Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

zoux posted:

Ok having finished it I wouldn’t necessarily be opposed to a well written, high quality historical drama based on the continuing adventures of the Tokugawa Shogunate, I mean the history is already written.

Just me or does Cosmo Jarvis have serious Tom Hardy energy
When I started watching I had to look up who it was because I thought it was Tom Hardy but his voice was too gravely. When I read his name is Cosmo Jarvis I just decided, nah, it's Tom Hardy under an alias.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Stegosnaurlax posted:

Beacon 23 this week, the young actress has an accent that smash cuts between Manchester and Toronto constantly.

Yeah, the impression was fine except for the accent work which was horrrrrrrible

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Hot on the heels of the Hulu, Disney+, MAX bundle.

https://variety.com/2024/biz/news/peacock-netflix-apple-tv-plus-bundle-streaming-comcast-1236002375/

Peacock, Apple TV+, and Netflix are going to have a bundle. This one is only available to Comcast customers.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I pay almost $15/mo for netflix as it is. If their bundle is $20, I'd pay.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They're doing a live action Spider-man Noir with Cage on Amazon prime. Why you wouldn't do an animated series is beyond me.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Amazon's renewed Mr And Mrs Smith for a second season, and The Boys for a fifth season.

Netflix renewed Heartbreak High for a third and final season.

zoux posted:

They're doing a live action Spider-man Noir with Cage on Amazon prime. Why you wouldn't do an animated series is beyond me.

lol what a boondoggle

mystes
May 31, 2006

zoux posted:

that sounds like an incredibly awful idea

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

And the Rings of Power season 2 trailer

https://twitter.com/TheRingsofPower/status/1790374328649048517

shrug

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

zoux posted:

Amazon loves lighting that paper

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm going to guess that they didn't want to draw direct comparisons between animation styles and animation quality with the Spiderverse films. I also wonder if the audience age is going to be the same.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
If given the option I will always pick live action over animation, partly because animation is always hit and miss regarding whether I hate the style or not.
Though a live action Spider-Man Noir series with Nic Cage doesn’t excite me terribly.

Also, I am probably the only one who is happy about Rings of Power being back, I thought the first season was good and the complaints I saw was mostly the usual chud stuff.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm excited about both and will watch both. Woop

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

very curious about a second season of Mr. and Mrs. Smith

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Mr. And Mrs. Smith feels very much like a show (rather than an eight part movie) so tbh I kind of just expect more of the same, except probably more intense. Looking forward to it a lot though.

Oasx posted:

Also, I am probably the only one who is happy about Rings of Power being back, I thought the first season was good and the complaints I saw was mostly the usual chud stuff.

tbh I thought it was mostly a bunch of disconnected subplots rather than a story, and I didn't particularly like the characters or think the storytelling was that crash hot. Not bad, but not very well constructed just on a script level.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Variety says that Donald Glover and Maya Erskine are not expected to return, which makes a second season feel a bit pointless.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Lol for real? That's a complete hard pass. I wasn't pulled in by their quirky spy world or whatever, I was pulled in by those two specific people and their characters.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Every other outlet updated their articles to say there was no confirmation on casting yet

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Khanstant posted:

Lol for real? That's a complete hard pass. I wasn't pulled in by their quirky spy world or whatever, I was pulled in by those two specific people and their characters.

I dunno, I would watch a second season with Wagner Moura and Parker Posey.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Khanstant posted:

Hopefully it just means they haven't gotten it all locked in yet. They left too open-ended with those characters to just change the cast and have it work.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

tbh I thought it was mostly a bunch of disconnected subplots rather than a story, and I didn't particularly like the characters or think the storytelling was that crash hot. Not bad, but not very well constructed just on a script level.

Yeah, I don't care about the "woke casting" or whatever, but it just felt like a very tedious and disconnected "story" where most of the people either had bad actors and/or underbaked characterization. I say this as someone who loves all of the background Tolkien legendarium worldbuilding so this really should make me the target audience.

I think it really suffers from a combination of two things, 1) trying to be as close to the Jackson movies as it can despite not being able to legally use anything, so it comes across as a pale imitation rather than trying to be its own thing, and 2) being maybe the clearest case of the tendency of studios to hire super-green creatives who can't say no to every little studio note, as opposed to actually hiring people with experience and talent to helm big projects.

