Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

What I'm hearing is basically that he is a pre-2004 version of Democratic party polling whose methodology and assumptions are vastly outdated.

That, plus a healthy dose of absolutely repulsive personality traits. He comes off as mean-spirited and entitled.

e:

comes along bort posted:

e: turns out he was responsible for those Bing vs. Google ads too. You know, that search engine you had to google to find out what it is.

You have absolutely made my week by cluing me in on this. No wonder Bing's ads are so unbelievably awful and off-putting.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, but he's not any more physically or personally repulsive than Rove, who is also just disturbing to watch and listen to as a human being. Of course there are plenty of physically repulsive human beings who are great people, but Rove's only redeeming characteristic is that he won elections for his party. They never would have let him in the house without it.

I love that line in Boogieman: The Lee Atwater Story (I've watched the full version probably 50 times) where, I think, Alterman Fineman says, "The Bushes never regarded him as anything other than the hired help, and a somewhat untrustworthy member of the hired help. They could always jettison him, if they had to, cut him loose in a second. And Lee was perfectly willing because it gave him entree to the world of power and celebrity that he so craved." That's who these people like McAuliffe and Atwater and Rove and Penn are. Though, as horrible a human being as he was in many ways, at least Atwater was a genuinely charming human being personally. I know it's easy to say, "He was a horrible human being" but you can tell by the range of people who genuinely considered him a friend that on a personal level he was pretty charming. Some pretty thick irony there given that he's arguably the worst of the bunch from a public morality level. He was the last of the redneck seat-of-your-pants political consultants to make it that high, anyway. We won't see that again any more than, as Adar pointed out, we'll see a Bill Clinton again.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

comes along bort posted:

Even for TNR that's pretty thin gruel. Buncha halfassed speculation with quotes the usual coterie of "unnamed staffers". Whoop diddly fuckin' doo.

The best part was hiding the inconvenient fact that Warren already endorsed Clinton (as well as a counterargument discounting the endorsement) in a footnote.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

ReindeerF posted:

Yeah, but he's not any more physically or personally repulsive than Rove, who is also just disturbing to watch and listen to as a human being.

Yeah, well, I think part of the difference is, one would hope that Karl Rove would be personally repulsive. It just wouldn't fit his image as a Republican pollster if he was anything but a smug, self-important, sociopathic prick.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
In his book All Too Human, Snuffleupagus quoted someone describing Yeltsin as something like a boiled potato with a dollop of sour cream on his head. I forget exactly, but, anyway, that's how I think of Rove.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Penn was a pollster who somehow gladhanded his way into becoming Clinton's chief strategist - despite the fact that the was, y'know, a loving pollster and had no experience actually running campaigns. Pollsters are supposed to be neutral deliverers of unbiased information, and really shouldn't have decision-making influence, and Penn was a wonderful example of why: every time he got into an argument with another Clinton aide, he'd miraculously be able to produce polling that showed that he was right and the other guy was wrong. Convenient!

His most famous act was not knowing how individual states awarded delegates so he'd do things like put a ton of resources into making sure Clinton finished a strong second in a state that awarded its delegates on a winner-take-all basis. Penn seemed to run his strategy based on capturing the narrative from week to week, unlike the Obama people, who ran their strategy based on getting the greatest number of delegates.

Penn also bailed on the campaign at a critical time to do a promotional tour (!) for his Microtrends* book. He arranged to be paid an enormous (possibly record-breaking) sum for his "work" (almost all of Clinton's post-campaign debt was owed to him). His consulting firm had a big sideline in running union-busting campaigns. And so on.

Everything that was graceless and stupid and hamhanded about Clinton's campaign could be traced directly to him. Remember when she suddenly started showing up at dive bars and chugging shots and beer? That was typical Penn, as was the not-so-veiled racism that her campaign traded in towards the end (although Bill had a hand in that, too).

The fact that Clinton gave this obvious quack the critical decisionmaking authority in her campaign and stuck with him even as the campaign augered into the ground is, quite frankly, the #1 concern I have about her as a candidate and a President. What the hell does that say about her judgment?

*His big claim to fame as a pollster was his ability to identify key groups in every electorate, the control of which would determine the election, which gave us endless navalgazing about "NASCAR Dads" and "Security Moms", and has since been revealed to be phlogiston-level pseudoscience, even by the low standards of polling analysis.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ReindeerF posted:

Yeah, but he's not any more physically or personally repulsive than Rove, who is also just disturbing to watch and listen to as a human being. Of course there are plenty of physically repulsive human beings who are great people, but Rove's only redeeming characteristic is that he won elections for his party. They never would have let him in the house without it.

