Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Proud Rat Mom posted:

I never fought gwyn too much as I barely play ng+ and just roll new characters when I get to the kiln

I've probably beaten O&S with like 6 or 7 different characters but I've only ever beaten Gwyn once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

In Training posted:

I've probably beaten O&S with like 6 or 7 different characters but I've only ever beaten Gwyn once

I've beaten him more than that but yeah, a lot of my runs stopped right after O&S. The post lord vessel areas and bosses are just not as good unfortunately

Soral
May 30, 2009

Austrian mook posted:

Hey, I just bought this game and I've been stuck at the second lantern in Central Yarnham for a few days now. Not really sure how to beat these two warewolves on the bridge. Seems pretty rough for the beginning of the game, I beat Dark Souls last month and this feels drastically harder then anything in Undead Burg or Undead Parish in that game. Maybe I'm just not used to the new mechanics. Is there no shop yet? I'm not huge on the weapon I picked and I wanna try something else? Can I level up yet?

use a madman's knowledge or enter the boss arena on the bridge then warp away with a bold hunter mark (or kill them if you can) to activate the levelling up npc. if you're having serious trouble with those werewolves, then clear out the house that connects to the bridge then aggro them over and kill them when they get stuck in the doorway. there is no shame in cheap tactics. those two were wolves hanging out on that bridge aren't really indicative of the game's difficulty as a whole, those two are just a particularly big spike in difficulty early on

Dec 26, 2012

Proud Rat Mom posted:

you can find insight around the aqueducts area and use that to bring the doll alive iirc

yep, the trigger is 1 insIght

Dec 26, 2012

alternatively, use molotovs

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Still need to beat defiled watchdog for the plat, mgs5 has consumed me for weeks. Old hunters is gonna be brutal

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Austrian mook posted:

Hey, I just bought this game and I've been stuck at the second lantern in Central Yarnham for a few days now. Not really sure how to beat these two warewolves on the bridge. Seems pretty rough for the beginning of the game, I beat Dark Souls last month and this feels drastically harder then anything in Undead Burg or Undead Parish in that game. Maybe I'm just not used to the new mechanics. Is there no shop yet? I'm not huge on the weapon I picked and I wanna try something else? Can I level up yet?

you can go around them :-)

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Proud Rat Mom posted:

you can find insight around the aqueducts area and use that to bring the doll alive iirc

this ... u just need 1 insight to unlock the doll + shop. normally youd get it from the first boss but you can find 2 or 3 lying around yarnham.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I like the stats on trophies on PS4, it's neat. 6% of Bloodborne players have the plat, which is super high compared to most games. That must be cool for devs to see that and know lots of people are playing a ton of their game

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

In Training posted:

same. i always just make a new character after that

Flying Squirrel
Oct 24, 2007
Thanks, Zombie Lincoln

In Training posted:

I like the stats on trophies on PS4, it's neat. 6% of Bloodborne players have the plat, which is super high compared to most games. That must be cool for devs to see that and know lots of people are playing a ton of their game

Yeah, last time I looked there was a sharp drop off for the first couple of bosses, but then it stayed pretty strong overall. I remember being surprised at the relatively high% that beat some of the side stuff, but then I realized that's because with this game, if you are in it, you are loving in it

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i like the stuff after o+s. i dont think they cut corners at all

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Proud Rat Mom posted:

oh cool, I'll have to remember that for when I start over. I only played bloodborne 4 hours before my ps4 died on me.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

In Training posted:

My favorite for this is definitely bloodborne. I'm not surprised by the plat stat for it considering most people who buy souls games kinda know what they're getting into but then you have something like mgs5 where apparently 40% of the player base on ps4 has never held up an enemy :psyduck:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I.N.R.I posted:

:staredog:

Dec 26, 2012

I.N.R.I posted:

izalith kinda sucks, the other areas are fine though

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

I.N.R.I posted:

ya me too. the only part i don't like is tomb of the giants. the beginning stuff is my favorite though and making new characters and trying out new builds is my favorite part about souls games

