Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Also, don't be fooled by the cosplay or whatever element - that just shows that everyone is getting their bearings, transitioning from members of a consumer culture, to members of politically motivated culture.

As more and more of these things happen, your going to see a shift in dress, behavior and organization, as the acts of violence and aggression become normalized to them, psychologically (think - the way criminals get normalized to committing crimes).

'Stick-man' is clearly an early icon, so my guess is he's going to form the basis of a kind of uniform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
In perspective - the violence seen today was on par with England/Russian hooligan brawls at Europe 2016.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

What was Europe 2016? Some kind of soccer thing?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Montasque posted:

In perspective - the violence seen today was on par with England/Russian hooligan brawls at Europe 2016.
Yeah (actually England/Russia was probably worse) and remember it's about posturing and symbolism. Proud Boys get to beat their chests and mark their territory, then go home, and business goes back to usual. But Antifa still got defeated because it lost the battle on its own terms. So if you can't secure victories on those terms, you've got to change the strategy.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Grand Prize Winner posted:

What was Europe 2016? Some kind of soccer thing?

Yeah, UEFA, Euro 2016.

Everyone was partying down except for Russian and English ultras who were too busy smashing lawn chairs over each others heads.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.
Efb.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

SpaceGoku posted:

a girl got punched in the face and then some fatguy in an oversized sweatshirt said they were going to lay siege to seattle
Yeah, and they got away with it. What message does that send? Do you think these guys going to just disappear into thin air?

They'll be another confrontation, and there going to be more of them, because they'll have been emboldened.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

rudatron posted:

Also, don't be fooled by the cosplay or whatever element - that just shows that everyone is getting their bearings, transitioning from members of a consumer culture, to members of politically motivated culture.

As more and more of these things happen, your going to see a shift in dress, behavior and organization, as the acts of violence and aggression become normalized to them, psychologically (think - the way criminals get normalized to committing crimes).

'Stick-man' is clearly an early icon, so my guess is he's going to form the basis of a kind of uniform.

America is turning into Liberia circa 1999. Makes sense.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I was reading a book about the Liberian Civil War and it was pretty interesting. Contrary to popular/Western perception, the armed factions had a coherent battle doctrine, and the battles were like large shoving matches. It was (a) move toward enemy (b) let loose with everything you got (c) enemy runs away. Of course the enemy would eventually counter-attack the same way and push them back.

But people here would watch and laugh at these guys running around in the open going BLAM BLAM BLAM in the general direction of the enemy. But the nature of the fighting meant that it was rare for an entire unit to just get annihilated in the open, and casualties were not as high as you'd think. The U.S. military was actually defeated by an army using similar tactics in Somalia a few years prior.

So what does this have to do with Antifa, you might say? Actually, nothing I just thought it was worth sharing

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

rudatron posted:

Yeah, and they got away with it. What message does that send? Do you think these guys going to just disappear into thin air?

They'll be another confrontation, and there going to be more of them, because they'll have been emboldened.

Yeah, as much as this was literally two batches of weirdos going at it, this is now a violent agitating cause that people will get involved in. If Anti-fa thinks these sort of things are serious, then they need to start organizing so that they can be a counter-force to this.
If you don't think this is serious, then okay. I get it, it's a bunch of weird dudes who don't masturbate and dress up in costumes. But... you know... it's not like you gotta be serious and buttoned up to cause real issues and create ugly circumstances.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 30 days!)

Why aren't all these people committed to unarguably illlegal political action more organized?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

rudatron posted:

They'll find something else, they'll keep looking for fights, until they a) lose, big, in a direct confrontation. b) achieve their goals (lots of death + genocide and poo poo).
I see them going around picking fights, but not sure they're unified on goals. There are neo-Nazis and the like, but there's a lot of internal disunion. What unites them is making liberals cry / hatred of Antifa, etc.

So why not deny them the opportunity? Or they may end up attacking peaceful protesters next. But I think that would backfire as the Antifa attempts to shut down Milo, etc. backfired.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Why aren't all these people committed to unarguably illlegal political action more organized?

