Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Scientastic posted:

Is that Fahrenheit or Centrigrade? Because upping the temperature by 50C sounds like a LOT... And I only have one chance to get it right for eating at a Saturday picnic.

Fahrenheit. No time for a trial run?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Better to cook the figs down a bit before assembly and baking instead of mucking with temperature imo, since that would affect the crust as well.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Fahrenheit. No time for a trial run?

No, sadly not. It was a whim, and the people I’m cooking for are nice enough that it doesn’t matter if it’s not perfect, but I’d like to give it my best shot!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

BrianBoitano posted:

Better to cook the figs down a bit before assembly and baking instead of mucking with temperature imo, since that would affect the crust as well.

Buh? Is this some weird autocorrect from "plums"?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Also, I want to peel the plums first: I was thinking score the skin and plunge into boiling water. Any reason why that’s not a sensible course of action?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

ExecuDork posted:

Buh? Is this some weird autocorrect from "plums"?

In my defense, it was on the previous page, it doesn't change my recommendation, and I'm a dum-dum

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Scientastic posted:

Also, I want to peel the plums first: I was thinking score the skin and plunge into boiling water. Any reason why that’s not a sensible course of action?

Makes sense to me, just like a tomato. If you're gonna follow BrianB's tip, you might try roasting them. That way you'd get a bit of pre-cooking AND the skins would slip right off.
(Disclaimer: I have never cooked a plum in my life, but I remember reading that in one of my canning books.)

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I’ve done them on the barbecue before and the skin does just slide off, so that’s not a bad idea

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Scientastic posted:

it would work but why on earth would you want to remove the skins?

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

HappyCamperGL posted:

To make a mask out of your victims.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Would you peel them before stoning them, or afterwards? I guess it depends on how ripe your plums are, but doing it before hand sounds like it might lead to a huge sticky mess.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

HappyCamperGL posted:

Because a tarte tatin shouldn’t have thin layers of bitty peel in it.

In the end, I blanched and plunged into iced water, which didn’t work, then I roasted them for a bit, which didn’t work, then I used a peeler, which, because of the previous treatments, meant I got very sticky.

But they got peeled, the tarte is just out of the oven now.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Any good Shrimp Scampi recipes? I've been looking at this since it looks easy.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Scientastic posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a plum tatin where the plums were peeled, but you be you.

obi_ant posted:

That looks pretty standard. Scampi (the dish) should be easy, it's a dead simple thing. You can tart it up in various ways, but at heart its just a lot of butter, a splash of white wine, some onion or shallot, some garlic, and some shrimp or langoustines. In America the most common presentation seems to be over pasta (e.g. fettuccine) or rice, but the classic form of the dish (if you care about such things, and I'm not saying you should) is just langoustines plated with the garlic butter sauce and paired with crusty bread.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Scientastic posted:

In the end, I blanched and plunged into iced water, which didn’t work, then I roasted them for a bit, which didn’t work, then I used a peeler, which, because of the previous treatments, meant I got very sticky.

But they got peeled, the tarte is just out of the oven now.

For an apple or pear tartes absolutely; but peeling plums just seems like pointless faf. Just half and stone them.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

obi_ant posted:

Yeah, that's a pretty standard recipe. If you want to get all :effort:, there's a couple things you can do beyond what that recipe says.

1) Take the shells and make a quick stock out of them. Just toss the shells in a small pot with just enough water to cover, and simmer until you get bored. No need to include any veggies or anything with this, you're not making a soup so you don't need fancy layers of flavor. Add a splash of that shrimp stock in with the wine to boost the shrimpiness.

2) Brine the peeled shrimp in salt and baking soda. Easiest brine is to just toss the shrimp with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon baking soda per pound of shrimp, no added water, and let it rest in the fridge for 15-30 minutes or so.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
For Scampi, I made this one last weekend. Was great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBVlCSWH4Eo

Only change I made was tossing the shrimp shells in the oil right before tossing in the wine to make a pseudo shrimp stock from the wine.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Tendales posted:

2) Brine the peeled shrimp in salt and baking soda. Easiest brine is to just toss the shrimp with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon baking soda per pound of shrimp, no added water, and let it rest in the fridge for 15-30 minutes or so.

Out of curiosity, what does the baking soda do for the brine? Never heard of that.
I do a similar brine when making shrimp fra diavlo, tossing peeled shrimp in a tablespoon of olive oil with a hefty handful of kosher salt and some crushed red pepper flake for about 15-20 minutes while I get the rest of my mise in its place. What would baking soda bring to this party?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

It’s supposed to make shrimp stay plumper and juicier during cooking.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Anyone have a spice storage solution they like / spice jars they'd recommend? I feel like every time I go looking I only find jars that are too small, either in capacity or the opening (can't fit my tablespoon in.) or big honkin spice jar sets that come with a rack and a bunch of spices I don't need. Right now I'm kind of lazily storing the bags in a drawer and it's getting to be really cluttered as I collect more spices and I feel like it's probably not doing much to keep them fresh.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Out of curiosity, what does the baking soda do for the brine? Never heard of that.

Chemmy posted:

It’s supposed to make shrimp stay plumper and juicier during cooking.

