Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
A video of a near-miss at the Reno air races last weekend (the pilot posted a great explanation in the description of the video).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyfK1tea3zo

This was an interesting year for incidents at Reno, since a de Havilland Vampire landed in the desert on Friday after an engine failure (totaling the airplane), one of the Sport class airplanes had an engine fire on Saturday (again, totaling the airplane), a biplane ground-looped on Saturday , this happened in the Formula 1 final on Sunday, and was immediately followed by two biplanes running into each other on the runway after landing from the very next race. As far as I'm aware, the only injury was the pilot in the video suffering a broken hand, which is pretty amazing.

I was there Friday-Sunday, and can post some pictures here if there's any interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
So, uh, how horrible an idea would it be to get my CPL provided I don't intend to actually get a full-time job as a pilot (yet)? I got my medical renewed today and the doctor said he ended up getting his commercial license after being inactive for 15 years, because if he had to do training to get current anyway, why not really work to improve your skills and become a better pilot?

I'm... at least considering it at the moment. I'm already at 112 hours total time, so I'd be quite close to 200 after completing the CPL-specific training anyway, and at worst I figure I'd have more training and be a better pilot, even if I never exercise the privileges of the commercial license. So: large waste of money, or obscene waste of money?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Just do it.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Having a commercial license can save you quite a bit of money on insurance if you own an aircraft, especially if you are a relatively low-time pilot.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MrChips posted:

Having a commercial license can save you quite a bit of money on insurance if you own an aircraft, especially if you are a relatively low-time pilot.

Oh great, more motivation to make another horrid financial decision :v:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

MrChips posted:

The training is an all around good experience too, refines what you learned for your private and it all makes a bit more sense since you're not just trying to learn how to fly.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

PT6A posted:

Oh great, more motivation to make another horrid financial decision :v:

If you're looking for a smarter financial investment than aviation, I would suggest any of the following:

Boats
Trains
VHS tapes
Commemorative silver coins
Pinecones
Milk
Rain
Old lightbulbs
C batteries
SomethingAwful account upgrades

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rolo posted:

If you're looking for a smarter financial investment than aviation, I would suggest any of the following:

Boats
Trains
VHS tapes
Pinecones
Milk
Rain
Old lightbulbs
C batteries

Burning bundles of money for warmth in Texas in July.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Rolo posted:

Boats
Trains
VHS tapes
Pinecones
Milk
Rain
Old lightbulbs
C batteries

True enough, now I'm just trying to balance the money spending vs. enjoyment ratio. At this point, I don't think plane ownership is in the cards (but who knows about the future? I've been checking controller.com every now and then...)

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

SeaPort ceased operations and liquidated assets.

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/index.ssf/2016/09/seaport_airlines_to_be_liquida.html

e.pilot posted:

Welp I failed my MEI check ride because I couldn't remember if the ELT inspection was 12 or 24 months and what the date for battery replacement criteria was, knew it was an hour of cumulative use and the date was based off the age of the batteries but couldn't remember the specifics. And after giving him 90% of the answer, he wouldn't let me look it up in the FAR because "I should know it off of the top of my head because I'm a CFI" this after going through all of the oral portion without looking a single thing up. Because god forbid you have a brain fart and can't remember something verbatim that's not related to the immediate safety of flight.

Of course it isn't until afterwords I find out from all of my coworkers, CFI friends, and another DPE I know that this guy has a reputation for digging in to obscurities and minutiae, until he finds something asinine he can fail you on. Needless to say I won't be taking him up on his "reduced" retest rate and will be going with a different DPE. I've been through my fair share of check rides and examiners in my career and this guy was a piece of work. On the plus side I didn't need my MEI before starting training for my new job on Monday, and was just doing it to do it (because I am a sick individual and like instructing)

I've posted before about my Instrument checkride with the DPE who was notorious for having his own interpretation of three of four FARs pertinent to Instrument flight (though one was fairly clever, I have to admit) and getting them wrong (by giving the published reg) was punishable by something ranging from an rear end-chewing to a failed Oral. He also screamed at me for calling "Airspeed alive", which is something I'd done on every flight with a CFI since day one and wouldn't let me cruise the airplane out to get set up for the hold and first approach, which caused me to almost bust on altitude PTS. My original Instrument instructor was going to try and have me do it with another guy, but she left before I finished and the one I finished with was like "Naw, you'll be fine, he likes you!".

