Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Stoat posted:

I'm sure I'm not the only one who hopes we get more visual novels (or sound novels or whatever they're calling them) in the future because Sickle Weasel was totally awesome.

The genre is generally called visual novels but when ChunSoft invented them they called their games "sound novels". In this specific case both terms are appropriate.

Stoat posted:

Has he done any other murder mysteries other than Hokkaido Serial murders? (And arguably Clocktower I guess)

They are the best :3:

Detective Saburou Jinguuji: Shinjuku Central Park Murder Mystery is an obvious one. And who could forget the sinister mystery of Kirby's Dream Course?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrgnatlas
Feb 24, 2012

Slime dropped 187 Gold!

Almost forgot about GCCX this week, class has been tough after catching up from Golden Week! Fortunately, the 2nd part to Dynamite Headdy is on tonight, and it starts in roughly 2 hours. See you guys there!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I wasn't surprised that Arino was so good at shiritori in Wagyan Land. His Japanese Wikipedia page states that he's a 8th-dan shiritori master in the Toranomon Shiritori Ryuo (Dragon King) competition among entertainers. Kan does call Arino "Shiritori Ryuo Arino" a couple of times, and rather than "It's robot dragon versus Asian dragon", Kan was saying "It's dragon versus Ryuo (Arino)".

The Shiritori Ryuo competition is pretty advanced, with competitors making up entire sentences on given themes that still adhere to the basics of shiritori. I'd love to see a round or two (with Arino, of course). The examples on the Wikipedia page are impressive, but are mostly taken out of context so you can't see how well they chain on either end.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
5 mins to a new GCCX!

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

joek0 posted:

5 mins to a new GCCX!

Annnd we're live!

shrgnatlas
Feb 24, 2012

Slime dropped 187 Gold!
I'm learning so much! New AD can't draw for poo poo.

Korokke and cardigans. What a wonderful Tamage segment.

This kid needs his own show.

Seconds before Arino chases after a group of kids.

Last chance! HIT, HIT, AWAY!

Even the king agrees! Good luck Arino!

The last boss is a perfect example of why Arino would not be able to take on these games without the help from his staff:

AGAIN!? REALLY!?

This weeks incantation:

Some information for this month's event for those that are interested:

Of course, you can't forget the informercials!

shrgnatlas fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 10, 2012

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

The return of Old Man Arino. :allears:

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
The stream missed the next episode hint. Did anyone catch it or will someone post it when it goes up on fujitv's website.

joek0 fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 10, 2012

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Stoat posted:

Has he done any other murder mysteries other than Hokkaido Serial murders? (And arguably Clocktower I guess)

They are the best :3:
Takeshi's Challenge isn't a murder mystery, but it is an adventure game, a weird and bad one.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Stoat posted:

Jinguuji Saburou, a.k.a. Jake Hunter. I'm still debating how far I should localize that one when translating it. The first case file in the DS game "Jake Hunter: Memories of the Past" is a modern remake of the first Jinguuji Saburou game (the one Arino plays), so the character names and location names were localized to English (Jinguuji Saburou = Jake Hunter, Youko Misono = Yulia Marks, Sanzou Kumano = Scott Kingsley, etc. Shinjuku is changed to Aspicio) -- however, it's not quite the same game because the story gets more and more different from the old version the more it goes along. When following a mystery, I think it always helps to have localized names because they're easier to remember... but I'm leaning towards just sticking to the Japanese names.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 10, 2012

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I think you should stick with the Japanese names. The English version is extremely obscure so it isn't a case viewers will be confused by the changes and I imagine there is specific Japanese imagery which would clash with any name changes.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Mister Chief posted:

I think you should stick with the Japanese names. The English version is extremely obscure so it isn't a case viewers will be confused by the changes and I imagine there is specific Japanese imagery which would clash with any name changes.

The obscurity of the English version is what's making me think I don't have to adhere to it, yeah.

There's no need to worry about the culture thing though. There is no specific Japanese imagery in the original version as far as I can recall. It can all translate to an American location very well.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Did I hear Arino mention Cat's Eye when talking about the OL trio, by the way?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Takeshi's Challenge isn't a murder mystery, but it is an adventure game, a weird and bad one.

I have trouble referring to it as "bad" when it accomplished exactly what it set out to do, which is be a chore and piss the player off. It's brilliant!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Light Gun Man posted:

Yes, he said they were wearing Cat's Eye outfits, or catsuits (judging from the shapely silhouettes, I presume).

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Light Gun Man posted:

Yes, when they were posing for the picture, he compared them to Cat's Eye. (I decided to do away with the reference due to lack of time in that instance, and also because of the next comparison he makes. In retrospect I could've translated it to "it's the Cat's Eye pose," but alas...)

