Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Reene posted:

Smitty doesn't have "luck" powers, he has order powers. He makes order from chaos. And even if the dagger is still stuck, I'd still expect to see some blood leaking out around the dagger by now. Getting stabbed there generally means a lot of bleeding.

The wound doesn't leak, because that would stain his shirt, which would be quite disorderly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Split the difference, the wound isn't leaking because all the blood that wanted to leak out formed a protective clot around the entrance wound. What happens to the clot after the blade is removed poses it's own problems but Smitty's got this.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Demiurge4 posted:

Jeanne dropping her sword matters, it's a part of her, hostilities have ceased.

She dropped her sword twice on this page alone.

So how exactly did elf man get that clip? He already held it in his hand when Kat freed him. But he wasn't really in a condition to pick it up before that point.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 6, 2017

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think the difference here is that jeanne wasn't made to drop her sword by force

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Tollymain posted:

i think the difference here is that jeanne wasn't made to drop her sword by force

It was actually the most powerful force of them all. Necromancy.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

my friend's been stabbed in the heart by a ghost :wth: oh you found my hairclip thank you elf skeleton :shobon:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

He's held on to that thing for three years. I wonder why it specifically. Surely other stuff must wash into the river from time to time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Flavahbeast posted:

my friend's been stabbed in the heart by a ghost :wth: oh you found my hairclip thank you elf skeleton :shobon:

You have to be polite to dead people who are courteous to you.

Tenebrais posted:

He's held on to that thing for three years. I wonder why it specifically. Surely other stuff must wash into the river from time to time.

Maybe he feels bad that his girlfriend gave Annie a cut.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Lurdiak posted:

You have to be polite to dead people who are courteous to you.

Well yes, a man of Smitty's excaliber can endurendal, so there's no need to be curtana.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost
Guess Parley gets to be the Demon of the Annan Waters now. Until another group of young students pulls a better plan out of the corpse of Smitty and releases her.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lurdiak posted:

Maybe he feels bad that his girlfriend gave Annie a cut.

He's had to lay down there and watch as Jeanne killed hundreds of things over hundreds of years. He must feel pretty bad.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

Cat Mattress posted:

Well yes, a man of Smitty's excaliber can endurendal, so there's no need to be curtana.

Yeah, but he's not exactly going to be joyeuse about it.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Wow elf dude's situation just becomes more hosed up the more we find out.

I thought the Court just killed him.

And then thought they killed him and trapped his soul in the arrow.

But now it looks like they just pinned him the riverbed. Immobile, but aware. Doomed the decay, but not died. Forced to watch his lover be twisted into a murderghost.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

No, he was facedown.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

annie was in the ether for at least part of her stay down at the banks, when she got the cut on her cheek. it may be that the band fell down to him in the ether, somehow, which is how he ended up holding it even in his ether prison earlier this chapter

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Serious non-pun based speculation: I wonder if he's linked to the tictocs

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Actually I think I know what is going on with smitty. It is a soul knife, like the cut Annie has that you only see in the aether. If Annie uses her blink stone she is going to see silly string and blood pouring out of smitty.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

There Bias Two posted:

I think it's the same hair clip her mother wore

Yeah, probably so.

(here)

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Knowing Tony, it's probably literally all she has of her mother's.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

She has the most precious keepsake of all, her mother's soul

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne

you were warned posted:

Yeah, probably so.

(here)

I'm not sure, Surma seems to be wearing a tie rather than a clip. A couple of pages after the one you linked, you see the other side of it when her head is facing the other way.

The end of chapter page - http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=359 - shows another angle where it's more clearly a tie rather than a clip.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wonder if the clip is fireproof, seeing as how Annie is occasionally on fire.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

Noonsaliwah posted:

I'm not sure, Surma seems to be wearing a tie rather than a clip. A couple of pages after the one you linked, you see the other side of it when her head is facing the other way.

The end of chapter page - http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=359 - shows another angle where it's more clearly a tie rather than a clip.

Oh, oops. Never mind then. Hey, it's the same color, so maybe it's still from her v:v:v

Aw, that's such a good and sad chapter.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Makes me wonder how many other recurring themes in Surma's story appear in Annie's story.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

RandomPauI posted:

Split the difference, the wound isn't leaking because all the blood that wanted to leak out formed a protective clot around the entrance wound. What happens to the clot after the blade is removed poses it's own problems but Smitty's got this.
Somehow he is just incredibly lucky, this Smitty guy.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Noonsaliwah posted:

It just looks elongated there. You can see it's a pair of matching clips in other panels:

http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=544

http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=791

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

New page, blood, :rip:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
And now we see the affirmation of last chapter's "the problem with these powers is that the luck powers can produce your desired outcome at the expense of other things". Smitty wanted to make sure Parley was safe. His powers arranged that outcome through whatever string of circumstances they could.

I think he might actually eat it. :smith:

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
ok for a second I was worried that he was going to say, "what... are you talking about? All she got was this packet of ketchup I luckily had in my jacket"

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Andy

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

RIP

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
WHAT'S THAT SMELL? IT'S THE BLUUUUUUUUUUUUD!

All right Smits, even if this kills you, at least you went out with a cool line.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Look Smitty you're dying in her arms, you can stop trying to impress her already.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Jesus Christ lady, teleport him to hospital already. You had one two jobs, don't gently caress up the second one too.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Lurdiak posted:

Look Smitty you're dying in her arms, you can stop trying to impress her already.
Must have been something she said.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
He's going out in a cliche manner but Smitty never had formal training in screenplay composition or dramatic improv so he gets a pass.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Well, that makes that Dr Disaster movie poster oddly prophetic.
Smitty died and he did nothing

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Iceclaw posted:

Pretty fitting since Smitty spent his entire life winning by doing absolutely nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6PxRwgjzZw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Iceclaw posted:

Was that the poster at the start of the moon chapter, the end page where he's watching kids in trouble, or something else?