Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
MG Universe Booster should solve your problem then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Caros posted:

While I absolutely LOVE the Build Strike I'm just not feeling the build booster. Just adds too much bulk to the back of the model as with the 00 gundam (which I also have seperate from the raiser).

Still gotta try removing the wings from a Freedom and seeing if I can make it work.

Assuming you mean to stick the Freedom's Wings onto the Build Strike, that should work. Dalong.net's great for looking up stuff like that.

http://dalong.net/review/mg/m176/m176_p.htm

http://dalong.net/review/mg/m72/m72_p.htm

BlitzBlast posted:

MG Universe Booster's box is kind of mediocre, but holy hell the kit.

It comes with both the Plavsky Wings and the Power Gate. :swoon:

drat, those wings are gorgeous on the MG :allears:.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So uh, there anyway to unfuck this up or am I ordering a new face.
http://imgur.com/dLKOVrC

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

Make a battle damage custom?

Otherwise, I don't think that's fixable.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

Yeah, I think battle damage is about your only option.

e: Wait, is that cracked or did you just slip with the pen? If it's just ink it should wipe right off.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Is that spilled ink or actual cuts?

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Ink from trying to panel wash. I've got a new faceplate ordered but I'm gonna paint over it for now. I can not get it out.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
Um. What the heck are you using that doesn't just wipe right off?

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Enamel paint and paint thinner mix. I'm not sure what the hell happened. There's been a few other things if had issues with on this kit.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
If it's not wiping off, dunk it in iso alcohol for an hour or two. Then it'll wipe off.

The best reason I can give is that you didn't wash your pieces, maybe? That's usually not necessary for a panel wash, but if you had some really greasy fingers you could end up with a stain like that.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Looks to me like there were a bunch of little scratches that got filled in with the ink. Same sort of thing happened to me on my Freedom model the first time.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

Enamel paint and paint thinner mix. I'm not sure what the hell happened. There's been a few other things if had issues with on this kit.

I had some problems with a bottle of Testor's enamel that did that and also embrittled the plastic such that it shattered when I put it in the thinner after a panel lining mishap. That whole kit was very brittle, though - I'm thinking they may have had a bad batch of plastic because I've never seen that happen before or since.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

It's a wonderful day, it is, for Nobell Gundam finally got a restock!

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I'm thinking that too on both counts.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
Is there any way to get the 7-11 exclusive Gunpla (http://gundamguy.blogspot.com/2014/01/hguc-1144-rx-93-nu-gundam-ver-gft-7_22.html) in the US?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Gentei Kits stocks them, but you're not going to find any in American 7-11s.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The fin funnel with the 7-11 logo has me giggling far more than it has any right to.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

BlitzBlast posted:

Even if you don't use it, Zeta 2.0 is still designed to transform. The arms are incredibly awkward, the balance is a joke, most of its weapons are too big for their own good, and good luck doing anything beyond the box art pose.

It's still miles better than the 1.0, but the Zeta is by far the worst of the 2.0s. The design is just straight up not model kit friendly.

At least Zeta comes with a stand; it's absolutely abysmal to try and pose without it, even with those big ol fuckin feet.

Worth noting that the hyper mega launcher is bascially only feasible in space. Still, it bugs me that the quality of hand design is all over the loving place for MGs. You'd have think they would have nailed a double peg / hole system for the palms or something by now. The ones with the minuscule slit / hole are a joke.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Finally spray coated this RX-78-2 Ver.Ka I did a little while ago... and then I realized I forgot to do the decals. :doh:
Ah well, I can always probably recoat it after... :sigh:

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So it turns out this kit was a bad plastic batch. I'm gonna be heading to the hobby store tomorrow for rubber cement. Any recommendations?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

So it turns out this kit was a bad plastic batch. I'm gonna be heading to the hobby store tomorrow for rubber cement. Any recommendations?

how did you determine that it was the plastic's fault and not your own?

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Fauxtool posted:

how did you determine that it was the plastic's fault and not your own?

Edit: after reading what I just typed the face bit was my gently caress up but I think a bit was damaged in shipping too. Bend marks on parts probably doesn't come from the factory.

SethSeries fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 2, 2014

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I got some copper paint to touch up the joints on the RX78 3.0, but can I do it without priming?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I don't think using an enamel-based wash on bare plastic is too great of an idea, myself. Compared to acrylic it's more toxic, more likely to damage the plastic, and any advantage from its better flow characteristics is pretty much cancelled out by the first two points.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Bimmi posted:

I don't think using an enamel-based wash on bare plastic is too great of an idea, myself. Compared to acrylic it's more toxic, more likely to damage the plastic, and any advantage from its better flow characteristics is pretty much cancelled out by the first two points.

To expand on this: Testor's Enamel Thinner is some seriously potent stuff. I've literally had pieces dissolve in my hand due to mishaps and accidents. Once dropped a Master Grade Crossbone's head into the wash by accident. Disintegrated like nothing I'd seen before.

At least get a clear coat on that sucker and for the love of god let it cure. That's another thing enamel thinner will do: pull up anything. Don't let your clear coat properly cure? Well, hope you didn't like that paintjob.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
Well I just sliced one of the cool foil stickers for the visor of my rg RX-78-2 in half putting it on. Any tips for putting those things on or should I give up and paint it?

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Mecha Gojira posted:

To expand on this: Testor's Enamel Thinner is some seriously potent stuff. I've literally had pieces dissolve in my hand due to mishaps and accidents. Once dropped a Master Grade Crossbone's head into the wash by accident. Disintegrated like nothing I'd seen before.

At least get a clear coat on that sucker and for the love of god let it cure. That's another thing enamel thinner will do: pull up anything. Don't let your clear coat properly cure? Well, hope you didn't like that paintjob.

