Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Well, Castlevania is coming to DBD.

I think that was also already known? Still cool, assuming the killer is actually Dracula instead of like ... "The Slime".

It was leaked at the same time as the D&D crossover. Definitely cooler than this, mostly because Dracula is objectively hype and I've already talked enough about my weird dislike of Vecna being here as a D&D fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Lurks With Wolves posted:

It was leaked at the same time as the D&D crossover. Definitely cooler than this, mostly because Dracula is objectively hype and I've already talked enough about my weird dislike of Vecna being here as a D&D fan.

Also I hope they really lean into the hamminess and Dracula has all the good "What is a man? A miserable pile of secrets" voicelines. Day 1 buy for sure if they do.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Strahd was likely off the table because Dracula was teased for August so that’s back-to-back vampire killers (or back-to-back-to-back if we get the song, Vampire Killer :v:)

Also vampire isn’t exactly what people immediately snap to for D&D horror. They think Liches like Acererak or Mindflayers.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Well, Castlevania is coming to DBD.

I think that was also already known? Still cool, assuming the killer is actually Dracula instead of like ... "The Slime".

Yeah it's been on the leak channels for like a year now. I was hoping when they said "Epic soundtrack" the teaser would have Bloody Tears playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQc92nHJtWU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Also I hope they really lean into the hamminess and Dracula has all the good "What is a man? A miserable pile of secrets" voicelines. Day 1 buy for sure if they do.

Hopefully his power is throwing a goblet.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Medullah posted:

Yeah it's been on the leak channels for like a year now. I was hoping when they said "Epic soundtrack" the teaser would have Bloody Tears playing.

Oh you mean Barkerville.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opUEPA-GRCY

(and yeah, Bloody Tears is the definite Castlevania song for me!)

Medullah posted:

Hopefully his power is throwing a goblet.

Yeah!

I'm trying hard not to let myself get too hyped because there's still every chance they'll pull the old "you thought the killer was gonna be Dracula? Actually it's the Giant Bat from Castlevania 1" trick.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Give me Dracula from SOTN, complete with pixel graphics.

3x BPs for those playing these days, goes for a week.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/DeadbyDaylight/status/1790406135209492927
I'm just laughing at his Thanos-lookin' rear end in this

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
When does the anniversary event start and how long does it last? I'm about to leave for a trip...

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://clips.twitch.tv/AuspiciousFantasticVultureSpicyBoy--V-p7qhXzrjy307L

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

If I am ever held hostage by a group of terrorists I am going to send away the FBI and ask them to go get the DBD license acquisition team to save me.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Haven't played in a while, new DLC is firmly in "Not my thing but I hope it makes people happy" territory, but I've been hearing some chatter about removing Mori offerings and bringing in the last survivor Mori system people have always been rallying against? It's BHVR so I'm not super surprised but that blows

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Danaru posted:

Haven't played in a while, new DLC is firmly in "Not my thing but I hope it makes people happy" territory, but I've been hearing some chatter about removing Mori offerings and bringing in the last survivor Mori system people have always been rallying against? It's BHVR so I'm not super surprised but that blows

Yeah they announced it's coming this summer. I don't have a huge problem with it by itself, it was largely a nightmare because it was originally paired with basekit Unbreakable.

Will be interesting to see how it pairs with things like Rancor or Devour Hope.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Danaru posted:

The original one that was firmly rejected was auto-mori on everyone when all four survivors were dead or bleeding out, if memory serves. This one is just basekit yellow mori and the offerings just increase bloodpoints for doing it. Much more reserved. I'm honestly fine with it since there's not really a lot you can do to be a complete dick with it and it just makes it so you don't have to carry the last survivor to a hook to finish out the game.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

If nothing else it would stop those wieners who end up as the last survivor and crawl to the furthest corner they can away from any hooks

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

DeathChicken posted:

If nothing else it would stop those wieners who end up as the last survivor and crawl to the furthest corner they can away from any hooks

Yyyyyep. I hated having to bleed them out but when you go to a dead zone and make it impossible, then what do you think is going to happen.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Oh I thought it was the mandatory one, that's not too bad, info was sparse on twitter so I figured I'd ask here

2 v 8 is going to be wild, genuinely excited for that

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Danaru posted:

Oh I thought it was the mandatory one, that's not too bad, info was sparse on twitter so I figured I'd ask here

2v8 is going to be amazing, i can't wait

new borgo looks so much better it's not even funny

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Oh man I forgot about the Borgo change, it's going to be incredible actually being able to see scratches now :v:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Danaru posted:

It's still going to be automatic, just when there's only one survivor left instead of all survivors down.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Medullah posted:

It's still going to be automatic, just when there's only one survivor left instead of all survivors down.

I thought it was optional? It didn't sound automatic from the way they were talking on the dev stream.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Relyssa posted:

I thought it was optional? It didn't sound automatic from the way they were talking on the dev stream.

They called it finishing Mori which is what it was called before.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Medullah posted:

They called it finishing Mori which is what it was called before.

They also said it got reworked a lot since then and they're still putting the finishing touches on it. I'm not ready to just assume it will work like the previous iteration did.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
After buying the D&D module for DbD, you can pay $10 more to unlock the special skin that looks just like the normal Vecna, minus one hand and one eye.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Nah. Vecna is now the Stranger Things D&D thing.