That was five years ago today and I still hate that checkride even though I passed.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Haha their official customer guidance on unused tickets is "issue a chargeback"

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

shame on an IGA posted:

Haha their official customer guidance on unused tickets is "issue a chargeback"

Not much other advice you can give when going into bankruptcy. Customers who are owed flights are now creditors, and they don't have better priority before the bankruptcy court than any other creditor and worse than some. Better the customer get made whole by their credit card company who will then be the creditor trying to squeeze blood from the dead airline stone.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm curious what happens with the merchant services agreements during bankruptcy? Would the credit provider even be able to chargeback? Would the chargeback become a debt as part of the bankruptcy and subject to discharge?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Jealous Cow posted:

I'm curious what happens with the merchant services agreements during bankruptcy? Would the credit provider even be able to chargeback? Would the chargeback become a debt as part of the bankruptcy and subject to discharge?

The merchant bank would probably be a creditor if they didn't see it coming with the previous chapter 11 bankruptcy and crank up the reserve requirements to have more of the failing buisness' cash on hand to fund chargebacks with (which would kill cash flow and hasten the bankruptcy of course).

The aircraft are probably leased and will go back to the lessors. Curious how much more in assets they're likely to have to pay creditors (and that haven't already been used as collateral), especially since they'd already been operating in Chapter 11 before being forced into liquidation, since debt acquired after bankruptcy have precedence.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Passed my 135 check ride today, just waiting on my background check to finish up and I'll be on the line :toot:

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

e.pilot posted:

Passed my 135 check ride today, just waiting on my background check to finish up and I'll be on the line :toot:

Is this at Boutique?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rickety Cricket posted:

Is this at Boutique?

Yes it is.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Congrats!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Thanks, can't believe how easy the PC12 is to fly.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Got back in the saddle this weekend. 2.4 hours Friday and 1.4 today. It's amazing that even after a few weeks off the rust starts building. Shook it all off by the end of Friday though. Feels like life is getting back to normal.

I'm going to be bummed out when I do finally get my PPL, I won't have nearly as much of an excuse to go flying this frequently.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I got my first solo in years Thursday and my first in a cessna.i feel comfortable and excited.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Rolo posted:

Boats
Trains
VHS tapes
Pinecones
Milk
Rain
Old lightbulbs
C batteries

Hookers

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Just had my second PPL check ride postponement due to a combination of weather and a DPE who is always booked weeks out. Did the ground portion on labor day which went great and have been sitting in limbo ever since. Sigh. Attempt 3 is in a couple of weeks, trying to balance staying current vs. burning money on review flights. I'll probably get this done just in time for the first good blizzard of the year.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

sanchez posted:

Just had my second PPL check ride postponement due to a combination of weather and a DPE who is always booked weeks out. Did the ground portion on labor day which went great and have been sitting in limbo ever since. Sigh. Attempt 3 is in a couple of weeks, trying to balance staying current vs. burning money on review flights. I'll probably get this done just in time for the first good blizzard of the year.

Denver FSDO has the same problem with DPEs. They're impossible to book less than a month out, it's super frustrating.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

I passed my 141 IR checkride yesterday.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

e.pilot posted:

Thanks, can't believe how easy the PC12 is to fly.

Awesome. I'm super jealous.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Rickety Cricket posted:

Awesome. I'm super jealous.

Me too. The PC-12 has always been my "if I hit the (really big) lottery" dream plane.... Capable enough, fast enough, possible to fly with a single pilot, and only one engine to worry about maintaining.

After I got a lovely disease of some sort last week which made me cancel my lesson, I once again have my first lesson scheduled soon... hopefully this time nothing will delay the fucker, I feel like I've been waiting months for this, what with getting my hernia repaired and all that garbage. I think I've talked myself into going for the CPL, but I'm still going to discuss it with the instructor before I make any commitments. RIP my money.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
A buddy of mine flies a pc-12 for a firefighting company in Spokane. He seems to really like the airplane but is upgrading to the rj8 next "season."

I seem to remember that Cessna was working on a competitor to the Pilatus, called the Yukon or Denali or something. Anyone here know anything about it?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KodiakRS posted:

A buddy of mine flies a pc-12 for a firefighting company in Spokane. He seems to really like the airplane but is upgrading to the rj8 next "season."

I seem to remember that Cessna was working on a competitor to the Pilatus, called the Yukon or Denali or something. Anyone here know anything about it?

Cessna Denali. G3000 cockpit, GE93 full-FADEC engine, basically a PC-12 but slightly bigger in every dimension. Maybe not quite as good at short field ops, but carries more, farther, faster, for less.

Or at least that's the idea. It's still a paper airplane, at this point.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

MrYenko posted:

Cessna Denali. G3000 cockpit, GE93 full-FADEC engine, basically a PC-12 but slightly bigger in every dimension. Maybe not quite as good at short field ops, but carries more, farther, faster, for less.

That could be a pretty great airplane. How much less good at short field (and presumably hot/high/unprepared) ops is it forecast to be? That seems, to me, to be one of the not-insignificant advantages the PC-12 holds over competing planes. Mind you, I also look at this from a Canadian point of view -- I'm guessing it's not nearly as much of an issue in most of the US.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.