That's what I'd been using for panel washes. Man I wish I'd known that. Hell it may have contributed to last night's head erosion.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Mecha Gojira posted:

To expand on this: Testor's Enamel Thinner is some seriously potent stuff.

Yeah this is probably the issue. Personally I use Turpenoid, which so far has proven to be a lot safer (in the quantities I use it, aka literally one drop) and yet still effective at thinning enamels. Odorless too!

Anonymous Robot posted:

I got some copper paint to touch up the joints on the RX78 3.0, but can I do it without priming?

Sure but get a coat of gloss black underneath it first so the copper can shine. Also get ready for the paint on the arms to scratch like crazy.

The Missing Link posted:

Well I just sliced one of the cool foil stickers for the visor of my rg RX-78-2 in half putting it on. Any tips for putting those things on or should I give up and paint it?

Gently remove it from the sticker sheet with the edge of your knife, apply it without touching it, and then flatten it with a q-tip or something. Generally you want to reduce the amount of contact your skin has the stickers since skin oil does crazy poo poo.

Also to be totally honest you should probably just get the waterslides or something since stickers are pretty much the worst of the various kinds of decals.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 2, 2014

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So before I go get glue, even though I ordered parts which are a ways off, is there anything I can get to kinda restrengthen that face bit from last night? I'm getting some plastic cement, but didn't know if there was anything else.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.

BlitzBlast posted:

Gently remove it from the sticker sheet with the edge of your knife, apply it without touching it, and then flatten it with a q-tip or something. Generally you want to reduce the amount of contact your skin has the stickers since skin oil does crazy poo poo.

Also to be totally honest you should probably just get the waterslides or something since stickers are pretty much the worst of the various kinds of decals.

I've got water slides coming but I thought the foil would look better for just the eyes. We'll see.

I picked it off the sheet with tweezers and set it on the piece just a little crooked. I had to use my knife to get under it to reposition and it just folded up and got sliced in half.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Tbat's the annoying part about stickers/dry transfers, you only really get one shot.

hallo spacedog posted:

Finally spray coated this RX-78-2 Ver.Ka I did a little while ago... and then I realized I forgot to do the decals. :doh:

Over here I've finished lining my 3.0. Now for all of these waterslides. :shepicide:

Also the 2.0's attachments are compatible with the 3.0, but don't really work all that well. Super Napalm is still too heavy for the wrist, the new way the beam sabers connect to the hand mean I can't do the javelin toss pose with the Beam Javelin, and the Gundam Hammer just kind of sits in the hand.

The greatest shame of all is that the shield's hardpoints are no longer compatible with the Bazooka's peg though. My dreams of a double bazooka shield, gone. :negative: Until I Future it.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Your super napalm is backwards.
It was almost too heavy for an unpainted 2.0 as well, but the twohanded pose with it is great so no complaints there.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Well poo poo, it is. Sometimes I wonder what the hell I was smoking when I first built my 2.0.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Can you not use acrylic-based paints? All my experience comes from warhams days long since passed, but it's just a little detail work I need to do and if it means buying primer and enamel paints, I'll probably just chill on it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It's not like you can't use acrylics, but metallic enamels look waaaaaaay better. Either way the most important thing is to get a coat of gloss black (doesn't have to be a primer, you can just use paint) on the plastic first. It'll completely kill the original color of the plastic, and the gloss will help the copper paint shine.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Ok so a bit of an update. I fixed the broken parts on my Turn A with Testor's plastic cement. I pained over the super small cracks and it looks ok. Was wondering if I could apply a layer of cement to maybe seal them then repaint over, or just leave it be.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Plastic cement works by melting the plastic, so I really would not recommend that.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Hey guys, just sort of dipping my toe into this whole anime robot model kit thing. A few questions and comments:

1 - If I want to build dioramas and little vignette type deals on various sized bases, is there any reason to buy RG kits over HG/etc? I like the 1/144 size a lot, and it looks like most of the RG's details are internal stuff, or things that make it a better action figure/etc. Blingier parts arent really an advantage easier because I will probably be 100% repainting the HG kits.

2 - Does anyone have any experience with Kotobukiya's kits? I really like some of the broken blade, armored core etc. series of giant robots. I am more of a giant robot fan than a Gundam fan specifically, so when I start posting kits Ive finished I will prob be all over the place as far as which kit I chose that week or whatever.

3 - I have a lot of experience with model painting (wargaming stuff/etc). and airbrushing. Would anyone be interested if I posted some alternate ways to panel line/weather/etc. not using enamels and turps? I refuse to use anything that isnt acrylic, I have a pretty sensitive respiratory system so I stick only to acrylics for any painting project. I can post my experiments here if anyone gives a poo poo.

4 - I'm also looking at some various garage kit resin kits from Berserk and poo poo like that. Is that cool to post here?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

1. RG kits look better out of the box and are more posable. Dunno why you think most of the detail is on the inside though, there's a ridiculous amount of surface detail on them. The selection is pretty small though, and unless you put the work into the accompanying HGs to also look as good it'll clash. Go with HGs.

2. Captain Invictus posted some SRW kit reviews a while back, and they're on the first page. In general the plastic quality isn't as good, the prices are higher, and the availability much worse. Other then that they're solid.

3. It's already well-known that you can do a panel wash with acrylics, and I'm not really sure where you heard that you can only weather with enamels. Sounds interesting though, so go for it.

4. I think we talked about this a couple pages ago or something? Seem to recall Mecha Gojira not really wanting to go down the figure rabbit hole and everyone else just shrugging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Cool. I wasnt sure if it was a consensus thing that enamels were better or something, I havent read the whole thread (yikes!). As far as statues, thats cool, Ill just ping the OP if/when I have anything that isnt a GIANT ROBOT. Thanks for the info :)

• Locked thread