Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
page snype bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Japan is good, thanks for reading

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Here's a list of all caves in Yamanashi (and Japan).
http://doukutsu.com/yamanashi/
観光度 tourist rating
マニア度 cave otaku rating

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Well that osaka 5.9/6.0 was interesting. In a hotel besides utsobo park and the kids noticed all of the birds had taken off and flying around and then it hit. Now to wait for the lift and then trains to start working.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Looks like Yamazaki distillery is closed, hope you weren't planning on going there

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

zmcnulty posted:

Looks like Yamazaki distillery is closed, hope you weren't planning on going there

Supposed to be returning to Tokyo today. Not sure that's going to happen. Just have to wait for the subways and shinkansen to start up again. At least the hotel has said we can stay in our room for the time being.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
How'd your kids enjoy the quake?

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Stringent posted:

How'd your kids enjoy the quake?

At the start it was interesting, and then when it started shaking for real it was all screaming and jumping off the beds. Now they are trying to clean out the local familymart's pudding stock.

I just asked the 3 year old how was the earthquake and she replied with "yummy" so I guess no long term issues (she was eating a jelly cup so that would be why).

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Well shinkansens are supposed to be up by 5pm but the midosuji line is hosed.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

And the buses are full. So huge queues. So not much point having shinkansen running if no one can get to the station or out of it.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Hope everyone here is alright after the earthquake.

Thanks for the advice re: Yamanashi caves and Akame48 everyone!
On the English language site for the ninja thing, it says "Beware that the adult outfit sizes and number are quite limited." so... pretty sure it's definitely for kids.

peanut posted:

Here's a list of all caves in Yamanashi (and Japan).
http://doukutsu.com/yamanashi/
観光度 tourist rating
マニア度 cave otaku rating
Ah this is awesome. We're not like cavers or anything, just thought it would be something cool to look at, so we'll run off the tourist rating.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

caberham posted:

So my a super cool Melbourne goon is accompanying her girlfriend for some academic conference.

We plan on being in Tokyo from July 6 - 10. They will be on their way to OSAKA so I’m just there for a weekend. Who wants to hang out?

Hamburger time!

We'll be in Tokyo from July 9-13th
Would be cool to say hi.

Edit: I managed to borrow the mobile wifi pocket thing from work. All we need is a Japanese data simcard.
can we pick them up from Narita airport? or is there a specific one we should look out for.

Sefal fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jun 18, 2018

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

You can get decent prepaid data SIMs over the counter from Bic Camera stores all over.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Awesome. Thank you!

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!
I know it's a goony as hell thing to ask, but any place in Tokyo I should absolutely eat at least once at? Going over for Christmas so I thought I'd start a list.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I just posted a giant google link of restaurants a few posts back

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

ASIC v Danny Bro posted:

I know it's a goony as hell thing to ask, but any place in Tokyo I should absolutely eat at least once at? Going over for Christmas so I thought I'd start a list.

There's several, anything in particular you're interested in?

Also here's my Foursquare again, iyi:
https://foursquare.com/user/53160958/list/restaurants

It's a bit thin on Japanese restaurants though, since I tend to forget to mark them.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

cannibalism is legal in Japan, start there

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

zmcnulty posted:

cannibalism is legal in Japan, start there

Sounds like *somebody’s* got a case of the getsuyoubis [laugh track]

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?
Hub pizza

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

When you are asking a hotel concierge to help with a booking, do you need to call or is it ok to do via email/website inquiry form?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Japan is pretty bad at the internet, I would always call for same-day reservations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Candid street photography: legal? Taboo?

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Candid street photography: legal? Taboo?

It's not illegal but not protected either. If you take a picture of someone and it causes them trouble at some point they can sue. Don't take pictures of women on trains ever, there are laws specifically about it, even if your picture is not weird it's better not to do it.

edit - not a lawyer

E_Motion
Oct 26, 2004

Your fortuitous arrival is most welcome! Now, I am spared the bother of hunting you down!

College Slice
Just booked flights for a solo trip to Tokyo from Aug 29 to Sep 5. Looking at hotels, anyone have experience with Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku or the Gracery?

Also, i’m perfectly content just chilling by myself for a week, but i’m also up for beer with goons.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I stayed at Hotel Sunroute Plaza shinjuku 2 months ago and really enjoyed it. Very good location, rooms are clean and bigger than the usual Tokyo business hotel that I’m used to. Didn’t check out the breakfast or anything special but I was very happy with the hotel

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
Privacy is valued in Japan and people have rights to how their image is used. Candid crowd scenes should be fine but avoid publishing photos that focus on a specific person without permission. Even though you'd probably never get caught, it's the respectful thing to do.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I stayed at Hotel Sunroute Plaza shinjuku 2 months ago and really enjoyed it. Very good location, rooms are clean and bigger than the usual Tokyo business hotel that I’m used to. Didn’t check out the breakfast or anything special but I was very happy with the hotel
Thanks for the tip, think I'll book here too.

