Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Going to the amusement park just makes me sad. I want all those machines to live in a better world than the one they're in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

It's actually my favourite area cos the music there is so freaking good.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I really wish those two hover machines didn't attack you while you were on the rollercoaster. I don't actually fight them, but sometimes my companion gets hit and attacks them. They're the only hostile machines besides the boss.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

A2 and Pod's interactions are actually my favourites in the game now that I see them again because the knuckleheaded warrior/logical smart guy dynamic reminds me of Nier and Weiss.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Can someone give me a hint to where I can find these?

I have found a vast majority of all weapons but those elude me still.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Locked chest in the resistance camp I think

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Emil sells them sometimes when he's on his triple speed route close to the resistance camp.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Jack Trades posted:

Can someone give me a hint to where I can find these?

I have found a vast majority of all weapons but those elude me still.

Jesus Christ I'm never using anything else once I get those hands on my hands. Gotta get my punchos.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Pod 042 sneakily ended up being the best character in the game by the end.

I did it I got to 95% enemies! That means I even managed to completely upgrade all my pods which I didn't think I'd bother with!

Time for the superbosses and then I'm done.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

make sure not to level to 99 for those because they really don't need that

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

Pod 042 sneakily ended up being the best character in the game by the end.

It's seriously great how the Pods, by the end of route B, are clearly established as the game's Greek chorus, and then find themselves evolving not merely past their diegetic programming, but past their defined narrative role as their love for the protagonists grows.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

lets hang out posted:

Locked chest in the resistance camp I think

Oh man, I forgot about that one! Route B has been really fun, but trying to remember where all those chests were that I couldn't open has been really hard.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

make sure not to level to 99 for those because they really don't need that

I'm not planning on it. I made it to 86 and am gonna go in with that.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Modder figured out how to get a ridiculous frame rate boost on PC.
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/modder-has-figured-out-a-way-to-almost-double-the-performance-of-nier-automata/

note that this isn't a full mod yet but there's no huge reason why it won't happen

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 22, 2017

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Pod 042 sure did a lovely-rear end job of keeping A2 and 9S apart!

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I find it kinda funny how in Ending E Pod 042 becomes an audience surrogate, it sees the depressing Drakengard/Nier ending unfold but refuses to let it happen and does something about it.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Nina posted:

Does A2 even ever wear hers? I don't remember that

Nope! That's my joke.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Nope! That's my joke.

Oops. :11tea:

I went studying her character model like "Hmm it has to be here somewhere..."

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nina posted:

Oops. :11tea:

I went studying her character model like "Hmm it has to be here somewhere..."

It's all of her character model, because they're both 100% best girl.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Nina posted:

What makes you think so? I'm just curious to hear that point of view since I like her concept but she's the least fleshed out main character IMO

fullgame spoilers:

all of her dialogue and actions take a really significant double meaning on a replay and the character portrayed there is great. she is the least fleshed out in terms of actual presence as she isn't there in the latter half but the stuff she does in the first half portrays someone who is actually probably the kindest char. there is in the cast despite her purpose for bein' there. there's a bit in anemone's war journal that talks about how a2's demeanor is that of someone who still has hope despite being in an eternal war and it ties extremely well into how 2b acts- she always has hope despite her pretty horrific existence. i'd say her actual character is built up through revelations relating to her actual feelings and purpose which don't even come up until long after she's dead. even the stuff like the weapon stories in all of the mainchar weapons of 2b/9s are actually her inner thoughts on her situation.

overall she's a microcosm of the themes of the game in a lot of different ways, paralleling the paths that 9s and a2 have all the way up to ending c/d in her own background and conclusion.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's all of her character model, because they're both 100% best girl.

You got that right!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Big spoilers regarding the timeline. So when the Androids are wiped out and remade each cycle or whatever are they not aware of what year it actually is or something? I find it odd how at the beginning they comment about how machines talking makes no sense and they've never seen that before but flash backs show that they've been talking and acting on their own for hundreds of years now.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Big spoilers regarding the timeline. So when the Androids are wiped out and remade each cycle or whatever are they not aware of what year it actually is or something? I find it odd how at the beginning they comment about how machines talking makes no sense and they've never seen that before but flash backs show that they've been talking and acting on their own for hundreds of years now.

I think the point is that 2B has only been sent off on mostly combat missions until now and hasn't really had the opportunity to walk around on Earth and to see machines outside large scale battles.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Vermain posted:

This is the storyline of the original NieR. The replicants began to develop sentience, which meant that they subconsciously rejected their Shades attempting to return to their bodies, causing the Shades to relapse and go insane. With the death of the Shadowlord due to Nier's actions, the one thing that was keeping the few remaining sane Shades from relapsing was gone, causing them all to relapse and ultimately ruining Project Gestalt.

