Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

Cream_Filling posted:

The main reason to be sticking to rubber domes is if you have a laptop.

or budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

glompix posted:

or budget.

or need a specialized layout that's not available in mech.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Aren't most laptops scissor anyway?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Chronos13 posted:

While I like the keyboard itself, the loving x key straight up doesn't work upon arrival (I literally asked a friend on instant messaging to type 'x' so i could copy and paste it for the sake of this post cause mine is that broken).

Ignoring the fact that you could have brought up your OS's character map and copied the character from there, I'm smirking at the fictitious chatlog in my head:

"Hey can you type something with an ecks in it?"
"what?"
"The key on my keyboard... it makes a cross and sounds like a... poo poo I don't know it's a loving letter. The one between the Z and the C."
"I'm not following..."

If I was your friend I would have dragged it on as long as possible.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

nftyw posted:

I use a Logitech K360 once in awhile, it and the M310 pretty much changed the way I look at wireless peripherals, because they work, and have excellent battery life. The K360 suffers from having relatively terrible rubber domes, though, I recommend trying to find a demo unit to see for yourself. Rollover wise I haven't had too many issues that I recall.

I still wouldn't recommend them for a heavy duty gaming setup because it sort of feels like there's a barely noticable bit of lag on the mouse input, but it's not enough to where I can really, really notice it playing TF2.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out soonish. Apparently both Best Buys near me have it in stock, so hopefully I can go see how the keys feel. They look like they would feel more like laptop keys though.

And I guess if it affects gaming any, I could always just bring out the old keyboard from wherever I end up storing it for the games that really needed it.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Just ordered a Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless w/ Cherry MX Blues. Coming from a Logitech illuminated that has a few sticky keys (I'll try fixing them when I have another keyboard and use that with the laptop).

The Logitech keyboard has been great, but I remember how much I liked typing on old mechanicals (this thread reminded me). Thanks all, looking forward to this.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Bucket Joneses posted:

Ignoring the fact that you could have brought up your OS's character map and copied the character from there, I'm smirking at the fictitious chatlog in my head:

"Hey can you type something with an ecks in it?"
"what?"
"The key on my keyboard... it makes a cross and sounds like a... poo poo I don't know it's a loving letter. The one between the Z and the C."
"I'm not following..."

If I was your friend I would have dragged it on as long as possible.

I had a keyboard in college that had beer spilled on it. The random keys on the right half stopped working. I trained myself over a few months to type pretty fast with a mix of my left hand on the keyboard and using the mouse with the on screen keyboard for the broken keys. I think I ended up holding out for 5 months until I replaced it.

sarcasticsmoothie
Apr 7, 2011
Just got a Noppoo Choc Mini with MX Browns, first mechanical keyboard ever.

This thing is really cool, especially the ridiculous tininess, but it does seem like it could have been put together a little more securely. Some of the keycaps needed a good push not to look so wobbly.

Also, I need to relearn how to double tap keys.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

swarthmeister posted:

Which model do you use? I always enjoyed the MS 4000 Ergo Keyboard, aside from the crappy rubber switches.

The Cherry Brown Kinesis ergo boards (either Maxim or Contoured) always looked like the top-tier version of the same idea. Pricey though.

I use a MS Natural 4000 at work and I really like it, except that the fake leather stuff on the wrist rest is peeling off.

I've been using a Kinesis Advantage at home for about six months.
  • I still have trouble with the += and ~` keys.
  • I don't play games very much, but WASD are easy enough to hit.
  • The function keys are rubber membrane switches, not normal keyboard keys, and they're laid out weird. It always screws me up.
  • It's mechanical (Cherry Brown) so it's still pretty loud. I probably wouldn't want to use it in an office.

I was put off by the price originally, but I decided to just buy one, try it out, and return it if I didn't like it. If you order directly from Kinesis, it's $300 with a 60-day return policy. I got mine from The Human Solution for $240 with a 10% off coupon (regular price $269). The Human Solution charges a 10% restocking fee for returns.

mlnhd fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Oct 9, 2012

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

mlnhd posted:

I've been using a Kinesis Advantage at home for about six months.
I am a keyboard dork. Have a bunch, including a realforce (topre) board. Also have Cherry Blues, a version of the IBM clicky (by the company that has the patent - can't remember), along with a few others. I've searched for the perfect keyboard, and to date, haven't found it. All seem to have something about them I don't like...and I think that is the design.

I'm looking at the Kinesis Advantage with the 10% coupon. If you had to do it all over again, would you get the Advantage over anything else out there? I'm just searching for typing nirvana and think the Kinesis may do the trick, but am hesitant to sink another $250 or so into yet another board.