Griffball
Sep 6, 2010
Welp, with the whole airbnb thing going on we lost our reservations, so we took the opportunity to book a hotel much closer to the city. We'll be staying 5 minutes from Hatagaya at a place that is basically a step up from a hostel. How is the location, it seems like I will be able to get mostly anywhere pretty easily, and there will be plenty of stuff open late nearby too.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I got lucky holding out, AirBnB gave me coupons for having a non-compliant one in Tokyo and now I have a free room and cash to spend on like cooking lessons and stuff. :slick:

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Griffball posted:

Welp, with the whole airbnb thing going on we lost our reservations, so we took the opportunity to book a hotel much closer to the city. We'll be staying 5 minutes from Hatagaya at a place that is basically a step up from a hostel. How is the location, it seems like I will be able to get mostly anywhere pretty easily, and there will be plenty of stuff open late nearby too.

Hatagaya is cool; is that 5min walk from the station or a 5min train? Just note that Hatagaya station is on the Keio New Line, which is a private line separate from the JR and Tokyo Metro, so each time you ride it you'll incur a bit of extra charge. Basically every line charges you ~100+ yen for each entry, then additional based on distance, but you get that initial charge each time you change to different companies. For a lot of places you're going to take the Keio New Line to Shinjuku station because it's your nearest big hub station, then change, so each day you're going to incur an extra like 400 yen or something from changing lines, and the pain of transferring in Shinjuku, which can also be a huge pain depending on what lines you're going to. Make sure to get a Suica/Pasmo (mass transit charge cards) to streamline transferring, otherwise you'll need to either buy a specific transfer ticket onto your next line (doable but complicated and a pain in the rear end) or buy a ticket each time you transfer (slow and a pain in the rear end).

Not the end of the world though. That area is also 2-3km from Shinjuku station, so very walkable, and a nice walk you could do each day if you really wanted. Another upside is that if you want to check out late night Shinjuku you don't have to worry about last train because it's a 30min walk or a short taxi. Similar for Shibuya, though it's more like 5km and the taxi will be much more expensive than you might think (late night taxis +20% charge). Yoyogi park is also nearby and worth a walk through on a weekend for people watching and/or park drinking imo.

Overall a pretty good compromise on being not in a pricy/loud/crowded area but also close enough to let you explore nightlife if you want.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
So now that the weather for my vacation is finally solidifing and that weather appears to be thunderstorms literally every day. How much am I going to hate my life? Also how can any place have thunderstorms for two weeks.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Magic of East Asia man. Rains every day for a good month over here. The real trick is how it rains constantly yet the humidity somehow keeps going up until it's somewhere in the 300% range.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Asian_rainy_season

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
My official prediction is that in a week or two when the rain ends it's going to be loving hot. This summer is gonna be brutal.

Blackish Sheep
Feb 3, 2007

Even cartoon me doesn't know what's going on.
I don't want this to sound as condescending as it will probably come off- but how easy is it to find tampons in Japan? Should I stuff my bag before I come or is it going to be super easy to find them (also, where would I find them)?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yup they're available at regular drug stores, even smaller drug stores near/inside stations. The words are the same in Japanese "tanpon" "panty liner" etc. Worst/best case you can ask the lanky 18 year old stockboy for help.

Flooger
Dec 26, 2004

I've been in Japan for a few weeks now, in Isesaki. Most days there are 2 ladies standing outside the train station, talking to anyone who walks by who will give them attention. Since I don't understand Japanese, I've been wondering what they were up to. Tonight I walked by and they gave me this piece of paper. Can someone who reads the language tell me what this is? My curiosity is through the roof after seeing these women out at night everyday almost for 3 weeks.

http://i.imgur.com/xZFioXS.jpg

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Flooger posted:

I've been in Japan for a few weeks now, in Isesaki. Most days there are 2 ladies standing outside the train station, talking to anyone who walks by who will give them attention. Since I don't understand Japanese, I've been wondering what they were up to. Tonight I walked by and they gave me this piece of paper. Can someone who reads the language tell me what this is? My curiosity is through the roof after seeing these women out at night everyday almost for 3 weeks.

http://i.imgur.com/xZFioXS.jpg

It’s Soka Gakkai. A somewhat culty Buddhist sect.

But also holy gently caress check the image compression when you send this poo poo dude. You take this on a garakei or what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
That guy reminds me of Neelix from star trek...