Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

i have not, but i would gladly replay Dishonored 1 if I had fast load times.

Totally fixed mine. It was rapid in offline mode. I hope it works for you too.

I need to replay DH1 too. I really like the challenge of stealth koing everyone at the party in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

-The cash registers are dumb. First of all nobody cares if you just loot their cash register right in front of them, and second there's always like one or two giant coins in there and it looks dumb as hell. Those giant coins are also annoying as poo poo to click on so 9 times out of 10 I accidentally close the register and have to open it again.

You aren't using a controller to play an FPS, like a big dumb idiot, are you?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The word click is right there man!

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Do you use the mouse to collect items and open things?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
In the bank heist, I made the mistake of opening a cash register near a sleeping clerk. Oops, sorry to disturb your nap, lady.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Death of the Outsider doesn't have a chaos system or even a "Clean Hands" achievement, so feel free to enact all your depraved serial killer flights of fancy.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Seventh Arrow posted:

Death of the Outsider doesn't have a chaos system or even a "Clean Hands" achievement, so feel free to enact all your depraved serial killer flights of fancy.

If you're only doing a no kill run just for an achievement then you deserve the languish in the void for all eternity. :colbert:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I still found myself not really cool with murdering city guards, though.

Overseers and Eyeless, on the other hand, only survived if it was more convenient to knock them out.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Drunken Baker posted:

If you're only doing a no kill run just for an achievement then you deserve the languish in the void for all eternity. :colbert:

my platinum trophy says you can kiss my butt, mr. man

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I didn't kill anyone in DOTO until the second half of the last level, because loving hell those big dudes that can see through semblance made that bit of the game a pain to go through nonlethally.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I've got loads of about 3 seconds, what's in your pc?

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Mymla posted:

I didn't kill anyone in DOTO until the second half of the last level, because loving hell those big dudes that can see through semblance made that bit of the game a pain to go through nonlethally.

I managed to get there ghosting every level up till that point and no way was I leaving without my achievement (Right, ladron? :clint:) so I ended up doing all kinds of wacky acrobatics with the blink ability and then cheesing the end by falling down the quarry to the end surviving with only a sliver of health.

Every other run I just spammed grenades and gadgets and slaughtered everyone in the mine. :murder:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i spent ages in the bank being real quiet and then somehow managed to fail the contract. annoying too because i'd been killing absolutely everyone

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Drunken Baker posted:

(Right, ladron? :clint:)

you drat skippy

:clint::respek::clint:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Hunted down and killed every last Eyeless and Overseer. Making Karnaca a better place, one stab at a time.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

The envisioned are easier to kill than I thought. Just a charged shot to the head and then run up to them with your sword. The first time I tried hook mines and grenades and stuff and when that didn't work, I just assumed they were invulnerable.

Something that was weird for me, though...the first time I played the Shindaery Mines, when using Foresight, Billie sees something and says "it's hurting my eye!" I didn't see what it was though...was it that eye of the dead god? On OG+ with the D2 powers, it doesn't happen.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
The Eye of the Dead God has a pretty strong presence when you use Foresight, and I presume, also Dark Vision. You have to look at it to get the line from Billie, though.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

when u find that place to hide bodies thats juuuust right

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Teleporting down to the street, grabbing guards and taking them all up to the same rooftop for a nap never stops being funny.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Seventh Arrow posted:

when u find that place to hide bodies thats juuuust right

I admit, it's a bad habit.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Lunethex posted:

I admit, it's a bad habit.

Is that in upper Cyria? The place with the bank?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Yes

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

On that one, I just disintegrated the bodies in the furnace at the taxidermist's office :kingsley: Granted, that may have been overkill.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Maybe it was obvious to everyone else but the other day I suddenly realized that Dishonored 2 is just a mashup of Thief 2 and 3. It follows the same flow from 3 with the missions being in between town sections, and even has black market vendors marked with a hand symbol. The Outsider is kinda like if The Trickster, Delilah is obviously Victoria, The Overseers are The Builders. It's so obvious now!

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

Maybe it was obvious to everyone else but the other day I suddenly realized that Dishonored 2 is just a mashup of Thief 2 and 3. It follows the same flow from 3 with the missions being in between town sections, and even has black market vendors marked with a hand symbol. The Outsider is kinda like if The Trickster, Delilah is obviously Victoria, The Overseers are The Builders. It's so obvious now!

This is great!

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Didn't the witch in Thief 3 also turn people into stone?

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Seventh Arrow posted:

On that one, I just disintegrated the bodies in the furnace at the taxidermist's office :kingsley: Granted, that may have been overkill.

Soft ollies here had a great idea: In order to make a TONNE of money what I'd do is knock out every (local) guard and put them in with the blood flies and then burn them for all that sweet blood amber.

So I do. Then I fight off all the bloodflies and load up all the bodies into the furnace... And I get one piece of amber.

I thought it'd just spawn however many pieces for however many bodies I crammed in there. Nope! Must just be a simple check where a body(or bodies) yields 1 amber.

But anyway, if you're a sick bastard and have a lot of time on your hands you could probably farm the entire populace of the city.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Man, I thought that the vault code would be a lot more complex, because of the golden ration on the board. Felt kinda silly not figuring it out afterwards...

Also the dearth of abilities is kinda nyeh.

