Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Frenchland Squatknights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
im the suggestion that you kitbash some inconsequential models using vanishingly hard to find kits because buying anything other than citadel™ miniatures is a heresy

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
an open mind is like a wallet with its gates unbarred and unguarded

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

im the suggestion that you kitbash some inconsequential models using vanishingly hard to find kits because buying anything other than citadel™ miniatures is a heresy

As if we don't all have dozens of out-of-production kits sitting in storage quietly waiting for a project to call upon them.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I regret not buying some elf and dark elf kits back in the day for use in conversions now

its hard finding that poo poo on ebay now that everything is a 'Aelf Murderkinn' or 'Brightfucker Holyhunk'

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
In the Blood Bowl comic there's a bit where fans of the teams storm onto the field and fight each other and interfere with the game. Does the Blood Bowl game have rules for something like that?

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

In the Blood Bowl comic there's a bit where fans of the teams storm onto the field and fight each other and interfere with the game. Does the Blood Bowl game have rules for something like that?

Indeed it does.

Pitch Invasion: Both coaches roll a D6 for each opposing player on the pitch and add their FAME (see page 18) to the roll. If a roll is 6 or more after modification then the player is Stunned (players with the Ball & Chain skill are KO'd). A roll of 1 before adding FAME will always have no effect.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shadin posted:

Indeed it does.

Pitch Invasion: Both coaches roll a D6 for each opposing player on the pitch and add their FAME (see page 18) to the roll. If a roll is 6 or more after modification then the player is Stunned (players with the Ball & Chain skill are KO'd). A roll of 1 before adding FAME will always have no effect.

That's cool. But I was kinda hoping it would be a bigger thing, like, with models of fans for each team

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Now I want to make a fan model to represent each fame.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Guy Goodbody posted:

That's cool. But I was kinda hoping it would be a bigger thing, like, with models of fans for each team

Stop the game, play AoS, resume game.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Stop the game, play AoSmordheim, resume game.

please never suggest playing age of slgmar

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
With AoS2e on the horizon, GW is running faction focus articles for every race. It features advice for new players of said faction.

90% of advice is "charge."

What a deep game.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Dude those articles are loving garbage and they tell you almost nothing, just like every gameplay article about any game they've ever posted

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Mindlessly charging into the middle of the board is also 90% of AoS so it checks out.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

please never suggest playing age of slgmar

I've never played it. Mordheim is a better choice.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Safety Factor posted:

Mindlessly charging into the middle of the board is also 90% of AoS so it checks out.

That's literally how folks play AoSzpocalypse. 6 players bring in their armies, arrange them into two lines 12" apart by the looks of it, and spend three hours mulling over melee priority.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

JcDent posted:

That's literally how folks play AoSzpocalypse. 6 players bring in their armies, arrange them into two lines 12" apart by the looks of it, and spend three hours mulling over melee priority.

riveting

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Love to still be bitter about board games for 3-4 years.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Mordheim has the advantage of being the best game GW has made. I would kill for it to be redone with the same level of quality that Necromunda got. Even if they set it in AoS it would still be fun.

Still sad I never got to finish Border Town Burning before then Mordheim players finally disappeared totally here.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Mordheim is great

Gorkamorka is great

Necromunda is great

Warmaster is great

Being a grog is great

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

A box of neophytes is $20 cheaper than the Fallout settlers and comes with two more guys.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

ineptmule posted:

Being a grog is great

m-mods?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Mordheim has the advantage of being the best game GW has made. I would kill for it to be redone with the same level of quality that Necromunda got. Even if they set it in AoS it would still be fun.

Still sad I never got to finish Border Town Burning before then Mordheim players finally disappeared totally here.

I'd drop money on AoSheim immediately if what you said happened.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

JcDent posted:

Duh. 40K Apocalypse is exactly the same way. When you have that much crap on the table, you have no other choice than to just move straight ahead. (Also, why the gently caress would anyone play Apocalypse anything? "Move forward x inches, wait three hours for my turn. Repeat."

Safety Factor posted:

How weird that a game with very little shooting and a lot of H2H would end up with most of the models ending up in the middle of the table in a scrum... Oh wait - WFB was the exact same way, except everyone was in neat blocks, rather than piled in, 40K style.

The "charge into the middle" complaint is a silly gripe to have, considering the style of combat. A more valid complaint would be with 40K's reliance on melee, considering the fact that literally everyone has a gun.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

There was something the other day that I read that talked about small bands of warriors going onto city ruins, looking for artifacts. It could have been nothing, but it really got my hopes up for a Mordheim-type game. If the new Kill Team takes off, maybe we will get a Fantasy version. I would be sooo happy.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

berzerkmonkey posted:

There was something the other day that I read that talked about small bands of warriors going onto city ruins, looking for artifacts. It could have been nothing, but it really got my hopes up for a Mordheim-type game. If the new Kill Team takes off, maybe we will get a Fantasy version. I would be sooo happy.

Frostgrave? Or if it was GW, that's probably talking about Shadespire - the fluff follows that, but the game really isn't Mordheim.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Energy explosion brain: Reading GW articles on games to see the snippets from books with the actual mechanics.
Galaxy brain: Not reading Warhammer-Community articles or White Dwarf and just getting everything worthwhile from social media.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

berzerkmonkey posted:

How weird that a game with very little shooting and a lot of H2H would end up with most of the models ending up in the middle of the table in a scrum... Oh wait - WFB was the exact same way, except everyone was in neat blocks, rather than piled in, 40K style.

