Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

GutBomb posted:

I love my Logitech g910 because of the cool customizable color backlight and the fact that I can spill yogurt on it and not worry about it getting inside because of how the keycaps fit over the keys. I was able to pop all of them off and clean in between each mechanism without any gunk getting anywhere near the electronics. The design doesn't protect against liquid but something thick is good.

Yogurt, you say? :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Bovril Delight posted:

Yogurt, you say? :ssh:

:laffo:

I agree with ItBurns... I can type much faster on a $20 slim profile keyboard, and you can buy near-invisible molded plastic liners for them that completely stop surprise yogurt emissions (without having to pry off keys and clean mechanisms or any of that poo poo). They're quieter, more portable, dirt cheap, and available in a much wider variety of sizes.

Is there any actual research that suggests typing on those glorified glowing typewriters with inch-tall clickety clack keys is better for your hands?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Honestly I'm a huge skeptic when it comes to anything like this and I wouldn't give up my cherry mx black switches for anything. Once you try it, it's just such a pleasurable experience you won't want to go back.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

VelociBacon posted:

Honestly I'm a huge skeptic when it comes to anything like this and I wouldn't give up my cherry mx black switches for anything. Once you try it, it's just such a pleasurable experience you won't want to go back.

Explain like I'm five, I don't understand what value that adds. Not trying to be a jackass, genuinely confused. Is it just a more pleasurable visceral thing to mash the clickity clacks?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

Explain like I'm five, I don't understand what value that adds. Not trying to be a jackass, genuinely confused. Is it just a more pleasurable visceral thing to mash the clickity clacks?

Yes, typing on a mechanical keyboard feels better. It is a more satisfying tactile sensation to a lot of people. I have a giant cherry red mechanical at home that is great, but I also think the type cover for my surface pro is a pretty good keyboard too. Its all personal preference.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

it's just a personal preference thing, though I feel like mechanical keyboards are super overpriced for what they are. To me it's worth it to spend $80 on a keyboard with blue switches, but I'm not gonna claim it has any positive benefit beyond feeling nicer for me personally to type on

e: though I don't "get" black switches, I took a keyboard with them from work (I work at a computer recycling place) and it feels like typing on an apple II or something, I need a positive click!

d0s fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 28, 2016

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

quote:

top sound quality
It's mentioning these two things in the same breath that makes the other guy say your judgement is questionable. You're right that in certain situations active noise cancelling is amazing, flying on an airplane probably the best possible example. There's a lot of options available though and bose has kind of a reputation for being overpriced underbuilt overrated.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Non-mechanical switches rely on force up to a certain point overcoming the resistance and then provide very little resistance until you bottom the key out. Mechanicals trigger about halfway through, and have much more linear response. That means you don't have to slam the key into a hard stop, and even if you do, the key cushions the impact more. So you can type faster with less strain. Plus it's a much better feel. I run reds, so no click in the middle.

And re:overpriced, enthusiasts spend more for marginal gains to performance while talking poo poo about noticeable gains in something they do all the time. And in other areas it's worse. Any developer computer without a good keyboard that suits the user is insultingly under provisioned. It's like having a bad monitor.

Speaking of monitors, what would be a top pick for work oriented 1440p screens? Are there any competitively priced dells with their stand and USB hub features? Are there any cheaper screens that are a really compelling price alternative?

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 28, 2016

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

xthetenth posted:

Non-mechanical switches rely on force up to a certain point overcoming the resistance and then provide very little resistance until you bottom the key out. Mechanicals trigger about halfway through, and have much more linear response. That means you don't have to slam the key into a hard stop, and even if you do, the key cushions the impact more. So you can type faster with less strain. Plus it's a much better feel. I run reds, so no click in the middle.

And re:overpriced, enthusiasts spend more for marginal gains to performance while talking poo poo about noticeable gains in something they do all the time. And in other areas it's worse. Any developer computer without a good keyboard that suits the user is insultingly under provisioned. It's like having a bad monitor.

