Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Stefan Prodan posted:

I mean I'm enjoying the pics, I'm sure I'd be enjoying it more if it were in my mouth which I will definitely do if I am ever in Vegas

sentences that apply equally to pizza thread and fetlife dot text

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
I'm trying to find ways to spend more time with my in laws and my partner together. Her dad has a big Blackstone backyard plancha (so like a giant flat top grill). Any tips on cooking pizza on a Blackstone specifically or a grill in general? I'm a mid tier home pizza maker but I know the basics and I have a baking steel and a stone. Any tips or links are appreciated.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I haven't popped in here lately but I'm currently positive for covid so I've had a chance to get weird with my poo poo because I have to isolate 😅

Who likes em thin? (Personal challenge)

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

cr0y posted:

I haven't popped in here lately but I'm currently positive for covid so I've had a chance to get weird with my poo poo because I have to isolate 😅

Yes, sometimes a pizza cracker is exactly what I want. That’s a fair fraction thinner than I’ve ever managed. Guess I’m aiming for even thinner next time, because that looks great.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Jhet posted:

Yes, sometimes a pizza cracker is exactly what I want. That’s a fair fraction thinner than I’ve ever managed. Guess I’m aiming for even thinner next time, because that looks great.

I'm drag racing this line

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

cr0y posted:

God bless I would devour that whole thing in 5 minutes and come back for another.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I don't like that for pizza but I do Sonoran burritos with that kind of thickness. You end up having to cook them on a wok because you need the curve to offset the surface area or you won't find a big enough flat surface to cook them. Apparently that's kind of close to the traditional method. It doesn't require yeast though, and I found that getting actual Sonoran wheat flour adds a delicious buttery nuttiness. I'll make a bunch for burritos and my wife will end up just eating them unadulterated.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

:allears:

It’s Pizza Kansas. Endless flat fields of cheese.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

cr0y posted:

Curious what dough recipe you use?

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

cr0y posted:

This looks exactly like a bar near me called Colony Grill, their are highly known and sought after for their take on "bar-style" super thin pizza. Not always what I want, but when I do god drat it does a hot oil and sausage pie hit the spot.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Neighbours chickens are laying like crazy and we get dibs on the surplus so...

Black Olives, egg added for last ten seconds of cooking. The pic doesn't do it justice, the yolk was beautifully runny.

My new favorite, ndjua calabrese and stilton. hosed up the launch but was tasty as hell.

Olive and Oregano foccacia with the excess dough

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

cr0y posted:

New York style is very much my poo poo; gimme gimme

mls
Jun 6, 2006
You wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.
Might as well just buy some 12” tortillas and put cheese on it

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

mls posted:

Might as well just buy some 12” tortillas and put cheese on it

The bakery job I'm quitting has a machine that can make 1-2mm thick dough circle as wide as a half-sheet pan (18" i think?).

It's small enough that you *could* use it at home, and even runs on a 120/240v cord.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Cr0y post your GOD drat recipe so I can make and eat it

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Went a bit northern Italian on this one. Rosemary, mozz, sliced potato, speck and an egg added with ten seconds to go.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Running in to drop this real fast, more details on the process tomorrow!

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

This page of the thread has some excellent looking pizzas in a variety of styles. You love to see it.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

ogopogo posted:

Running in to drop this real fast, more details on the process tomorrow!

It's like you have come full circle. It's back to grandma pies.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Question on freezing dough.

I usually make NY style dough (flour salt water yeast is all that’s in it) and let it cold ferment for three days in the fridge. Then I pull an hour before cooking and let it come to room temp.

I made a bunch of dough a few days ago in preps of having people over but plans changed. While I can eat 4 pizzas over two days, it’s probably not a great idea.

What’s the process for freezing/thawing/reusing this dough? It’s balled right now but has expanded due to the cold ferment. Not sure if I should squeeze out the air bubbles and then freeze in shrink wrap or something else.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

nwin posted:

While I can eat 4 pizzas over two days, it’s probably not a great idea.

Get out of this thread and write a pizza haters thread if you're gonna be like that

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I have definitely pulled a Papa John when I was on a pizza making kick.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Just freeze your balls, don’t squeeze your balls.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Ror posted:

I have definitely pulled a Papa John when I was on a pizza making kick.

< Insert joke about pizza making leading to bigotry here >

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
I don’t wanna get overly mushy but we just got our permits to proceed with construction - breaking ground next week on my first brick and mortar restaurant. The pizza journey has been long and weird but thanks y’all for enduring and helping me along the way over the years.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Glimpse posted:

Just freeze your balls, don’t squeeze your balls.

