Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
All of that looks amazing. Especially the di san xiang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

TychoCelchuuu posted:

All of that looks amazing. Especially the di san xiang.

follow the same recipe i posted a couples (years???) ago, but just deep fry evertyhing instead of shallow frying. It uses way more oil and is way more unhealthy but it is much better. I deep fried them in batches (potatoes, then eggplants, then peppers) then just threw the aromatcs in, then the veggies and finally the sauce to finish.

I deep fried the potats like 5-6 minutes to get em nice and crispy golden bown, eggplant similarish amount of time and the peppers only like 1 min or so. Once they started to blister i removed em.

Also if you do deep fry method it's helpful to drench the eggplant in some vinegar (to top them from turning brown beforehand) and potato/corn starch so they fry a bit better and get crispier. I also parboiled the potatoes cuz I'm a crazy person who do that but you don't have to.

Magna Kaser posted:

I made disanxian 地三鲜 and it ruled a lot today. i know it's been posted a bunch of times but i've been slightly altering a few recipes and here's the one that's been best so far.

what you need:

1. garlic 大蒜
2. spring onions 小葱
3. shaoxing wine 料酒
4. light soy sauce 生抽
5. salt 盐
6. white pepper 白胡椒
7. msg (if you aren't afraid of THINGS TASTING BETTER) 味精
8. 1 big 'ol potato (or more) 一个大土豆
9. 2~ green peppers 青椒 (or whatever color, or more!)
10. 1~2 chinese eggplants. 茄子 the long guys, not the fat guys. for a ratio you probably want eggplant > potato >> pepper in this dish so you can kinda figure out how much you need.
11. corn or potato starch 玉米淀粉/红薯淀粉
12. sesame oil 芝麻油
13. some sort of neutral cooking oil with a high smoke point (obv). I like peanut oil. 花生油 but you be you
14. sugar 白糖

here is how to make:

1. smash up like 4-6 cloves of garlic depending how much you wanna make.
2. cut up a few spring onions
3. make your sauces cuz you do that first in chinese cookin.

sauce 1, the sauce:

i do about a 2:1 ratio of light soy sauce (生抽)to shaoxing wine (料酒). for this you can start with like 2ish tablespoons of soy sauce and half that of shaoxing wine. then add just a little drip of sesame oil, maybe like 1 teaspoon or less, and then however much white pepper and sugar you feel like. I added more sugar than white pepper, maybe like double-ish. Salt I'm always pretty skimpy on since shaoxing wine and soy sauce are salty af. put the msg in here too.

anyway mix that crap up and put it to the side.

4. mix up some water with the corn or potato starch to make the slurry. i always do a 2:1 ratio here as well with water:corn starch. i'd say 2~3 tablespoons of water and then half of that for your thickening agent.

5. peel and cut the potato up. you want nice bite sized chunks, dont worry about uniformity that much just make sure they're similar-ish sizes.
6. at this point i always heat up a good amount of oil in my wok to medium/high heat. you want enough there is a very shallow pool of oil at the bottom of your wok cuz we're gonna shallow fry the potatoes but it doesn't need to be too too much.
7. throw the potatoes in. these take the longest to cook, probably 6-8 minutes or so. mix them up every couple of minutes so they don't burn but you shouldn't continuously be stirring since we want those golden crispy sides
8. at this point i chop up the peppers and eggplant but if you're a good chef you probably do all this at the start. you want the peppers in pretty decent sized square-ish pieces. for the eggplant get them in bite sized chunks as well.

9. by the time you're done this you've hopefully been stirring your potatoes up and theyre nice and brown mostly and not burnt. just throw the peppers in at this point and mix it up a bunch until the peppers start to blister a bit. this shouldn't take long, like 2-3 minutes.

Here is what my potat looked like when I put the peppers in. Browned up on most sides but not 100% done yet.