Yeah, I know. I also don't think it's a huge important thing because actual political agitation and taking offices are more important, and I'm not exactly sure how dangerous these guys will be. They've got incredibly dangerous elements as parts of them, but all told... I just don't know.

But yo, these internet nazis are gonna keep planning these events. If you think they need to get shut down, then... well... leaving it up to whoever shows up isn't gonna do it.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

https://www.reddit.com/r/Anarchism/comments/65m67k/the_troubling_implications_of_the_conflict_in/

E: Reddit anarchists now want combat training and a leader.

Montasque has issued a correction as of 02:40 on Apr 16, 2017

coathat
May 21, 2007

It sucks that Gavin McGinnis is now the mayor of Berkeley

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

coathat posted:

It sucks that Gavin McGinnis is now the mayor of Berkeley

canadians are allowed to be mayors after rob ford? sad.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Wikkheiser posted:

I see them going around picking fights, but not sure they're unified on goals. There are neo-Nazis and the like, but there's a lot of internal disunion. What unites them is making liberals cry / hatred of Antifa, etc.

So why not deny them the opportunity? Or they may end up attacking peaceful protesters next. But I think that would backfire as the Antifa attempts to shut down Milo, etc. backfired.
'Making liberals cry' is a goal that, by itself, is going to provide them with opportunities for a while.

But I don't see a lack of a clearly defined goal as necessarily being a negative. Fascists don't have a clear goal of what they want, ever. They're not motivated by making the world a better place (like real revolutionaries). They're motivated by fear, prejudice and resentment. Anything that can provide that, that feeds into that, will work 'good enough'.

So while I expect to see a power struggle in the leadership, one will eventually come out on top, and most of the base will follow like sheep.

rudatron has issued a correction as of 02:57 on Apr 16, 2017

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
lol when did this thread turn into D&D

a bunch of fat internet nazis in cosplay flew across the country to march around and declared victory because only some of them got beat up and not all of them (the media too, because publications love writing human interest puff pieces on the nazi grognard "lifestyle"). oh noo i'm so scared that a 4 foot manlet in a pepe mask is going to fly to my city and livestream himself saying "u mad libs???" at me. their big hero is a aging fat man with a hockey stick who got decked in the face with a skateboard who unironically calls himself "the based stick man"

the alt right is a malformed, stillborn ideology that is currently self-destructing because all of its figureheads are off-putting conmen who all hate each other, their golden fuhrer president sold out and became a garden variety neo-con, and any attempts to turn the movement into an irl mainstream thing fail because the alt-right consists of nerdy shut-ins with no social skills who would rather be trolling people on social media than training to become an efficient fascist paramilitary force. sad!

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Wikkheiser posted:

Also, not showing up is losing.

Remember what I said about symbolic victories: its about giving the illusion of strength. If you can do whatever you want, and not get constrained, that immediately fits that impression.

So if antifa didn't show up, that only makes fascists look more intimidating, and it's that image that fascists want more than anything.

They'll find targets, there's no shortage of what they could try.

rudatron has issued a correction as of 02:59 on Apr 16, 2017

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
thanks Eeyore.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

The Ukrainian and Spanish black armies, Kronstadt rebellion, and the Zapatistas all have/had some form of organizational structure, leadership (albeit distributed), and training.

Also: Antifa exists to present a credible defense against right wing violence against minorities, immigrants etc. Street brawls, win or lose, are preferable to some modern live-streamed Kristallnacht