This is the way. I make a batch of 8 every few weeks and freeze them. Very little difference in the end product.

Take them out to thaw in the fridge the night before, and then out on the counter before cooking as usual.

I've gone straight from the freezer to the counter a few times, which just takes 3-4 hours of course. But it still worked OK.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

ogopogo posted:

I don’t wanna get overly mushy but we just got our permits to proceed with construction - breaking ground next week on my first brick and mortar restaurant. The pizza journey has been long and weird but thanks y’all for enduring and helping me along the way over the years.

so happy for you dude and thanks for all the time sharing your techniques and stuff with us

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Nthing the just freeze the balls, they thaw and work fine as is. I just ball mine up in plastic wrap

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

ogopogo posted:

Congrats! I love seeing your pics here and on IG

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

It's here!

Dough today, figuring out which fuel and pies tomorrow!

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

ogopogo posted:

Congrats man! Looking forward to seeing the pics

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I pulled the trigger on a ooni Karu 16 today

I am, excuse the pun, stoked

I didn't order the gas adapter

nwin posted:

Question on freezing dough.

I tend to just freeze the cooked pizzas, that way I can have homemade pizzas in 10 mins for lunch from the normal oven.

ogopogo posted:

I don’t wanna get overly mushy but we just got our permits to proceed with construction - breaking ground next week on my first brick and mortar restaurant.

Congratulations, some of the pizza pictures in this thread are truly outstanding

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

toplitzin posted:

It's here!

Dough today, figuring out which fuel and pies tomorrow!

Can’t wait to see what you make out of this! New ovens are always exciting.

And thanks everyone for the kind words and support! I’ll try and keep the thread updated as we get into construction. One thing I can share is our sign that we just approved to build. Took a couple iterations to find the best design vs. budget but we got there!

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Motor City Elote pizza…

Brick cheese edge, parkay butter, tajin, and cotija topped with light mozz and wood fired corn. Finished with chipotle aioli and cilantro lime aioli, fresh cilantro, and cotija.

78% hydration dough pan proofed in the fridge for 72hrs, then room temp proof for 8 hours. Dimpling for the first two hours every 30 mins.
Parbake at 500, cool completely, wrap in plastic and freeze!

Light as a cloud, crispy bottom, perfect cheese edge. My best Detroit so far, and I’ve got 4 more frozen ready to go later this week.

ogopogo fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 22, 2022

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

ogopogo posted:

Motor City Elote pizza…

Brick cheese edge, parkay butter, tajin, and cotija topped with light mozz and wood fired corn. Finished with chipotle aioli and cilantro lime aioli, fresh cilantro, and cotija.

78% hydration dough pan proofed in the fridge for 72hrs, then room temp proof for 8 hours. Dimpling for the first two hours every 30 mins.
Parbake at 500, cool completely, wrap in plastic and freeze!

Light as a cloud, crispy bottom, perfect cheese edge. My best Detroit so far, and I’ve got 4 more frozen ready to go later this week.

How do you distribute the time as far as like how long do you parbake and then how long do you cook on the final cook?

Looks great!

If you're doing this in a normal home oven would I do this on the steel (warmed up for an hour) or just on a rack?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yeah, I've gotta try this myself next week.
I know you posted some of the times you were using, what recipe did you go with for the dough?

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 23, 2022

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Got an ooni koda 12 for my birthday.

First attempt:

Incinerated, raw in the middle

Fourth one:

Edible!

Had a very hard time stretching my dough. I used KA bread flour at 60%, bulk ferment in the fridge for 48 hours, divided into balls and let rest at room temp fro 6 hours.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

NomNomNom posted:

Got an ooni koda 12 for my birthday.

First attempt:

Incinerated, raw in the middle

Fourth one:

Edible!

Had a very hard time stretching my dough. I used KA bread flour at 60%, bulk ferment in the fridge for 48 hours, divided into balls and let rest at room temp fro 6 hours.

Maybe ball it up/separate before you put it in the fridge.

Did you take it out of the fridge, wait 6 hours, and then try to ball/seperate? If so that would definitely explain why you couldn’t easily stretch it. Maybe try taking it out of the fridge and seperating/balling it immediately, then let it rest for a few hours before trying to stretch if you want to keep the bulk ferment going.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I divided it and then let it sit at room temp for 6 hours. I'd stretch it reasonably thin and get it on the peel and it would spring back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I like to stretch the dough then let it rest for a few min then stretch again.