10. remove the veggies from the wok but leave the oil in. you should have a nice coating going on for your eggplant.
11. throw the eggplant in, make sure it's in an even layer so everything is touching the pan. depending on the size of your wok and how much you're making you may need to do 2 batches here. one recipe i found had some good advice of covering the wok and waiting like 1-2 minutes then mixing up the eggplant and repeating 4~ish times till they're cooked up.

12. once that's done remove the eggplant as well, you can just throw it on top of your potato and pepper.

13. add more oil if you need to, then heat it up over high heat and throw your garlic in. once that gets cookin and smelling nice throw all your veggies in then the sauce mixture we made earlier. Mix it all up.

14. now re-mix up your slurry since it's probably settled and throw that and most of the spring onions in. mix it up now and it'll get that thick goopy sticky sauce we want. coat everything in that delicious sauce.

15. put it in a dish and sprinkle the rest of the spring onions on it so it looks nice and you're done!!!

it's a lot of steps but this cooks very fast and when you get used to it you can probably throw it together in 15~ minutes or so which is why i like it (and why i do dumb things like chop veggies while I'm waiting for my potatoes to cook to save time).

anyway enjoy!!!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

:discourse:

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Magna Kaser posted:

this has been my quarantine journey.
Few questions!

1. What are those greens you cooked up next to the gong bao chicken and mapo tofu? And how?
2. I've never heard of avocado in mapo tofu, but it sounds so interesting that I'd like to try it. Was the mapo tofu with avocado recipe already posted?

Unrelated to Magna's post:
3. I've been reading Chinese Village Cookbook by Rhoda Yee and within it she mentions something she just refers to as "brown sauce." Or sometimes it's "brown bean sauce." The book was printed in 1975, and I'm wondering if there's another name for "brown sauce" that might be more commonly known?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

it's hp sauce, op

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

That Old Ganon posted:

2. I've never heard of avocado in mapo tofu, but it sounds so interesting that I'd like to try it. Was the mapo tofu with avocado recipe already posted?
https://www.latimes.com/food/story/2019-08-15/mapo-tofu-avocado-sichuan-chinese-recipe-chef-yu-bo

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure this has been covered here but long thread and all that...good mapo tofu recipe? I've never worked with szechuan peppercorns, so guidance there would be useful too. Thanks.

edit: gently caress just saw the post above. is that a reliable one despite the avocado?

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'm sure this has been covered here but long thread and all that...good mapo tofu recipe? I've never worked with szechuan peppercorns, so guidance there would be useful too. Thanks.

edit: gently caress just saw the post above. is that a reliable one despite the avocado?

This chef Yu Bo is legit, this recipe looks great. He's good friends with Fuschia Dunlop, whose recipe is incidentally also good for mapo tofu, but she uses pork and leeks, and the cooking technique might be a bit simpler/faster. I'm glad the Yu Bo recipe got posted, I'm definitely gonna try it out.

Sichuan peppercorns in the Yu Bo recipe are only used ground finely (less fine grinds might make the texture of the dish a bit gritty). Other recipes might include whole/crushed ones in the finished dish, but I prefer to infuse them in the cooking oil and strain them out so I don't bite into one while eating.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That Old Ganon posted:

Unrelated to Magna's post:
3. I've been reading Chinese Village Cookbook by Rhoda Yee and within it she mentions something she just refers to as "brown sauce." Or sometimes it's "brown bean sauce." The book was printed in 1975, and I'm wondering if there's another name for "brown sauce" that might be more commonly known?

My guesses would be hoisin or tianmianjiang. Can you post the context? That might help.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Yeah I got the avo idea from yu bos recipe and I really do like it. The idea is you get the texture of pig brain (ingredient in high end mapo tofu in China) without having to eat pig brain. It’s not like a must have but if I have an avocado on hand I’ll toss it in.

i also add more whole peppercorns than yu bo's recipe cuz I'm a huajiao fiend.

