Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Out of work actor and waiter are synonyms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

I picked up Discovery+ and have just finished all three Tournament of Champions seasons back to back to back and yeeesh that was some amazing looking food.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I always thought they were volunteers from service clubs or those people who do tv shows as audience members to fund raise for their groups, not actual servers.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I was wrapping up Good Eats before canceling Discovery+ and lol that the last episode before being canceled has the theme of "post-apocalypse" and it ends with the generator cutting out

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Weary chef judges cooking tiktoks
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7109850378283388165

Sometimes he finds one he likes
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7110931223802825990

Imparting wisdom:
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7108372879535885574

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

That old man’s steak looks amazing.

Also I’d eat that chicken bun too.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lol at "that's loving gross 1 out of 10 I'd still eat it"

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Guy has a good energy to him.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Enjoying his increasing frustration as that woman touched more and more things in her kitchen with her salmonella gloves

mystes
May 31, 2006

Internet Wizard posted:

Enjoying his increasing frustration as that woman touched more and more things in her kitchen with her salmonella gloves
I liked that because I always feel kind of gaslit by cooking youtubers doing that poo poo

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Anyone else watching the great food truck race? One if the contestants seemed to have a breakdown, got out of the car and just ran away. There were no telling had interviews with her afterwords, they just bounced. It was very odd.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

god drat I want to eat all of that

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Carillon posted:

Anyone else watching the great food truck race? One if the contestants seemed to have a breakdown, got out of the car and just ran away. There were no telling had interviews with her afterwords, they just bounced. It was very odd.

At least the one team member got to talk to everybody at the end and vent a little. Really sucks for her that her teammates just bounced like that. Hopefully she gets a job at a more stable truck back home.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

That sounds bad for the partner but we really should normalize running the gently caress away from a reality show if you don't like the experience.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

That sounds bad for the partner but we really should normalize running the gently caress away from a reality show if you don't like the experience.

Wanna see this on Below Deck.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

If it sucks hit da brick ovens

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Leraika posted:

Is Alton entertaining at least

I've watched the first episode, and he's given more time to interact with the chefs and his co-host without the commercial breaks. The also give the chairman more time to do flips.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

First ep of Netflix Iron Chef is delightful. A theme + ingredient is a fun twist. Still suffers from the same thing as the rest of the U.S. run in that it doesn't have the gravitas the Japanese one had. Maybe the original was seen as just as cheesy when it aired, but something about how serious the show took itself made it more enjoyable. Here they kind of go half and half, and it makes it feel more generic.

Sucks that the competitor can't choose the Iron Chef they're fighting. That was a really cool element of the original series.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 24, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

The World Inferno posted:

First ep of Netflix Iron Chef is delightful. A theme + ingredient is a fun twist. Still suffers from the same thing as the rest of the U.S. run in that it doesn't have the gravitas the Japanese one had. Maybe the original was seen as just as cheesy when it aired, but something about how serious the show took itself made it more enjoyable. Here they kind of go half and half, and it makes it feel more generic.

Sucks that the competitor can't choose the Iron Chef they're fighting. That was a really cool element of the original series.
I watched a tiny but but my biggest problem is that aside from Mark Dacascos at least trying to do the iron chef shtick, it just feels like literally every other food competition tv show to the point where it could almost have been filmed as another show and rebranded as an "Iron Chef" show in postproduction.

Iron Chef America at least seemed a lot more of its own thing than that.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
About to get into The Bear. Anyone else?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

mystes posted:

I watched a tiny but but my biggest problem is that aside from Mark Dacascos at least trying to do the iron chef shtick, it just feels like literally every other food competition tv show to the point where it could almost have been filmed as another show and rebranded as an "Iron Chef" show in postproduction.

Iron Chef America at least seemed a lot more of its own thing than that.

Yeah exactly. I've been half watching recent Top Chef's seasons, and it loving killed me when one of the sous chef's of this Iron Chef iteration asked "HEY COOK, WHAT ARE YA DOING". It's something you see routinely in Top Chef and more noticeably in the Last Chance Kitchen's where a random observer cook will shout that. It just feels.... super play-booky. Like hey we need to prompt them, so have a person shout it.

Which is a bummer, cause the show really doesn't need that. Reeks of a lack of confidence, which is annoying given Alton's talked in interview's about trying to move away from formulaic tv.

Three episodes in, it's fine. But could be a lot better, and does feel super generic, which is a huge shame.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

First ep of Netflix Iron Chef is delightful. A theme + ingredient is a fun twist. Still suffers from the same thing as the rest of the U.S. run in that it doesn't have the gravitas the Japanese one had. Maybe the original was seen as just as cheesy when it aired, but something about how serious the show took itself made it more enjoyable.

