Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

WMain00 posted:

I was going to say the New Horizons mod is pretty good, but actually I think i'm going to have to retract that because the beginning is so ridiculously difficult and the mod team seem hell bent on making it this way. The cost of building ships is astronomical and you're hit with pirates, aliens and Xindi two times your power and ability almost right off the bat. The whole experience isn't fun at all and unless you get a good roll in regard to setting up UFP and resources, you'll probably have to restart over and over again.

It's kind of sad really as it would be good otherwise, but really it's just incredibly difficult and frustrating.

Will wait for the DLC and see if I'm going to continue playing this game.

I've started like 5 games as the Federation on this mod and I only saw earth get blown up once.

All you do is pick all the choices that appeared in the show for the event, and you get the enterprise, some xindi ships, and maybe an andorian and vulcan ship too.

To be honest as long as you know the event is coming up, you can build up your fleet a little bit and when the big murder probe turns up as long as you kill the support ships and get it down to like half health, your space station will kill it as space stations are ridiculously powerful.

I think it does need to be rebalanced though. I think what I would probably do is remove the random element from the Xindi event chain, and make all of the options viable. I would probably make the options shift your ethics as the Federation too, so like if you run through the whole event killing aliens and poo poo you come out of the xindi crisis being a xenophobic Federation. I'd also make it so earth is basically only destroyed if you let them or you're massively incompetent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

All you do is pick all the choices that appeared in the show for the event, and you get the enterprise, some xindi ships, and maybe an andorian and vulcan ship too.

That relies on you knowing what happened then. Shame if you came in from TOS or Next Generation or Deep Space 9 or even Voyager, and aren't up on your Enterprise, so you're guessing.

So I ask, what are the odds of it going wrong if you are just guessing?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

SO I probably shouldn't play the mod if I haven't seen all the shows. I'm still on season 2 of TOS and have a lot of catching up to do and wouldn't want to spoil myself. How spoilery does this mod get if I'm trying to get through all the TV shows? I have the mod ready to rumble but haven't taken a crack at it yet.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

This still doesn't fix the issue that ships are extremely expensive to build and maintain in the mod. Since stellaris is a numbers game, you're still going to get your rear end kicked by pirates if you throw your ultra expensive one ship at them. I respect that the mod isn't about making big fleets but come on.

Meanwhile the xindi encounter pretty much destroys all your ships and stations anyway. In the last three times I've tried to get through it it's been up to my station on earth to finish the thing off, but by this point I have no ships, my resource stations have been destroyed and there's pirates everywhere, so there's no point continuing.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Bloodly posted:

That relies on you knowing what happened then. Shame if you came in from TOS or Next Generation or Deep Space 9 or even Voyager, and aren't up on your Enterprise, so you're guessing.

So I ask, what are the odds of it going wrong if you are just guessing?

3 DONG HORSE posted:

SO I probably shouldn't play the mod if I haven't seen all the shows. I'm still on season 2 of TOS and have a lot of catching up to do and wouldn't want to spoil myself. How spoilery does this mod get if I'm trying to get through all the TV shows? I have the mod ready to rumble but haven't taken a crack at it yet.

I mean I don't think things can go wrong per se, it's more that you don't get help from aliens like the humans do in the TV show, which is dumb because that should be the default, as it sets the Federation in motion.

Long story short off the top of my head:

* When there is a xindi worker in the mine buy him or use the Macos to rescue him
* When you find the vulcan ship in distress research a cure (25% chance you fail though which is a bitch as the vulcan ship is the strongest)
* When the Andorian offers you help, accept it
* When you're asked to sabotage a production facility, send in the Macos
* When you're asked if you want to abandon a guy on the planet or deceive him choose deceive (but another random chance you fail)

Basically the best case scenario is the xindi, the vulcans, and the Andorians all give you vessels. Them plus the enterprise plus the fleet you've built plus the space station is enough to destroy the probe easily.

It doesn't matter if the first probe shoots earth or not, it does it in the TV show but it does kill some pops and blow up buildings so try to kill it.

Some of the options I listed above also take minerals and energy, so make sure you have at least 500 of both while doing the event chain.