The veg was just spinach with a lot of garlic and stuff called “Suan ni bo can /蒜泥菠菜” in Chinese.

you can just copy the garlic one here but use spinach instead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-Yu8qOAEYQ

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 21, 2020

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

I’m sure this is not the correct thread to ask this but I’ll ask anyways. When I go to Thai places and some other asian places I love to put this spicy clear liquid with small tiny jalepenos on my food. What exactly is this condiment called? Normally it is served with other spicy sauces in clear little holders.

To summarize it is clear liquid with tiny sliced jalepenos in it.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
sounds like prik namsom

e: unless it's clear amber and fishy, then it's prik nam pla

large hands fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 26, 2020

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

large hands posted:

sounds like prik namsom

e: unless it's clear amber and fishy, then it's prik nam pla

Thank you!!! I love the stuff!

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Crossposting from the Cook or Die thread. While certainly not Chinese in technique, I went with very Chinese flavors in the sausage and the cured yolks.

Málà Spicy Scotchuan Egg, served with Korean Chili Lime Aioli, Cured Numbing Quail Egg and Roasted Sesame Broccolini with Fried Shallots

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
loving incredible

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Grand Fromage posted:

My guesses would be hoisin or tianmianjiang. Can you post the context? That might help.
Sure! I'll post the recipe. I know it's not hoisin sauce because hoisin has its own entree in her picture glossary at the end. Looking through it again, she says that the Chinese name for the brown sauce is "mein see." There's a picture next to it, but it's not anything I recognize. Or a great picture, honestly.

Rhoda Yee posted:

Dow Fu and Pork in Bean Sauce (Dow Fu Yuke)
Yield: 4 servings

• 1 large cake of dow fu (bean cake) or 4 small ones
  • 1/2 lb lean pork butt
  • 1 tbsp cornstarch
  • 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
  • 3 tbsp bean sauce
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 stalk green onion, chopped fine

Sauce mixture:

• 1 tsp. cornstarch
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 2 tbsp oyster sauce

2 tbsp. oil

Preparation: Slice pork butt into 1/8-inch pieces. Marinate with cornstarch and soy sauce for 1/2 hour. Cut dow fu into 1/2-inch cubes. Prepare sauce mixture.

Cooking: Heat wok. Add 2 tbsp oil and heat. Stir fry pork until almost done, about 1 1/2 minutes at most. Add bean sauce, sugar, water and dow fu. Mix lightly, careful not to break up the dow fu. Cover and cook over low heat for about 3-5 minutes or until dow fu is just heated through. Add the sauce mixture and stir until thickened. Sprinkle with green onions and serve.

Do ahead notes: Cook ahead and reheat slowly on low heat.

Comments: Dow fu in bean sauce is a favorite combination, like sour cream in beef stroganoff. Since dow fu is bland, it readily takes on the flavor of the bean sauce. By adding a little oyster sauce, it becomes a very rich and smooth-tasting dish.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
is dow fu just some bizarre freakish way to spell 'tofu' / doufu?

you might be looking for this:

https://www.amazon.com/Koon-Chun-Ground-Bean-Sauce/dp/B00012OI1O/ref=pd_sbs_325_t_0/137-4231145-2498257

koon chun also makes one that isnt 'ground' and has chunks of bean in it

Its not sweet-ish like hoisin sauce is and has a different flavor

https://www.amazon.com/Koon-Chun-Sauce-Chinese-13-Ounce/dp/B07Z284SYB

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 27, 2020

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

hakimashou posted:

is dow fu just some bizarre freakish way to spell 'tofu' / doufu?
It's not very bizarre or freakish. "Dou" and "dow" are more or less identical to a lot of non-English speakers. (Remember, the letters are called "u" and "double u" so it's not like they're easy to tell apart). And "fu" is the same as "fu."

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Remember that book is from before people outside the PRC started using pinyin, spelling was all over the place.