Grimoire has issued a correction as of 03:06 on Apr 16, 2017

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

We (ANTIFA) as a unit were so uncoordinated. We got choked off and split in two in the streets. We tried making a push back but no one was willing to fight INCLUDING ME which will be explained in a little bit. We had no strategy, no coordination and no communication. Everyone was in a sense on their own out there even though we were all together. I had to take my leave when I got pepper sprayed in the face and smoked out. I was holding the big black banner that some people have come to see and it seemed like no one was willing to stand with me and my 3 other comades who were holding the banner. Everyone was off doing there own thing which was VERY anti productive. That being said we got a couple good shots in. Some alt-right scum tried to rush us but we quickly retaliated and ganged up on them. However when we went into the streets, that's where it started going downhill. We almost got pushed up against the wall. Our efforts to form a true black bloc were almost non existant and the out right agression from the fascists prevented us from getting anything meaningful done.
Willingness to fight seems like a big gap. The right was way more aggressive. Usually the more aggressive/willing side wins.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4ftMf35LTw

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003
But really, it is only a matter of time before the Alex Jones set decide to hold a "defense against (((GLOBALISTS)))" rally in an Orthodox Jewish neighborhood - with rather predictable results if unopposed

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Proud Boys treating this Anarchist flag like they captured an Imperial Eagle.

E: Another image of the man in the photo holding the flag...

Yes, that's a DEUS VULT tat on his chest.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
that man.... games.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Baloogan posted:

that man.... games.

So do these kids.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Wikkheiser posted:

Willingness to fight seems like a big gap. The right was way more aggressive. Usually the more aggressive/willing side wins.
Yeah, i saw that post too. Antifa is useless trash.

They're not psychologically ready to provide real resistance. All the pretense of being radical/extreme is literally just bluffing. They're not acclimatized to violence, they're not psychological prepared to actually follow through on threats they make.

Not a bad thing itself, people by default don't like hurting others, but it's a liability for political action.

They need to start conditioning themselves to violence, if they want anything done.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Montasque posted:

Proud Boys treating this Anarchist flag like they captured an Imperial Eagle.

E: Another image of the man in the photo holding the flag...

Yes, that's a DEUS VULT tat on his chest.

These people think this was the highlight of their lives don't they?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Didn't know you were at Berkley!
:smugdon:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

rudatron posted:

Yeah, i saw that post too. Antifa is useless trash.

They're not psychologically ready to provide real resistance. All the pretense of being radical/extreme is literally just bluffing. They're not acclimatized to violence, they're not psychological prepared to actually follow through on threats they make.

Not a bad thing itself, people by default don't like hurting others, but it's a liability for political action.

They need to start conditioning themselves to violence, if they want anything done.

who exactly are you cheerleading friend?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Lawman 0 posted:

Yep.

These people so desperately want to be heroes, and this has given them a chance.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Lawman 0 posted:

These will be the greatest moments of their lives.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

PPG nooo

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Look at all these future senators

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

sneakyfrog posted:

who exactly are you cheerleading friend?
I'm angry that antifa failed, fearful that it's emboldened nazis, and depressed about what it means for the future.

I think down playing it is a mistake. Real short comings have been exposed, and I think its shown that left-resistance against the hard-right is never going to be spear headed by anarchists, nor are they going to provide anything but a token ally. If they can't win a basic street brawl, they can't face off against a real threat.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Grimoire posted:

But really, it is only a matter of time before the Alex Jones set decide to hold a "defense against (((GLOBALISTS)))" rally in an Orthodox Jewish neighborhood - with rather predictable results if unopposed
I think Orthodox Jews would gently caress people up though

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

logikv9 posted:

Look at all these future senators

Eeeeeeeeeeh I donno. The KKK was organized in a very regional matter where everyone in it knew everyone else in it. While these movements might mutate into that, this is a meetup of the politically and socially marginalized rather than a power bloc of the connected to the connected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

rudatron posted:

I'm angry that antifa failed, fearful that it's emboldened nazis, and depressed about what it means for the future.

I think down playing it is a mistake. Real short comings have been exposed, and I think its shown that left-resistance against the hard-right is never going to be spear headed by anarchists, nor are they going to provide anything but a token ally. If they can't win a basic street brawl, they can't face off against a real threat.

its not failed man.

We cant all go physically fight nazis at no notice,

im :corsair: but gently caress if i will let that poo poo happen around me.

just got to do your part friend, dont lose heart.