The aliens are really aliens. In typical Yoko Taro fashion, they're actually from a gag ending of NieR, sort of like how NieR's events are caused by the gag ending of Drakengard.

This is from a few pages back but I feel like I need to give this more context to the original question, because Project Gestalt is something that never really got explained in any depth in Nier 1 aside from a couple of quick blurbs without any of the context to make it significant.*Warning, big spoilers for pretty much the entire series* As you may or may not be aware, Nier is a sequel to Drakengard 1, based off of the gag ending E there in which a mute psychopath soul bound to a dragon body slam a pregnant cosmic horror dieity (known as The Watcher) so hard that they rip a hole in reality and pull both themselves and said cosmic horror through a dimensional hole and land in modern day Tokyo, where they then battle to the death in a high stakes game of Dance Dance Revolution over the skies of Tokyo. This ends with the cosmic being dissolving into salt and the Japanese Defense force shooting the protagonist and his dragon out of the sky with missiles, killing both. No, I'm not kidding. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OPW-RdzStA

As it turns out, having an eldritch dieity appear out of nowhere and get smoked in the modern mundane world is some bad news bears poo poo and the exposure to the interdimensional salt from the body of the Watcher god does bad poo poo to the people who were exposed. People in the vicinity start becoming infected with a disease that in its final stages turned you into a pillar of salt, which would of been bad enough except that first hand reports indicate seeing glowing red eyes and monsters appearing among the infected. In this time, what is effectively Magical Apocalypse X-Com happens. The governments of the world begin working together to research ways to inoculate themselves against this new disease (refereed to as White Chlorination Syndrome, or WCS for short) and also battle back the monsters being spawned forth from the end results of WCS. During this time, research into this extra-dimensional salt (known as Maso) allows for the development of what is effectively considered magic, due to the unusual properties of it.

While the majority of the problems were limited to the Tokyo quarantine originally, reports had been popping up in China and South East Asia of monsters appearing and attacking citizens. Ultimately, this coupled with the uncontrollable conditions in Tokyo causes the US government to nuke the Tokyo Quarantine Zone, which has the opposite of the desired effect and instead knocks a bunch of Maso into the upper atmosphere, spreading White Chlorination Syndrome around the globe.

Ultimately, all the research done is futile, all the ways they could treat people to resist the influence of Maso and The Watcher is just delaying the inevitable. Humanity needs a bigger solution to the problem. Development into Androids and artificial life at this point have been going swimmingly, and since both lack the souls necessary for the Watcher to infect and corrupt them, it makes them prime tools to combat this threat and gather up all the Maso and send it back to the dimension from which it came. There was just one problem in that while that was happening, people are still getting infected and dying off in droves.

Enter the Gestalt/Replicant program. Using their newfound magic, researchers had discovered a way to separate people's souls from their bodies for preservation. The original body dies, but the gestalted soul could be transplanted back into a replicant after the work of cleaning up the Maso was done. The main problem they had was that while they could contain a soul without a body, said gestalt would eventually become insane and try to forcibly possess anything in order to breathe and feel again. What the project needed was a stable lynchpin to keep the Gestalts in storage and relatively sane. Magical grimoirs were made to find the suitable candidate for this lynchpin and distributed among refugee groups without their knowledge of what said grimoirs actually did.

So begins Nier 1: The opening that seemingly had nothing to do with the rest of the game was in fact Nier the human trying desperately to survive in an apocalyptic hellscape with his daughter (or sister, depending on the version of the game) before submitting himself to the Grimoir for power to save his sick daughter. His soul/gestalt and his will are sufficiently powerful enough to become the lynchpin that keeps the majority of the Gestalts in line and is given the grimoir and the ritual that can reunite a gestalt with their respective replicant, re-creating the human race once the threat of maso and WCS is gone. This powerful gestalt becomes known as the Shadowlord because of his power over the other Gestalts. The rest of humanity is converted to gestalts or is killed by White Chlorination Syndrome.

