Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Silver2195 posted:

As you point out, the red dragon is oddly passive.
I'm choosing to interpret it as they're both Tiamat, and the elven sorcerer is frantically trying to undo their botched teleport of the entire party onto her neck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Leperflesh posted:

gameinformer

watermarked this image of a product that isn't theirs

licky boom-boom down

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Empty Sandwich posted:

licky boom-boom down

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

lmao

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Silver2195 posted:

they’ll realize the adventurers are in no real danger because they have an ancient gold dragon on their side.

'When the elephants fight, the grass gets trampled.'

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Facebook Aunt posted:

'When the elephants fight, the grass gets trampled.'

So cast spike growth

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Kaal posted:

Yeah exactly, and that’s really not a bad thing either. It’s basically threatening players to have a good time. Have some transporter accidents, boarding actions, decontamination failures, or splinching. The entire premise of Stargate was that they had a permanent Teleportation Circle. Incorporating player ideas like this are one of the best parts of D&D, and spending a couple of sessions building up to a reward of “fancy captain’s quarters” is a great way to keep players invested. To my mind, this a great example of how, just as in improvisational theater, DMs should always strive to find ways to say “Yes, and …”

Exactly! It's all basically restyling existing methods of how they're able to achieve these same goals, anyway. And it's fun! Some of our best sessions have just been myself, the GM and the other players stuffing around doing fun/funny things like this - it's always good fun!

Leperflesh posted:

also, gradually and stealthily "house-rule" the rules until you're literally playing Star Trek Adventures without your players realizing it

Also this. Gradually add some hooks for when whatever their current quest they're doing is done. Then they'll get roped into something new you've planted, then before they know it, they're playing Star Trek Gate!

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Thoughts on an alternative to Silvery Barbs? One of my players has it, and its lovely to house rule the spell out, but it basically means the enemies never crit which is an important part of battle momentum. I thought about something like it doesn't work on attacks but giving them an extra use or something like that? Thematically it's also kinda silly and clearly designed to be used in non combat encounters but dnd is all combat so...

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Elendil004 posted:

Thoughts on an alternative to Silvery Barbs?

I guess it depends on what you are trying to preserve here. If you want your PCs to have a low cost means of disrupting enemy rolls there are already so many ways to do that. If you want to up the ante so players don't overuse it just put enemies with Counterspell into all encounters so players will have to burn a 3rd level slot if they really want to stop a crit. If you want to make it only affect non-attack and non-save rolls then just get rid of it entirely.

The better option is to modify it heavily. Add a save to resist it. Remove the gift of advantage from it. Make it impose disadvantage instead of a fresh roll.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
it's something you'll want to cast every chance you get because it's the best option for that resource (reaction). it's a great defensive utility for a game that doesn't have much in the way of healing, but that's solving for a dumb problem to have. outside of contested rolls, out of combat I'm not doing a lot of rolling as the dm. Aside from limiting it to like... once per encounter* and maybe it gives you something if they still hit I would just give it the boot.

*still mad they took away the at will, encounter, daily ability structure.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Do constitution modifiers apply to using a hit die to recover HP during short rest?

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
According to reddit yes, but I'm at work and can't check my PHB

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Tias posted:

Do constitution modifiers apply to using a hit die to recover HP during short rest?

i didnt think so but i looked it up and, you do. my players are gonna be pissed

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Elendil004 posted:

Thoughts on an alternative to Silvery Barbs? One of my players has it, and its lovely to house rule the spell out, but it basically means the enemies never crit which is an important part of battle momentum. I thought about something like it doesn't work on attacks but giving them an extra use or something like that? Thematically it's also kinda silly and clearly designed to be used in non combat encounters but dnd is all combat so...

Strixhaven is filled with a lot of potent material, and the overriding balancing factor was the idea that everyone would be a spell caster and have access to the same stuff. I think the material often can cause problems for campaigns outside of the setting. However, changing the text of the spell around, particularly after a player has begun using it successfully, will be tricky. It might be good to have a side chat with the player and see what they think would work well moving forward.