Speaking of monitors, what would be a top pick for work oriented 1440p screens? Are there any competitively priced dells with their stand and USB hub features? Are there any cheaper screens that are a really compelling price alternative?

If your needs are just that it's 1440p and also I'm guessing IPS there are many many options. I would look at your favorite online retailer and just see what's on sale. If I was looking at work-oriented I'd be tempted to go ultrawide.

e: Specifically check out the offerings from BenQ and Acer.

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

It just feels great. I'm not crazy about the blues or reds to be honest but the blacks, man they feel linear and great. You need to actually try it, no amount of us sperging is going to alter your opinion.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 28, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

VelociBacon posted:

If your needs are just that it's 1440p and also I'm guessing IPS there are many many options. I would look at your favorite online retailer and just see what's on sale. If I was looking at work-oriented I'd be tempted to go ultrawide.

e: Specifically check out the offerings from BenQ and Acer.

It just feels great. I'm not crazy about the blues or reds to be honest but the blacks, man they feel linear and great. You need to actually try it, no amount of us sperging is going to alter your opinion.

Yeah, I should have figured that just a 1440p would be in the realm of commoditized stuff where sales determine the best pick. Regarding ultrawide, believe me I understand the temptation but I don't know if the price range will fit it. It's for my boss' wife, and both he and I have ultrawides (his is one I bought originally actually), so I may just include one as an option worth considering.

And seriously, mechanical switches are definitely a feel thing and it's really sad that demos aren't easily found.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Does Kaby Lake, or rather the 200 series chipset, support 128gb of RAM?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

ItBurns posted:

Does Kaby Lake, or rather the 200 series chipset, support 128gb of RAM?

Given that that would require 4x32GB DIMMs, which would be prohibitively expensive as well as require a beefier memory controller than you'd normally find on a consumer/mid-range enthusiast board.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

So I am fixing to upgrade my computer for the first time in 3 years. I have a geforce gtx 660. I don't want to spend $400-500 on a new graphic card. What is a good option?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

What's your budget? What's your monitor resolution and refresh rate?

For regular 1080p60Hz gaming, a GTX 1060 will do just fine.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

gatesealer posted:

So I am fixing to upgrade my computer for the first time in 3 years. I have a geforce gtx 660. I don't want to spend $400-500 on a new graphic card. What is a good option?

You can get a 6GB 1060 for $229 after rebate (239-249 without), which offers 980-level performance with DX12 support.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Given that that would require 4x32GB DIMMs, which would be prohibitively expensive as well as require a beefier memory controller than you'd normally find on a consumer/mid-range enthusiast board.

Are there 32GB unbuffered DDR4 DIMMS at all? Will there ever be, or will we have transitioned to a different tech to get there?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

Are there 32GB unbuffered DDR4 DIMMS at all? Will there ever be, or will we have transitioned to a different tech to get there?

Evidently there are, but I still would bet money that the average Z270 will top out at 64GB. The only boards I'd suspect might support 128GB would be the ASUS WS line, which might use beefier IC chips.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

gatesealer posted:

If you can buy right now, the EVGA SC 1070 can be had for $357 from jet, which is a stupid, stupid good deal. It's hard to suggest going down to a 1060 even saving $100+.

http://slickdeals.net/f/9145555-new-jet-customers-evga-geforce-gtx-1070-8gb-graphics-card-357-or-less-free-shipping

This does require you to waive free returns, but its EVGA so working with them is always really good.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You can get a 6GB 1060 for $229 after rebate (239-249 without), which offers 980-level performance with DX12 support.

That seems in line with my budget. Thanks

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is it stupid to reject a motherboard due to it's lack of USB ports? Am I going to see any kind of performance hit if I just install a PCI card with more USB ports on it?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

rock2much posted:

Is it stupid to reject a motherboard due to it's lack of USB ports? Am I going to see any kind of performance hit if I just install a PCI card with more USB ports on it?

