Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Raiding Not!Myrkul's tomb in the Astral Sea right now and its pretty cool as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Some good news on the SRD stuff.

https://www.dndbeyond.com/posts/1717-2024-core-rulebooks-to-expand-the-srd

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Facebook Aunt posted:

Failed Merchant is my favorite background. "My tragic backstory is that I wasn't very good at my old job."

Yeah I do like this kind of mundane background, too :D On the topic of warlocks though, one character I've always wanted to run is a tiefling warlock who got their powers from their devil parent.

So basically, they got their powers and permission from mum/dad to wander around and have fun adventuring, but the catch they've agreed to is that at a specified point (e.g. reaching a certain age) they're required to take on a cushy management role in the "family business" in whichever one of the hells their parent is from. (Since well, good help is hard to find! And obviously, your own kids are trustworthy enough)
Obviously, the warlock would like to shirk this burden due to youthful wanderlust, but it's otherwise a pretty cushy arrangement! (The main problem would be the fact that I'd have to play a tiefling :v: )

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

Failed Merchant is my favorite background. "My tragic backstory is that I wasn't very good at my old job."

I've had two related warlocks. The one who signed the contract because it beat working retail, and the one who signed the warlock contract and found that they might as well have signed with a record company.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Major Isoor posted:

Yeah I do like this kind of mundane background, too :D On the topic of warlocks though, one character I've always wanted to run is a tiefling warlock who got their powers from their devil parent.

So basically, they got their powers and permission from mum/dad to wander around and have fun adventuring, but the catch they've agreed to is that at a specified point (e.g. reaching a certain age) they're required to take on a cushy management role in the "family business" in whichever one of the hells their parent is from. (Since well, good help is hard to find! And obviously, your own kids are trustworthy enough)
Obviously, the warlock would like to shirk this burden due to youthful wanderlust, but it's otherwise a pretty cushy arrangement! (The main problem would be the fact that I'd have to play a tiefling :v: )

This sounds kinda like the plot to "Devil's Advocate"

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

If a character is engulfed/swallowed by something else, could you spellsculpt around the bigger thing? One of my party was grabbed by Olhydra (arch water elemental) and an allied wizard tried to do a sculpted arcane burst on the PC, but everyone pushed back and argued it should hit the outer creature even with sculpting

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

change my name posted:

If a character is engulfed/swallowed by something else, could you spellsculpt around the bigger thing? One of my party was grabbed by Olhydra (arch water elemental) and an allied wizard tried to do a sculpted arcane burst on the PC, but everyone pushed back and argued it should hit the outer creature even with sculpting

Are they using Arcane Burst with Sculpt Spell, or are you talking about Sculpted Explosion?

In either case you just have to be able to see the creature. RAW it doesn't hit the Olhydra.

Edit: arguably you can't target an engulfed PC either because even clear objects provide cover from spells.

Jimbone Tallshanks fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 13, 2024

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Are they using Arcane Burst with Sculpt Spell, or are you talking about Sculpted Explosion?

In either case you just have to be able to see the creature. RAW it doesn't hit the Olhydra.

The latter, the enemy was an evocation wizard. And that’s what I thought but also not even a huge deal since I just chose an element she resists

change my name fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 13, 2024

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I’m gonna be running an adventure package for a table and we’re looking at Candlekeep Mysteries. I can tell it’s an anthology so I’m curious if there’s any guidance around the idea of using it as a series, or any other new 5E advice for GMs. I’ve run con games which mostly went well.

The team seems on board with the broad premise and format, though. So that’s about 90% of anything.

Zerbin7
Oct 15, 2014

It's a living.
The party's doing community service, and need to pay their debt to society by working for the library.

Also, I think that Candlekeep is listed as a patron in Minsc and Boo's Journal of Villainy, if you need faction information.

Also also, Elminster's Candlekeep Companion is pretty thorough and full of useful information. https://www.dmsguild.com/product/311436/Elminsters-Candlekeep-Companion?affiliate_id=433429&src=gtgelminsterscandlekeep

Also part three, The Dragon-Tower of Candlekeep is a pretty fun adventure centered in the library with a cool theme. https://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?discount=959ece3403&affiliate_id=433429&src=gtgdragontowerdiscount

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
https://twitter.com/CHofferCBus/status/1790403605003940034

What a cluttered mess of a cover.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Rehosted, so you don't have to click twice and have a twitter account

I like how gameinformer watermarked this image of a product that isn't theirs, lol

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I like it better than the 5e cover but that isn't saying much.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