Seventh Arrow posted:

Yep

Drunken Baker posted:

Soft ollies here had a great idea: In order to make a TONNE of money what I'd do is knock out every (local) guard and put them in with the blood flies and then burn them for all that sweet blood amber.

So I do. Then I fight off all the bloodflies and load up all the bodies into the furnace... And I get one piece of amber.

I thought it'd just spawn however many pieces for however many bodies I crammed in there. Nope! Must just be a simple check where a body(or bodies) yields 1 amber.

But anyway, if you're a sick bastard and have a lot of time on your hands you could probably farm the entire populace of the city.
I wonder if that lets you end up with more money than "possible" in a level...

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Drunken Baker posted:

It's possible it's capped to only give 3 blood amber (two from the pre-existing infested corpses, plus one more presumably from either the prisoner or the taxidermist).

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I didn't think of that. I didn't bother reloading either because I just wanted to get on with it.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Seventh Arrow posted:

Who can remember. She was such a let-down after the awesome antagonists of the first two games

Everyone talks about the (admittedly awesome) Shodan reveal, but the Trickster reveal was loving rad as hell too

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 5, 2017

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Mymla posted:

Teleporting down to the street, grabbing guards and taking them all up to the same rooftop for a nap never stops being funny.

My favorite version of this is still using upgraded far-reach to skyhook guards.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Well, after some delay, I managed to complete DOTO in a two-night marathon, and I'm still wrestling with my thoughts about it. The gameplay and Billie's power set did take a while to get used to, but I adapted comfortably. Removing the chaos system (in what I assume was a callback to the original design of D1) was an interesting experience; in every playthrough I've ever done, I've always stayed low chaos because I want the happy ending, so it was exhilarating to finally cut loose. As for the story...well, it's like this. I came into DOTO prejudiced, as I didn't like what Arkane did with the lore in D2, and I am also the only Dishonored player who doesn't like Billie Lurk. From those strikes against it, DOTO also lost me when it started digging into the Eyeless (hasn't this series had enough street gangs already?) and into the mechanics of the Void and the Outsider's history. I honestly preferred D1's portrayal of him as an imperturbable demiurge that no one could touch, and it's long been my belief that explaining how your magic works is a narrative tumor in genre fantasy that must be excised at all costs. I also didn't like the designs Arkane made for the Oracular sisters; I wish they'd cribbed from the "battle nun" designs the fandom liked so much.

Speaking of fandom, I noticed one surprising deep pull in the bank. Somewhere on the third floor, I believe, and in some of the collectible notes, there's mention of a high-ranking employee named "Vesper Bistrow." As it turns out, I recognized the name from an aborted tumblr writing/comic project about an Oracular Initiate of the same name. Sadly I can't find the page anymore; it's either been deleted or lost in the search algorithm, so I'm afraid you'll have to take my word for it.

In another shout-out to the fandom, one of the vaults in the safe has some Corvo/Outsider slash. I think that speaks for itself.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Entropic posted:

My favorite version of this is still using upgraded far-reach to skyhook guards.

Oh yeah, I'd just walk along flicking them into the air and catch them mid-air for a chokeout.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I think the Ousider got off way too easy in DOTO. Even in the best case, he's a massive jerk in D1. You can claim that it's up to his chosen's free will what they do with his power, but he chooses who he picks, and when. He didn't give Corvo the mark in time to save the Empress, or even to spring out of prison afterwards. He let him rot there for 6 months, and only after Corvo has already freed himself with the Loyalists' help does he mark him, unbidden, also forever branding him a heretic for anyone who catches a glimpse of the mark.

Then in the Daud expansions, he pretty much sets Daud and Delilah against each other, so they can't interfere with the rise of his new golden boy Corvo, all the while claiming he doesn't play favorites.

One thing I agree with, by previously having the Outsider as the sole source of magic in Dishonored's world, that really limits what you can do for interesting antagonists that can match your power. For that reason alone, he had to be written out of the series. If we get more games, the possibilities are now much more open.

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 6, 2017

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I think he pretty much just gave powers to people in such a way that he foresaw that events would play out in a way that would likely lead to his death/release. Which I think you can be forgiven for doing after being basically a prisoner for thousands of years.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I thought the ending where you let the Outsider become human again was kind of interesting. I mean, you just kind of dump him on the streets of Karnaca. Now he has to get a job. What's he going to do? It would be amazing if he became an overseer.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I just found the book The Heart of the Abyss

oh... dear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Marshal Radisic posted:

Speaking of fandom, I noticed one surprising deep pull in the bank. Somewhere on the third floor, I believe, and in some of the collectible notes, there's mention of a high-ranking employee named "Vesper Bistrow." As it turns out, I recognized the name from an aborted tumblr writing/comic project about an Oracular Initiate of the same name. Sadly I can't find the page anymore; it's either been deleted or lost in the search algorithm, so I'm afraid you'll have to take my word for it.

In another shout-out to the fandom, one of the vaults in the safe has some Corvo/Outsider slash. I think that speaks for itself.

That kind of makes sense. One of the writers on Death of the Outsider, Hazel Monforton, is a promoted fangirl. Reportedly, Harvey Smith brought her on board because he liked an essay she wrote. I knew about the slash excerpt, but it doesn't surprise me that much that there are some even deeper dives into the fandom.

• Locked thread