Hell yeah

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

I don't know how to break it to you.... they didn't actually choose, it was all scheduled ahead of time and the chefs all rising together was shot ahead of time and cut in.

But that is an example of a fun element that's missing. If you're going to go for that kind of campy show then lean all the way into it otherwise what the hell are you doing.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

In the past week I've seen Korean army stew on the Youtube page for the New York Times and Bon Appetit. Crazy to me that when I was a kid everyone thought my lunch food was disgusting but now a slapped together soup made of spam and kimchi is somehow mainstream and cool. Also I'm seriousy impressed that Chris Morocco was able to recreate the dish without any knowledge of what it was.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jun 25, 2022

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Re the most recent iron chef, there's not enough episodes, you're are there only like 8 episodes? Also I wish they didn't have Andrew Zimmern as a seemingly permanent judge. He's always seemed like a tool and it continues to come across.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Rescue Toaster posted:

I don't know how to break it to you.... they didn't actually choose, it was all scheduled ahead of time and the chefs all rising together was shot ahead of time and cut in.

But that is an example of a fun element that's missing. If you're going to go for that kind of campy show then lean all the way into it otherwise what the hell are you doing.

Oh doy. That makes a lot more sense, but yeah. As ya say point still stands.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Original Iron Chef is one of those things that won't ever come back until a production truly channels and understands The Spirit Of The Thing alongside the nuances.

Same as the legendary edutainment pleasure that was Dotch Ryori.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Mu Zeta posted:

In the past week I've seen Korean army stew on the Youtube page for the New York Times and Bon Appetit. Crazy to me that when I was a kid everyone thought my lunch food was disgusting but now a slapped together soup made of spam and kimchi is somehow mainstream and cool. Also I'm seriousy impressed that Chris Morocco was able to recreate the dish without any knowledge of what it was.

My older brother did that last year on his foodgram using a kit from some Korean company that he filmed for a promotion. It tasted fuckin' gross when I tried it. :barf:

Mr_Roke
Jan 1, 2014

I'm just 3 episodes in, but New Iron Chef thoughts:

I think it's good once they actually get cooking? The pre-cooking chefs lame bantering (Samuelsson with the "I'm going to win" stuff seems way off) or Crenn hamming to the camera was cringe-worthy.

I know the competition is going to have a veneer over it because it's for television, but I just want to watch people cooking cool poo poo and trying to top the other. Stop doing dumb poo poo like throwing football players into the kitchen.

Alton and Dacascos doing their Iron Chef stuff is good, Kristen Kish is a delight, and I think the permanent judges are decent.

And it was way too early to pull out the "Iron Chef team vs Iron Chef team" thing. It's 4 episodes in, we haven't even seen all 5 chefs cook on their own yet.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

droll posted:

About to get into The Bear. Anyone else?

It's really good. I bet it'd be even better if I worked in the industry.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Yeah my partner and I enjoyed it a lot. It brought back a lot of memories, some bad some good. Non industry folk will enjoy it too.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Cousin using a specific Eastern European ethnicity as an insult for stupid immediately brought me back to my childhood of growing up in the Great Lakes region. I never lived in Chicago itself, so I can’t speak for any specific authenticity, but the writing nails the general region pretty solidly.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Mu Zeta posted:

I think the first time I saw it was on one of Bourdain's shows on a trip to South Korea, he met up with a mukbang livestreamer and that's what they were eating.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I started watching this guy for other reasons, but he is really becoming my favourite food series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyVztb-6VuA

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I have a rotary cheese grater like that — not mounted to the table, but handheld. I store it in the fridge with a small block of parm in it and have on-demand, no-effort grated cheese.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

VictualSquid posted:

I started watching this guy for other reasons, but he is really becoming my favourite food series.

Is this a whole genre? I've seen another account that does amazing metal restorations do a different cheese grater recently

mystes
May 31, 2006

VictualSquid posted:

I'm not that interested in restoration videos but I enjoyed his carbonara making enough that I would probably watch if he made videos that were just cooking

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Steve Yun posted:

Is this a whole genre? I've seen another account that does amazing metal restorations do a different cheese grater recently

Restorations is a whole genre. But, afaik this is the only restoration channel that uses the food items to actually put effort into food.

The cheese computer video was amazing, but iirc he just cut of a slice of cheese and ate it once he was done.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

gently caress this

https://twitter.com/ChefReactions/status/1545532939831762946?s=20&t=uVqLU7CzxpOaG_NF-ks_Mw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

wtf lol

I wonder if he was popular enough for someone who works there to override it