I love that line in Boogieman: The Lee Atwater Story (I've watched the full version probably 50 times) where, I think, Alterman Fineman says, "The Bushes never regarded him as anything other than the hired help, and a somewhat untrustworthy member of the hired help. They could always jettison him, if they had to, cut him loose in a second. And Lee was perfectly willing because it gave him entree to the world of power and celebrity that he so craved." That's who these people like McAuliffe and Atwater and Rove and Penn are. Though, as horrible a human being as he was in many ways, at least Atwater was a genuinely charming human being personally. I know it's easy to say, "He was a horrible human being" but you can tell by the range of people who genuinely considered him a friend that on a personal level he was pretty charming. Some pretty thick irony there given that he's arguably the worst of the bunch from a public morality level. He was the last of the redneck seat-of-your-pants political consultants to make it that high, anyway. We won't see that again any more than, as Adar pointed out, we'll see a Bill Clinton again.

At least in Atwater's defense he experienced a touch of deathbead contrition, but I guess cancer will do that to ya.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

FMguru posted:

Penn also bailed on the campaign at a critical time to do a promotional tour (!) for his Microtrends* book.

I had heard he was fired for covertly shilling for a Colombian free trade deal that Clinton was publicly against. It might have been a mixture of both things, though.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

ChampRamp posted:

To add to everyone, I would suggest just reading Game Change (or the parts about Clinton).

It's been a while since I've read Game Change and like most everyone else I only remember the McCain stuff and some early Obama vs. Hilaryland stuff that makes the Clintons seem as villainous as possible.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The last couple of pages have mentioned most of the terrible names in political polling/strategy, but I'm not going to let Pat Caddell escape this time.

He is also not good at his alleged profession.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

FMguru posted:

The fact that Clinton gave this obvious quack the critical decisionmaking authority in her campaign and stuck with him even as the campaign augered into the ground is, quite frankly, the #1 concern I have about her as a candidate and a President. What the hell does that say about her judgment?

The Clintons are exactly like George W Bush in that they reward loyalty above all else, and it's loving unnerving how much they still command. If you've ever met someone who's worked for them in any capacity who hasn't subsequently run afoul and been cast into outer darkness, cult-like devotion's about the only way to describe it.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Joementum posted:

The last couple of pages have mentioned most of the terrible names in political polling/strategy, but I'm not going to let Pat Caddell escape this time.

Great script consultant on political TV shows, though.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

This is fantastic, especially since Trippi is attacking Clinton/defending Obama, and Axelrod just has to sit there looking good.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Joementum posted:

Oh my goodness, how have I not heard of this guy?

quote:

He has worked for Democratic presidential candidates George McGovern in 1972, Jimmy Carter in 1976 and 1980, Gary Hart in 1984, Joe Biden in 1988, and Jerry Brown in 1992. He also worked for Colorado Senate candidate Andrew Romanoff in 2010.
Caddell has served as a consultant to various movies and television shows, most notably the movies Running Mates, Air Force One, Outbreak, In the Line of Fire, and the serial drama The West Wing. He was also a marketing consultant on Coca-Cola's disastrous New Coke campaign.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 11, 2013

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
If you turn on Fox News and the person talking is a "Democratic Strategist", there's a better than average chance you're gazing upon The Caddell.

And he's probably saying that Democrats would win if they were more like Reagan.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Well, he might be technically right on that - they just wouldn't be Democrats anymore. (the party's rightward creep in recent decades notwithstanding)

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

ReindeerF posted:

In his book All Too Human, Snuffleupagus quoted someone describing Yeltsin as something like a boiled potato with a dollop of sour cream on his head.

This just reminded me of my favorite Boris Yeltsin story:

quote:

He also relayed how Boris Yeltsin's late-night drinking during a visit to Washington in 1995 nearly created an international incident. The Russian president was staying at Blair House, the government guest quarters. Late at night, Clinton told Branch, Secret Service agents found Yeltsin clad only in his underwear, standing alone on Pennsylvania Avenue and trying to hail a cab. He wanted a pizza, he told them, his words slurring.

The next night, Yeltsin eluded security forces again when he climbed down back stairs to the Blair House basement. A building guard took Yeltsin for a drunken intruder until Russian and U.S. agents arrived on the scene and rescued him.

On the topic of the thread, who do people think the most likely Democratic nominee would be if Hillary decides not to run? Would it just be Joe Biden almost by default?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Maybe not by default but he'd be in the best position.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Pfirti86 posted:

Would it just be Joe Biden almost by default?

Definitely not by default, but he would be a major candidate. If Hillary doesn't run then Cuomo and Gillibrand get to come off the bench.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

If Hillary doesn't run then Cuomo and Gillibrand get to come off the bench.

I was under the impression that'd be an either/or proposition since they'd both be fighting over Clinton's fundraising rolodex.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Joementum posted:

Definitely not by default, but he would be a major candidate. If Hillary doesn't run then Cuomo and Gillibrand get to come off the bench.

