Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Both sound good but too little too late I fear.

Depending on how it goes, I'd try the campaign as long as it isn't world of warships style.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Dandywalken posted:

Both sound good but too little too late I fear.

Depending on how it goes, I'd try the campaign as long as it isn't world of warships style.
Warships has a campaign now?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Asehujiko posted:

Warships has a campaign now?

Chained missions really, where you have 5 or 10 steps, and at each step you complete basic things for pins and rewards like sink 3 ships, get 20 torp hits, etc. The pins advance you to the next stage, and stages have larger rewards.

There's two basic ones, one long one which is a semi-tutorial and has 7 days premium as the final reward, and one for tier 8+ with a Japanese DD premium as the final reward; there were also 2 over Xmas, one which gave the Graf Spee, and one which gave a bunch of permanent premium camos to tier 6 tree ships (and the ships if you didn't have them already).

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

NTRabbit posted:

Chained missions really, where you have 5 or 10 steps, and at each step you complete basic things for pins and rewards like sink 3 ships, get 20 torp hits, etc. The pins advance you to the next stage, and stages have larger rewards.

There's two basic ones, one long one which is a semi-tutorial and has 7 days premium as the final reward, and one for tier 8+ with a Japanese DD premium as the final reward; there were also 2 over Xmas, one which gave the Graf Spee, and one which gave a bunch of permanent premium camos to tier 6 tree ships (and the ships if you didn't have them already).

So not so much a campaign as grind like monkey targets.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Ratzap posted:

So not so much a campaign as grind like monkey targets.

It's much less grindy than the Tanks idea of a campaign, as you get multiple options to reach each stage goal, but yes.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

If it is actually a campaign with a story and bad voice acting I'd update to play that.

Judicator65
Feb 4, 2012

JuffoWup posted:

https://aw.my.com/us/news/general/introducing-storyline-campaign

New pve mode basically. Apparently sets the stage on what is going on lore-wise. No information on the ultimate reward for completing the campaign though.

No guarantee it's PvE only. They mention all modes, so there is a good chance for PvP and Global Ops components.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Judicator65 posted:

No guarantee it's PvE only. They mention all modes, so there is a good chance for PvP and Global Ops components.

Well, I'm assuming set pieces where you move from point to point and learn things on the way. Unlike the WoWS and WoT models where you just do x amount of some task in a certain tier/tank (or ship) combo to advance to the next set of tasks. The only way to attain such a controlled enviroment will have to be via pve.

Speaking of lore, have your first bit:
https://aw.my.com/us/news/general/lore-world-armored-warfare

TLDR: World went to poo poo, no one had the balls to call out the corporations. Corps got given land/rights by countries to help them stay solvent (short term only, they crumbled eventually). Now corps run the world and the corporations all have their own military branch. This all comes up by 2030. So we are playing a game with "modern" tanks in a world 15 years later where apparently no r&d was spent by any corporation on newer toys to help protect and gain new assets.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Not that it'll ever happen now, but the whole idea behind AW would've made for the potential to have Strike Commander Online, and I would be *down* with that. Start in Sabres and MiG-15s and move up to maybe the fourth generation of planes, max.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

JuffoWup posted:

Well, I'm assuming set pieces where you move from point to point and learn things on the way. Unlike the WoWS and WoT models where you just do x amount of some task in a certain tier/tank (or ship) combo to advance to the next set of tasks. The only way to attain such a controlled enviroment will have to be via pve.

Speaking of lore, have your first bit:
https://aw.my.com/us/news/general/lore-world-armored-warfare

TLDR: World went to poo poo, no one had the balls to call out the corporations. Corps got given land/rights by countries to help them stay solvent (short term only, they crumbled eventually). Now corps run the world and the corporations all have their own military branch. This all comes up by 2030. So we are playing a game with "modern" tanks in a world 15 years later where apparently no r&d was spent by any corporation on newer toys to help protect and gain new assets.

Man if this is going to end up with tier XI - XX tanks, and one of the tier XX tanks is literally a Warhammer 40K tie in and another is some poo poo from Robotech, I'm down.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Are you ready?

https://aw.my.com/us/news/general/tanks-reloaded-launching-april-20th

Balance 2.0 is coming on april 20th.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Hey, the alt rights feared future happened. Glad Russia is ok at least.

