Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It still annoys him and that makes me laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So, uh, do we need any other mods to play the bugboys? Because insect races are cool, and I might actually reinstall Starbound to play one of them.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

dogstile posted:

It still annoys him and that makes me laugh.

Ah, yes, the true spirit of human advancement: Spite.

(I approve)

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

CommissarMega posted:

So, uh, do we need any other mods to play the bugboys? Because insect races are cool, and I might actually reinstall Starbound to play one of them.

You need a race extender mod, because the default UI only allows room for the seven base game races so others won't even show up without an extender mod.
There's a couple of extenders, my Blattra and Sarasinor mods use this one.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I Said No posted:

You need a race extender mod, because the default UI only allows room for the seven base game races so others won't even show up without an extender mod.
There's a couple of extenders, my Blattra and Sarasinor mods use this one.
Man, I remember when Starbound was being billed as "it's gonna have way better mod support than Terraria does!" and then stuff like this happened.

I mean, it is technically better support than Terraria has, but for something which was allegedly designed to be mod-friendly this is an odd oversight.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Ultimately, CF needs to manage the community, and they aren't. Without a higher authority who has extra powers and is willing to take action, mod drama never goes anywhere - regardless of who's in the right, it just spirals into an endless back-and-forth public slapfight because neither side has the power to take any meaningful action. Even if one side tries to make a civil, reasonable appeal, there's always enough deranged fans on both sides to drag it right down into the swamp. Mod drama is notorious for a reason.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

At this point if Molly is gone it’s a dead game and CF aren’t gonna do poo poo.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
if wargroove doesn't sell does this mean they get to liquidate tiy the gently caress outta there

I Said No
May 21, 2007

spit on my clit posted:

if wargroove doesn't sell does this mean they get to liquidate tiy the gently caress outta there

tiy literally owns the company so probably not

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Tiy is like an awful, awful vision of what Steve of Digital Extremes might have been.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I Said No posted:

tiy literally owns the company so probably not

So he'll get rid of everyone but himself, then. I guess that'd be the smart move in his eyes, because he sees himself as the most valuable person in the group.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I just wanted to say that as a modder of video games, I have no desire to even touch Starbound as long as Sayter is around.

Also gently caress the users of FU; they drat well know what's going on and are completely fine with it. Sayter is like a mini-Trump with his rabid bootlickers ready to defend every scummy thing he does. DMCA the drat thing and let this lovely game die.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

I saw them integrate a mod a day after they took my poo poo out, it was a Sticky Notes mod that lets you basically write and place post-it notes so you can label things. I checked with the original author to see if they had permission to do that and they did, and the author was completely cool with it, so I let it go since everything was above board.

What I didn't much care for was when Sayter said they'd put the mod into FU, some users basically responded with "sweet now I don't need that mod anymore" and "now I can uninstall that mod". So now that guy's sub count/popularity is going to drop even though there wasn't any theft or shittery going on, and I don't doubt a bunch of the really ignorant users are going to start yelling at the mod maker for "stealing ideas from FU". Even when you get noticed and praised for coming up with a great idea, FU's mere presence converts what should be an accolade into a punishment.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Does anything stop him from pinching stuff? Do mod permissions work as a circle of salt, or does he even care about those?

I Said No
May 21, 2007

A bit under a week after that apology thread he posted on the steam forums, he grabbed stuff from a mod called the Faleni Mothia, a race of 1920s bootlegger/prohibition moths. I notified the mod authors and they basically said "We had literally no idea he even did this", turns out he not only didn't ask permission, but didn't even notify the mod author that he was going to do this. They went into the FU discord to ask him what the gently caress, and he pointed to their open permissions on the CF archive and literally told them to "stop bitching" right off the bat.

They closed the permissions and told him again and he took them out shortly after, though not without banning them from the discord and deleting most of the conversation so it looks like it never happened. So basically he'll do exactly enough to stop Chucklefish from getting on his back, but no more than that.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Cicadas! posted:

Does anything stop him from pinching stuff? Do mod permissions work as a circle of salt, or does he even care about those?

Everyone whose mods got pinched had set open permissions, afaik, and are now finding out the hard way that open permissions don't carry an obligation for common courtesy.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Make a mod where you force feed him content of your own creation, and he shits it out with his own name brand instead.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I Said No posted:

I saw them integrate a mod a day after they took my poo poo out, it was a Sticky Notes mod that lets you basically write and place post-it notes so you can label things. I checked with the original author to see if they had permission to do that and they did, and the author was completely cool with it, so I let it go since everything was above board.