As a former New Yorker, all three make me queasy.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I don't like Biden on a number of policy points, but I've been a Biden fan since forever because he's just so Goddamn likable. The media have never let up on him, but I often wonder if, given the springboard of the Vice-Presidency, he might be a much more serious contender than people think. His goofy little league coach thing probably charms a lot more people than it turns off in today's political world. He also really does have a fantastic mind for foreign policy, something that goes unnoticed in the constant ridicule. He's not always right, but, man, you get him started on political dynamics in the Middle East or something and he'll blow your socks off.

Then again, I thought (not hoped, just thought) Rick Perry was capable of sweeping the 2012 primaries.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

comes along bort posted:

I was under the impression that'd be an either/or proposition since they'd both be fighting over Clinton's fundraising rolodex.

They do both dip into the same money pool as the Clinton Machine Bill and Hillary, and it's entirely likely some agreement on which of them makes a serious run would be brokered ahead of time in the interests of not distracting from what will (hopefully) turn out to be another GOP primary implosion, but so too they both might decide to fight it out for that sweet, sweet fundraising. Of course, this far out and with Hillary still the odds-on favorite we're essentially trying to read tea leaves before the kettle's even been filled.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Joementum posted:

If you turn on Fox News and the person talking is a "Democratic Strategist", there's a better than average chance you're gazing upon The Caddell.

And he's probably saying that Democrats would win if they were more like Reagan.
Caddell, along with Susan Estrich (Dukakis '88 campaign manager, and what a badge of honor that is), are canonical examples of Fox News Democrats (Type I*) - putative Democrats who show up on Fox News and agree that Republicans are right and Democrats are wrong about everything because their careers are over and it's either this or pushing shopping carts around a Target parking lot while wearing a red polyester vest. The handful of liberals who appear on Fox always become weak and trembly and wishy-washy because if show any sign of fight or energy their segment will be cut short and they won't be invited back.

*Type II are Blue Dogs like Joe Lieberman and Zell Miller, conservative Democrats who undercut their party at every opportunity, and Type III is the scary black guy wearing aviator shades and a dashiki who talks about "reparations" that they wheel out on slow news days).

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

FMguru posted:

Type III is the scary black guy wearing aviator shades and a dashiki who talks about "reparations" that they wheel out on slow news days).
I was trying to blow up an air mattress when I read this and you basically hosed it all up. Thanks.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

ReindeerF posted:

I don't like Biden on a number of policy points, but I've been a Biden fan since forever because he's just so Goddamn likable. The media have never let up on him, but I often wonder if, given the springboard of the Vice-Presidency, he might be a much more serious contender than people think. His goofy little league coach thing probably charms a lot more people than it turns off in today's political world. He also really does have a fantastic mind for foreign policy, something that goes unnoticed in the constant ridicule. He's not always right, but, man, you get him started on political dynamics in the Middle East or something and he'll blow your socks off.

Then again, I thought (not hoped, just thought) Rick Perry was capable of sweeping the 2012 primaries.

Here's why I'm practically all in on Biden '16's chances: folksy, likable bullshit artist shtick equals Iowa/South Carolina Winner to a T.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Also, and I know this is controversial, I think the country is finally ready for an older, white, male President. Don't quote me on that, though.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

ReindeerF posted:

He's also just kind of smarmy, fat, self-promoting consultant teat-feeder, but the kind who doesn't win.

It's like the Werner von Braun scene from The Right Stuff where LBJ asks what's holding things up and he replies, "No, Senator. Our Germanz are better zen zere Germanz." Turd Blossom was just as big a smarmy, fat, self-promoting consultant teat-feeder as Penn, but he won while Penn squandered everything in the face of open revolt by other senior Clintonistas who were calling him out openly (Ickes, I think?). You can be fat and loud and stupid, but you can't be fat and loud and stupid and lose big elections and still be taken seriously. Amusingly, he had released a book on microtrends or something around the same time as his national embarrassment.
The thing I wonder, from the outside, is whether Rove is just two coin-flips away from being in the same boat.

Well, okay, I know he's basically two coin-flips away from being a failure. I guess I wonder if he is competent and his skill got Bush from a close loss to a tie/close win or if he's just incompetent.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Joementum posted:

Not too be horribly shallow as well but it's kinda funny that the conservatives on Fox News are all good looking women like Andrea Tantaros and Jedediah Bila and the "liberals" are hideous old dudes such as Caddell and Bob Beckel

Edit: Also despite being ostensibly liberal they have awful views on about everything

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 11, 2013

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Yiggy posted:

Campaigns have certain roles, in the Clinton Machine you had your personalities, the Clintons, your glad-handing, flesh-pressing, horsetrading operatives like Terry McAuliffe, you have your policy wonks and you have your pollsters. Mark Penn was essentially the Clinton's pollster and consultant. His major idea was Microtargetting, trying to assess the sentiments of highly narrow, key groups (i.e. "Soccer moms", "Nascar dads") which Mark Penn felt to be crucial demographics and opinion mediators for the general electorate.