PT6A posted:

That could be a pretty great airplane. How much less good at short field (and presumably hot/high/unprepared) ops is it forecast to be? That seems, to me, to be one of the not-insignificant advantages the PC-12 holds over competing planes. Mind you, I also look at this from a Canadian point of view -- I'm guessing it's not nearly as much of an issue in most of the US.

Eh, it's still important. Rich people like to go to isolated/lousy airports in the US too.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PT6A posted:

Only marginally. Depending on what GE does with the GE93, it might actually be BETTER at hot and high. It's looking to be a mighty impressive engine.

The Denali looks like it's going to be just a touch heavier per horsepower, but really not by very much. It's almost a PC-12 clone.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

MrYenko posted:

Only marginally. Depending on what GE does with the GE93, it might actually be BETTER at hot and high. It's looking to be a mighty impressive engine.

The Denali looks like it's going to be just a touch heavier per horsepower, but really not by very much. It's almost a PC-12 clone.

Wikipedia claims the (planned, I assume?) takeoff distance will be 2950 ft. instead of 2600 ft. I'd call that a pretty significant difference. The RCMP, for example, operates some PC12s and there are certainly a number of strips they need access to that could take a PC-12 but not a Denali if those performance numbers turn out to be correct.

It will be interesting to see how it develops, though.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
A lot of PC-12s operating on my area of West Texas. Strips are usually never better than 3500 feet.

I know a lot of oil Barron's that have a pic-12 to land on dirt oil field strips. They love the gently caress out of that thing.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PT6A posted:

Wikipedia claims the (planned, I assume?) takeoff distance will be 2950 ft. instead of 2600 ft. I'd call that a pretty significant difference. The RCMP, for example, operates some PC12s and there are certainly a number of strips they need access to that could take a PC-12 but not a Denali if those performance numbers turn out to be correct.

It will be interesting to see how it develops, though.

Absolutely, but RCMP and say, Flying Doctors are exactly the kind of operations the PC-12 excels at. I think Cessna is betting there are (possibly a lot of) people who'd like the PC-12 to have a little more load, a little more range, and are operating out of 3500-4000ft paved runways, instead of really short strips like the bush operators.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

Rolo posted:

Boats
Trains
VHS tapes
Pinecones
Milk
Rain
Old lightbulbs
C batteries

Have you tried owning/learning to sail a boat in Europe at all... close to the same as a CPL, although when you go fro Yachtmaster I'd then go with boats as dearer.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

hjp766 posted:

Have you tried owning/learning to sail a boat in Europe at all... close to the same as a CPL, although when you go fro Yachtmaster I'd then go with boats as dearer.

At least you can theoretically use a boat as a house, even if it's still a bad financial plan.

MrYenko posted:

Absolutely, but RCMP and say, Flying Doctors are exactly the kind of operations the PC-12 excels at. I think Cessna is betting there are (possibly a lot of) people who'd like the PC-12 to have a little more load, a little more range, and are operating out of 3500-4000ft paved runways, instead of really short strips like the bush operators.

It also depends what runway performance is like when the Denali is carrying the same payload as the PC-12s max useable payload, with enough fuel to match the PC-12's range, of course. If that brings it down close to where the PC-12 is, then it's hard to say the Denali is any less capable.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Just got back from Portugal. Here, have some advice on passports.

If you are travelling internationally, look NOW to see if you have an electronic passport. Google epassport and you'll see the 'chip' icon on the front of your passport if you have one.

I spent 2 hours in a 'All Passports' line (everything but EU because I was in an EU country). This is the line where there are like 500 people from zimbabblestan and urkistan (and some pushy loving French stop touching me you smell like complete poo poo) and you all wait to get stamped by the passport guy. Unfortunately, I had to get out of line to use the bathroom and to my bewilderment I saw an incredibly fast moving line for 'Electronic Passports.'

I scanned and went through within seconds. It DOES require you to take a photo while you get scanned (gently caress the feds). But, I bet I'm on every security camera anyway when going through the passport section.

Anyway, I mention this because I saw at LEAST another 100 Americans that didn't know they could go through the Electronic Passport line, and many of them didn't even see the line in the first place. I know half of them missed their international flights because of the lines.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
This popped up on the AOPA forums and it sorta blew my mind so I'll share it. I expect this guy isn't a goon. It's very long. Here's the NTSB factual to go with it (it's much shorter):

NTSB Factual

quote:

AOPA Poster Said:

Background: My plane was in for maintenance, so I borrowed one that rarely got flown. It had a dead battery, requiring hand-propping, but that was no problem for me as I've years experience at such. I was to work two 12 hour shifts only separated by 4 hours and 200 miles, so flight was required. I enlisted my brother who loves helping as a designated poker in case I was fatigued in flight. He is a very functional guy with learning disabilities who has worked a convenience store counter by himself, but overall functions at about a 6th grade level.