WMain00 posted:

This still doesn't fix the issue that ships are extremely expensive to build and maintain in the mod. Since stellaris is a numbers game, you're still going to get your rear end kicked by pirates if you throw your ultra expensive one ship at them. I respect that the mod isn't about making big fleets but come on.

Meanwhile the xindi encounter pretty much destroys all your ships and stations anyway. In the last three times I've tried to get through it it's been up to my station on earth to finish the thing off, but by this point I have no ships, my resource stations have been destroyed and there's pirates everywhere, so there's no point continuing.

Without wanting to simply reply "get good" I've done this every times and I've recovered easily enough. United Earth is literally surrounded by the Vulcans, the Andorians, the Tellarites, and the Benzinites. These guys are all Federation builders and won't be invading you, so temporarily not having 4 ships when your space stations can easily kill 4 ships isn't a problem.

The much bigger risk is actually the Romulans. Sometimes they conquer the Flaxians early on and because they have a huge number of planets near Romulus get a ridiculously high fleet cap.

Basically as the Federation you need to do this:

* Sign a defensive pact with the vulcans straight away. Then sign a research agreement.
* Focus on combat tech for your ships, any tech raising fleet cap, and building up mineral production
* When you meet the Andorians also sign a research agreement with them
* Get into a coalition with the Vulcans and Andorians
* Get the Tellarites on side, also sign a research agreement with them
* Get a space station above Mars and ideally at least one colony in Alpha Centuri withva space port
* when xindi event triggers don't research the projects until they are about to expire because you need time to save up resources
* Max out fleet cap but keep a reserve of minerals and energy for the events
* Kill the orb, if you've damaged the probe and killed the xindi ships don't let your fleet die for no reason, just withdraw and let the station kill them

If you've done all that it will start the demons event chain. This is massively disappointing because it was the half baked story that was running when the show was cancelled. Invade Mars and then form the Federation.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
I did both the projects but nothing else happened for me. I think the event chain broke.

I did join a coalition with the Trills, Bajorans and Betazoids. The Trills decided that we needed to liberate Cardassia Prime do that was novel.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

HiKaizer posted:

I did both the projects but nothing else happened for me. I think the event chain broke.

I did join a coalition with the Trills, Bajorans and Betazoids. The Trills decided that we needed to liberate Cardassia Prime do that was novel.

To form the Federation you need to be in a coalition with at least 2 other empires and at least one of them must be the vulcans, Tellarites, or Andorians. You also need to not be fighting anyone.

I usually get as many of those three into the coalition as possible, Unite, and then join the inevitable Benzinite/Bodian coalition and begin absorbing them.

Also the fact Bajorans frequently has its own empire instead of being subjugated by the Cardassians annoys the poo poo out of me.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
gently caress Bajorans

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Dukat did nothing wrong.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Bajor was only occupied for 50 years before DS9, so they shouldn't be subjugated by the Cardassians.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Q_res posted:

Bajor was only occupied for 50 years before DS9, so they shouldn't be subjugated by the Cardassians.

That's like 2300 and Star Trek Enterprise is like 2150 which means it's only 150 years of game time until Cardassians owns Bajor, which isn't that long really in a Paradox game.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Man, the Focused Arc Emitter was just made for clowning on fallen empires.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=873872037

Can anyone take a look at my modpack and offer some feedback? Assuming you guys play with mods. A lot of people say it's pretty fun/hard right now and it's currently basically bug free but wondering if I should add/take anything out. I designed it for our friday night goon games in BMW but it's one of the number one packs right now so actually taking it seriously.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
So I am playing for the first time in a few patches and wanted to try a Federation type xenophile empire. Is there any good way to get migration treaties to work now that they have to be non-directional? AI empires seem to have no real reason to have target worlds for me, so I find myself constrained in that unless they have my same preferences, it's not going to happen. And by the time that does happen, I'm not going to have any free slots for anyone to migrate to. Am I thinking about this wrong or were they incredibly nerfed since they were trade items? How can I make this work?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Migration treaties requiring habitable planets for both species pretty much killed any use they might have unless you've got the same preferences (which is of limited utility) or you've got synths (which is too late).