What I didn't much care for was when Sayter said they'd put the mod into FU, some users basically responded with "sweet now I don't need that mod anymore" and "now I can uninstall that mod". So now that guy's sub count/popularity is going to drop even though there wasn't any theft or shittery going on, and I don't doubt a bunch of the really ignorant users are going to start yelling at the mod maker for "stealing ideas from FU". Even when you get noticed and praised for coming up with a great idea, FU's mere presence converts what should be an accolade into a punishment.

The ideal way to go about this would be to add something like a compatibility patch file and some additional assets focused around your own mod that tied into the one you wanted to lift ideas from, such as special FU notes or the ability to use the notes to do something special in this case. That way, you can have all that functionality and you'd get your installed userbase to get that mod, giving you both a boost and everyone wins.

It wouldn't be low-key stealing someone's work and making it look like your own, though, so Sayter's not interested.

e: Do they even make their own assets? They have to, I imagine. It can't all be lifted work.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 23, 2018

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Could you imagine how much easier he'd have it if he dropped people a dm saying "hey, i'm gonna put your poo poo in my mod, we cool"? before doing it.

poo poo have that poo poo on your clipboard and send everyone the exact same message.

I think the reason this dumb drama is so compelling is because the guy could avoid it with literally 30s of effort, but he'd rather have the drama.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

it's just his massive ego getting in the way. It's HIS mod after all.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

The best part of not having ever used FU is that I'll never use FU, because Starbound will never be reinstalled.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

dogstile posted:

Could you imagine how much easier he'd have it if he dropped people a dm saying "hey, i'm gonna put your poo poo in my mod, we cool"? before doing it.

poo poo have that poo poo on your clipboard and send everyone the exact same message.

I think the reason this dumb drama is so compelling is because the guy could avoid it with literally 30s of effort, but he'd rather have the drama.

A MAN TAKES, A SLAVE REQUESTS.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Heartcatch posted:

The best part of not having ever used FU is that I'll never use FU, because Starbound will never be reinstalled.

Really the thing that baffles me most is that this guy cares so much about being a huge, prominent modder for a clearly dead train wreck of a game.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I've never wanted to install FU because it looked like it did far too many things, and that of these things there were far too many that I didn't care about or even didn't want in my game at all.

I don't understand why anyone would want to use it. I mean, independently from the guy behind it being a shitlord, there should be enough content that everyone will find at least one thing that annoys them in it.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
It's like Steam sales. You're never going to use half the poo poo you acquire, but it looks like everyone else is and it's easy to get so why not :v:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Heartcatch posted:

A-loving-men, my goon. :colbert:

I Said No
May 21, 2007

Chucklefish: "It's Starbound's second release anniversary! Here's the bits all the devs 'enjoyed' working on!"
Reddit: "Where's the loving content Chucklefish"

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

"Lack of community enthusiasm is killing dev motivation"
"Lack of content for the past year has killed community enthusiasm"

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Reddit Fuckwit posted:

I do love Starbound but they really left it in what feels like a half finished state. Nothing scales well and diversity is super lacking in nearly all respects.

I'd definitely buy a Starbound 2 though

:doh:

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

An absolute moron, a man with teeth growing on his brain posted:

The pessimism on this sub is killing dev motivation. They were heavily motivated by community enthusiasm back in beta days. You still can technically make missions with the provided tools. Here are tutorials. https://starbounder.org/Modding:Tiled

I don't have anything to say besides gently caress this guy. :argh:

"don't be so negative you guys, you're hurting the dev's feelings and that's why they haven't posted any actual news for the better part of a year"

It's not a loss of dev motivation, they're focusing on the console port because there are no plans for additional content. I can all but guarantee they're going to cram a pillow over the game's face once the port's out so they can continue to push their lovely advance wars clone and lovely stardew-but-with-wizards ripoff.