Microtargetting, or whatever you want to call it, is here to stay and was a major linchpin of the Obama campaigns to which much of their success is attributed. But as the Obama campaigns used it, it's not just identifying subgroups and saying "this is the Soccer Mom election" as some kind of tea leaf reading on which group they should shoot for to win, it's tailoring various appeals very specifically to these subgroups and even specifically to individuals to maximize the yield of appeals to that person to contribute, volunteer, or just register and get out there and vote.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Zwabu posted:

Microtargetting, or whatever you want to call it, is here to stay and was a major linchpin of the Obama campaigns to which much of their success is attributed. But as the Obama campaigns used it, it's not just identifying subgroups and saying "this is the Soccer Mom election" as some kind of tea leaf reading on which group they should shoot for to win, it's tailoring various appeals very specifically to these subgroups and even specifically to individuals to maximize the yield of appeals to that person to contribute, volunteer, or just register and get out there and vote.
This is true. But that wasn't what Penn was doing - he argued that there was a critical group out there that determined elections and candidates should identify that group and build their campaigns around appealing to that group, and so you get NASCAR Moms and Security Dads. One election, one critical group, and the identification of that group was basically pulled out of thin air.

Obama's crew sliced and diced the electorate and customer-targeted a thousand different approaches to a thousand different groups, and carefully watched the feedback and adjusted their targeting to match. Very different.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

FMguru posted:

This is true. But that wasn't what Penn was doing - he argued that there was a critical group out there that determined elections and candidates should identify that group and build their campaigns around appealing to that group, and so you get NASCAR Moms and Security Dads. One election, one critical group, and the identification of that group was basically pulled out of thin air.

Obama's crew sliced and diced the electorate and customer-targeted a thousand different approaches to a thousand different groups, and carefully watched the feedback and adjusted their targeting to match. Very different.

I'll defend Penn's approach for a minute: he's wrong in 2013 and maybe 2008 when you could already use Excel to slice a lot of data up into a thousand segments and ID the exact proportions of NASCAR fans to soccer moms, cross reference them and send them targeted mailers for less money than just mailing everybody to start with. Take him back to the '90's and this same approach would've been well ahead of the curve. A lot of political consulting pre Nate Silver-induced spreadsheets looks like blind men trying to feel out an elephant, but it's not entirely fair to use hindsight this way.

Additionally, this is the also same industry where Dick Morris still makes money, so it's not like he's got a high bar to clear there.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Captain_Maclaine posted:

They do both dip into the same money pool as the Clinton Machine Bill and Hillary, and it's entirely likely some agreement on which of them makes a serious run would be brokered ahead of time in the interests of not distracting from what will (hopefully) turn out to be another GOP primary implosion, but so too they both might decide to fight it out for that sweet, sweet fundraising. Of course, this far out and with Hillary still the odds-on favorite we're essentially trying to read tea leaves before the kettle's even been filled.

Yeah a quiet agreement between Biden and Clinton to run a civil primary where one person bows out and backs the winner as soon as the results start to swing one way or the other would make the GOP primary fantastically entertaining.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

theblackw0lf posted:

Start the "Warren 2016" speculation

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/115509/elizabeth-warren-hillary-clintons-nightmare

I don't see her running though, not yet at least.

I don't see Warren running, I don't think there's a hope in hell that she runs unless something big happens in the next year and a half... but I have to admit that at least part of the reason I feel that way is that I want her to stick around and continue being my Senator (yes, my Senator, all mine, you can't have her). She's one of the very rare cases where I think she would be better off being a Senator and advocating for the issues she so clearly cares about than being President and having to lose focus on those issues because Eastern Europe exploded or what have you.

This may be wishful thinking on my part.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
I would take Warren any day of the week over Clinton, might be nice to have Democrats acting before the third way again.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Warren would be yet another Senator who didn't even finish a full term and who would be bullied by Congress because she has no ties or experience there (if she even wins at all).

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

computer parts posted:

Warren would be yet another Senator who didn't even finish a full term and who would be bullied by Congress because she has no ties or experience there (if she even wins at all).

Yet another = One of two in the last 60+ years.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Yet another = One of two in the last 60+ years.

Technically, she'd be the third ex-Senator post-WWII to become President who didn't finish their first Senate term.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Today in Joe Biden calling people, here's a recording of a Joe Biden conversation with one of the original Rosie the Riveters, who he's inviting to the White House.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Joementum posted:

Today in Joe Biden calling people, here's a recording of a Joe Biden conversation with one of the original Rosie the Riveters, who he's inviting to the White House.

Did he congratulate her on being elected mayor of Boston?

• Locked thread