My players have completed their spelljammer and now want to do a crazy array of things to it, including establishing a permanent teleportation circle, using Magnificent Mansion every day so they don't have to rely on the crew quarters, warding it from scrying, etc. I'd rule that these generally aren't possible (maybe without pricey ship upgrades) because it moves, does that sound right?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

change my name posted:

My players have completed their spelljammer and now want to do a crazy array of things to it, including establishing a permanent teleportation circle, using Magnificent Mansion every day so they don't have to rely on the crew quarters, warding it from scrying, etc. I'd rule that these generally aren't possible (maybe without pricey ship upgrades) because it moves, does that sound right?

planets and moons move much faster and you can put teleportation circles on those, i would find a different argument

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

change my name posted:

Just turn them into quests / money dumps, in my opinion. Stuff like that is typically far more fluffy than mechanically-impactful, so it’s great material for character motivation. There’s not much difference between having a permanent teleport circle and simply having a flying ship or access to teleport spells - players can already travel easily even if time goes by between sessions. And similarly, having a Magical Mansion isn’t functionally different from just sprucing up your crew quarters. If you do run into some sort of mechanical issue then as a DM it’s easy to write your way around it; for example if your players build anti-scrying armor then make sure to have the villain set off alarms when they try and fail to penetrate the defenses - but later have them attempt to get their basic plot information in another way (interrogating a friendly NPC, betrayal by a crew member, attaching a spy device, etc).

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the permanent teleport circle should probably be the last upgrade they get, since that means they can teleport back to the ship with no risk from anywhere if they have the spell slots. i would only let them have it with the caveat that it doesnt work at all unless the ship is in the same gravity well as the party

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

To be fair, the campaign will definitely end in less than a year (of in-game time) so I guess I should just say okay since they can’t do it anyways

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

scary ghost dog posted:

the permanent teleport circle should probably be the last upgrade they get, since that means they can teleport back to the ship with no risk from anywhere if they have the spell slots. i would only let them have it with the caveat that it doesnt work at all unless the ship is in the same gravity well as the party
A spaceship with some kind of teleportation device to move crew to and from the surface easily? It'll never work.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

scary ghost dog posted:

I mean sure, it’s a fluffy perk, but again it’s really not mechanically-different from the usual ways you’d be getting back to your ship. Whether that’s simply having your crew pick you up, or traveling back there in a skiff, or using some other form of magic travel. If you can perform Teleportation Circle for a full minute then you’ll probably just use it to get to the planet your ship is on, if not the ship itself. If you can do Teleport then you already can get back to the ship with minimal risk. And if the circle starts getting abused then you can have it break down from over use, or have pirates ward it with Antimagic Field. Mostly I’d just focus on the positive outcome (players being excited do quests to add doodads to their inn / castle / ship / tower).

Kaal fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 15, 2024

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Kaal posted:

I mean sure, it’s a fluffy perk, but again it’s really not mechanically-different from the usual ways you’d be getting back to your ship. If you can perform Teleportation Circle for a full minute then you’ll probably just use it to get to the planet your ship is on, if not the ship itself. If you can get Teleport then you already can get back to the ship with minimal risk. And if you the circle starts getting abused then you can have it break down from over use, or have pirates ward it with Antimagic Field. Mostly I’d just focus on the positive outcome (players being excited do quests to add doodads to their inn / castle / ship / tower).

Or just make it clear that getting a permanent teleportation circle is inviting you to start mining old Star Trek episodes for plot ideas to subject them to

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Asterite34 posted:

Or just make it clear that getting a permanent teleportation circle is inviting you to start mining old Star Trek episodes for plot ideas to subject them to

Yeah exactly, and that’s really not a bad thing either. It’s basically threatening players to have a good time. Have some transporter accidents, boarding actions, decontamination failures, or splinching. The entire premise of Stargate was that they had a permanent Teleportation Circle. Incorporating player ideas like this are one of the best parts of D&D, and spending a couple of sessions building up to a reward of “fancy captain’s quarters” is a great way to keep players invested. To my mind, this a great example of how, just as in improvisational theater, DMs should always strive to find ways to say “Yes, and …”

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Nessus posted:

A spaceship with some kind of teleportation device to move crew to and from the surface easily? It'll never work.
"You get a sending message from the ship, chief Kilometres O'Grady says there's uh... Ionic storms in the upper atmosphere."

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Bobby Deluxe posted:

"You get a sending message from the ship, chief Kilometres O'Grady says there's uh... Ionic storms in the upper atmosphere."