E: Like you're doing horror D&D, and you don't pick Ravenloft? You pick loving FAERUN? You didn't pick the coolest anything, you picked the thing people know from the insanely popular TV show.

Lol you do know that Venca isn't from Faerun (i.e. he is from Oerth i.e. the Grayhawk setting) and was a Darklord in Ravenloft for quite a while before breaking the multiverse and becoming a god?

A lot of people watching Stranger things and then complaining about the LORE not understanding that Venca was there from the beginning.

To tell you the truth there are very few things that is 100% D&D and Venca was created way back in the 80's with the first edition and I cannot think of anyone more important to D&D's overarching lore.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Let me play as the Tomb Of Annihilation you cowards.

(Serious answer? Strahd.)

E:

lol this event sounds hellish for killers. Sure, stealth and haste for everyone!

Strahd would be a good second choice but he is really limited to the Ravenloft setting.

Venca was such a reality breaking, arch-lich that tore D&D such a huge one that he made himself a god while effecting nearly every plane and realm (his attending to Godhood was the reason in game the change from 2nd edition ruleset to 3rd edition)

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

it's spelled vecna

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The vencabus is coming

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Danaru posted:

The vencabus is coming

mods please

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

Relyssa posted:

it's spelled vecna

the biggest foe is autocorrect

Col. Roy Campbell
Dec 19, 2008

As someone who loves D&D and likes Vecna well enough (2nd best lich from Greyhawk tbh) but who burned out hard on this game around a year ago; how's the game today? Last ever game I played was a pig who downed and camped me until I bled out (the killer was a streamer who was counting ragequits). Has it gotten better? I was mostly a killer main so how's that side of the equation currently?

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
Your enjoyment as Killer depends on your in game goals, your average level of chill, and your tolerance for shenanigans.

For example, if you're willing to occasionally let Survivors escape and to play dumb builds because they're fun for you, you will 'lose' more often, your hidden in game rank will drop, and you'll be placed with Survivors of a similar rank. On average, this will result is games that are a lot more chill. You'll still run across Survivor sweat squads, but the frequency of those encounters will be lower.

If you try your hardest to get maximum kills in every match, your hidden in game rank will go up, and you'll be placed with Survivor teams that are far more skilled. This is good if you're looking for a challenge every match, but it might be bad if you don't feel like playing tense matches every session.

All that aside, there are lots of chill and fun Survivors out there, but there are quite a few rear end in a top hat Survivors as well. As a Killer, I believe your ability to enjoy the game in its current state depends heavily on you letting lovely Survivor behavior roll off your back, laughing at dumb things you and the Survivors do, and laughing at salty/lovely Survivor behavior. If you tend to take that stuff personally you'll have a bad time of it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Lonjon posted:

Your enjoyment as Killer depends on your in game goals, your average level of chill, and your tolerance for shenanigans.

For example, if you're willing to occasionally let Survivors escape and to play dumb builds because they're fun for you, you will 'lose' more often, your hidden in game rank will drop, and you'll be placed with Survivors of a similar rank. On average, this will result is games that are a lot more chill. You'll still run across Survivor sweat squads, but the frequency of those encounters will be lower.

If you try your hardest to get maximum kills in every match, your hidden in game rank will go up, and you'll be placed with Survivor teams that are far more skilled. This is good if you're looking for a challenge every match, but it might be bad if you don't feel like playing tense matches every session.

All that aside, there are lots of chill and fun Survivors out there, but there are quite a few rear end in a top hat Survivors as well. As a Killer, I believe your ability to enjoy the game in its current state depends heavily on you letting lovely Survivor behavior roll off your back, laughing at dumb things you and the Survivors do, and laughing at salty/lovely Survivor behavior. If you tend to take that stuff personally you'll have a bad time of it.

Yeah this is the foundation of SBMM systems and one that gets constantly ignored. Sweat is matched with sweat, that's just how it works. Having a relaxing and fun time with any SBMM based game means losing a *lot*, but playing because you enjoy playing the game.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I've always found DBD's SBMM wonky as hell, I almost never get a reasonable match I either triple hook them all with four gens left, or the loving Ginyu Force lands and I never manage to land a hit before they're out the door

Some nights the matchmaking decides I'm king poo poo and no matter how many times my spirit gets broken by failure, it won't stop putting me against sweat squads I'm begging you make this stop

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Only one I want is Tapp's. And even it, eh, not a big fan of the mask look.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

As I understand it the game will take a few minutes to make an effort at Balanced Matchmaking (TM) and if it can't find anyone in that timeframe it'll just throw you in against that group of Seal Team Six survivors who have been waiting for 10 minutes to bully someone

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DeathChicken posted:

As I understand it the game will take a few minutes to make an effort at Balanced Matchmaking (TM) and if it can't find anyone in that timeframe it'll just throw you in against that group of Seal Team Six survivors who have been waiting for 10 minutes to bully someone

Plus it prioritizes backfilling existing groups, so if you've got that 4 top of p100 SWFs that I just dodged they'll grab a killer quickly even if they're lower MMR, and the more people that dodge the lobby the wider a net they'll cast.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

Relyssa posted:

it's spelled vecna

vecna deez nutz

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

DeathChicken posted:

If you're playing survivor it will also give you teammates who just installed the game on their switch and didn't complete the tutorial and don't know what generators do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

D&D also has a Vecna-centered campaign book coming out for the 50th anniversary, so just more cross-promotion.