May be fun though, the campaign. PvE with friends is always a good time.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 6, 2017

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Don't open your silver, gold and platinum crates until after patch hits, they are reworking crate system so awards will be much better.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I don't know if the servers are up yet as they had originally listed them to be offline all day. But the announcement notes are up for the big patch. Likewise, I can tell you to be ready as it is a 10.29gb sized patch.

https://aw.my.com/us/news/general/introducing-update-019-tanks-reloaded

Edit: Server just came up. There is a contest that gives gold and platinum crates by just playing the game a couple times a day.
https://aw.my.com/us/news/general/celebrating-tanks-reloaded

Also, there is now a tier 10 arty. It is a comedy thing. Centauro 155. Take the 8 wheeled centauro hull and put some comedy turret on it, call it arty.

Edit2: Uhhh, tier 9 arty can pen light tanks for 1k damage. I placed 3rd on my team at 11k damage dealt. There was a centauro 155 on my team as well. He did 3k. He also complained about arcs being nerfed. I found this odd since he is complaining about a tank that didn't exist in the game until today. SPGs are pretty fun for pve matches since they removed all the barriers given them (they can actually move now) and don't have to worry about counter battery or spend time counter batterying.

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 20, 2017

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Downloading the client, since you can do the event missions in PvE. Gotta love an hour long download at 8MB a second. Have these fucks never heard of compression?

JuffoWup posted:

Edit2: Uhhh, tier 9 arty can pen light tanks for 1k damage. I placed 3rd on my team at 11k damage dealt. There was a centauro 155 on my team as well. He did 3k. He also complained about arcs being nerfed. I found this odd since he is complaining about a tank that didn't exist in the game until today. SPGs are pretty fun for pve matches since they removed all the barriers given them (they can actually move now) and don't have to worry about counter battery or spend time counter batterying.

Weren't they changing artillery to basically giant HE throwing glass cannon TDs? Or did that get dropped, I can't be bothered to read the patch notes.

Judicator65
Feb 4, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Weren't they changing artillery to basically giant HE throwing glass cannon TDs? Or did that get dropped, I can't be bothered to read the patch notes.

Got dropped. Currently Arty is usable in PvE only, no AI arty. Plans are again, of course, subject to change.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

How's the player base for this these days?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Stairmaster posted:

Probably pretty poo poo since one of their new "game modes", called Skirmish, just means that the PvP matchmaker can now put together 5v5 or even just 3v3 matches if it can't get a game going otherwise. These will take place on a smaller section of a given map.

I haven't played any games yet, but I see the Swingfire still has its two-shot ATGM launcher but it now does 700 damage per missile. :getin:

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

As with many things these days, it turns out the Russians are to blame, and essentially terrible

https://www.reddit.com/r/ArmoredWarfare/comments/5thjdv/armored_warfare_what_went_wrong/
Haha I was actually in that group where they talked to the developers and had their 60 page long Google docs. I got kicked a few months into it because I called out one of their community managers for being a racist and made fun of pubbies too much on the forums.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008

Stairmaster posted:

They just released their Hail Mary patch, ask again in like a week

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Lol they managed to make the commanders' skills even more samey and uninteresting, that's a loving feat.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Nordick posted:

Lol they managed to make the commanders' skills even more samey and uninteresting, that's a loving feat.

What why? Were the minor commander skills gathering complaints?

e: reminder for everyone to check which server it's throwing you on, I was like "why do I need to do the tutorial?" and then my garage was empty and I figured it out.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 21, 2017

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Hellsau posted:

What why? Were the minor commander skills gathering complaints?
poo poo if I know. But for some reason, the unique things like "reload speed buff when nearby ally is hit" etc are gone, now they all just have slightly different combinations of a handful of really generic buffs.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

lol pve hard is so loving easy, jesus christ this game is poo poo. MBTs cannot see poo poo so you have tanks just disappearing while firing in the open across the road from you, but it doesn't matter because you're immortal so you can just drive at them. Christ what an unpleasant game.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
So let me get this straight, new update. Choose the red pill and delete your progression. Get compensated and pretty much start back as a tier 1 scrub. Take the blue pill and pretty much nothing changes but some tank fuckery when something you own gets down tiered.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Lol and I'm without a PC :( Guess it's so long, XM1A3!

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Hellsau posted:

lol pve hard is so loving easy, jesus christ this game is poo poo. MBTs cannot see poo poo so you have tanks just disappearing while firing in the open across the road from you, but it doesn't matter because you're immortal so you can just drive at them. Christ what an unpleasant game.

eh whatever, its a good way to kill time while wot is in arty hell patch

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

demonR6 posted:

So let me get this straight, new update. Choose the red pill and delete your progression. Get compensated and pretty much start back as a tier 1 scrub. Take the blue pill and pretty much nothing changes but some tank fuckery when something you own gets down tiered.

