Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Lepecard posted:

Wow, that "Fujiyama Ichiban Ultimate" kickstarter didn't go very well at all....

As of this post it's still under 6% funded.
It's a complete, miserable failure of marketing and branding. (And timing!)

They would have a lot more luck if they wait until people are upset about how bad the MMPR movie is, and then drop in on Kickstarter and lean into the camp. Mass market appeal is the only way they're going to make this work on a public platform like this. $7000 would be plenty of money to make a campy, cult classic toku love letter if everyone involved was passionate about the project, let's be real.

But they're going for six figures. I don't even know if the number of Americans who understand toku is that high. I hate to say 'dumb it down', but... Well, they're trying to have it both ways, and it just isn't going to work.

(Also, going from Y-7 to 16+ with the same brand identity is the kind of poo poo movie executives pull to 'revitalize' a series, not someone who is supposed to be an 'in the field' veteran who understands the genre.)

Basically, Ichiban is failing because of drastic mismanagement of their PR on every level, and it absolutely deserves to languish where it is until they decide what they're actually trying to be.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Dec 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I can see what that Kickstarter's problem is. How many toku productions happen without a huge toy company throwing a bunch of money at it? Like almost none by my count.

Since MMPR seems to be going after the same 16 year old Hunger Games dollar as every Lionsgate movie from last year onward, I thought it might be an exception; but no there's a ton of toys for that thing, too.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Lionsgate's problem was not casting me as the Red Ranger like I asked on Twitter. I'd have gotten that production in shape.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Toys is a pretty strong word for the piece of red melted plastic that you have to physically take apart to transform.

I just realized getting mad at children's toys is really stupid but I'm gonna leave this here anyway.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

I can see what that Kickstarter's problem is. How many toku productions happen without a huge toy company throwing a bunch of money at it? Like almost none by my count.
Garo, I think?

Or I could just not be cynical enough.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Poison Mushroom posted:

Garo, I think?

Or I could just not be cynical enough.

The guy who made Garo was independently pretty wealthy, and Garo was always his passion project. That's why it took so drat long to get a second movie and series.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the pr movie didn't seem to have much for kids to begin with, but that alpha 5 is gonna give them nightmares instead of selling merch. it is strange to say this, but that mess isn't toyetic enough.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Seems we've got our first leaked picture of next years team Uchuu(Space) Sentai Kyuranger:

From what I've been hearing there'll be 9 rangers (possibly from the very start), they'll be named after constellations and it also gives us a female Green from the start. So assuming this picture is legit (and so far I've found no proof that it isn't), this seems like it could be interesting.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 3, 2016

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

Seems we've got our first leaked picture of next years team Uchuu(Space) Sentai Kyuranger:

From what I've been hearing there'll be 9 rangers (possibly from the very start), they'll be named after constellations and it also gives us a female Green from the start. So assuming this picture is legit (and so far I've found no proof that it isn't), this seems like it could be interesting.

Gransazer
Give me Gransazer instead

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat

Larryb posted:

Ok, the Libra(Gold) and Scorpio(Orange?) helmets look awesome!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Here's more info about Kyuranger. It definitely looks unique at least, we'll see how it holds up. I do love space motifs though, so that's a plus.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Larryb posted:

I'm a huuuuge fan of those helmets.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Green's is loving adorable.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I hope everyone has weird anagram names like the Horoscopuses from Fourze.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Here's a few more pictures including the mech and full body shots of the rangers:

http://i.imgur.com/XJ5WtaC.png

http://i.imgur.com/6eim0kB.png

http://i.imgur.com/QwrhvNb.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/abDLGXE.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/vw0LNEu.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/0jGO7xT.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/FD47XDv.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/2tmNbEm.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/wbq52Qb.jpg

So female Green is confirmed and the "Megazord" this time around doesn't look too bad.

Caphi posted:

I hope everyone has weird anagram names like the Horoscopuses from Fourze.

The names and respective constellations were listed in the link Blaze Dragon provided (and in the last picture listed above) but apparently it's going to be:

Shishi(Lion)Red representing Leo
Sasori(Scorpion)Orange representing Scorpius
Ookami(Wolf)Blue representing Lupus
Tenbin(Balance)Gold representing Libra
Oushi(Bull)Black representing Taurus
Hebitsukai(Snake Charmer)Silver representing Ophiuchus
ChameleonGreen representing Chamaeleon
Washi(Eagle)Pink representing Aquila
Kajiki(Swordfish)Yellow representing Dorado

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Dec 3, 2016

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
So does a whole bunch of rangers mean a whole bunch of robots? Because one thing I notice about the bad, "we almost got cancelled" period of Sentai is that both Kakuranger and Ohranger had a shitload of robots to make into toys.