That being said, I'll probably still watch season 2.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They have serious headwinds they are working against: scattershot rights to various things and characters and a lack of fan favorite characters from the movies in this part of the story and the fact that there are better parts of the legendarium that they can't touch.

I mean you got yung Galadriel, Elrond, and the guy who may or may not be Gandalf (god I hope not) and that's it. Oh and I guess Jimmy the Balrog.

I cannot believe how little of a deal they made out of the actual forging of the rings of power, like that's a season long arc not a "Oh did you, the greatest elven smith of our age, know about alloying metals". I'd say it's C-grade show, I'd like it to be better but we'll see. Also I don't care for hobbits :colbert:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

zoux posted:

and the guy who may or may not be Gandalf (god I hope not)

I know it wasn't 100% confirmed, but I think it was extremely implied. So much so that if he now turns out to not be Gandalf, I'm gonna consider it a reversal after negative reception. What I'm saying is get ready to be disappointed.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
That they're hedging their bets on basic character identities means they're playing cards, they're not telling a story.

It was basically a season long will-they-won't-they plotline, except instead of two young regulars doing attempting to generate compelling sexual tension we're instead got the audience and some dank ~*lore having their heads shoved together while some executive in the background occasionally slurs "kiss! kiss!"

Just tell a story, goddamn.

Chairman Capone posted:

Yeah, I don't care about the "woke casting" or whatever, but it just felt like a very tedious and disconnected "story" where most of the people either had bad actors and/or underbaked characterization. I say this as someone who loves all of the background Tolkien legendarium worldbuilding so this really should make me the target audience.

I think it really suffers from a combination of two things, 1) trying to be as close to the Jackson movies as it can despite not being able to legally use anything, so it comes across as a pale imitation rather than trying to be its own thing, and 2) being maybe the clearest case of the tendency of studios to hire super-green creatives who can't say no to every little studio note, as opposed to actually hiring people with experience and talent to helm big projects.

That being said, I'll probably still watch season 2.

I think this is my big concern. It's hard to argue that the first season wasn't exactly what wasn't, by-and-large, an intentional creation. It has all the hallmarks of contemporary trends in design-by-committee storytelling. It also wasn't very good. I don't believe the series has the checks and balances in place to actually create a good narrative.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And as I've said regarding #2, the issue with those green creatives wasn't that they were too unfamiliar with the source material or too disconnected from the legendarium or not nerdy enough, but that they were too nerdy. They know every last little bit of lore and metaphysics and all the intricate eschatological questions Tolkien was wrestling with, which is probably why they got the bid from the Tolkien estate over the handpicked seasoned writer types who were vying for the property; but unfortunately as it turns out, being incredibly passionate about the source material doesn't make you a good writer.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

I've realized that what I really want when it comes to LotR shows is a "Tales from Middle Earth" that is just a full season of single episode stories. No connection between the episodes. Just 10 episodes exploring different random people. It would allow them to explore some of the cool and weird without having to make it all connect in a way that makes sense for a season-long story.

Give me a Tom Bombadil episode. Played by Matt Berry

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Mordiceius posted:

Give me a Tom Bombadil episode. Played by Matt Berry

You son of a bitch, I've never wanted Tom Bombadil to actually be in live action until this moment.

"Hey dol! merry dol! ring a dong DILLO!"

And

“Eh, what? Did I hear you calling? Nay, I did not hear: I was busy singing.”

Absolutely perfect casting.

edit: It's so perfect I googled it because I knew this couldn't be a new thought. And yeah, apparently it's a thing.

https://x.com/TheLincoln/status/1567530619717943296

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 14, 2024

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
For real. I have no interest in whatever Rings of Power is, but I'd love to see a bunch of weird Tolkien legendarium anthology stories.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Did anybody else watch Palm Royale on Apple Plus? It just wrapped up last week and I definitely have thoughts. (full season non-plot spoilers below)

I don't know if I've ever seen a show shift its tone so drastically from Episodes 1 to 10. It started off as this wry, tounge-in-cheek look at the maneuverings of a desperate but clever socialite in 1969 Palm Springs, to basically a live action cartoon soap opera by the end. It was never bad enough to stop watching, but the first episode set up a promise that I don't think the show was able to keep. 3-4 episodes later it was getting tropey, and by the end it was almost like a surreal parody begging me not to take it seriously anymore. I dunno, I'm probably not describing it correctly but it was definitely noticeable and I wanted to see if others agreed.