And when he said "just like Mori Sanchuu," he was referring to when a trio of female comedians dressed up like them. Mori Sanchuu's entire schtick is being fat and ugly. Seriously. You might remember when Arino told Tsuruoka he bears a resemblance to one of them. If you follow Downtown's stuff, you may've seen Hamada thoroughly abuse them.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 10, 2012

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Well god drat, they loving nailed it.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
That was pretty much what I was expecting was going on, thanks for the info!

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

zari-gani posted:

If you follow Downtown's stuff, you may've seen Hamada thoroughly abuse them.

Were they the ones who did that sauna rubix cube thing on Gaki no Tsukai?

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

^^^ Yep!

I finally made the banner ad I've had in my head for a while. Anyone want to put it in the rotation?

vvv Thanks a lot! Maybe when the DVD comes out, we should put one about it in rotation?

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 10, 2012

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
^^^ Sounds like a plan

zari-gani posted:

^^^ Yep!

I finally made the banner ad I've had in my head for a while. Anyone want to put it in the rotation?

It looks like it's 7.95 a month, so I'd be down for two months. Be a way to give back to this thread.

It is done. Two months starting tomorrow, using the pic Zari-Gani provided.

Vlaphor fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 10, 2012

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

joek0 posted:

The stream missed the next episode hint. Did anyone catch it or will someone post it when it goes up on fujitv's website.

The hint is "___-kun" (two blank spaces). It could be a number of things. Akuma-kun, Ninja-kun... more if it goes beyond two characters.

Opendork
Jan 14, 2006

It's pretty amazing that Arino was able to figure out the entire mystery on his first try, even if he chose the wrong way to present it. Now I wish there was an english version of the game so I could see the other endings.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Opendork posted:

It's pretty amazing that Arino was able to figure out the entire mystery on his first try, even if he chose the wrong way to present it. Now I wish there was an english version of the game so I could see the other endings.

I don't know. If you're familiar enough with mysteries it wasn't that tough to figure out. I had about 95% of the solution almost immediately and the 5% I was missing was because they made part of the scheme needlessly complicated.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

I don't know. If you're familiar enough with mysteries it wasn't that tough to figure out. I had about 95% of the solution almost immediately and the 5% I was missing was because they made part of the scheme needlessly complicated.

This is true. I'm a big fan of murder mysteries (Kindaichi Shonen, anyone?) and, of course, murder mystery games. There are some pretty typical tricks in there. For example, when someone is "attacked" by the killer and survives, 9 times out of 10, they're the killer and inflicted injury on themselves to remove suspicion.

Opendork
Jan 14, 2006

True. I guess I just didn't expect the game to let you do that so early on.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

This is true. I'm a big fan of murder mysteries (Kindaichi Shonen, anyone?) and, of course, murder mystery games. There are some pretty typical tricks in there. For example, when someone is "attacked" by the killer and survives, 9 times out of 10, they're the killer and inflicted injury on themselves to remove suspicion.

And I've seen/read the murderer smuggles in the victim while pretending to be the victim thing a few times as well. As soon as the strange guy was checking in my mystery sense started tingling.

I've never heard of Kindaichi Shonen; my taste in mysteries tends more toward the classics. I'll have to order a few of them and give them a try.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I don't know why, but I love the way they pronounce Door Door.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

I've never heard of Kindaichi Shonen; my taste in mysteries tends more toward the classics. I'll have to order a few of them and give them a try.

He's like a less-cool Detective Conan. :colbert:

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Night of the Sickle Weasals has turned out to be one of my favourite episodes in a while and I think it really reinforces my feelings that Arino works best with narrative-focused games (Tokimemo, Clock Tower, etc...). After you remove the nostalgia of dying a billion times in Ninja Gaiden or something, I don't really find those episodes very interesting outside of Arino delivering some funny lines once in a while.

It was an interesting way to experience a game that I don't think has been fan translated so far. The narrative was a lot more solid that Hokkaido Serial Murders as well.

The funny thing is, I couldn't get the mystery right because I was coming up with overly meta explanations involving multiple timelines. I probably shouldn't have been so paranoia about a game from 1994.

Got a question on the ending though (for those who have played it)

What's up with the statement where Mari (I think) was confused that Toshio killed himself when the gun was right there with them? Was this supposed to signify something, or did he own a second gun and was an undercover cop or something?

Tucked In The Cut
Nov 15, 2006

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'd rather brush my teeth
with a rusty razor
than front and bullshit
with all you fakers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comrade Fakename posted:

I don't know why, but I love the way they pronounce Door Door.

*Dwah Dwah*

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Obeast posted:

Also, could I request a GIF of the part where it flashed the black and white pictures of AD Takahashi, her horrible drawing of a baby chicken Wagan, and Arino before he game over'd on the final level? That was one of the best moments of the episode for obvious reasons.

So tempted to try to get this down to avatar size...