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Yeah migration treaties are very hard to do now, making a multi-species empire almost impossible to realize. There is hope for improvement in the new patch, if the AI is good at building orbital habitats. Even that will probably happen too late in the game though, given how quickly planets fill up with your own pops (even slow breeders).

Ideally I'd like migration to be able to go one-way like it used to be. It's tough having these planets in your space that you basically HAVE to terraform to get any use out of. I'd like to be able to set up a basic colony with robots and then invite a friendly neighbor to send colonists, even if they don't have any spaces appropriate for my own species.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Literally have no idea what this talk about "migration treaties don't work" or "multi-species empires can't happen" is. I have never had any trouble with this?

eta: For reference, this is what the demographics of my empires in the last two long games I played looked like by the end:

In fairness, some of this is from conquest, but not nearly enough of it. I had lots of migration treaties in both games.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 8, 2017

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Yeah, me neither. :iiam:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

It's actually kind of annoying when I colonize a new planet and have a bunch of migration treaties. Not long after, about a dozen migrants from half a dozen different species will show up and suddenly the planet is starving.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Do Synthetics transfer with migration treaties?

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Do Synthetics transfer with migration treaties?

If they have full rights, yup.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Its pretty neat. I had a dedicated Synth world (which amusingly enough was earth-like, as my plant people were more into cold worlds) that kept exporting people to new colonies.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

GunnerJ posted:

It's actually kind of annoying when I colonize a new planet and have a bunch of migration treaties. Not long after, about a dozen migrants from half a dozen different species will show up and suddenly the planet is starving.

Oh god, this. Hopefully this won't be a problem after they change how food works.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Crazycryodude posted:

Migration treaties requiring habitable planets for both species pretty much killed any use they might have unless you've got the same preferences (which is of limited utility) or you've got synths (which is too late).

...or you have a +habitability trait. If you're Extremely Adaptable, it's a lot easier to get the migration treaties.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

GunnerJ posted:

Literally have no idea what this talk about "migration treaties don't work" or "multi-species empires can't happen" is. I have never had any trouble with this?

It's only hard as a pacifist and someone without an adaptable thing.

Once you get two or three species in your empire the ball starts rolling and it gets easier (assuming you have met enough neighbours willing to work with you)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GunnerJ posted:

There's potentially fun stuff that you can nearly do but can't because it has to be reciprocal. In theory you can do stuff like building a frontier hospital on a +hab modifier ocean planet so it just pips over the edge for frost dude habitability or building droid colonies with "Welcome to Arctica!" flyers, but half of the gimmick is out of your hands. The odds of some handy frost dudes also ending up with something you can inhabit in the time window between one of these gimmicks being viable and being able to just colonize the arctic planets yourself is small enough that it's not really worth trying.

So it works in that midgame you can press a button and go multicultural, but there's a whole other layer of potential shenanigans we could be engaging with that the reciprocal requirement gets in the way of. Which is a shame.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 8, 2017

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
It'd be nice (I assume this isn't a thing as I've not been in a federation in 1.4) if federation shenanigans lets you colonize worlds with other races to bypass the initial "I have no one who likes this world" step.

Sure, robots are a thing, but then you might get tapped on the shoulder by grandpa and be told to knock it off. :smith:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

It would be nice if there was some way to keep colonists on new planets. So even if I colonize a lovely 20% habitability planet with my main species they'll stick around until I gene mod them. Call it colonial spirit or something. In fact, just disallow migration offworld while it still has the disassembled colony ship, that'll fix it.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Demiurge4 posted:

It would be nice if there was some way to keep colonists on new planets. So even if I colonize a lovely 20% habitability planet with my main species they'll stick around until I gene mod them. Call it colonial spirit or something. In fact, just disallow migration offworld while it still has the disassembled colony ship, that'll fix it.

Would spending influence on... whatever its called, help? Or is it only attraction?

Also I guess you could mod someone on a world halfway between and accept that they are going to be miserable until you "ship" them off to the new world (and mod the original citizen back to enjoying their home again?)