There were definitely some positives though
- Great performances by Kristen Wiig, Allison Janney and Carol Burnett, to name a few
- Cool late 60's period sets and costumes
- Sometimes pretty funny

Overall I probably would recommend it, but with some of the above warnings as a caveat. And I probably will check out S2 if it's renewed, but only as a phone-scroller to start.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

thrawn527 posted:

You son of a bitch, I've never wanted Tom Bombadil to actually be in live action until this moment.

"Hey dol! merry dol! ring a dong DILLO!"

And

“Eh, what? Did I hear you calling? Nay, I did not hear: I was busy singing.”

Absolutely perfect casting.

edit: It's so perfect I googled it because I knew this couldn't be a new thought. And yeah, apparently it's a thing.

https://x.com/TheLincoln/status/1567530619717943296

I'm confused, you say you want Matt Berry to play him but then you post a tweet with Jackie Daytona?

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
That's just how everybody looks in Tucson, Arizonia

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Very pleased there will be a season 2 of Mr. And Mrs. Smith but alarmed at even the possibility Glover and Erskine won't return.

timp posted:

- Great performances by Kristen Wiig, Allison Janney and Carol Burnett

Woah that's a hell of a cast! :stare:

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

timp posted:

Did anybody else watch Palm Royale on Apple Plus? It just wrapped up last week and I definitely have thoughts. (full season non-plot spoilers below)

I don't know if I've ever seen a show shift its tone so drastically from Episodes 1 to 10. It started off as this wry, tounge-in-cheek look at the maneuverings of a desperate but clever socialite in 1969 Palm Springs, to basically a live action cartoon soap opera by the end. It was never bad enough to stop watching, but the first episode set up a promise that I don't think the show was able to keep. 3-4 episodes later it was getting tropey, and by the end it was almost like a surreal parody begging me not to take it seriously anymore. I dunno, I'm probably not describing it correctly but it was definitely noticeable and I wanted to see if others agreed.

There were definitely some positives though
- Great performances by Kristen Wiig, Allison Janney and Carol Burnett, to name a few
- Cool late 60's period sets and costumes
- Sometimes pretty funny

Overall I probably would recommend it, but with some of the above warnings as a caveat. And I probably will check out S2 if it's renewed, but only as a phone-scroller to start.

We haven't made it past episode 1 yet. It never fully grabbed me, so if it never got better than that, I am disappointed... because yeah, even with Ricky Martin, what a cast

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

Actually, it somehow reminded me a lot of Hello Tomorrow! as in a show that never quite summed up to more than its individual parts

(also, a show that ended up being forgettable enough for me to have to google its name again)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's really crazy how shows take so much longer to make than they used to but they also seem so much more like a first draft. Is this a problem like in print media where the suits have decided that copy editors are useless? Is no one editing these scripts to have them make sense or have any of the plots come together? For as much as I dislike Matt and Trey, at least their system of "This happened, and because of that, this happened, and because of that, this happened" creates a plot that makes sense. Most of these shows I'm watching are just "this happens, then this happen, then this happens, then this happens."

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

This is a lot of what the strike was about.

So many shows now only have a full writers room in the pre-production which is often split up to work on different pieces (which then allows them to pay minimum rates since they aren't actually in production).

Most of the season is outlined, then most of the staff has their contact end. The actual scripts are then fleshed out by a much smaller group that are almost never invited to set. Filming is done in a vacuum with no writer input at all.

So, if a scene isn't working when it's actually being filmed, there's no one there that's qualified to fix it. A writer also isn't there to point out things that don't make sense from a character or continuity perspective. They can't chime in during fight choreography with stuff like "We established two episodes ago that this alien species has to be killed by doing this, so just having the protagonist stab them isn't going to do anything, so you need to change that."

Everything gets more sloppy as a result.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

bull3964 posted:

This is a lot of what the strike was about.

So many shows now only have a full writers room in the pre-production which is often split up to work on different pieces (which then allows them to pay minimum rates since they aren't actually in production).

Most of the season is outlined, then most of the staff has their contact end. The actual scripts are then fleshed out by a much smaller group that are almost never invited to set. Filming is done in a vacuum with no writer input at all.

So, if a scene isn't working when it's actually being filmed, there's no one there that's qualified to fix it. A writer also isn't there to point out things that don't make sense from a character or continuity perspective. They can't chime in during fight choreography with stuff like "We established two episodes ago that this alien species has to be killed by doing this, so just having the protagonist stab them isn't going to do anything, so you need to change that."