To my mind, I’d lean towards removing the spell from the game rather than getting into a debate about how it’s intended to be used. You could do this either out of game (telling players that Strixhaven materials / Silvery Barbs specifically aren’t meshing with the game and removing them) or in-game (have a quest where a Strixhaven Oracle / Dean shows up and needs the party’s help to repair the plane and remove those spells - leaving a party reward, of course).

Kaal fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 17, 2024

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Zurreco posted:

The better option is to modify it heavily. Add a save to resist it. Remove the gift of advantage from it. Make it impose disadvantage instead of a fresh roll.
I've always thought it should be level 2, because it feels like it's competing for more resources then. They're not going to want to burn through all their level 2s the way they casually burn through level 1s, at least not until higher levels when they probably have better options anyway.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Every spell caster on the plane begins abusing Silvery Barbs and it is shredding the fabric of reality. What was isn’t and what could be will never be. Your quest will lead you all the way to a confrontation with Mystra to have it erased or will it? Not if Silvery Barbs has anything to say about it…

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Ominous Jazz posted:

it's something you'll want to cast every chance you get because it's the best option for that resource (reaction). it's a great defensive utility for a game that doesn't have much in the way of healing, but that's solving for a dumb problem to have. outside of contested rolls, out of combat I'm not doing a lot of rolling as the dm. Aside from limiting it to like... once per encounter* and maybe it gives you something if they still hit I would just give it the boot.

*still mad they took away the at will, encounter, daily ability structure.

Oh this is a level one spell, I thought it was a cantrip.
it's fine

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Take Silvery Barbs away from the wizard and let rogues cast it instead

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

megane posted:

This

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

megane posted:

HE IS THE ROGUE!

His main complaint is there isn't much else at lvl 1 for an arcane trickster so I think I'll let him swap it for any lvl 1 spell off any list because nothing is going to be worse. Any good suggestions?

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 17, 2024

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Anyone can cast if if they take the Fey Touched feat!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I can definitely see making it a level 2 spell to limit it to more dedicated casters and increase the resource cost. If someone is willing to burn through those resources on defensive utility then cool, that's what they want to do with their character. Extra survivability is the reward and less level 2 spells is the cost.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Elendil004 posted:

HE IS THE ROGUE!

His main complaint is there isn't much else at lvl 1 for an arcane trickster so I think I'll let him swap it for any lvl 1 spell off any list because nothing is going to be worse. Any good suggestions?

Silent Image and Find Familiar are good ones, if he hasn’t already picked them up. Disguise Self, Shield, Mage Armor, or Absorb Elements are decent options for the third spell off any list. Realistically it’ll be a bit of a step down in power no matter what he chooses, simply because Silvery Barbs is basically a pocket Lucky feat.

https://rpgbot.net/dnd5/characters/classes/rogue/arcane-trickster-spells/#spells-1

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Elendil004 posted:

HE IS THE ROGUE!

All the spells he can choose are good spells overall, but they just might not fit his niche/he doesn't have high int/not useful for your particular game.

Mind Sliver is good because it's an int save and does a little damage, but if you don't have any features involving saving throws it requires teamwork.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
I wonder how many Silvery Barbs users just look up what spells are most OP. Probably a lot since it’s tucked away in a MTG branded sourcebook.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

imagine dungeons posted:

I wonder how many Silvery Barbs users just look up what spells are most OP. Probably a lot since it’s tucked away in a MTG branded sourcebook.

theyre all critical role & dimension 20 watchers

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
lmao, critical role/dimension 20 fan players I've found are far more likely to pick just the absolute most suboptimal poo poo in the world because it'd be fun for their character.

No one(most people) is out here buying and or reading books for the spells they pick.

What's more likely is that yeah they are googling recommended spells or whatever and silvery barbs shows up. Or skimming through spells since It's also pretty obvious that if you skim through the level 1 spells in 5e the handful of ones that are absurdly good.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

scary ghost dog posted:

theyre all critical role & dimension 20 watchers

I only learned about it from this thread, so thanks y’all!