"Did you say there's Ioun stones in the atmosphere?" :confused:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Kaal posted:

Just turn them into quests / money dumps, in my opinion. Stuff like that is typically far more fluffy than mechanically-impactful, so it’s great material for character motivation. There’s not much difference between having a permanent teleport circle and simply having a flying ship or access to teleport spells - players can already travel easily even if time goes by between sessions. And similarly, having a Magical Mansion isn’t functionally different from just sprucing up your crew quarters. If you do run into some sort of mechanical issue then as a DM it’s easy to write your way around it; for example if your players build anti-scrying armor then make sure to have the villain set off alarms when they try and fail to penetrate the defenses - but later have them attempt to get their basic plot information in another way (interrogating a friendly NPC, betrayal by a crew member, attaching a spy device, etc).

Yeah, just let the party do cool upgrades to their ship/base/castle/spelljammer/whatever.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Regarding spelljammers and upgrades, there is a neat framework for it in Wildjammer, a free fan supplement aimed at bringing the original spelljammer mechanics to 5E. Not sure how far down the rabbit hole you are, but take a look and maybe pull things like hardpoints, modules, and cargo capacity.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

There's some good stuff in Wildjammer and I mine it extensively, but I don't really agree with that characterization of it. It's mostly just a hack of the 5e compatible scifi game Dark Matter to accommodate spelljamming, and it's a lot crunchier than 2e SJ for the most part.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Kaal posted:

And similarly, having a Magical Mansion isn’t functionally different from just sprucing up your crew quarters.

I'd say it's worse. Sure it can have magic food prep so you don't need a cook (?) but the mansion is on another plane than the ship. Which means from inside the mansion there is no indication that your ship is under attack. One morning you all leave the mansion to find your ship was reduced to kindling while you slept.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Someone already said it, but mine Star Trek for fun. Yes and is empowering.

Oh, no, they passed through a region of... wild magic? and now their evil twins have all teleported onto the ship?

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

I am a massive hater, with a blackhole where my heart should be, and it seems fine.
the dragon in the bottom left isn't doing much

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

also, gradually and stealthily "house-rule" the rules until you're literally playing Star Trek Adventures without your players realizing it

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

There's also some built in poo poo with teleport mishaps you can do, if you roll off target on teleport you end up some percentage of the distance you teleported away from the target. Buddy you're in space, that's potentially millions of miles off target. Only thing you gotta do is add a line to the table for when you're teleporting to a circle outside of your gravity plane or whatever criteria you like, because RAW teleportation circle teleports are 100% success, but that's not a big stretch.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
I use my Treecorder to determine the Cybarbarian’s ailment and inject 20ccs of Goodberry juice to stabilize.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
If you don't have an elf NPC at some point who says things like "Live long and prosper" then I demand you turn in your Nerd Card and hang your head in shame.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

bird food bathtub posted:

If you don't have an elf NPC at some point who says things like "Live long and prosper" then I demand you turn in your Nerd Card and hang your head in shame.

That or you have an entire society of evil Roman themed elves.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Ominous Jazz posted:

I am a massive hater, with a blackhole where my heart should be, and it seems fine.
the dragon in the bottom left isn't doing much

As you point out, the red dragon is oddly passive.

If you show this to someone who isn’t already familiar with D&D’s different kinds of dragons, they’d probably assume the gold dragon was an enemy of the adventurers rather than an ally. If you show this to someone who does know about D&D’s dragon types and ask them to think about the cover through that lens, they’ll realize the adventurers are in no real danger because they have an ancient gold dragon on their side.

There are five adventurers when four would suffice, leading to the dwarf being awkwardly shoved into the background.

What is the elf spellcaster doing, exactly?

The rogue (or is she a ranger? She has two weapons and what looks like metal armor, so probably a ranger) is posed very awkwardly.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 15, 2024

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

homeless snail posted:

There's also some built in poo poo with teleport mishaps you can do, if you roll off target on teleport you end up some percentage of the distance you teleported away from the target. Buddy you're in space, that's potentially millions of miles off target. Only thing you gotta do is add a line to the table for when you're teleporting to a circle outside of your gravity plane or whatever criteria you like, because RAW teleportation circle teleports are 100% success, but that's not a big stretch.

i think if you try to teleport to a different gravity well you should have to roll on the feywild time warp table to determine how badly they were affected by relativity

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The real 5e SJ teleportation poo poo is, can you teleport to a different system? 2e handles this but in 5e who knows, and what are the funny consequences of that going wrong

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

homeless snail posted:

The real 5e SJ teleportation poo poo is, can you teleport to a different system? 2e handles this but in 5e who knows, and what are the funny consequences of that going wrong

No. Teleport and Teleportation Circle explicitly state the destination has to be on the same plane of existence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Wildspace systems in 5e are all on the same plane, arguably. Its not like 2e where each one is an isolated crystal sphere with their own systems of inner and outer planes.