Everything gets more sloppy as a result.

This makes a lot of sense, and is depressing. I’m thinking of William Goldman’s stories about being on the set of The Princess Bride, and how that’s not possible anymore. And sure, that’s a movie not a TV show, but still.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

This is an interview with an anonymous WGA member that talks about a lot of it.

https://www.indiewire.com/features/general/wga-anonymous-member-mini-rooms-writers-strike-1234825451/

quote:

In many rooms, it’s the same thing. No one ever said we can’t hire for a tiny, tiny little fee. I’m sure somebody found a little loophole. “Ooh! If you’re not in production, you can hire a room and only pay them the Writers Guild minimum. Oh, well then let’s hire them before we’re in production and write as many scripts as we can. And then when they’re in production, we’ll keep that super-duper short and we’ll get rid of them as soon as we can and deny them the opportunity to go to set and do post-production.” It’s all just bean counters taking more and more and more for them and eliminating the possibility for us to do what we always did, which was created when it’s in production with the pay that we deserve.

quote:

I happen to be lucky that I had built my production skills in my two previous jobs. I spent a lot of time being exposed to pre-production, being on set, post-production, going to a spotting session, giving notes on cuts, running the tone meeting, giving notes on wardrobe, all of the ways that the story gets told. We’re writer/producers. We don’t just write a script. We write the story in the way that the clothing tells the story, the locations, all of these things are part of the storytelling, which is why we’re writer/producers. So I was denied that on the Netflix show.

And that's the thing, by keeping the writers off set, they are not only harming the quality of the production, they are denying the next generation of directors and producers valuable experience in what it takes to actually do a production.

All of this was going on while Picard Season 3 was airing and I couldn't help but see the fingerprints of these practices all over it. To be sure, there were a lot of issues with Picard Season 3, but the really sloppy stuff 100% was because of this. You have one scene where they are going hand to hand with the changelings and taking them out with BLADED WEAPONS and generally just hitting them hard, then next scene you have a conversation between Beverly and Picard about causally murdering a prisoner, then the prisoner escapes and they have two directed blasts of phaser fire on the changeling to no effect. So, in the span of 15 minutes you have stabbing killing them, talking of killing one with phasers, only to then show that phasers don't affect them. This all can be attributed to writers not being allowed on set to tell the fight coordinators that "no, you have to shoot them" or the VFX people "they have to miss her when she escapes otherwise how were they going to kill her in the first place?"

Same poo poo with the cloaking device. They dedicate an episode around getting it, but then don't cloak until they are already in full view of the enemy (that somehow misses them), then only go like 100 yards before decloaking again to transport (which isn't even a thing given that the cloaking device they used was the same one in STIV that was beaming people left and right to and from a cloaked ship) far too soon. Nothing about the VFX sequence made logical sense from a plotting perspective and it really just smacks of a VFX crew doing their thing under minimal direction.

Other stuff about the season was just bad because it was poorly concieved, but all of this sloppiness made it even more annoying. It was just amateur hour from a plot hole perspective and that's becoming more and more common as the writers were kept out of post production.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 14, 2024

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

Because this is very much a Sony thing and television rights to animation belong to Marvel.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If Cage signed up then he'll be making some acting choices at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

bull3964 posted:

And that's the thing, by keeping the writers off set, they are not only harming the quality of the production, they are denying the next generation of directors and producers valuable experience in what it takes to actually do a production.

This reminds me of lost skills and tools and arts that fell out of fashion or weren't profitable enough anymore and got left behind. It's wild and scary how many things in the world are only still made but one person, often struggling to find an apprentice to take over once they're gone.

If you wanted to do traditional cel painting, there was only one guy left with the stuff and knowledge and will to produce a certain type of paint that was super common and desired back when Disney and everybody was still making animation that way. Guy got too sick and for a while the stuff only existed if you buy old used bottles folks had around and not very many colour options at that. I think he managed to find some place willing to take up the torch and they have a limited line of colours now at least.

Haven't had any luck finding working mimeograph machines and associated classic purple ink.

What's different with TV/film is they are still very much in demand and actively produced, even profitable -- but it's capital organization causing the rot and loss of knowledge. Got plenty of people who are eager to learn and master the craft and teachers to share their knowledge but hardly anyone willing to pay for it as they want bigger returns from anything they invest money in than most shows could provide immediately, which greatly limits what is able to be made and why.