I remember being able to attack the side and the rear of a unit, adding at least a thin vaneer of strategy.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

glitchkrieg posted:

Frostgrave? Or if it was GW, that's probably talking about Shadespire - the fluff follows that, but the game really isn't Mordheim.

No, it was one of the newer fluff pieces regarding AoS and the (finally) updated setting. There's been so much lately, I can't remember exactly where I read it though. It was just a sentence, and it could have been a throwaway line, or even an oblique reference to Shadespire. Obviously, until I can find the reference, take it with a grain of salt.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

Duh. 40K Apocalypse is exactly the same way. When you have that much crap on the table, you have no other choice than to just move straight ahead. (Also, why the gently caress would anyone play Apocalypse anything? "Move forward x inches, wait three hours for my turn. Repeat."

The "charge into the middle" complaint is a silly gripe to have, considering the style of combat. A more valid complaint would be with 40K's reliance on melee, considering the fact that literally everyone has a gun.

AOS already has a skirmish game ala kill team i think?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Zasze posted:

It does. They have two small-scale games between AoS Skirmish and Shadespire so I don't really have high hopes for a Mordheim revival, but maybe if Necromunda does really well.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

LashLightning posted:

I remember being able to attack the side and the rear of a unit, adding at least a thin vaneer of strategy.

That's because you had large blocks in WFB. In AoS, each model is an individual, part of a larger whole (like 40K) so you don't really have flanks as such. AoS looks less like a well drilled battlefield and more like the Hobbit: BoFA scene, where the Orcs and Dwarfs are intermingled and there is no cohesion, just individuals in their own combats.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009
I keep hearing that it’s just piling up models but I’ve seen battle reports and strategy guides that show that positioning is incredibly important and has quite a bit of depth to it so maybe GW community people are just bad at the game.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Zasze posted:

They do, but it's "AoS, but smaller!" whereas Kill Team is its own distinct rules set, independent from the 40K rules. Also, AoS skirmish is an early product, and isn't very good, balanced, or well written. Example: They recommend a starting points value for your skirmish force that is less than some of the mandatory hero points values. Have fun with your one-man skirmish force!

Shadin posted:

I keep hearing that it’s just piling up models but I’ve seen battle reports and strategy guides that show that positioning is incredibly important and has quite a bit of depth to it so maybe GW community people are just bad at the game.
This was a complaint with the early iterations of the game, but while the game has changed in the 4+ years it has been out, the bitching nerds have not. I was big on AoS hate when it first came out, but it actually seems like a decent game now, and with 2nd ed coming out, it's finally getting the launch it should have got in the first place. And, to be completely honest, seeing the direction 40K is going, combined with the majority of the player base, I'd much rather play AoS...

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 6, 2018

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

berzerkmonkey posted:

40k Apocalypse is loving terrible and I don't think you can fix it short of removing infantry or just playing Epic instead

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Zasze posted:

Looking for some suggestions for filling out a bunch of civilian models for necromunda since there are now a few scenarios that require them (and its really cool and fluffy to have them around) but im having a hell of a time finding sci-fi regular people models any suggestions?

Return to Colony 87 might be doing another KS round this year?

E: During which you can usually get the past 2 (3?) sets as well as the current one.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jun 6, 2018

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yeah no. WFB would usually feature a battle in the middle, sure, but would also feature more than one focal point as blocks maneuvered for flank charges or break through to fragile ranged units. I played WFB a lot, and I don't remember a single battle where more than half of the action was just a melee in the middle. AoS sucks

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Kaza42 posted:

Yeah no. WFB would usually feature a battle in the middle, sure, but would also feature more than one focal point as blocks maneuvered for flank charges or break through to fragile ranged units. I played WFB a lot, and I don't remember a single battle where more than half of the action was just a melee in the middle. AoS sucks

It's pretty good, actually

JcDent
May 13, 2013

At least the ranged units can't shoot out of melee in AoS 2e. They can still shoot in their own melee, but at least charging them has a purpose in AoS 2e.

Well, they can still shoot into their own melee.

But yeah, WHFB had ranks, flanks, block movement, and I think you even had to test for some sicker maneuvers? Morale system was better - throw up a screen of expendable infantry to be charged, and whatever dregs that survive will run, possibly panicking the unit you shielded with them.

From my experience, positioning in AoS matters for two things: auras and weapon ranges. So from arranging flank charges or whatever, you go to meticulously positioning every last dood to get the most of your pile-in or whatever.

ED: I will never agree that mortal wounds are a good thing. Removing models without being able to do anything about is one of the worst experiences in gaming, and mortal wounds just codifies it. At the same time, it's not physics, and nothing prevents GW from making heroes/units that ignore MWs, getting you back to step 1 of immortal heroes. The awesome-looking Lord Headsman or whatever (the new ghost with gallows on the back) has a 5+ FNP for wounds and MWs IIRC.

JcDent fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 6, 2018

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Nerf Ghosts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
berzerkmonkey defending AoS is an unexpected heel turn.