The worst part is it's all probably going to sell well enough to keep Tiy financially solvent and that's a loving crime.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
If a game developer has pushed a game onto steam like a bowel movement, killed any future updates, and started working on other games they'll do the same thing with, i think it's acceptable to voice your opinion of "These guys are hideous loving mongrels and I hope their company metaphorically crashes and burns for how they're mistreating the people who they publish for and how they handle their own games"

Nobody is free of criticism if the criticism is accurate, if it means something or if it's just pointless nitpicking. Starbound has a lot to be criticized for, and Chucklefish will never hear any of it, because they do not care. After the whole microtransaction shenanigans with Payday 2, the devs started doing a lot more for the game, including killing off paying for the safes a whole five months after they introduced them, a whole lot more content updates, almost constantly giving their players something to get excited about. Chucklefish can't even do that for their game, and all they'd have to do would make up new biome or planet types, maybe implement the whole "different races have different abilities" thing they said they'd do, maybe make up two or three new bosses, enemy parts, etc. They don't care, they've moved on to the next poo poo they're gonna put out. So, why would they care if people get upset about it? Why should we care about them not caring?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The only thing I can do is not give them any of my money.

As Starbound was bought as a gift for me years ago (back when it was a good gift), so far, so good :smug:

I idled the server window one time for a few days straight by accident, so now the goddamned game is in my 'most played games' list, because it has something like 70+ hours logged.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Thick And Fast™

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Rhopunzel posted:

Thick And Fast™

I forgot all about that tagline. What a joke.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

While it's clear that Starbound is unlikely to get another content update and is mostly dead now, they really are not helping things with this at the bottom of the news post:

quote:

Getting Starbound to that point was such an exciting journey, and I can’t wait to see how the game will continue to evolve in the next two years – both through development updates and community content.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Starbound... it had a chance at being good but got... tiyed up in development.

I dont remember which one of you guys came up with that but I've stolen it. Again. And I will do so in the future as well. I'm like the sayter of bad jokes. And no I won't credit you.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The tragic thing I think is that, flaws of the formula aside, they had a perfectly solid base for a good game and repeatedly squandered it with boneheaded decisions, unnecessary gating and in general having no idea how people actually wanted to play the game.

I gave Frackin Universe a try on the recommendation of friends and was severely underwhelmed. And also a bit overwhelmed. Definitely a case of a Sandbox Mod(tm) where more content=more betterer as far as the mod makers are concerned, and more complicated crafting sequences=more content.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Are there any good mods that give each race their own special abilities? Because I admit, I kind of like the game in small doses now and then, and if Chuckefucks won't do what's necessary, I'm hoping the community would.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

grimcreaper posted:

Starbound... it had a chance at being good but got... tiyed up in development.

I dont remember which one of you guys came up with that but I've stolen it. Again. And I will do so in the future as well. I'm like the sayter of bad jokes. And no I won't credit you.

grimcreaped again

Also I never want to give my money to these chucklefucks again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ghost Leviathan posted:

and more complicated crafting sequences=more content.

That was one of the "yeah, definitely not going to install this" points.

In the same vein, this looked cool (I like variety) but then I read the description and see this kind of things:

quote:

Of all the foods added by this mod, Chocolate is probably the most complex to produce of all. Some require a couple extra steps beyond crafting at the Wooden Cooking Table, but none are as involved as Cacao/Cocoa. This section will focus on refining Cacao Beans into Chocolate.

Like all other crops, Raw Cacao Beans are obtained by growing its plant, the Cacao tree, from seeds you have found on Jungle worlds or from the Terramart. Ready to be harvested, Cacao trees look like this:

To make these beans useable, you need to bake them until they are roasted.

People new to crafting chocolate will learn to craft Cocoa Nibs from these Cocoa Beans. To make Cocoa Nibs, you need to visit your regular Wooden Cooking Table.

Toss those Cocoa Nibs into your Hand Mill to produce Cocoa Powder (which also can be bought at the Infinity Express).

Toss this powder in your campfire to produce Chocolate Liquor (it's not alcoholic).

Now toss your Chocolate Liquor into your Hand Press to produce... Cocoa Butter! Be careful about using up all your Chocolate Liquor, though - unless you get more, you will not be able to produce some kinds of Chocolate!

Upon picking up this Cocoa Butter, you will learn how to craft Chocolate, Dark Chocolate and White Chocolate. Yum!

At your Wooden Cooking Table, you'll find the three recipes. All require Cocoa Butter and Vanilla Extract as well as Sugar and a couple other varying ingredients. A sweet treat, indeed.
This is the precise opposite of fun.
I wouldn't mind if it was a one-time affair and after you've done all these steps, you get a one-click recipe; but the idea of following "realistic" recipes step by step like this all the time just makes the game worse. I dpn't understand how people can want that.