Several hundred years A millennium passes. Androids lead the generally low functioning replicants on cleaning up Maso and killing off the last of the Watchers monsters. By the time the main brunt of the game kicks off, the Maso cleanup of the world is in its last stages and there's still only a handful of trouble spots being quickly dealt with. The replicants, having been around and working for the last hundreds of years, begin functioning at a higher level. The Shadowlords personal replicant exists in an area where all the maso cleanup is done, so the replicants form into a community and the androids in charge of them work to keep them occupied and prevent them from figuring out what they are, keeping them limited in knowledge and technology. At this same time, containment on the gestalts start failing and they start going insane, attacking replicants and trying to force their way back into a new host body. The replicant for the Shadowlord's Daughter/sister during this time comes down with something called the Black Scrawl; basically what happens when a gestalt tries to forcibly take over a replicant without the proper rituals being done to ease the transition and is ultimately fatal to the host. The Shadowlord, fearing that the plan to reunite gestalts to their replicants is in danger, abducts the replicant for his daughter from her home in the replicant village to protect her and to eventually merge her true gestalt back into her body. This act enrages the Shadowlord's replicant, leading to the events of the back half of Nier 1.

Obviously this didn't go so well for the Shadowlord. When he's killed by the hands of his replicant and Grimoir Noir destroyed, the barrier keeping the rest of the sane Gestalts broke and everthing went bad. the gestalts went rampant and tried to re-possess the replicants en-mass, essentially causing both to be wiped out and effectively ending the human race. Thus the Project Gestalt reports in Nier 2.

Source: https://lparchive.org/NIER/Update%20123/

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 22, 2017

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's not Androids as a whole, but YoRHa and equivalent groups. Notice the Resistance androids already have a working relationship with Pascal before the game starts, but YoRHa purges anyone who knows too much or tries to desert. YoRHa can't be allowed to be anything than what it was designed to be, a disposable weapon that "real" androids can rally around, so they need to to be kept in the dark.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
is there a reason Jean-Paul's name is censored

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

You know what horrifies me about the aftermath of Nier doubly so? During the second playthrough it's implied relapsed Gestalts actually are sentient and capable of their own evolution when Gretel converses with them but it's extremely likely androids wiped them all out.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Is there an in-game ending list? I haven't beaten it but I've gotten a few "joke" endings and it'd be cool to see them on a list.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Alain Post posted:

they recorded it as sartre and changed it in the text without rerecording the lines probably

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Is there an in-game ending list? I haven't beaten it but I've gotten a few "joke" endings and it'd be cool to see them on a list.

http://www.rpgsite.net/feature/5392-nier-automata-guide-how-to-get-all-26-endings-including-the-best-ending

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I said in-game - I don't want to see stuff about ones I haven't unlocked, just which ones I have. Like people in this thread say stuff like "OMG I got ending Q it's so kawaii!!!" and I wanna know how they know it's ending Q.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

I said in-game - I don't want to see stuff about ones I haven't unlocked, just which ones I have. Like people in this thread say stuff like "OMG I got ending Q it's so kawaii!!!" and I wanna know how they know it's ending Q.

yeah it's listed on your save file in the load screen

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

It's listed on your save file.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

No endgame ending how-to. If you post what endings you have on your save people will probably post what they are though

Jean-Paul being censored is a copyright issue, Taro mentioned two name changes at PAX because of that. They just wanted to play around with it

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Cool, thank you, makes sense.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Your save file records what endings you've unlocked and tells you at the file selection screen. That's the most I've found though, but I admittedly haven't looked very hard.

I have a Route A question: I finished finding all five Lunar Tears and wanted to go use the key you get for it, but the elevator doesn't let me interact with it. I tried interacting with it immediately after 2B and 9S get separated and then after I found 9S, but no dice. When can I go take a peek at what's behind the elevator?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

ChaosArgate posted:

Your save file records what endings you've unlocked and tells you at the file selection screen. That's the most I've found though, but I admittedly haven't looked very hard.

I have a Route A question: I finished finding all five Lunar Tears and wanted to go use the key you get for it, but the elevator doesn't let me interact with it. I tried interacting with it immediately after 2B and 9S get separated and then after I found 9S, but no dice. When can I go take a peek at what's behind the elevator?

I think you passed the point where a bunch of sidequests get deactivated unfortunately. You'll have a chance later but it'll be a while.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

At a guess, the quest will reset when you finish the playthrough and you'll have to do it again. You won't be able to on Play A now.

There's a small chance you will be able to go down as soon as you get to the ruins in Play B but I doubt it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I believe the implication is that machines like the Forest Kingdom and Pascal's village are relatively recent arrivals, and the spread of actual sentience (an attempt by the Terminals to increase their species' development) has been agonizingly slow. It's why Adam and Eve are birthed now rather than at any other time: because the individual machines have gained enough individual intelligence that they attempt to break the deadlock via the creation of a "superior" model.

Alain Post posted:

The Sartre estate is extremely litigious, a fact which no one at Square-Enix knew (because, seriously, who would guess?) until after all of the dialogue had been recorded. Rather than re-recording it, they just bleeped his name out of the dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Also when you get the ending it'll display the title of the game with a subtitle that has the letter of the ending bracketed