Here's just one example:

quote:

Before we dive into the details, there's one technique that we've found improves all shrimp, regardless of cooking method: a quick brine of salt and baking soda. It may sound minor, but the combination works wonders: the salt helps keep the shrimp nice and moist as they cook, while alkaline baking soda delivers a crisp, firm texture. You're looking for about 1 teaspoon of kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda for every pound of shrimp; give it a quick toss and rest the shrimp in the fridge for anywhere from 15 minutes to about an hour.
https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/10/how-to-cook-shrimp-grill-poach-stir-fry-saute.html

WARNING: YOU CANNOT BRINE YOUR SHRIMP IN BAKING SODA AND MARINADE IN LEMON JUICE SIMULTANEOUSLY.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Oxyclean posted:

Anyone have a spice storage solution they like / spice jars they'd recommend? I feel like every time I go looking I only find jars that are too small, either in capacity or the opening (can't fit my tablespoon in.) or big honkin spice jar sets that come with a rack and a bunch of spices I don't need. Right now I'm kind of lazily storing the bags in a drawer and it's getting to be really cluttered as I collect more spices and I feel like it's probably not doing much to keep them fresh.

I use a small rack on the wall with uniform glass jars that came as a set cheap on Amazon and I put all my bags and bulk spice jars in a plastic storage box that gets tossed in the back of the cupboard or in an out of the way cabinet. From there I just refill the small glass jars as needed. This rack is mounted in arms reach of my cook prep area.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I bought a rack from Vertical Spice a few years ago (https://www.verticalspice.com/) and we've been super happy with it, except that even a big installation ends up feeling small. When I set it up, I was less into cooking than I am now, and 30 bottles' worth of spices seemed like a lot. Now it feels a little constricting.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

Ball jars. Actual Ball jars come in sizes down to 4oz (in both a normal Ball jar shape and in a shorty that's about as wide as it is tall), and you can get generic mason jars even smaller. But I mostly use 4oz Ball jars for smallish quantities of spices from the garden, and 8oz Ball jars for stuff that gets made in larger batches---dry rubs and that kind of thing---whole dried peppers, and so on.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

ulmont posted:

WARNING: YOU CANNOT BRINE YOUR SHRIMP IN BAKING SODA AND MARINADE IN LEMON JUICE SIMULTANEOUSLY.

I'm hoping there's a story here. If so, get yourself over to the Disiasters thread and :justpost:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

ulmont posted:

My shrimp scampi volcano is the best!

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

The scampi was a hit with the few guests that I had. It was so dead rear end simple too. I did up the butter by like two tablespoons.

Edit: Should I get a regular potato masher, or a potato ricer? I usually don't like buying tools for one specific thing, but I've been using a fork to mash my potatoes and it is such a pain.

obi_ant fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 5, 2018

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
So I had this Ikea wok and the nonstick surface was flaking off. I asked about this a bunch of pages ago and the consensus was "scrap it," but I can't help it, I'm sentimental and stubborn. I wanted to see what it would look like cleaned up, so without too much effort I sanded and ground everything off - it's hard to show in photos but it's down to bare steel everywhere, no coating at all anymore. My question, before I spend more time polishing it evenly, is...can I eat from it? Or is there still poo poo there that I can't see, that's bad for me? If it's not safe that's fine, I'll just put a plant in it or something.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

obi_ant posted:

Edit: Should I get a regular potato masher, or a potato ricer? I usually don't like buying tools for one specific thing, but I've been using a fork to mash my potatoes and it is such a pain.

Get a ricer, it’ll change your life

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

obi_ant posted:

I vote wire masher as best tool for the job. If you wanna go scorched Earth on them spuds get a food mill.

I use my wire potato masher to incorporate soups I don't feel like blending to smooth and to break up ground meat for tacos and Bolognese, among other things.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

jackpot posted:

So I had this Ikea wok and the nonstick surface was flaking off. I asked about this a bunch of pages ago and the consensus was "scrap it," but I can't help it, I'm sentimental and stubborn. I wanted to see what it would look like cleaned up, so without too much effort I sanded and ground everything off - it's hard to show in photos but it's down to bare steel everywhere, no coating at all anymore. My question, before I spend more time polishing it evenly, is...can I eat from it? Or is there still poo poo there that I can't see, that's bad for me? If it's not safe that's fine, I'll just put a plant in it or something.

In theory it should be okay on a standard stove because even if there's teflon left behind it should be safe below 600 degrees.

On the other hand, what good is a wok if you're not getting it above 600 degrees

obi_ant posted:

Be like me, get both

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

obi_ant posted:

Food mill to rice the potatoes and then a potato masher to work in whatever you're adding to them.

Food mills seem to be slightly out of fashion but I use mine all the drat time for mashed potatoes, apple sauce, and poo poo like that.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I bought a potato masher years ago, then a ricer specifically for potatoes, and then a food mill for pizza sauce

Now the potato masher only gets used for sweet potatoes or avocados if I’m making guacamole. The ricer never gets used. The food mill gets used for pizza sauce and mashed potatoes all the time.

I recommend a food mill-it just seems so versatile for what I need.

What else do people use ricers for? I’m thinking of trashing mine since it’s a bitch to clean and I never really use it anymore.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I want one for potato bread

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I use my ricer to make delicious creamy mash, and I wash it by putting it in the dishwasher. It’s great

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Steve Yun posted:

On the other hand, what good is a wok if you're not getting it above 600 degrees
My wok cooking is not so...intense. Thanks!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

obi_ant posted:

The scampi was a hit with the few guests that I had. It was so dead rear end simple too. I did up the butter by like two tablespoons.

You've discovered the secret to good cooking! MORE BUTTER

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I'd say get a potato masher, I also use mine for refried beans. Plus they're super easy to clean.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Oh yeah I forgot beans and avocadoes when I was listing masher applications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Eeyo posted:

I'd say get a potato masher, I also use mine for refried beans. Plus they're super easy to clean.

I wonder if a ricer would skin the beans