Thanks.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Are DAS Keyboards still considered good keyboards? I never really see anyone talk about them.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Ramadu posted:

Are DAS Keyboards still considered good keyboards? I never really see anyone talk about them.

They're built well but some folks don't like the shiny finish. Since they're similarly priced to Filcos, I see more mechanical keyboard folks opt for Filco.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Ramadu posted:

The shiny finish shows fingerprints fairly well. Also, they don't come in a tenkeyless version. I've used my friend's DAS (brown) and I personally like my Filco (blue) better.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Logitech released their mechanical keyboard, finally revealing what they were creating MX switch shortages for. :v:

The G710+ is a fully-backlit MX-Brown (apart from the half-height media keys) gamer (NKRO, with N=26 apparently) keyboard:

Dustin Sklavos posted:

The G710+ keyboard hardware has, in my opinion, only one major flaw: the glossy finish surrounding the keyboard. Outside of that, I can't help but feel like Logitech has essentially thought of pretty much everything you're going to want or need. The keyboard layout is traditional for American markets, so no learning curve there. The white LED backlighting with configurable brightness and zones is pleasing to the eye and can be adjusted to suit the individual's needs, and I'm always happy to see a wrist rest included. Beyond that, the G710+ experience is going to be up to how you feel about the switches themselves. I think the $149 MSRP is a bit onerous, but the K90 was selling for roughly as much when it released; at around $129 the G710+ should at least be competitive, though I personally would give the slight nod to the K90.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6358/logitech-g710-mechanical-keyboard-and-g600-mmo-mouse-capsule-review

Grim Up North fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Oct 9, 2012

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Function-wise that thing looks pretty cool, but it's ugly as gently caress.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Goddamn that keyboard looks like somebody barfed on it. Also :laffo: for calling a $150 mechanical keyboard expensive.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I dunno, I've seen less attractive keyboards in this thread and not all that long ago. It's not especially good-looking though (which is the one thing I'll give points to my Blackwidow on, the looks). I don't know about using browns though, but I do like a keyboard that can wake the dead with its clicking.

vvv Yeah, maybe I said that wrong. The fact that I like a loud keyboard is why them using browns is not an enticement to buy.

neongrey fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Oct 9, 2012

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
If it's browns and dampened like the review says, it probably won't be all that loud. Not compared to something with blues.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Grim Up North posted:

Logitech released their mechanical keyboard, finally revealing what they were creating MX switch shortages for. :v:

I really like the look of the Logitech Illuminated.. if they make one of those but tenkeyless, with mech switches...

gently caress I've got the keyboard bug :stonk:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 9, 2012

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

wipeout posted:

I really like the look of the Logitech Illuminated.. if they make one of those but tenkeyless, with mech switches...

gently caress I've got the keyboard bug :stonk:

No mechanical keyboard will ever look like a Logitech Illuminated. That keyboard looks nice because of its slim, modern profile. You can't do slim mechanical with the switches that are currently out on the market.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

neongrey posted:

I dunno, I've seen less attractive keyboards in this thread and not all that long ago. It's not especially good-looking though (which is the one thing I'll give points to my Blackwidow on, the looks). I don't know about using browns though, but I do like a keyboard that can wake the dead with its clicking.

vvv Yeah, maybe I said that wrong. The fact that I like a loud keyboard is why them using browns is not an enticement to buy.

The only exceptionally ugly part is the big orange frame, since orange is an pretty rare color for electronics, and the color is only present on the very edge of one side, making the whole thing look unbalanced.

Price is right, though, if it's a backlit mechanical with Logitech build quality / service. Hopefully they'll come out with one next that isn't enormous and doesn't have stupid useless features like backlighting and macros.

glompix posted:

No mechanical keyboard will ever look like a Logitech Illuminated. That keyboard looks nice because of its slim, modern profile. You can't do slim mechanical with the switches that are currently out on the market.

Why would you want a slim mechanical keyboard, though? Slim keyboards are usually too flat and feel like poo poo.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 9, 2012

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

glompix posted:

You're right about height, I should have mentioned. Perhaps I should have said I hope Logitech make something understated like the Illuminated keyboard.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 9, 2012

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

chippy posted:

Function-wise that thing looks pretty cool, but it's ugly as gently caress.

I like it, it looks like a prop from Alien. Faux-futuristic industrial-ish.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

pienipple posted:

I like it, it looks like a prop from Alien. Faux-futuristic industrial-ish.

Hopefully those WASD keys are optional. Even better if that stupid orange bit pops off, too.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I've seen no mention of normal-colored WASD and arrow keys for the Logitech mechanical, but there's also not a lot of coverage yet.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I actually really like the look of that Logitech..