E: Or just let the miserable citizen migrate to the new colony. :shrug:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 8, 2017

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Demiurge4 posted:

Turn off free migration or enslave them? You're exporting people to barely-livable hellholes for forced genetic engineering- you can't expect to do that in a perfectly free society.
Either that, or wait for all your more livable planets to be full so they have no choice.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
I got a question,

Is it possible in your civilian ship folder, to place Science ships first and then construction ships?

it is something that really annoys me, searching for my science ships when i got 15+ civilian ships..

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Being able to sort or drag things in the outliner would be loving incredible and I'm glad someone brought it up because I think about it every time I play and forget immediately after stopping.

Also being able to give commands to every planet in need a sector, so I can designate a build order for ship construction and that every shipyard in the sector tries to execute.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 8, 2017

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So do other species always think that collectivists are space dicks (like they do for xenophobes), or is it only races who prefer democracies that have beef with them? I've been making my species have the charismatic trait to smooth out some rough edges, but I was trying to build a race of spiritual/collectivist/pacifists the other night and it felt like it was getting a lot of sass from my neighbors.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

So is there a button to upgrade all your military stations?

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

Kitchner posted:

To form the Federation you need to be in a coalition with at least 2 other empires and at least one of them must be the vulcans, Tellarites, or Andorians. You also need to not be fighting anyone.

I usually get as many of those three into the coalition as possible, Unite, and then join the inevitable Benzinite/Bodian coalition and begin absorbing them.

Also the fact Bajorans frequently has its own empire instead of being subjugated by the Cardassians annoys the poo poo out of me.

Oh no I formed the Federation just fine. It was the Xindi chain that seemed to break. I had both projects competed but the timer warning me about there being timed projects was still up even though nether even event counted down.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

GunnerJ posted:

This would be a godsend. I spent thousands of minerals building a network around my empire and realized I hosed up the design. Had to go hunt them all down. Would love an upgrade all button and have them just take the minerals as they become available.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

So do other species always think that collectivists are space dicks (like they do for xenophobes), or is it only races who prefer democracies that have beef with them? I've been making my species have the charismatic trait to smooth out some rough edges, but I was trying to build a race of spiritual/collectivist/pacifists the other night and it felt like it was getting a lot of sass from my neighbors.

Most non-Collectivists are going to hate Collectivists out of the box:

Individualists and non-Decadent Xenophiles have negative opinion modifiers for Empires with Slavery Allowed or Xeno Slavery.

Individualists and Xenophiles have negative opinion modifiers for Empires with Purging Allowed or Xeno Purging.

Empires with Universal Suffrage have negative opinion modifiers for Empires without Universal Suffrage.

Materialists don't like Spiritualists.

Individualists don't like Collectivists.

Militarists don't like Pacifists.

Add it up and consider the default Collectivist policies and you're going to have some serious negatives against Individualist or Xenophile empires, with an Individualist / Materialist / Militarist Empire probably hating you the most out of the box.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I hosed up that Xindi probe with the help of my excellent bro Shran, then we made the Federation, then I restarted as the Cardassians because I got annoyed with not actually getting everyone's homeworlds and stuff.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

GunnerJ posted:

That would be an improvement, but Stellaris could REALLY benefit from a HoI style upgrade system, where you devote a portion of your mineral income to upgrades that just happen in the background, with priority markers for important stations/fleets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

ulmont posted:

Most non-Collectivists are going to hate Collectivists out of the box:

Individualists and non-Decadent Xenophiles have negative opinion modifiers for Empires with Slavery Allowed or Xeno Slavery.

Individualists and Xenophiles have negative opinion modifiers for Empires with Purging Allowed or Xeno Purging.

Empires with Universal Suffrage have negative opinion modifiers for Empires without Universal Suffrage.

Materialists don't like Spiritualists.

Individualists don't like Collectivists.

Militarists don't like Pacifists.

Add it up and consider the default Collectivist policies and you're going to have some serious negatives against Individualist or Xenophile empires, with an Individualist / Materialist / Militarist Empire probably hating you the most out of the box.

Thank you for your post, that helps a lot!

Also it is interesting that you bring up "decadent xenophiles" -- I never thought of being a useable combination! I guess a real-life analog to that would be a multicultural slave owning Roman Republic/Empire? It is an interesting thought for a playthrough...

• Locked thread