I always wondered if "too much poo poo for families of reasonable incomes to buy" was part of the reason kids started tuning out.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I'm kind of curious how the "6th" Ranger is going to work seeing as we've already got 9 right out of the gate (though apparently only 5 will make up the main team while the other 4 are more auxiliary ala the Spirit Rangers in Kyoryuger), or if Toei will even bother with it this time around (they probably will though as ever since it became a thing the only team that didn't have some kind of extra member was GoGoV).

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
extra heros like goseiger

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Those suits look nice as hell, which means this series is going to be bad, right

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
9 rangers off the bat and a heavy collectible focus that could include 42 to 88 collectibles.
Probably not but again show for six year olds, my standards for this entertaining me once a week are not high

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Huh, despite Zyuohger being an anniversary series, the crossover movie is just VS Ninninger instead of VS Super Sentai. I know they already did the special crossover with Goseiger but that's still kind of odd.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Twelve by Pies posted:

Huh, despite Zyuohger being an anniversary series, the crossover movie is just VS Ninninger instead of VS Super Sentai. I know they already did the special crossover with Goseiger but that's still kind of odd.

The little preview at the end of the last episode showed a couple other Reds. I think the Gokaiger team up was the main event, with the vs movie having some bits of it

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

From what I hear they're basically doing what they did in Gokaiger where the movie is technically both a normal Vs and Vs Super Sentai. In fact the full title of the movie is Doubutsu Sentai Zyuohger vs Shuriken Sentai Ninninger: Message from the Future from Super Sentai.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 4, 2016

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Raserys posted:

Those suits look nice as hell, which means this series is going to be bad, right

Gobusters, Kyuryuger and Gokaiger managed to beat that curse.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Gobusters, Kyuryuger and Gokaiger managed to beat that curse.

Then Ninninger brought it back again. For now though I'm going to stay cautiously optimistic about Kyuranger until I actually see an episode or two of it.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
9 Rangers and still only 2 women? :sad:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fezz posted:

9 Rangers and still only 2 women? :sad:

Gransazer did it so much better

It had 3 women out of 9 heroes!

yes I'm allowed to make fun of Gransazer gently caress you

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
I thought it was a monster of the week based off UFOs for Ex-Aid until I saw it was a tweet!

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
What does Kyuuranger mean?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr Tran posted:

What does Kyuuranger mean?

Kyuu = space. Kyu = 9.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Kyuu = space. Kyu = 9.

Also Kyu = ball, which is what the collectible gimmick this time is based around. It's essentially a multi-layered pun like Dekaranger was.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Dec 4, 2016

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Orb-ranger

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Ex-Aid episode 9 spoilers The "compatbility surgery" is a Bugster vaccination. Hiro can cut anything because he has game powers that let him cut anything. Emu probably got the surgery when he was a kid and maybe didn't actually need surgery at all.

The monster hunter powerup looks very very dumb and character development outside of Emu is non-existant but what the hey.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
A nine-man team sounds amazing and I hope they're all in every episode.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

A nine-man team sounds amazing and I hope they're all in every episode.

Only if they're characterized as strongly as the Zyuohgers.

I really can't stress enough how much I love Leo. He's the token "manly" one but his actor never drops below 120%, the way he runs into almost every big scene on all fours every time has never failed to get at least a smile out of me.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Leo has had all the best focus episodes, I legitimately can't think of any duds.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

The Deleter posted:

Ex-Aid episode 9 spoilers The "compatbility surgery" is a Bugster vaccination. Hiro can cut anything because he has game powers that let him cut anything. Emu probably got the surgery when he was a kid and maybe didn't actually need surgery at all.

The monster hunter powerup looks very very dumb and character development outside of Emu is non-existant but what the hey.

this kind of fuels my suspicion that Emu's sickness when he was a kid was some version of the Bugster Virus. It's still not clear who might have actually doctored him, but I'm kind of leaning towards whoever is Kamen Rider Paradox.

also Leo is basically Takaharu except his Actor is actually just loving going for it and isn't the one who solves every problem himself while everyone else sits on the sidelines and it's pretty amazing how different that makes everything.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I dropped off of Zyuuohger at episode 34. Is it worth it to go through 35 and onwards to catch up or just skip along to some other episode to catch up?

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Xelkelvos posted:

I dropped off of Zyuuohger at episode 34. Is it worth it to go through 35 and onwards to catch up or just skip along to some other episode to catch up?

just watch all the episodes. It's only 6 of them and they're all at least entertaining for their own reasons.

I legitimately can't think of a single episode of Zyuogher that hasn't been at least 'good'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

A better look at the Kyuranger suits. I like how just about every ranger looks unique from each other (especially Black who has a strong Black Knight/Magna Defender look to him, wouldn't be surprised if that was intentional).

And here's the mech which also doesn't look too bad (it looks like the "core" 5 of the team will be Red, Blue, Black, Green and Yellow though it can mix and match parts from the other 4 members as well).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 6, 2016

• Locked thread