Story: At 8 pm we finished the final job and went to the airport for the trip home. The FBO had fueled the plane and placed it in my usual spot which had no tie down brackets. I put my brother in the right seat after the preflight (seatbelted and headphoned) as we had done 3 times before. I set the throttle and ignition, placed the brake handle in Mike's hand, reviewed the emergency procedures (key off, pull knobs) with him, double checked the chocked tires, and got in position to sling the prop.

With a single throw, the engine ROARED to life... at somewhere north of 2000 rpm!!! I immediately realized the gravity of the situation, and moved out from in front of the plane to the pilot side door of the high winged plane, which had been blown shut by the 90 some-odd knot propwash. Opening the door as the plane jumped the chocks seemed like it should have been a simple task, but the small, recessed clip-like handle just kept slipping from my grasp, as the door would be blown immediately closed at my every effort as I simultaneously began to jog along side the rolling craft. I yelled instruction to Mike, from "pull the brake" to "turn the key off", but the open-jawed look on his face, and his inaction, quickly told me he wasn't processing the information. As I futilely continued to gain entrance I was at a full run and the plane was gaining speed so I jumped onto the wheel pant and held on to the wing strut with my left hand. My right hand was now solo and having less success with the door than before.

Unbeknownst to me the plane had crossed the entire ramp now, which had a 4x4 barrier for some construction purposes. The nose wheel impacted this with little perturbation; not so for the main gear upon which I stood. I was knocked down from my perch, still holding onto the strut with my left hand, while the bent main gear lost its wheel pant and ran over my right leg, fracturing such. Now being dragged across the grassy knoll between ramp and runway I had a now or never impulse, reached up with my right arm and pulled my chest up to the strut, and unleashed a last great effort on that beast of a door. I got it open about 6 inches and shoved my broke leg in, intending to put both hands on the door and gain access to the throttle knob. Then, suddenly, I noticed the roughness of the ground my other leg had been bouncing on was gone. Everything was as smooth as glass, as I came to the catastrophic conclusion that I was too late. The time for saving the day was 10 seconds earlier. We were airborne.

From that moment time suddenly started moving in slow-motion. In my mind, I re-played every scenario I'd ever seen for an un-piloted airplane... up out of ground effect, then nose dive... tilt left and cartwheel... tilt right and cartwheel... I knew I couldn't get my whole body in the plane to manipulate the controls, and pulling the throttle now wouldn't change any outcome. Any of those scenarios didn't bode well for the guy in the plane, much less for the poor soul hanging on a wing strut behind the prop.

I looked down and judged we were 6 feet or so off the ground, moving at near 65 mph (the usual speed at which it flies off the pavement in a normal take-off). Well, when I raced motorcycles, I survived those crash parameters more than once, and I thought how bad it would hurt my Mom to lose both sons in the same accident, so I made the decision to jump. I looked over the door at my brother, said "I'm sorry, and I love you!", and I bailed, wrapping my head in my arms, torquing my body for the sideways tuck-n-roll, praying to God that he keep me from the debilitating-if-not-near-fatal head injury. At impact, I immediately realized my continued consciousness, and with a very rapid spinning, between my elbows I could see the plane and my brothers progress.

The plane climbed out of ground effect, nosed over, and descended.... right into the ground, nose wheel and prop first, about 3 feet in front of a dump truck load of fresh topsoil to be used in the aforementioned construction project. The plane plowed into the dirt, breaking off the prop, bending the cowling down, and flipping straight over the dirt pile, landing upside down.

I stopped rolling by now, and had spun so fast, my boots had been thrown from my feet. I tried to get up and run, but fell upon my incompetent right leg. I hopped the 75 yards to the crash site, yelling "Mike! Mike!" And at about 30 yards away heard him yell back, "Bill, I think I'm hurt!"! I crawled into the upside down cockpit, holding pressure on his head wound, and cradling his head in my flexed hip. He had no neck or spine pain, so I cut his belt and tried to guide his body out maintaining spinal precautions. His 250 pounds and my broken leg precluded my successful extraction attempt. I thought, "God, I could use a bit more help", and immediately noticed the sirens in the distance.

I could have, should have done any number of things differently. But we always do what we think is enough... based on logic, experience, and rules. And that's fine, until it's just not enough. Could've bought a new battery, charged the old one, moved the plane to an area it could've been tied down and tied the tail, put a string on the throttle running out the door, etc. Hindsight is indeed 20/20.

It's been 14 months. We both healed completely. It took this long to work up the courage to post this, but hopefully it will help someone else in their decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
:wtc:

• Locked thread