What board? Most boards have a few USB headers on the board, so you can just hook up some back plates with ports on, no bullshit third party USB chipsets needed.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

rock2much posted:

Some boards will have a connection for additional USB ports, check the manual on the maker's site and see if there's a 9-pin USB header somewhere.

Other than that, USB hubs are still a thing.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

rock2much posted:

Most boards usually have several USB Headers that you can then stuff something into the 5.25" slot on the front panel to get more ports.

edit: otherwise yeah, usb hubs still exist.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

HalloKitty posted:

What board? Most boards have a few USB headers on the board, so you can just hook up some back plates with ports on, no bullshit third party USB chipsets needed.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Some boards will have a connection for additional USB ports, check the manual on the maker's site and see if there's a 9-pin USB header somewhere.

Other than that, USB hubs are still a thing.

havenwaters posted:

Most boards usually have several USB Headers that you can then stuff something into the 5.25" slot on the front panel to get more ports.

edit: otherwise yeah, usb hubs still exist.

I didn't have a particular board in mind, but my first few results for z170 boards only had maybe 4 ports and I'm currently using like 7 of my 8. I haven't built a new computer in a few years but my i5 2500k is feeling a little slow when it comes to things like Overwatch.

Thanks everyone.

Edit: if it makes a difference, this is the board I'm about to migrate away from: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8Z68V_PRO/

I'd ideally like to use my system for gaming and programming in Android Studio.

rock2much fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 28, 2016

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

rock2much posted:

I didn't have a particular board in mind, but my first few results for z170 boards only had maybe 4 ports and I'm currently using like 7 of my 8. I haven't built a new computer in a few years but my i5 2500k is feeling a little slow when it comes to things like Overwatch.

Thanks everyone.

Edit: if it makes a difference, this is the board I'm about to migrate away from: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8Z68V_PRO/

I'd ideally like to use my system for gaming and programming in Android Studio.

Yeah, get yourself a nice USB 3.0 hub and get them accessible at the most convenient point for you. If you have a couple things like external SSDs that need a bunch of bandwidth, you can connect those directly and the other 95% of peripherals can go on the hub.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

gatesealer posted:

That seems in line with my budget. Thanks

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JNUO6BG

Here's a Gigabyte 6GB 1060 for $229 after rebate. And yeah, you *can* get a 1070 for ~$360 now, but I think some people don't consider just how important $100 is to some people nowadays. That being said, you could also spend $10-30 more and get an EVGA card - if you find the 1060 anemic, use their Step Up program to snag a 1070 within 90 days.

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011
Quick question about CPU's, I'm seeing a lot of recommendations for i5's rather than i7's. Are i7's considered overkill for gaming? I've been looking at parts for a good few weeks now and feel the burden of choice weighing down on me.

I'm still chugging along on my Q6600, 8GB's of DDR2 and GTX670 2gb at the moment, and the cracks have been showing for some time now.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Dilettante. posted:

Quick question about CPU's, I'm seeing a lot of recommendations for i5's rather than i7's. Are i7's considered overkill for gaming? I've been looking at parts for a good few weeks now and feel the burden of choice weighing down on me.

I'm still chugging along on my Q6600, 8GB's of DDR2 and GTX670 2gb at the moment, and the cracks have been showing for some time now.

i7s are just i5s with a small clock-speed boost and hyperthreading. 99% of games do not benefit from hyperthreading at all, so an i5 and i7 running at the same clock speed will give you identical performance 99% of the time. It's just paying a $100 extra for nothing.

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011

Neo_Crimson posted:

i7s are just i5s with a small clock-speed boost and hyperthreading. 99% of games do not benefit from hyperthreading at all, so an i5 and i7 running at the same clock speed will give you identical performance 99% of the time. It's just paying a $100 extra for nothing.

Ah, I see, thanks for the reply. Now that's sorted I have to look at what flavor of i5 to get!