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
It's a bullshit spell and I intend to ban Strixhaven (and probably Wildemount) content from all of my campaigns going forward, unless I was running a game in those particular settings. I restricted it pretty heavily for my player who had already chose it and singlehandedly upended like 3 different non-combat encounters with it before I nerfed it in line with other 1st level spells. Imposing disadvantage on any roll while simultaneously gaining advantage on the next role, as a reaction, as a first level spell? It makes every contested action between the party and any adversary a near guaranteed success unless you stack the opposition with counterspellers and silvery barbs casters too, which is profoundly unfun for the other players and the GM. If it's used to it's full potential, it's just so absolutely disruptive to the campaign to a degree that even a lot of 8th level spells aren't

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
my problem with silvery barbs, and its evil cousin gift of gab, is that its extremely unclear what the spell actually does in-game and is impossible to narrate

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

scary ghost dog posted:

my problem with silvery barbs, and its evil cousin gift of gab, is that its extremely unclear what the spell actually does in-game and is impossible to narrate

Reminds me of this coin:

Kaal
May 22, 2002

scary ghost dog posted:

Gift of Gab is just talking past someone in a convincing way. Silvery Barbs is definitely vague though. I generally portray it as sweeping CGI spell effects a la Harry Potter or Marvel.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Kaal posted:

Silent Image and Find Familiar are good ones, if he hasn’t already picked them up. Disguise Self, Shield, Mage Armor, or Absorb Elements are decent options for the third spell off any list. Realistically it’ll be a bit of a step down in power no matter what he chooses, simply because Silvery Barbs is basically a pocket Lucky feat.

https://rpgbot.net/dnd5/characters/classes/rogue/arcane-trickster-spells/#spells-1

He has Glassstaff's Staff which does Shield and Mage Armor already so he's got that covered.

scary ghost dog posted:

I think it makes sense for a non combat check. The enemy rolls to deceive you, or to see through your deception, but you hit with with a barb so smooth that it knocks him off his game and he loses his train of thought.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Elendil004 posted:

He has Glassstaff's Staff which does Shield and Mage Armor already so he's got that covered.

I think it makes sense for a non combat check. The enemy rolls to deceive you, or to see through your deception, but you hit with with a barb so smooth that it knocks him off his game and he loses his train of thought.

if the “barb” is a witticism or retort then it should be limited to the bard spell list

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dexo posted:

lmao, critical role/dimension 20 fan players I've found are far more likely to pick just the absolute most suboptimal poo poo in the world because it'd be fun for their character.

No one(most people) is out here buying and or reading books for the spells they pick.

What's more likely is that yeah they are googling recommended spells or whatever and silvery barbs shows up. Or skimming through spells since It's also pretty obvious that if you skim through the level 1 spells in 5e the handful of ones that are absurdly good.

If you're part of the "online community" at all it's impossible to not hear about how Silvery Barbs is the most controversial spell. No googling necessary.

imagine dungeons posted:

LOL if you think most players are buying books at all. Personally I used Wikidot when making a caster on DnD Beyond because the wikidot interface is easier to use. (DnD Beyond would only allow me to take spells I "owned" on their platform, so I was't pirating anything, I just prefer the interface for looking things up.)

So if I open the 1st level tab for wizard spells here http://dnd5e.wikidot.com/spells:wizard I get every legal wizard spell from every book in an alphabetical list. "Discovering" Slivery Barbs yourself and recognising that it is good isn't difficult even if you've never heard of it before. It's not tucked away in an obscure book, it's right there on the list with all the rest.

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

Facebook Aunt posted:

If you're part of the "online community" at all it's impossible to not hear about how Silvery Barbs is the most controversial spell. No googling necessary.

If I hear about a player picking 'Silvery Barbs' without giving the DM a head's up though, I am assuming they are either not online or new enough not to really consider just how disruptive the spell could be.

And if they do google, are they more likely to trust Reddit and its pages about whining about anything and everything or are they going to trust the official DnD Beyond article: 'Silvery Barbs: Snatch a Victory From the Jaws of Your Enemies' Defeat '

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

the worst part of it is making so many people write "silvery" as though it's a word a person would actually use

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

"i cast silvery barbs" at what, the goldy dragon? disgusting.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
the golden dragon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Silvery Barbs is almost a perfectly fine spell. Almost because there is one use that's actually broken; forcing the enemy to reroll successful saving throws (effectively casting a higher level save or suck spell again for the low, low price of a reaction and a first level slot). For defending against attacks Shield or Absorb Elements are much more reliable. Out of combat uses are mostly annoying and it needs to be better written.