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Davzz posted:

Got a question on the ending though (for those who have played it)

What's up with the statement where Mari (I think) was confused that Toshio killed himself when the gun was right there with them? Was this supposed to signify something, or did he own a second gun and was an undercover cop or something?

I did a lot of research on this game when I translated it. Night of the Sickle Weasel has tons of different endings. Not just in the main murder story -- after getting a set number of endings (three, I believe), you begin unlocking alternate paths that lead to completely different stories. There's a ghost story, a spy story... And once you do those ones, you unlock a few more story paths that are poking fun at itself (the "group of Kamai" featured in the Pac-Man 2 episode is one of them -- those other characters named Kamai don't exist in any of the other story paths. After that revelation, the story ends right there. It's really more of an easter egg than anything).

What bothers me about the ending featured in this episode is Arino didn't get the "good ending." There is a slightly better ending where it ends on a happy note -- Mari saves Toru's life by knocking out Mikimoto, Toru and Mari kiss and no one kills themselves, so it's weird how the show was fine with this.

But anyhoo, to answer Davzz question: yes, there is something that wasn't shown in the episode that will explain this part better. Also I should've done more research and combed through the path Arino played because I made a slight translation error (not that it would've mattered much, since this part isn't even explained in the episode): After Toshio knocks out Mikimoto, he picks up the gun. Toru thinks he's going to kill Mikimoto, then remembers that the money Mikimoto stole is being delivered to the ski lodge. Toru wonders if Toshio is about to kill everyone to steal the money... until Toshio removes the clip and hands it over to Toru. Toshio then retreats to his room. Then Toru remembers that the type of gun Mikimoto used automatically loads the chamber with the next bullet after it fires, but by then it's too late and Toshio kills himself. So Mari's line should've been "but the bullets are there, right?" Boy this will haunt me for weeks to come.

Shock Trooper posted:

I am also surprised Night of the Sickle Weasel hasn't been fan translated. If I knew how to hack a ROM I'd probably try my hand at it.

Stoat posted:

I only regret that Arino never once claimed to be the killer himself. I wanted to see what happened real bad :(

What happens is Toshio stabs Toru. As Toru dies he regrets saying that in jest since Toshio obviously can't take a joke.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 08:14 on May 11, 2012

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
What path is shown in Pac Man 2's episode for the Read Along segment on Revenge of the Sickel Weasel?

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Shock Trooper posted:

zari-gani posted:

Thank you for these! I wasn't planning on having it as an avatar, but now it's tempting. I have no idea if I'll actually do it since my current one was a birthday gift from a fellow goon, but if someone else wants it, they can have it. :)

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

zari-gani posted:

I am also surprised Night of the Sickle Weasel hasn't been fan translated. If I knew how to hack a ROM I'd probably try my hand at it.

As much as I'd like to see it, it would take someone well skilled in SNES ASM to do that. The parts where you enter the name to accuse someone would need extensive hacking, and there'd have to be a variable-width font routine because reading that much text in 320p in fixed-width would probably make your eyes fall off.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

This was a great episode. I like it when we get episodes based around games that didn't leave Japan or are pretty obscure, like Sickle Weasel or Go By Train/Densha de Go.

I liked that Arino based some of his decisions on what he thought would look good to Mari. :allears:

Also, I got the same idea that Arino did regarding Mikimoto and was just as surprised as he was when it seemed not to be the case. It was pretty funny that he went on from a bad ending to get the absolute worst ending, not to mention the ending where Maru took the job offer, left the ski lodge and Mari, and came back 20 years later to get embroiled in another murder case.

I wouldn't mind seeing more episodes like these get translated, bearing in mind that they must be an absolute pain in the rear end to translate and time with all the extra text on screen in certain scenes.

Arthur D Wolfe
Sep 26, 2007

"Holy shit you are a
loathsome jerk, Arthur.
"
Both Wagan Land and Night of the Sickle Weasel were great little episodes. Thanks for the translation work as always zari-gani!

Humongous Pear posted:

[...] not to mention the ending where Maru took the job offer, left the ski lodge and Mari, and came back 20 years later to get embroiled in another murder case.
That ending becomes a lot more interesting when you realise that Toru becomes the Man from Kansai, arriving at the ski lodge with his wife just in time for the cycle to repeat itself. No time has actually passed, as the lodge looks exactly the same down to the calendar on the wall. It is a curse you must pass on to escape from. :tinfoil:

Also, like others in the thread, I had both murderer and method pinned pretty much the instant the information became available. Japanese murder stories almost always follow the same pattern, so once you read a dozen or so you start to pick up on the narrative tropes subconsciously. Reading too much detective fiction ruins it for you, is the sad truth.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Please let me cling on to the false hope that When the Seagulls Cry does something different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
It's different for all the wrong seasons.
I suggest that you leave it and never look back personally.