Mostly I really like anything with good integrated wrist rests and decent media keys/scroller.

Interlude
Jan 24, 2001

Guns are basically hand fedoras.
It's also available in black, at least according to Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Mechanical-Keyboard-Tactile-High-Speed/dp/B009C98NPY/

Was going to pull the trigger on a Deck Legend but I think I'll wait to see how this one shapes up first.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Hypnolobster posted:

I actually really like the look of that Logitech..

Mostly I really like anything with good integrated wrist rests and decent media keys/scroller.

Yeah, I'm glad we finally have some mechanicals with real media keys now. Maybe they'll make a Mac version.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Interlude posted:

It's also available in black, at least according to Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Mechanical-Keyboard-Tactile-High-Speed/dp/B009C98NPY/

Was going to pull the trigger on a Deck Legend but I think I'll wait to see how this one shapes up first.

Hopefully the pictures are placeholders.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Filco Majestouch is here :3: I ended up with the full (none tenkeyless) one due to an ordering error, but I'm going to keep it.

I've been closing HTML tags with a certain flourish all day. ClackClack. I should have done this years ago.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

Cream_Filling posted:

Hopefully those WASD keys are optional. Even better if that stupid orange bit pops off, too.
They are not, and it does not. There is only one color scheme for the product.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
How dare they discriminate against ESDF players, then.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Cream_Filling posted:

How dare they discriminate against ESDF players, then.

This ain't Tribes 2 anymore, man. We gotta move on. :(

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

This sucks. My Filco is sometimes not detected on cold boot, no matter what ports I use (Or a PS2 adaptor). My old Logitech is detected fine.

Motherboard is Asrock Z77E-ITX, tried every BIOS version + beta versions.
Seems like a lot of people have USB probs of one form or another with Asrock. I'm not having much luck recently with hardware.

Wax On
Mar 22, 2007

drop a bat beat
I've noticed a problem with my Leopold tenkeyless since I put the little pink o-rings from WASD on. Keys will tend to pop off randomly, especially keys I seldom use like Page-Up or some of the F-keys. Has anyone else had this problem?

I'm thinking of picking up the foam dampeners from EliteKeyboards if this continues.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
So I recently popped all the keys off of my old IBM/Lenovo keyboard I got from work like 6 years ago. I put them into a warm soapy bath and hit the board with a damp towel and compressed air. I was amazed at how much hair, skin, and pop-tart crumbs were in my keyboard. Everything is squeaky clean and the keys work better than before. If you love your keyboard and are capable of getting under the keys with little effort, go do it.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I used to be able raid my old membrane switch keyboards for enough weed to build multiple spliffs. I'll kill anyone who skins up on my Filco though.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled
Anyone know what kind of keys the Microsoft TypeCover has? They tout mechanical switches, but don't say what kind and at 6mm thick, I'm skeptical.

http://www.microsoft.com/Surface/en-US/accessories/type-cover

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

glompix posted:

Anyone know what kind of keys the Microsoft TypeCover has? They tout mechanical switches, but don't say what kind and at 6mm thick, I'm skeptical.

http://www.microsoft.com/Surface/en-US/accessories/type-cover

I think they mean mechanical as in physical. If you're lucky they're scissor switches.

Or maybe Microsoft came up with something really cool, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Also yeah, I get why it has media keys instead of true function keys (you're not inheriting anything that actually depends on function keys since all you get is ARM apps from the Store and Office, and media keys might be actually useful). Still hard not to get angry about it on principle.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taels
Oct 19, 2012

K:CID:X
I rock a Filco majest2 (non 10-less dont believe the hype.) my only grime being that for the particular model with cherry blues i waited forever for restock, and then it was only available in camo... but after heavy use and some testing of other more trendy/popular/newer mech keyboards, I won't consider anything but cherry blues after my first experience with them; via a first run rosewill RK-9000.

that keyboard is like a baby to me the amount of time and night crews that i spent losing my mind over its loving tactile touch.i recently gave said rk9000 to my boy, fellow goon and best friend (he's saved my life, mostly from myself a few dozen times figured he deserved a legit keyboard. khinigeetaht mah boy.

i hear the new RK-9000 aren't made with the surplus filco boards anymore though, and generally have mucho problems (even mine had to be soldered again to fix an issue with the ps2/usb cord. been a while since i err, perused SA. mahalo goons,a city in the clouds. though seemingly less individual clouds i remember.

geekhack iirc has a great mech keyboard community

taels fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Oct 19, 2012

• Locked thread