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Dilettante. posted:

Ah, I see, thanks for the reply. Now that's sorted I have to look at what flavor of i5 to get!

i5-6600k if you want to overclock, i5-6500 if you don't. Budget permitting, of course.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what do yall think of BCLK overclocking non-k skylake cpus with z170 boards? I know you wont clock as high as a K but a 30% increase for an extra $50 in motherboard pricing seems like good value

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Fauxtool posted:

what do yall think of BCLK overclocking non-k skylake cpus with z170 boards? I know you wont clock as high as a K but a 30% increase for an extra $50 in motherboard pricing seems like good value

I would rather just pay the extra and have a chip that supports it. I thought intel locked down in some way their non-k chips that were being overclocked?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

I would rather just pay the extra and have a chip that supports it. I thought intel locked down in some way their non-k chips that were being overclocked?

BCLK overclocking is the new term for the old practice of overclocking the Front Side Bus. It's *technically* not the same thing, because things work slightly different than they used to, but it's the same principle - instead of the 'ease' and relative safety of simply boosting the multiplier on an unlocked chip, and having the CPU tell you when you've gone too far by throttling, BSODing, or refusing to POST, BCLK overclocking overclocks the system writ large. So if you take that base 100Mhz x Multiplier and turn it up to 120Mhz x Multiplier, you'll be overclocking the CPU, but you'll also be overclocking everything else that uses the bus (the reason it's not called the Front Side Bus anymore is that the CPU is separated from the interface that controls things like SATA and USB).

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 29, 2016

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Almost all the z170 boards still support it. All the bad things they said they would do to make the systems already doing it stop working never happened

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Fauxtool posted:

Almost all the z170 boards still support it. All the bad things they said they would do to make the systems already doing it stop working never happened

Well, they kind of don't *have* to do anything to make the systems stop working, because BCLK/FSB overclocking already will demonstrably shorten a system's lifespan. If you're going to up a system's BCLK don't go over ~105Mhz.

Google also shows that recent Intel CPUs will balk even at minor BCLK increases.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Fauxtool posted:

yeah everyone except ECS (lol) put back in the bclk feature because there's no reason to disallow it since it's now separated from the pcie bus

this wouldn't be the first time where everyone farted on intel and decided to allow overclocking on things that "shouldn't" be overclocked, see: haswell

they (at least asrock and msi) even backported the feature to c23x boards :w00t:

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Well, they kind of don't *have* to do anything to make the systems stop working, because BCLK/FSB overclocking already will demonstrably shorten a system's lifespan. If you're going to up a system's BCLK don't go over ~105Mhz.
The only things BCLK changes in skylake now are cpu clock multiplier and RAM speed multiplier, same as Ivy Bridge-E

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

The only things BCLK changes in skylake now are cpu clock multiplier and RAM speed multiplier, same as Ivy Bridge-E

Yeah, I wanted to edumacate myself on what made BCLK different from overclocking a the front side bus ~back in the 90s~, and that's why - they separated things with newer CPUs, so all you're doing is placing increased strain on the CPU.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, I wanted to edumacate myself on what made BCLK different from overclocking a the front side bus ~back in the 90s~, and that's why - they separated things with newer CPUs, so all you're doing is placing increased strain on the CPU.

Can you adjust the vcore as well though I thought that was locked out on the non-k chips and thus was the limiting factor.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

Can you adjust the vcore as well though I thought that was locked out on the non-k chips and thus was the limiting factor.

I'm not the person to ask - the last time I overclocked, it was setting my 2500K to an x44 multiplier in January of 2012.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

I'm looking at a new build in a Fractal Node 202 case. This only has 2 2.5" drive spots. I'm looking at a Samsung Evo 850 as the main drive and then either a cheaper 1 TB SSD or a regular 2.5" drive for the other one.

Are there any SSD brands I should avoid or things I should be wary of? Sandisk and OCZ seem to be the cheapest ones I can find.

I'll probably just put games on this so how much of a difference does it make compared to a regular HDD for that purpose?

Fists Up fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Sep 29, 2016