General chat said to read the forums since the reset isn't all benefit, but I dunno the details and also lol gently caress reading their forums.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I'm not bothering to reset. I got a free tier 9 arty, a tier 9 td (the centauro 120 got moved up) and accidently got a tier 8 afv because the bradley also made the jump. That isn't counting the comedy of my bmpt terminators going from tier 6 to tier 8 (and at that level, autocannons kind of suck, but atgms are way better now).

Also, if you have an abbot during the split, they went funky on you. The tier 3 stayed behind, but the tier 4 was sold back for gold for you. You can go right back and get it if you wish. However, I really don't see why. I also gained 12mil credits and I have no idea how or why.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

JuffoWup posted:

I also gained 12mil credits and I have no idea how or why.

It demounted and auto-sold your retrofits for the "MSRP" price. Hope you bought all that poo poo when it was on special. Literally no reason to even play again until another sale happens because...why?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It demounted and auto-sold your retrofits for the "MSRP" price. Hope you bought all that poo poo when it was on special. Literally no reason to even play again until another sale happens because...why?

I think only one tank had a retrofit mounted. Otherwise, I have no idea. I also noticed that my pzh arty went from barely having any rep in it at patch time to being nearly max rep (2 games later got the centauro 155 unlocked). THat is why I have no idea what happened there.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah and the new retrofits cost like half a million for a basic one and goddamn three million for the better ones.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
They ruined the best tank in the game, my BMP-3M.

Also platinum crates are insane now, got 1,85 million credits from one and 30 day premium token from other one, along with standard insignias and boosts.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Are people pvping yet in this game? I played frontline mode or whatever it is called a few months ago and it was actually pretty fun but then the next day there was 0 people playing.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I honestly haven't tried pvp yet. I'm still adjusting to some of the tank changes in general.

As an example of it, autocannon tanks are a mixed bag that ends up being an overall nerf it feels. For the buff, they have 1s clip reloads. So there is no longer a need to reset your clip between kills. Or in the case of the fox cry because a clip couldn't kill even soft targets in pve matches. On the other hand, the armor changes has meant that their guns just don't do jack poo poo unless you are shooting the tank's rear. This even goes as far as including the premium terminators.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

lol this game is worse than before. MBTs are still literally immortal even in PvE, even in hard difficulty, but now the autocannon lights are just much worse positioned. If they go forwards and scout, they're going to get snapshot by AI and die in 4 shots, but if they hang back and just launch missiles nothing's going to spot and if your MBTs are shitheads you'll just lose to the AI capping. The autocannons have to hit very specific spots on the enemy tanks, but I guess having literally no reload is pretty cool. Just hold left click forever until you run out of HP or ammo.

I lost a medium PvE because I just kinda went buck wild with the BMD-2 and did 5000 damage, burnt my kit to refill my HP, then did another 4k and two enemies spawned on top of me while I was in the second objective resetting, and then the other four players on my team did 3000 combined and let the AI cap. All the others were unlosable games because either I was in an MBT or a competent human was in an MBT and willing to press W and go towards the enemy tanks and left click on them.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's impressive how many people grab the formula of "have tanks shoot at each other" and gently caress up so massively.

Imagine if the FPS genre was filled with developers who couldn't make a single decent FPS so you had to play Battlefield 1942 forever because it was terible and old but at least it was kinda workable (this is WoT)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

God, if they'd only kept with the original BF1942 'recipe' and not added leveling up to get new weapons and "Battlepacks." :sigh:

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Mans posted:

It's impressive how many people grab the formula of "have tanks shoot at each other" and gently caress up so massively.

Imagine if the FPS genre was filled with developers who couldn't make a single decent FPS so you had to play Battlefield 1942 forever because it was terible and old but at least it was kinda workable (this is WoT)

Yeah hahaha no one would want to play a BF 1942 HD without any of the bullshit battle log stuff haha who would want that ha ha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Protip in pve. If you are driving a mbt and can get up to a good speed (the challenger even at full speed is too slow though), ram light tanks. I just did 1k damage to one of those ultra light tanks in my t-72b. Ultralight as in a vbl or something. I couldn't stop laughing after it happened. So yeah, ram everything.

• Locked thread