them if you feel like it.

Sauce:

2.75 lb. tomatoes, halved
1 in. fresh ginger, crushed
4 garlic cloves, peeled
4 green cardamom pods
2 cloves
1 cinnamon leaf or bay leaf
1.5 T Kashmiri chili powder
.5 stick butter, cubed
1 in. ginger, finely chopped
2 green chilis, finely chopped
1/3 c. heavy cream
1 t. salt
1 t. ground dried fenugreek leaves
.25 t. garam masala

Combine the tomatoes, crushed ginger, garlic, cardamom, cloves, and cinnamon leaf with 1/2 c. water and simmer until the tomatoes are completely soft. Use a hand-held blender to puree the mixture completely and pour it through a strainer.

Return the liquid to the pan and add everything else but the butter and heavy cream. Let it simmer for a few minutes and whisk in the butter little by little.

Add the chicken and it's juices and let it simmer until the chicken is cooked through and it's reached the thickness you like. Stir in the heavy cream.

Serve.