I got no clue about the bean sauce, hakimashou's might be it. My instinct in that recipe would be doubanjiang but that's my Sichuan experience and I don't think that's it, douban isn't really brown anyway. But I bet it'd taste good.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
E:

im a dumb idiot and was exposed to too much putonghua

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 27, 2020

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Grand Fromage posted:

Remember that book is from before people outside the PRC started using pinyin, spelling was all over the place.

I got no clue about the bean sauce, hakimashou's might be it. My instinct in that recipe would be doubanjiang but that's my Sichuan experience and I don't think that's it, douban isn't really brown anyway. But I bet it'd taste good.

Yuke (yuk) is cantonese for 肉 so its cantonese doufu rou and prob not doubanjiang

which would also explain 'dow fu' now that i think about it being dumb like i am!!!!

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 27, 2020

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Mein see is 面豉

fermented bean sauce/yellow bean sauce/bean sauce, probably in the same vein as that koon chun stuff

which might also help with the elusive 'noodle sauce' of this post?

toiletbrush posted:

I've got a question.

About 20 years ago there was a jar of spicy noodle (I think?) sauce you could buy in the UK that was loving delicious, but I've not been able to find it since, and have forgotten exactly what it was. It's a massive long shot but if some goon can point me in the right direction my mouth (but not my rear end) will be eternally grateful.

It might have been Chinese, or Thai, I'm leaning towards Thai, came in a short fat glass jar that looked similar to Lee Kum Kee's. You just stirred about a tablespoon or two's worth into noodles, and that was basically it - you could add other stuff if you wanted to but you didn't need to. It was a fairly light colour, possibly yellow-ish, and had lots of bits in it, more of a sauce than a paste but still quite thick. In terms of flavour, it was like the delicious background flavour that a lot of other sauces and pastes have but brought to the front and really strong, quite a dry flavour but a tiny bit sour too. It was possibly a bit yellow/black beany but much stronger, a bit like a satay sauce but without the peanut flavour. No fish or oyster sauce flavour.

Has anyone got the faintest idea what I might be talking about?

To the OP there's also Lee Kum Kee "soybean sauce" avail. online and both it and Koon Chun are cantonese producers so either would probably fit that recipe since its cantonese.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lee-Kum-Kee-Sauce-Soybean-Sauce-1-Bottle-One-NineChef-Spoon/165811494

One or the other should be available at any decent chinese/asian grocery store.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 27, 2020

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

hakimashou posted:

Mein see is 面豉

This is awesome, thank you! I'm going to look for it the next time I'm at 99 Ranch Market.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So this is a dumb question but can someone show me what the most common doubanjiang i might find/want to get looks like? I couldn't find any when I went to my Asian market last time and asking for help can be very hit or miss due to the language barrier.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Olive! posted:

Anyone have advice or any recommended recipe for 香酥牛肉饼? I've just learned about it and it's very interesting to me. I haven't ever heard of laminating dough with what is basically a roux.
No one responded to my niche request, so I went for this recipe. Twice, actually; the first attempt was uglier.

Excuse the poor photography.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

So this is a dumb question but can someone show me what the most common doubanjiang i might find/want to get looks like? I couldn't find any when I went to my Asian market last time and asking for help can be very hit or miss due to the language barrier.

lee kum lee has their version of it, but one suggestion if you're at the store is to use google shopping or images and you'll see a bunch of different brands

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BraveUlysses posted:

lee kum lee has their version of it, but one suggestion if you're at the store is to use google shopping or images and you'll see a bunch of different brands

Ok so dumb followup. I googled lee kum lee doubanjiang and I get toban djan. Is that the same thing?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

You want this one: https://www.amazon.com/Sichuan-Pixian-Xian-Broad-Paste/dp/B00A9OF6NS/

Most Asian markets also sell it for a good deal less than Amazon, but one bag will last you a good long while so it's not a crazy expenditure.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Magna Kaser posted:

You want this one: https://www.amazon.com/Sichuan-Pixian-Xian-Broad-Paste/dp/B00A9OF6NS/

Most Asian markets also sell it for a good deal less than Amazon, but one bag will last you a good long while so it's not a crazy expenditure.

