Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Pierson posted:

I've never read YYH but I adore HxH. Has anyone else recently, and does it hold up?

I liked the anime > manga. Also, I finally get to find out who won the Dark Tourney after a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
YYH starts of as Standard Shonen Manga, but by the time the gang starts getting together (the three treasures arc) it starts turning into proto-HxH, and by the next arc the transformation is complete. Read YYH.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Watch the anime

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
If you're powerful, you can watch the anime and read the manga.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
watch the anime, and make absolutely sure to watch it dubbed

the subbed voice acting is okaaaay but the dub is unironically one of the very best dubs Funimation has ever made

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
even if absolutely nothing else, dub Kuwabara is a loving treasure

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah honestly i don't think i'd have my enduring fondness for kuwabara if not for his dub voice

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Out of curiosity, did you ever see the dub of the movie?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

Out of curiosity, did you ever see the dub of the movie?

That threw me off so much as a kid.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I once read some chapters of a manga where the main character was a highschool girl who kept getting stuck being partners with this weird boy, who the series never actually said was autistic, but totally was. He was also the star pitcher for the school's baseball team. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I've been trying to think up the name of it for a week, but have drawn a blank.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yugami-kun ni wa Tomodachi ga Inai

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
We Never learn spoilers

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

lol boobies

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Wait they aren't talking about boobs. That would be immature.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New chapter's out - http://mangakakalot.com/chapter/bokutachi_wa_benkyou_ga_dekinai/chapter_44

Ogata Rizu is a very bold girl.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I generally like We Never Learn, but upon seeing those screenshots my immediate reaction was "ah, it is a joke where they confuse grades with bra sizes." I imagine the fact that E isn't a grade in the US kinda makes the joke not work as well for Americans (and maybe other English-speaking countries? Not sure if not having an E is unique to the US).

My general feeling about We Never Learn is that, if you have to have a shounen harem series, that's about the best way to pull it off. Like most romantic comedies, it works best when the comedy half is strong.

vvv Huh, that's interesting; I've never known anyone who didn't use A B C D F (I think E generally isn't used because of its connotation with "Excellent" or something).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 28, 2017

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

A B C D E was the scale at my us school at least

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
My schools used U and E for the lowest grade. F was reserved for too few days to properly grade or something.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

McTimmy posted:

My schools used U and E for the lowest grade. F was reserved for too few days to properly grade or something.

what the gently caress

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Galvanik posted:

A B C D E was the scale at my us school at least

WAS MY SUGGESTION THE RIGHT MANGA OR NOT DON'T LEAVE ME HANGING BRO!!!!

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
My school was A B C F because we don't even learn the loving alphabet in Texas.

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan
They also talk about G bra sizes which is... less of a thing in America I believe? So the joke is kind of strained for grades and bras. Maybe if they changed that and also gave the characters English names. Ah, so much simpler.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Hate-Senpai posted:

WAS MY SUGGESTION THE RIGHT MANGA OR NOT DON'T LEAVE ME HANGING BRO!!!!
Yeah that's the one I was looking for. Sorry.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

chefscientist posted:

They also talk about G bra sizes which is... less of a thing in America I believe? So the joke is kind of strained for grades and bras. Maybe if they changed that and also gave the characters English names. Ah, so much simpler.

G grades aren't a thing in Japan either, hence his confusion as to how such a grade could exist if it's essentially -20%

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
It's an extremely easy joke to figure out if you aren't braindead, y'all

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

DoubleDonut posted:

It's an extremely easy joke to figure out if you aren't braindead, y'all

This. We don't even use the alphabet for grading here, instead opting for the far superior 1-10 scale and even I got the jokes.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

chefscientist posted:

I'm guessing Japanese bra sizes are inflated compared with Western ones or something?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Ytlaya posted:

I'm guessing Japanese bra sizes are inflated compared with Western ones or something?

Correct.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the translation for kanata no astra has finished, and it's still good. shorter manga which reach their planned ending without getting cancelled are nice.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It's also all (?) avaiable on Viz's WSJ app as of today.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
New chapter of We never Learn
https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/we-can-t-study/en/0/45/page/1

This manga can be so frustrating. Every now and then there's a really good character building chapter that shows this mangaka is capable of telling good stories with interesting characters. But then there's garbage like these recent 2 chapters.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

this stuff is par for the course for the genre

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Calling a chapter featuring Sensei and a harmless but amusing comedy chapter garbage...

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

It's just frustrating because this manga is capable of so much more. Even when it comes to silly comedy chapters. The Fumino cooking chapter a few weeks ago being a prime example.

The boob/grades chapter was dumb because the characters actually pointed out how weird it was to confuse the 2. Only to continue doing it the rest of the chapter.

And this was more of the same: Sensei is a slob who doesnt have her poo poo together stuff. We've seen these exact jokes before. At least last time we got some new stuff like how she is also a terrible driver.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm seriously flabbergasted that you people were expecting something different.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Wait finding out Sensei had a sister who is a figure skating prodigy, and finding out Sensei herself was one before she stopped and no longer wants to talk about it. Isn't as much character building as finding out Fumino can't cook?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I don't know. I liked it and how Yuiga at least tried to skip sensei.
But honestly I do like the Sensei parts the least

Didn't really like the whole "as expected of a boy" comment. Doesn't seem like it fits into senseis character

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 31, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Also the end of the next chapter where Asumi mocks Kirisu for this will be amazing.

But I'm still baffled how a chapter that introduces a new character and another characters backstory doesn't have enough development and new stuff.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Just adding a sister doesn't mean development. This chapter taught us nothing new about Kirisu. She's a terrible adult who keeps up a front.
We already knew about her figure skating before this.

Fumino being a bad chef wasn't an example of good development. But of a chapter that just had a silly premise and was actually funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ariadne hadn't really grabbed me before, but now i can safely say that the princess owns