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

I like it too and I usually do 2 or 3 lord souls and (dukes archives and tomb f Giants ftw) but then end up playing a different game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Benny D posted:

My favorite for this is definitely bloodborne. I'm not surprised by the plat stat for it considering most people who buy souls games kinda know what they're getting into but then you have something like mgs5 where apparently 40% of the player base on ps4 has never held up an enemy :psyduck:

1.7% of people who own Guilty Gear Xrd for PS4 have never launched the game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

From there an additional 75% didn't finish the tutorial

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Benny D posted:

I'm not sure what the point of holding up enemies is - it feels like a callback to older games moreso than a useful thing. I did it once or twice by accident but if you're not going for no traces, if you're close enough to hold them up you can just cqc them.

In Training posted:

From there an additional 75% didn't finish the tutorial
The Xrd tutorial is kinda hard and if I were a new fg player, I probably could not have finished it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

doing a specific air combo in Xrd is as hard as O+S

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol what the hell. 14% of people playing MGSV have never used the Fulton.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

In Training posted:

same lol, i just beat them again yesterday

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

ive only ever beat gwyn and nito once each

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i really love dark souls 1 until i beat O+S and realize i have to do bone cave and lavabutt land then i make a new character. O+S is the end of the game to me

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
you know, you dont actually have to fight or even escape from a single headless dragon .. you have to basically stand on their feet for them to notice you

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I.N.R.I posted:

you know, you dont actually have to fight or even escape from a single headless dragon .. you have to basically stand on their feet for them to notice you

bed of chaos is not fun nor is all the lava poo poo, even after they nerfed the dragonbutts its still this big dumb trek to probably one of the worst videogame bosses ever

bone lord is my favorite fight in the game aesthetically and the music for it is incredible but the actual fight is piss

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
even when fromsoft kinda flubs something like with the bed of chaos fight, I still love that they tried something unique and original.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've always wondered why bed of chaos doesn't reset or whatever. dragon lord in demons was also a puzzle boss but you still had to do the whole thing in one go

Dec 26, 2012

In Training posted:

I've always wondered why bed of chaos doesn't reset or whatever. dragon lord in demons was also a puzzle boss but you still had to do the whole thing in one go

bed of chaos would have been so much more obnoxious if it didn't reset

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

that section of the game is unfinished so they were probably doing last minute playtesting and nerfed bed of chaos with no resets

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
u can run to the middle and toss 1 firebomb at each core thing and finish the fight in 20 seconds .. id make a video showing it but no record function on ps3 qq. some1 else probably figured it out and made a video anyway.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
yea this guy did it. he made it look harder than it is somehow though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvDlcGoxeFI

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

what weapon did you all use your first dark souls run. I use quelaag's fury sword even if the damage wasn't that great by the end because I thought it looked insanely sick

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

In Training posted:

what weapon did you all use your first dark souls run. I use quelaag's fury sword even if the damage wasn't that great by the end because I thought it looked insanely sick

lightning uchigatana - scaling weapons were real bad when dark souls first came out

claymore was my backup which is also nerfed now

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
zweihander ... 1h ... -___-

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
pretty sure it was the warriors starting longsword for most of the game, then switched to quelaags after anor londo

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

apropos to nothing posted:

you can also go around the wolves and never agro them if you take the shortcut through the area with the dog cages and then into the 2 story building

Where is this area with the dog cages? The only path I've found is the drop down into the massive sewer area

zen death robot posted:

As far as weapons go, the sawblade is probably the most well-rounded starting weapon and easiest to get used to.

I picked the cleaver, did I make the wrong choice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

zen death robot posted:

As far as weapons go, the sawblade is probably the most well-rounded starting weapon and easiest to get used to.

the axe is what i got most comfortable with but i got bored of it because its just running around two handing the whole time and not getting to use your gun