Seconded. Sometimes there's an Asian lady on it. I don't know if it's a different brand, special marketing/promotion, or what. Also good.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I just got a can of bullhead sha cha sauce because all the descriptions sounded amazing. Are there any recipes that really show it off? I was planning to add a dab to some black bean laoganma beef stir fry because why the heck not.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Magna Kaser posted:

Excellent thank you. I assume refrigerate after opening?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Excellent thank you. I assume refrigerate after opening?

I put it in a mason jar and into the fridge.

I don't know how everyone else takes so long to get through it. I use one every month or two easily. Right now, it gets used more because my child really likes it too. Some people might think I'm using too much, but I only get 4-6 dinners out of one pouch.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

totalnewbie posted:

Seconded. Sometimes there's an Asian lady on it. I don't know if it's a different brand, special marketing/promotion, or what. Also good.

are you thinking of lao gan ma? I don't know any doubanjiang with a lady on it, but a lot of douchi (which laoganma and copycats make) do.

you need both for a lot of good sichuan food, though.

Jhet posted:

I put it in a mason jar and into the fridge.

I don't know how everyone else takes so long to get through it. I use one every month or two easily. Right now, it gets used more because my child really likes it too. Some people might think I'm using too much, but I only get 4-6 dinners out of one pouch.

lol 4-6 dinners feels like not many at all. I'm pretty generous and add like 1-2 tablespoons as a base for sauce and it lasts me a bit more than that. I am generally cooking for less people tho.

I didn't realize the price on Amazon was for 1 little bag, though. I'd check our your local asian grocer if you have one cuz I've seen it for much less there.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Ok so dumb followup. I googled lee kum lee doubanjiang and I get toban djan. Is that the same thing?

When I get Lee Kum Kee doubanjiang it usually has a weird spelling like that yeah, its the same stuff. "Chili bean sauce" it will usually say on it somewhere too.

LKK doubanjiang tastes different from real sichuan pixian doubanjiang, but it isnt a bad thing for me, since the LKK style was what I was more accustomed to from living in guangdong instead of sichuan.

LKK doubanjiang isnt nearly as complexly flavored, it isnt fruity or funky i guess, its just salty and spicy and savory. Its also more of a bright red than a dark red. To me its not worse, I really like it a lot, but it is different. If you want fully authentic sichuan flavor it might not work though, I dunno.

My main exposure to Lazi Ji (spicy chicken) was lat si gai, spicy chicken in cantonese, which I later figured out was pretty much just chicken stir fried in lee kum kee-style doubanjiang.

Asian grocery stores here will usually have LKK doubanjiang along with all the other LKK jars, and then real sichuan doubanjiang somewhere else, lot of times this brand. I keep both in the house

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
From what I was told the lady on the Pixian Dou Ban bag is a Chinese actress. I was told this by an older Chinese lady that works in a 99 Ranch Market. This was after she scolded me for trying to use jarred minced garlic instead of fresh garlic.

That Old Ganon fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Feb 28, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

She was right to scold you.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Magna Kaser posted:

are you thinking of lao gan ma? I don't know any doubanjiang with a lady on it, but a lot of douchi (which laoganma and copycats make) do.

No, it's this https://images.app.goo.gl/VXmAykm7rkXR8MXp8

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

That Old Ganon posted:

trying to use jarred minced garlic instead of fresh garlic.

You monster. Look up a video on how to mince garlic. It's dead easy with the right technique.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ok I got a big bag of Szechuan peppercorns. I know you throw away the insides right? Although these look opened and maybe sifted for that already? Mortar and pestle for grinding works best?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What I like to do instead of pouring them into a bowl or mortar I pour them into my hand and kinda roll them about with my thumb looking for the black fruit inside the rinds before I dump that handful in the bowl. If I see one with the fruit still inside I pick it out and throw it away. It's not worth it to try to pry it out. The fruit is gritty and bitter. The rind is the part you eat.